• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Managing games for PS5 and Xbox Series X: what's your plan?

Sushen

I didn't have much thoughts going into this generation and didn't plan on going all digital. But, both Sony and Xbox convinced me with many sales on last gen titles that I'm already running low on storage space for both systems.

I have to think what to do before the fall gaming season begins. The external XBOX storage is pricy for 1TB size and other solutions are slow. I think for PS5, I'll go with adding internal SSD once enabled if there is no thermal issue.

I'm torn on Xbox side. I'm curious what other fellow gamers are doing to handle the situation.

Last edited:

Jigga117

The same plan for every system before mange and/or make more space. I have two 1TB Expansion cards for both my Xbox Series X. 5 TB HDD on both for games that can be moved to internal and SSD external.

Kilau

Gold Member
Currently for both XSX and PS5 I’m using external 2TB SSDs which allows me plenty of room for older gen games. I won’t consider the expansion for Xbox until it’s at least 2TB, not sure what the heck Sony is going to allow or when.

Luckily I finally got uncapped 1Gb internet last fall so I can just download what I want super fast now making the storage situation less of a worry.

i already had an external for my Xbox last gen. So thats helping a ton over there. But slowly i keep running into the problem of getting that pop-up that says "Next Gen games need Next Gen Storage. U can store this on external but can only play from the Internal"

Im sorry Outriders aint good enough or pretty looking enough to be demanding any of my SSD space. And now games getting updated are doing that too once it downloads a patch.

I'll maybe splurge for the expansion card one day. But not for a year at least.

PS5, i been screwed since day one. I had that thing full like an hour after i fired it up. I guess i could get another external. But i'd rather use that money towards the expansion...but for some ungodly reason they launched this console with no space or way to expand it?

Cravis

I'm just gonna sit in a corner and cry.

I hate deleting games, I'll have that lingering thought in the back of my mind that I'll replay it someday and don't want to bother re-downloading.

I try finishing a game before installing a new one. But, as always, I‘ll end up with a big pile of shame after a few weeks and it will just be like always, total chaos.

Last edited:

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Now that PS5 games can be put on external drives for storage, I'll just continue to do that.

I was putting PS4 games there and picking n choosing what to put on the internal.

Once Sony unlocks the internal slot, I'll get one for that too.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Ps5 exclusives, under powered and not enough space for much else. PC for the bulk.

I didn't have much thoughts going into this generation and didn't plan on going all digital. But, both Sony and Xbox convinced me with many sales on last gen titles that I'm already running low on storage space for both systems.

I have to think what to do before the fall gaming season begins. The external XBOX storage is pricy for 1TB size and other solutions are slow. I think for PS5, I'll go with adding internal SSD once enabled if there is no thermal issue.

I'm torn on Xbox side. I'm curious what other fellow gamers are doing to handle the situation.
I have the expansion memory card for Xbox and I'll see what Sony does when they enable their expansion port. Seeing how I'm most likely getting only 1st party releases on PS5 I don't see me running out of space on that system any time soon.

Sushen

I'm just gonna sit in a corner and cry.

I hate deleting games, I'll have that lingering thought in the back of my mind that I'll replay it someday and don't want to bother re-downloading.
I'm the same way and that gives me headaches, haha.

ethomaz

Banned
I play the game, finish it, get the platinum and delete it.

I don’t keep replying games so I don’t need them on my storage... I just need the games I’m playing right now.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
I play the game, finish it, get the platinum and delete it.

I don’t keep replying games so I don’t need them on my storage... I just need the games I’m playing right now.

Exactly. This isn't a problem for me at all since I play one game at a time. I may have a few installed that I want to come back to later, but that isn't a lot.

sinisterpanda

Neo Member
I play max 5 games at the same time. I just uninstall games and download back when i want to play them again. Storage thing has never been an issue for me. Gimme 500 GB and it'll all be fine for me.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
Delete and re-download like I do with PC, takes no time and costs nothing.
warning.png

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
I'm using 1TB external on my PS5 for PS4 games and the internal storage only for PS5 games. Works like a charm. I always have space. But then again, I delete games when I feel I'm finished and I don't play games using up a lot of the storage (CoD, Apex Legend etc).

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
Don't understand caps for fiber and ADSL. We don't have that here since early dial-up.
It's old American 90s era internet boom companies trying to keep their monopoly, their base of the tree underground, while the bark and branches grow all around them.

Those of us who have no choice have to wait and see who will win the decade-long tug of war between Hollywood and ISPs.

small_law

For PS5, I ended up buying a 2 TB Samsung T7. The fastest you could probably do is something like the Asus Arion with a 2 TB nvme SSD installed (PCIe 3.0 speeds will work just fine), so you’re always hitting the USB 3.2 gen 2 ceilings. The T7 isn’t quite as fast, it’s something like 1000 Mbps read, but I got it on the cheap and it’s big enough to hold a lot of PS4 stuff while being faster than any external hdd or sata ssd. In the next month or two, I read somewhere That the white list for internal storage for PS5 is coming out. A 2 TB nvme SSD at PCIe 4.0 isn’t going to be cheap. In other words, don’t spend a lot of money on PS five external storage at the moment. It would be way better to get pricey internal storage and then maybe a mass storage HDD, but again, we’re waiting on the white list.

for Xbox, I didn’t get the extended storage yet. Because the connections are USB 3.2 gen 1 (The old USB 3.1) you can get an external sata ssd (Samsung T3 or T5) and use that for your Xbox one games. That’s what I have on there right now. I also have an 8 TB HDD For mass storage because unlike PlayStation, Xbox lets you hook up two external hard drives. Since I can transfer series X games to the SSD or the HDD, I’m not in a hurry to get the expansion card for my series X. I’ll do it eventually though.

Last edited:

FeldMonster

Just buy the expansion card and stop worrying about it. I assume anyone on this site is gaming for many hours per week and will have their console for years. Stop being a cheapskate.

Top Bottom