• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OT13| Don't bite the dog that feeds the hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vito

Banned
Suddenly a breast monster appears:

breastmonster.png

Meat is best though:

The extra bonus chapters were fun as well (more Nikumi!)

I assume we can discuss webtoons here as well, like tower of god and nobelesse?

Of all the weekly manga these days, i find tower of fod to be most entertaining. New arc aka the hell train arc is about to start, and I'm exited.

and waiting for Sjingeki no Kyojin 61

Lain

Suzuka volume 3
Zndb.jpg

The only good thing about this is the cover. Well OK, some pages inside with the tanned girl are good too, like in the bathhouse because you can see her tits. The story keeps being pretty mediocre and the same applies to the characters in general. If a girl turns you down (or in the case of tanned girl a guy turns you down) move the fuck on you assholes. The world is full of fishes.
Also, I keep thinking that every girl looks the same with just a swapped wig.

Frankly speaking I don't want to think about why I keep spending money on Seo Kouji.
Better than wasting it on Urasawa, I guess.

I'm officially 20 years old now, yay.
Happy Birthday!

Usobuko

Banned
Frankly speaking I don't want to think about why I keep spending money on Seo Kouji.

My first exposure to Seo was Cross Over, I still have the full 7 volumes on my shelf. As someone who also read both KNIM and Suzuka, I'll say your intuition that Naoki Urasawa prove a better value of investment is true.

dramatis

the new Toriko and OP volumes just came out too
so it makes some sense

Other months have Toriko not even charting while other series volumes have some legs
Toriko usually charts in top 50 for three weeks after release. With the way Tokyo Ghoul is dominating the charts, Toriko will probably fall out of top 50 after 2 weeks instead.

Toriko always charts in top 10 on its first week.

Quasar

Suzuka volume 3
Zndb.jpg

The only good thing about this is the cover. Well OK, some pages inside with the tanned girl are good too, like in the bathhouse because you can see her tits. The story keeps being pretty mediocre and the same applies to the characters in general. If a girl turns you down (or in the case of tanned girl a guy turns you down) move the fuck on you assholes. The world is full of fishes.
Also, I keep thinking that every girl looks the same with just a swapped wig.

Better than wasting it on Urasawa, I guess.

That (or the anime version) was the start of my Seo fandom. He's also to blame for me reading manga at all with Suzuka.

Usobuko

Banned
I'm suffering from Alice in Borderland withdrawal. It's been 3 or 4 weeks since I last read the raws.

How good is No Game No Life? This piece of review from MAL doesn't inspire any confidence.

But since the rules are ambiguous and inconsistent for every game, their ability to outwit their opponents is underwhelming and anticlimactic. Magic also plays a role in the inconsistencies of these games. It is hard to explain what I am trying to imply here, but here’s an example. In Death Note, it’s a game between L and Kira, where L is the one trying to figure out how who Kira is and how he is cheating. So basically the objective of that game is to find out about the existence of the Death Note. And using those parameters, the game is being played out with thorough understanding of what’s going on from both sides. The rules in the Death Note are clearly laid out and printed in the notebook. THERE IS CONSISTENCY. What I am trying to say is that asspulls within the game will not happen even with the supernatural element behind it. Every game in NGNL has an asspull in it. Like the initial chess game with Sora jumping in front of the queen and cancels the mind control magic. The games in NGNL are not well thought out, and frankly do not truly display Shiro and Sora’s genius. They are supposed to be master tacticians, but when they were in a pinch, they get saved by some illogical plot device. Some examples of well-executed games are in the manga Liar Game and the anime Kaiji.

Revo

I'm suffering from Alice in Borderland withdrawal. It's been 3 or 4 weeks since I last read the raws.

How good is No Game No Life? This piece of review from MAL doesn't inspire any confidence.

From watching the anime (first few games), it basically is just asspulls.

Quasar

I assume we can discuss webtoons here as well, like tower of god and nobelesse?

Of all the weekly manga these days, i find tower of fod to be most entertaining. New arc aka the hell train arc is about to start, and I'm exited.

I read a bunch, like Girls of the Wilds , but have come to realise the weekly format does not work for me. Not enough story in each chapter, and it interrupts the flow of the story.

Source Oricon Youtaiju

Manga & Light Novel rankings for September 1st - 7th

*6. *,108,347 *,108,347 Owari no Seraph Vol.6
*8. *,*82,179 *,*82,179 World Trigger Vol.7
10. *,*55,038 *,*55,038 Saiki Kusuo no Ψ Nan Vol.10

12. *,*48,784 *,113,166 Sekaiichi Hatsukoi: Onodera Ritsu no Baai Vol.9 Special Edition
27. *,*24,921 *,663,104 Haikyuu!! Vol.12
30. *,*22,889 *,850,054 Naruto Vol.70

35. *,*21,372 *,*38,313 Kuroneko Kareshi no Itoshikata Vol.1
39. *,*20,386 *,*34,232 Sekaiichi Hatsukoi: Onodera Ritsu no Baai Vol.9

Once again most of Tokyo Ghoul's Vols are ranking in the top 50. I guess it's decided that Weekly Young Jump's currently best selling manga is Tokyo Ghoul.

Dont you mean Terraformars? Each new volume of Terraformars they seem to reveal that its copies have increased by one mln, Terraformars has 8780000 at 10 volumes while Tokyo Ghoul is at 7200000 with 13 volumes. Tokyo Ghoul would never catch up since Terraformars will anime effect increase in October.
---

All my series doing well new yaoi manga already debuting strongly, hopefully drama cd and anime eventually...and World Trigger will cross 100K yet again before leaving the charts, well deserved. I remember the day people thought itd be cancelled.

Your usual, oh it got an anime, let's check it out effect probably

What? But Seraph has always been leaving the charts at over 100K since I believe v2 even. The anime was only revealed like a few days before this new volume came out, and the manga had already surpassed 1mln copies in March at volume 4 even.

Next series to look out from for JUMP SQ would be Twin Star Exorcist whic passed 100K copies with its first volume...

Vito

Banned
So I asked my friend if there is any manga that features land warfare and he recommended me Gunka no Balzer. Is it good?

Yeah I love it (totally has nothing to do with the tomboy I swear... ok, it has everything to with it). Just be prepared for super slow scanslations, even now with the serialization being slower, they still haven't caught up. :( The art is pretty good though

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan

It's entertaining, but if you expect smart mind game ala like Kaiji, Zero, Alice in Borderland, or Liar Game, it won't deliver.

Personally, i like it for the sheer amount of cheesiness and ham delivered by the seiyuu.

Dont you mean Terraformars? Each new volume of Terraformars they seem to reveal that its copies have increased by one mln, Terraformars has 8780000 at 10 volumes while Tokyo Ghoul is at 7200000 with 13 volumes. Tokyo Ghoul would never catch up since Terraformars will anime effect increase in October.
---

I mean currently looking at the sales Tokyo Ghoul on average sells about 500K or above per Vol. While Terra Formars sells above 300K per Vol. So I thought Tokyo Ghoul is selling more unless I'm mistaken.

Anyways quality wise Tokyo Ghoul is better.

Usobuko

Banned
Wow, there's a awfully similar manga to Smutterfly Effect called Umareru Kachi no Nakatta Jibun ga Anna no Tame ni Dekiru Ikutsuka no Koto, such a pointlessly long name.

Except the lead is basically a 31 years old NEET and fall down from a school building to 'time travel' back to his past.

Zweizer

Banned
Kyou Kara Yonshimai ch1-6

It's a pretty good read so far. Handles the issues of transgenders rather tastefully, although it doesn't seem to go much in detail about it.

Usobuko

Banned
Time travel manga often prompt a redemption route or another chance to live one's life to the fullest. Our lead here actually went the other way to wreck everything on his path, for his own interest.

scy

I hope those Nisekoi avatars don't scare newcomers away.

What if it lures new people in?!

Wow, there's a awfully similar manga to Smutterfly Effect called Umareru Kachi no Nakatta Jibun ga Anna no Tame ni Dekiru Ikutsuka no Koto, such a pointlessly long name.

Except the lead is basically a 31 years old NEET and fall down from a school building to 'time travel' back to his past.

...that's one hell of a title.

I read a bunch, like Girls of the Wilds , but have come to realise the weekly format does not work for me. Not enough story in each chapter, and it interrupts the flow of the story.

Check out tower of god, it usually has lengthy chapters. Somewhat closer to a monthly mangas like claymore.

I do read girls of the wilds just for lols even though it isn't any good

We do.

SHADOW
FLOW
Soul Cartel

Are my favorite three currently. Also reading 10th Dimension Boys and The Gamer, though Ive switched over to reading everything on the LINE Webtoon app (android)

Yup I also use the same app. Its very convenient. I came to love webtoon even more than anime because of that app lol.

And again I recommend tower of god to you as well :p

Aizo

Banned
Umibe no Onnanoko
2 Volumes
Slice of life, drama, lots of teen sex

I forgot to post about this like a month ago. I don't want to write much about it anymore, honestly. It was far too heavy with the sex. It did have some really endearing moments, but they were kind of spoiled by the
shit eating
. I showed my girlfriend when I read that part, and she was like, "You read some weird shit." (ha. shit.)

Seriously, though. One of Asano's weaker pieces.

Shengar

it has gud art and best girl

Yeah I love it (totally has nothing to do with the tomboy I swear... ok, it has everything to with it). Just be prepared for super slow scanslations, even now with the serialization being slower, they still haven't caught up. :( The art is pretty good though
I need to know, is she a good tomboy or a bad tomboy?
Umibe no Onna no Ko
2 Volumes
Slice of life, drama, lots of teen sex

I forgot to post about this. I don't want to write much about it anymore, honestly. It was far too heavy with the sex. It did have some really endearing moments, but they were kind of spoiled by the
shit eating
. I showed my girlfriend when I read that part, and she was like, "You read some weird shit." (ha. shit.)

That spoilered part
9QxNmso.gif

Akito

rU8zdm7.jpg

Danshi Koukousei de Urekko Light Novel Sakka wo Shiteiru keredo, Toshishita no Classmate de Seiyuu no Onnanoko ni Kubi wo Shimerareteiru.
I'm A High School Boy and a Successful Light Novel Author, But I'm Being Strangled By A Female Classmate Who's A Voice Actress And Is Younger Than Me

Anime when?

Chariot

Danshi Koukousei de Urekko Light Novel Sakka wo Shiteiru keredo, Toshishita no Classmate de Seiyuu no Onnanoko ni Kubi wo Shimerareteiru.
I'm A High School Boy and a Successful Light Novel Author, But I'm Being Strangled By A Female Classmate Who's A Voice Actress And Is Younger Than Me

Anime when?
Is there a race whose light novel bears the most ridiculous long name?

Aizo

Banned
Apparently it translates to The Few Things I Can Do For Anna Even Though I Didn't Deserve To Be Born. No idea how accurate it is.

I blame LNs for this trend.

What a terrible title. It could be cool if shortened. The translators could fix it, but that's a pretty much what the title translates to.

If one were to be less exact with the translation, it could be slightly less awkward: "The Things I Can Do for Anna, Even Though I'm Worthless" or "I'm Worthless, but I Can Still Do These Things for Anna"

Zweizer

Banned
Does anyone knows which LN (because of course it'd be a LN) has the record for longest (and most ridiculous) title?

What a terrible title. It could be cool if shortened. The translators could fix it, but that's a pretty much what the title translates to.

If one were to be less exact with the translation, it could be slightly less awkward: "The Things I Can Do for Anna, Even Though I'm Worthless" or "I'm Worthless, but I Can Still Do These Things for Anna"

It's probably because the "Didn't deserve to be born" part is more eye-catching. Marketing strategy and all that jazz.

Usobuko

Banned

I used to find Asano a little overrated after Solanin, Hikari no Machi, What a Wonderful World, Sekai-I-can't-remember-the-title etc. I was one of those who was more drawn by Nijigahara Holograph's unique storytelling. I like his works but not as much as the cult following he seems to have.

Then I read Oyasumi Punpun and pretty much cemented my member status in his fan club.

The anime is pretty lewd. Probably the manga too.

The LN is just word lewd. But the series is pretty chessy but entertaining too. I rather liked the anime and the first volume of the LN.

Anime when?

...I would read that.

Does anyone knows which LN (because of course it'd be a LN) has the record for longest (and most ridiculous) title?

From the beginning of this year so something new might have come out by then:
1. I'm a successful light novel author at a boy's high school, but I'm being strangled by a female classmate who's a voice actress and is younger than me (1) - Time to Play -
2. I was reincarnated as an evil god and my subordinate demon army is on the verge of collapsing... What should I do?
3. I tried training a girl who looks exactly like my student body president, hoping to make her my lover, and I turned out to be the servant.
4. When the female student body president of a prestigious school reads Abdul Alhazred's Necronomicon.
5. There was a time where I also thought that girls were nice and cute.

Yeah, I could tell. I wish he poured less. It was gross.

Hah hah.

I didn't mind the sex, I actually like the passional affair that turns into love trope, I didn't even mind a lot
the shit; but I didn't like the end, it felt as if someone said "I almost forgot this is an Asano manga, there can't be happy end! and then the couple was hilariously destroyed with an almost deus ex machina set of events and a sudden and mysterious obsession with a random girl the guy didn't know. It didn't surprise me the bittersweet end because it's typical Asano, but it was badly developed and it felt forced, and it wasn't even particularly meaningful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom