• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man fatally shot while playing Pokemon Go in San Francisco

Status
Not open for further replies.

Justified

Tragic! Please be careful and vigilant out there

Police said a 20-year-old man died after being shot at Aquatic Park in San Francisco Saturday night.

The man was identified as Calvin Riley. His cousin said he was shot while playing Pokemon Go with a group of people.

A friend said Riley and a friend noticed someone suspicious watching them from the top of a hill that overlooks the park, but it was dark and they were looking down most of the time as they looked at their cellphones.

Riley died in what friends and family are calling a random attack. "From what we know there was no confrontation. There was nothing said back and forth. It was just senseless, just came up and shot in the back and ran away for nothing," Family friend John Kirby said.

Kirby is a close family friend. He's speaking on behalf of the parents who are too devastated to talk. "There was a large group of people playing Pokemon and then his buddy started playing, as well. Calvin got a little bit ahead of his friend and kind of went around a corner," he said.

Kirby said the pair noticed someone watching them. "Then when the friend came around a corner he heard a gunshot, saw his friend fall, and whoever did it ran away and possibly got into a car," he said.

http://abc7news.com/news/man-fatally-shot-while-playing-pokemon-go-in-san-francisco/1460666/

brian577

Banned
Not sure how Pokemon Go is relevant. The guy could have been texting somebody and it would have been just as a tragic and senseless.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
senseless violence... not much to say here other than how fucked up it is.

Talka

:(

That's a pretty nice part of town, too. I used to go for runs through that area almost every night.

ISOM

My bet is a gang initiation thing. Such bullshit.

Damn wtf. RIP.

Sounds like a gang initiation or the perpetrator got spooked and didn't rob the guy.

Fucking senseless.

Isn't San Francisco home to the Zodiac Killer? I don't know why you wouldn't rule out a person who just wanted to murder and took advantage of the situation. It especially sounds creepy when his friend said that they were being watched.

kaiju

Not sure how Pokemon Go is relevant. The guy could have been texting somebody and it would have been just as a tragic and senseless.

I disagree. The game is leading people into places they normally probably wouldn't venture into at that time of night.

Still a completely fucked scenario regardless. Hope they catch the killer and fast.

M52B28

Banned
Yeah. It's definitely a clickbaity title.
No, it isn't clickbait. It's as simple as it sounds.. Pokemon Go has people going out to places they would not normally be, and it has people glued to their phones more than they usually would. People out playing Pokemon Go should not be pooled together with people who are texting.

I don't understand why so many dismiss some Pokemon Go articles as sensational, especially when something like this comes along.

Justified

Yeah. It's definitely a clickbaity title.

It relevant because He was playing/distracted by Pokemon Go, and the fact that Pokemon GO put him at that place and time.

A friend said Riley and a friend noticed someone suspicious watching them from the top of a hill that overlooks the park, but it was dark and they were looking down most of the time as they looked at their cellphones.

Texting doesnt require the full attention as playing Pokemon Go does

Of course he wasnt murder because he was playing it, but it factored into him being murder by a scumbag

Nephtis

On places where a lot of us go to play Pokemon Go I've noticed a significant police presence. That's put me at ease.

One time I went to a graveyard with some friends and there was this creepy dude that wasn't moving at all. We thought it was a statue but nope, just some dude. He would stare at us and it wasn't just a regular stare - it was a "you're gonna die" stare. We just kept walking but we were all totally creeped out - he eventually left, but one of us had the phone ready to dial 911 if needed. A few were packing heat though so it's not like we were defenseless, but still.

We all decided we were very foolish to venture out there at night.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Isn't San Francisco home to the Zodiac Killer? I don't know why you wouldn't rule out a person who just wanted to murder and took advantage of the situation. It especially sounds creepy when his friend said that they were being watched.

What? One serial killer half a century ago who only killed one person in San Francisco itself means the city has a rep for random violence now? Come on.

No, it isn't clickbait. It's as simple as it sounds.. Pokemon Go has people going out to places they would not normally be, and it has people glued to their phones more than they usually would. People out playing Pokemon Go should not be pooled together with people who are texting.

I don't understand why so many dismiss some Pokemon Go articles as sensational, especially when something like this comes along.

The article doesn't mention a specific time. Unless they were out at like 3am in some bad neighborhood because they wanted to catch a Drowzee, Pokémon Go is not relevant. They were not trespassing or venturing into an inherently dangerous area. This could have been anyone, doing anything.

It relevant because He was playing/distracted by Pokemon Go, and the fact that Pokemon GO put him at that place and time.

Texting doesnt require the full attention as playing Pokemon Go does

Of course he wasnt murder because he was playing it, but it factored into him being murder by a scumbag
It could have been anything else. Ask yourself this: if he was playing, say, Candy Crush, do you think the article would've been titled "Man Shot While Playing Candy Crush"? Probably not.

Also I don't see how his lack of attention is relevant either. Not like he could've seen it coming regardless.

Dalek

Not sure why Pokémon was relevant to the headline. He didn't get into an argument with someone about it or walk into someone's backyard because of the game. He was randomly killed while on his phone.

Justified

The article doesn't mention a specific time. Unless they were out at like 3am in some bad neighborhood because they wanted to catch a Drowzee, Pokémon Go is not relevant. They were not trespassing or venturing into an inherently dangerous area. This could have been anyone, doing anything.

It could have been anything else. Ask yourself this: if he was playing, say, Candy Crush, do you think the article would've been titled "Man Shot While Playing Candy Crush"? Probably not.

Also I don't see how his lack of attention is relevant either. Not like he could've seen it coming regardless.

It was around 10pm when this happened, it could have been anything you are right, but since it was Pokemon Go thats what makes it relevant

If his friend said they notice someone watching them but were too busy playing Candy Crush Yea I think it would.

This is a tragedy through and through, but playing Pokemon Go Put him around that corner, and lowered his guard as a result of it taking his attention away

Justified

guns fulfilling their sole purpose

Doesnt sound like the person accidentally killed him, but had unknown intentions.

Im sure if he had a knife, he would have waited around the corner and stab him

I say that to say it was the Gun that killed this young man, but POS scumbag

Justified

or comically dropped a plugged in toaster into his bubble bath sure

Of course that doesnt make sense in this scenerio unless you are suggestion solely having the Gun is what made the scumbag want to kill, and not his own sick mind.

Ill rather not get into a "gun debate" though

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day

I don't think Ted Cruz has been in San Fran recently, though.

Awful. And inevitable. Out in the dark wandering around with an expensive phone out and with your guard completely down? Unfortunately more bad things will happen. Make sure we're not reading about one of you GAFers here. Go places during the day and be aware of your surroundings, day or night.

Do the things your mother taught you to do.

So he just shot one person in the back standing with group of people?

There's got to be more to the killing than just picking off the weakest in the herd, right? Why would the killer just stop at one unless that was the only person he planned to target?

I guess I'm just hoping there's more to the story because that's terrifying to imagine that he was senselessly killed for hanging out with friends past 10 pm.

Regardless of the details, R.I.P. to the deceased.

I disagree. The game is leading people into places they normally probably wouldn't venture into at that time of night.

Still a completely fucked scenario regardless. Hope they catch the killer and fast.

The game warns the player to not go into dangerous areas

But nevertheless, RIP

Tecnniqe

Banned
Watch your local news for more detailed information on this Pokemon Go violence pandemic.

If you can pull yourself away from your butt chugging bath salts rainbow parties that is.
Lmao.

Seems like a sad act of random violence and not directly related to the person playing P:GO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom