• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man of Medan Review Thread

Mista

Banned
capsule_616x353.jpg

God is a Geek: 9/10
Man of Medan builds on the solid foundation of Until Dawn. The decisions you make actively alter your experience, meaning you'll want to replay it over and over.

IGN: 7/10
It's not easy to keep everyone alive in Man of Medan, and you won't necessarily want to, especially in 2-player co-op.

GameSpot: 6/10
Man of Medan is a thinner, flawed follow-up to Until Dawn that is saved by its online co-op mode.

Twinfinite: 3/5
If you like other choose-your-own-adventure games like Until Dawn, Life is Strange, and Detroit: Become Human, there’s definitely fun to be had here, but it is a flawed experience compared to other recent efforts.

Press Start: 8/10
Man of Medan is a stellar example of how to push boundaries and innovate within genres that seem restrictive at first glance.

Our own lad @Karak ACG: Rent

Destructoid: 7/10
Supermassive Games is quickly proving that they have a knack for high budget adventure projects that many studios simply do not. I have no idea when the next "Dark Pictures universe" entry is coming, but I'll be waiting for it.

EuroGamer: No Recommendation
Supermassive's Dark Pictures anthology gets off to a promising start, but this first nautical instalment winds up a little too promptly.

RPG Site: 7/10
Supermassive's next step into horror starts strong.

USgamer: 3/5
With Man of Medan, Supermassive builds on the foundation established in 2015's Until Dawn. While the core of the game remains the same, driven by dialog, choices, and quick-time events, the developers has added some multiplayer action to the mix. The two-player online Shared Story is the primary highlight here, allowing two players to simultaneously determine the course of the story. Unfortunately, the story itself isn't as good as the horror yarn spun in Until Dawn.

TheSixthAxis: 7/10
Mad of Medan looks and sounds gorgeous, but it's spoiled by some technical issues and, depending on your choices, characters doing stupid things just so the plot can continue, both of which break the flow of what could have been a decent horror story. It's an excellent night or two's entertainment with a bunch of mates in a dark room and plenty of beer, though playing by yourself or online with a chum is an altogether more muted experience. This is a fair start to The Dark Pictures Anthology.

Spieltimes: 7/10
Despite having a decent story-line and a well-structured choice system, Man of Medan is a typical narrative experience ruined by a medley of messy controls.

Last edited:

I'm nobody

Prob only worth a rent ill wait till it turns up on ps plus or ps now. For them who not played until dawn yet it's a must way before this game because I can see this game doing them a little damage.

Pingal

Neo Member

7/10 - Despite having a decent story-line and a well-structured choice system, Man of Medan is a typical narrative experience ruined by a medley of messy controls. It does not present you with any moral dilemma, however, it may bring about horrifying premonitions. Therefore, one must tread carefully on uncharted territory and ponder whether probing deeper will have any inadvertent consequences.

Been watching and waiting for Reviews. Landing at about what I expected. Seems like $20 would be a good deal for it.

Mikey Jr.

Something about the name that if I was a casual, I would just completely ignore. Terrible name for a game imo, even if there is meaning behind it.

Kind of like that other game "Whore of the orient" that was being developed.

How long does one playthrough of the game take to finish? I feel like playing a horror game but I'd like something more substantial to keep me busy for at least 8 hours or so.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I love Until Dawn and even enjoyed Hidden Agenda and The Inpatient. But their output definitely seems to have gone down hill since Until Dawn.

I'm looking forward to this but maybe not right away. Come Halloween hopefully it'll be included in most storefront's "spooky sale" for a modest discount. In all honesty, I probably wouldn't play it until then anyway.

Stuart360

Something about the name that if I was a casual, I would just completely ignore. Terrible name for a game imo, even if there is meaning behind it.

The Medan incident is supposed to be a 'real' thing. I dont know about it myself but remember the voice actor talked about researching it.

Airbus Jr

Banned

Its based from true events bro

Has to be named that way

Hmmm will wait for Easy Allies review before I make a decision but this sounds like a let down after Until Dawn after hearing Karak's review.

blackjon24

Should have been an exclusive until dawn sequel.. what a shame I'll probably still get it (deeply discounted) but man was until dawn a cool experience

Last edited:

johntown

Banned
Seems like the game is just mediocre. Well I guess I will watch some Twitch streams to make a more informed decision.

In a review by a duch gaming site they said framerate drops often when jumping from scene to scene. When that happens voices can be out of sync with the characters mouth for up to one minute!
Damn...
They played it on a standard ps4

I'm starting to think that Until Dawn was a fluke. Did Supermassive make any games prior to UD that were actually any good? It sure as hell hasn't been smooth sailing since its release.

Fry

I don't like the look of this game. I don't know, it looks downright boring.

Liked Until Dawn but have no interest in this one.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I'm starting to think that Until Dawn was a fluke. Did Supermassive make any games prior to UD that were actually any good? It sure as hell hasn't been smooth sailing since its release.
Highly subjective but I would say no. Here is a list of their game releases, in chronological order:

Personally I thought their Doctor Who game was... okay? Kinda? Everything else was ports and/or trash in my opinion.

mcz117chief

As a big big fan of Until Dawn I am really looking forward to picking this up along with Astral Chain. The best thing is that I got enough store credit to get this game completely free :)

I didn't much care for Until Yawn but I'll check this out to see if they have leveled up their design on par with Quantic Dream... Or even DontNod.

😏

xrnzaaas

After watching Karak's review I'll be waiting for a sale just as he recommended. Having enough of the game after only a 4 hour first playthrough is not a good sign.

Last edited:

Tiamat2san

Pre-ordered , I can’t wait , I loved until dawn.
And there’s blairwitch the same day...
I won’t sleep that night!

bitbydeath

How long does one playthrough of the game take to finish? I feel like playing a horror game but I'd like something more substantial to keep me busy for at least 8 hours or so.

Someone on here said they played it and it took them 4.5 hours to beat. Not sure if that was a rushed play or whatever.

It’ll all come down to the pacing though.

I feel like noone is talking about Blair Witch - good or bad. Has there been any early impressions?

Not sure about any early impressions yet, but it launches soon so maybe tomorrow they start poppin up.

I have seen buncha gameplay videos and looks hella spooky/scary..hoping for decent reviews, a high 8s maybe 🤔😏

RavageX

Looks pretty good to me, I imagine if you didn't like Until Dawn and aren't into that style of game its not for you.

Although reviews are just professional opinions, so in the end opinions differ, i get the feeling that the scores it gets don't match with the actual text from the reviews.

For example:
"The deluge of branching paths and chilling atmosphere combine well enough with its brief yet keen story that invites players to repeatedly run through it. But an abundance of cheap jump scares, semi-frequent slowdown, and initially goofy cast members mean that it pales in comparison to Until Dawn; the studio’s magnum opus that all of its titles will forever be compared to."

or

"Mad of Medan looks and sounds gorgeous, but it's spoiled by some technical issues and, depending on your choices, characters doing stupid things just so the plot can continue, both of which break the flow of what could have been a decent horror story. It's an excellent night or two's entertainment with a bunch of mates in a dark room and plenty of beer, though playing by yourself or online with a chum is an altogether more muted experience. This is a fair start to The Dark Pictures Anthology."

or

"At its best, Man of Medan is every bit as gripping, beautiful, and giddily silly as Until Dawn, but technical issues, a rushed story, and a confusing approach to player choice betray the limited resources the game’s creators had to work with. Man of Medan is currently the best option for those desperate for more Until Dawn, but I'm hoping Supermassive Games can scare up something a little more substantial for future The Dark Pictures titles."

The score is 7 on all of these. I mean for a game of this genre the mini review at the list on metacritic describe a mediocre game, unless scoring has greatly changed so a 7 now means bad.

From my experience, finishing the game, the length, the technical issues, like slowdowns that occur on every scene change, many times during QTE's, the bad dialogs or catch phrases like characters keep saying i think we already saw this place or choises that don't make sense would fit perfectly on a score lower that the 7 for this type of game.

Last edited:

mcz117chief

Having a lot of fun with it myself. Maybe a bit less jump scares would be nice (some are pretty good though) and the voice quality is terrible in some scenes especially at the very start (I had to check my set-up because I genuinely thought it was acting up only to find out it was the game).

Dthomp

Just picked it up at my BB, and waiting for the update before I jump in. I absolutely loved Until Dawn so this was always going to be a day 1 for me. Had I paid more attention and read up (I like to be surprised by games) I may have gone digital to play with my wife but alas solo it is :)

bender

What time is it?
Just finished. Having loved Until Dawn, I'm really disappointed. The character introductions are too brief to find yourself interested in the well being of any of the cast. The dialog between characters is atrocious. The sound mix seems really off too. I'm have little desire to revisit the game for alternative outcomes.

mcz117chief

Just finished. Having loved Until Dawn, I'm really disappointed. The character introductions are too brief to find yourself interested in the well being of any of the cast. The dialog between characters is atrocious. The sound mix seems really off too. I'm have little desire to revisit the game for alternative outcomes.
Yeah that sound mix is legendary bad. I can't imagine someone green lit it.

Top Bottom