• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News Thread |OT4| New Ch/Vols! - SEE FIRST POST FOR RULES!

Status
Not open for further replies.

El Sloth

Banned
I think I know the reason anime live action movies always look terrible. It's because everyone is japanese. It just looks too ridiculous.l
I counter with the Dragonball:Evolution movie. Most anime live action movies are just terrible.
You have the anime/manga with characters that look like they're over varying races yet in the live action their all the same race and it just looks awful
I always find it interesting how people have their own image of what race/ethnicity a character in an anime or manga is.

Like that one dude in Bleach, the captain that wears the pink jacket with the flowers and has a bit of a beard. I remember two school friends arguing whether he was caucasian or hispanic. I always thought it was pretty obvious that everyone save for Tousen was of Japanese descent, but then they countered that it wouldn't make sense for the spirit world to only be comprised of Japanese people (and of course they're right, but I still have my doubts).

I counter with the Dragonball:Evolution movie. Most anime live action movies are just terrible.

I always find it interesting how people have their own image of what race/ethnicity a character in an anime or manga is.

Like that one dude in Bleach, the captain that wears the pink jacket with the flowers and has a bit of a beard. I remember two school friends arguing whether he was caucasian or hispanic. I always thought it was pretty obvious that everyone save for Tousen was of Japanese descent, but then they countered that it wouldn't make sense for the spirit world to only be comprised of Japanese people (and of course they're right, but I still have my doubts).

Well, it's not whether they're actually that race, it's what would look..."right"? I'd be like if they had a new A-Team movie and they made the cast all white so instead of getting a black guy to play Baracus (Mr. T's character) they just got a really tan white guy...it would just look off.

Jexemad

So who wants some Naruto spoilers!!!

1- Naruto has become the Jinjuriki of both the Kyubi and Four.
2- Naruto is out in the real world
3- Itachi and Sasuke seems to have another brother/sibling
4- Tobi wants to rule the world
5- Both Itachi and Sasuke were just pieces in Tobi/Madara's plan.
6- Kakashi knows more about this than he seems to show

lol.gif

God I hope these are real just so I can laugh some more.

Oh please please please let it be true! I really wanna laugh at my friend when he praises the "unimaginable twists".

Lain

Kiss of Rose Princess vol 6

I still don't get what kind of game Anis' father is playing. He's even involved Narumi in his dirty plans. I'm guessing volume 7 will shed some more light.

upandaway

TLR 113

That was pretty much the best chapter in the series so far.

Shaman King 75-76

I love how Ryu's hair is getting crazier and crazier. If I didn't see the steps, I wouldn't have been able to tell it was derived from his original hair. Seriously.

I think I know the reason anime live action movies always look terrible. It's because everyone is japanese. It just looks too ridiculous. You have the anime/manga with characters that look like they're over varying races yet in the live action their all the same race and it just looks awful

The Death Note Live Action movies looked terrible? I thought the Light Selected looked pretty great. (though I never read the manga, but watched 2 of the 3 movies)

tumblr_lkkcswEj041qjco05o1_500.png

scy

Gan-Kon 7 - Getting the feeling that Magami will find a way to turn human as well so we can harem get.

Shaman King 75-76

I love how Ryu's hair is getting crazier and crazier. If I didn't see the steps, I wouldn't have been able to tell it was derived from his original hair. Seriously.

SK is a carefully orchestrated series of things getting crazier and crazier. And some of those things are actually relevant to the plot.

scy

RealPG
tumblr_lxitowf6Rd1qcy6mr.jpg

Wow, this manga is pretty epic! More.

Stress! It'll come down to the abilities but I'm a sucker for this kind of thing. Also,
childhood friend destined to lose

Non-adult manga readers I assume.

This is like some weird Japanese thing with fake phimosis and other dumb shit. Manga characters often are self-conscious or the female makes remarks. Don't research into it but it is an often cited trope.

I suppose it's some kind of awkward inside joke.

Or maybe they're just all writing what they know...

...in hindsight, I don't care enough to go beyond that sentence.

survivor

Banned
Non-adult manga readers I assume.

This is like some weird Japanese thing with fake phimosis and other dumb shit. Manga characters often are self-conscious or the female makes remarks. Don't research into it but it is an often cited trope.

What kind of doujin manga are you reading son?

gunbo13

What kind of doujin manga are you reading son?
lol None actually. There's a good amount of manga out there that addresses this idea with a joke. I re-read My Balls not too long ago and there was a joke about it. I've seen other jokes where the MC is like I hope she didn't see my shit cause it has that condition, etc... It's some hang-up with Japan.

I of course have ZERO interest in this topic. I was just qualifying why the image BO posted had text for it.

EDIT:
Topic needs changing. I feel most manga I'm reading have the female characters increasing breast size over time. Discuss.

gunbo13

It's one of the most realistic aspects of some of those silly manga you guys were talking about

I see no issue
I often see female adults increase, younger females within days, and what I would call "into the void" boobs; someone hiding a giant rack inside a few mm of cloth. Discuss.
Since I inexplicably marathoned through Wolf Guy I know that there are 2 characters with that condition.
Sounds like a fun read.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
It's like someone turned a Bag of Holding into bandages.

survivor

Banned
Legend of the Strongest Man Kurosawa vol 3

THE CHEETAH IS DOWN
2819r.png

Kurosawa should run for president. He managed to convince an entire restaurant full of business people and random teenagers to watch him go beat down 3 middle school students. Amazing charisma

El Sloth

Banned
Well, it's not whether they're actually that race, it's what would look..."right"? I'd be like if they had a new A-Team movie and they made the cast all white so instead of getting a black guy to play Baracus (Mr. T's character) they just got a really tan white guy...it would just look off.
Well what I'm trying to get at is that everyone has their own idea of what looks "right". Yeah, of course your example would be super off-putting for most people, but I think it's a bit more complicated in the case of characters in manga where it's harder to tell what race/ethnicity a person is. Even supposed "American" characters with blond hair and blue eyes usually look no different than the regular cast otherwise and more so in black and white.

I feel like I may not be expressing my thoughts properly here. Please ignore if all this is incoherent. I'm on some weird no-name cold medicine.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I'm sure Japan is just crawling with fluent blacks trained in stage and musical acting...
Well I don't watch J-dramas/movies but skillful acting is not something I associate with Japanese television.

Particularly live action anime stuff.

Lol PGSM

scy

It's like someone turned a Bag of Holding into bandages.

Doesn't explain the vortex that is her hair. Where does it all go?

this is probably what happened.

http://i.imgur.com/Al8qol.png[IMG][/QUOTE]

I'm actually frightened by whatever this is.

Though, I really missed a good opportunity for a shot from Samurai High School. The binding in that is like Grand Jedi Mastery bullshit that makes Mayo Chiki seem like amateur hour.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom