• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manned Mission to Mars

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've always been fascinated with the idea of going to another planet, and perhaps setting up space stations with recyclable consumables such as water, crops, etc. to sustain life independently on the red planet. Lately, there's been talks about manned mission to mars, which is very exciting to me. However, can it be done? If so, when will it happen? And just how realistic is it with the technology that we have nowadays?

Below are some very interesting articles related to this topic:

A One-Way, One-Person mission to Mars:
http://www.universetoday.com/2008/03/04/a-one-way-one-person-mission-to-mars/
A One-Way, One-Person Mission to Mars

Written by Nancy Atkinson

Will humans ever really go to Mars? Let’s face it, the obstacles are quite daunting. Not only are there numerous, difficult, technical issues to overcome, but the political will and perseverance of any one nation to undertake such an arduous task just can’t be counted on. However, one former NASA engineer believes a human mission to Mars is quite doable, and such an event would unify the world as never before. But Jim McLane’s proposal includes a couple of major caveats: the trip to Mars should be one-way, and have a crew of only one person.

McLane worked at NASA for 21 years before leaving in 2007 to work for a private engineering firm. Being able to look from afar at NASA’s activities has given him a new perspective, he says.

But McLane was still at NASA when he originally had an idea for a one-way, one-person mission to Mars. He calls his proposal the “Spirit of the Lone Eagle," in deference to Charles Lindbergh’s solo flight from New York to Paris in 1927.

McLane’s idea came from his acquaintance with a Russian cosmonaut. “I noticed the cosmonaut seemed to be a slightly different type of person than the American astronaut," McLane said. “Cosmonauts are primarily pilots, and like test pilots, they are very focused on getting the job done. The current American astronauts are picked for things such as their speaking ability and social skills, and most of them have advanced degrees. But the cosmonaut struck me as an adventurous, get-things-done-type person, like our original astronauts back in the 1960’s."

A return to the “get it done" attitude of the 1960’s and a goal of a manned landing within a short time frame, like Apollo, is the only way we’ll get to Mars, McLane believes. Additionally, a no-return, solo mission solves many of the problems currently facing a round-trip, multiple person crew.

“When we eliminate the need to launch off Mars, we remove the mission’s most daunting obstacle," said McLane. And because of a small crew size, the spacecraft could be smaller and the need for consumables and supplies would be decreased, making the mission cheaper and less complicated.

While some might classify this as a suicide mission, McLane feels the concept is completely logical.

“There would be tremendous risk, yes," said McLane, “but I don’t think that’s guaranteed any more than you would say climbing a mountain alone is a suicide mission. People do dangerous things all the time, and this would be something really unique, to go to Mars. I don’t think there would be any shortage of people willing to volunteer for the mission. Lindbergh was someone who was willing to risk everything because it was worth it. I don’t think it will be hard to find another Lindbergh to go to Mars. That will be the easiest part of this whole program."

And like Apollo, such a mission would stimulate new technology and reinvigorate science. McLane feels a mission to Mars should be international in scope, encompassing contributions from multiple nations to represent a milestone for the whole human race.

“I think people have forgotten how exciting the Apollo program was, and this would bring that excitement back," he said. “And it wasn’t just here in the US; the whole world was excited. This enthusiasm would be the greatest effect of a program that places a man on Mars, over and above anything else, whether it makes jobs, or stimulates the economy, or creates technology spinoffs. We’re all humans and the idea of sending one of our kind on a trip like that would be a wonderful adventure for the entire world. The whole world would get behind it."

And the whole world would be watching, said McLane, so it wouldn’t be as if the lone astronaut would be completely by himself. “You would have constant communication," he said. “The astronauts on the International Space Station have an army of people on earth keeping track of what they are doing. They really have no peace. Somebody is constantly planning and monitoring their activities. I don’t think being lonely will be much of a problem on a mission to Mars."

Of course McLane’s hope is the solo astronaut would be joined by others shortly in the future. Orbital mechanics provides a desirable launch window from Earth to Mars every 26 months. “This person wouldn’t be there by himself for very long. It’s just returning home that would be impossible," he said. Another option McLane has offered is a one-man and one-woman crew, possibly creating an Adam and Eve-type situation.

Unmanned landers would carry living accommodations, supplies and communication equipment to Mars’ surface before the human mission would even launch. The best location on Mars would be a low, sheltered area, perhaps at the bottom of a canyon, which would provide protection from radiation and weather, as well as the highest possible atmospheric pressure.

While technical issues abound for even the simplest human mission to Mars, McLane says technical issues didn’t deter the Apollo program, and they shouldn’t deter a mission to another planet.

“I can remember during the early days of the Apollo program, there were even many more technical issues than we face today in going to Mars," said McLane. “People don’t realize that, or have forgotten that fact. Several things were tremendous unknowns back then, any one of which could have been a showstopper for a human moon landing."

McLane said the early designers of the Apollo spacecraft gambled that in 3 or 4 years, high powered transistors and small guidance computers would be developed. That was the only way the spacecraft would be lightweight enough to land on the moon. “It was almost science fiction, but someone thought it could be done in just a few years, and sure enough the technology was perfected in time to make the mission possible," he said.

While Apollo 11 astronaut Buzz Aldrin and noted author and physicist Paul Davies have also advocated a one-way trip to Mars, in our risk-averse society most people look askance at such an idea.

Even though explorers in the past traveled, for example, to the south or north pole, knowing they might never return, and thousands of immigrants moved to the US in the 18- and 1900's, knowing they would never see their homeland again, the human psyche has seemingly changed enough that a one-way ticket off the planet is not acceptable. According to psychologist Molly Dooley from Springfield, IL, it might take a major crisis on Earth for humans to seriously consider such a mission. “Usually it’s the disenfranchised that are willing to take those kinds of risks," she said. “When our present situation no longer works for us, we become more willing to take risks. The difference between the folks who are interested and those who aren’t is their attachment to their current situation."

McLane says the main reason NASA hasn’t been able to focus on a human mission to Mars is simple: NASA doesn’t get nearly enough money. “This has been the case for many years," he said. “They didn’t get enough money to fix problems with the shuttle, and they’ve always been chronically short of money. How we fund NASA is a big handicap, since every year, NASA has to go begging to Congress for funds and justify their budget. The Chinese space program, on the other hand, has an advantage in that they budget their projects in five-year increments. If we really want to go somewhere, we’ll have to change how NASA gets its money."

But McLane thinks NASA is at fault for not even considering a one-way mission to Mars. “For over forty years they’ve studied all sorts of options, but haven’t admitted to ever looking at a one-way mission to Mars," he said. “We shouldn’t be stuck on this rock forever. I believe it’s in our human nature to try to go somewhere else, and we’ve almost worn this world out. I think now is the time to reach out and go somewhere else to start with a clean slate. There is no reason not to try."

Another informative article(a bit old):
http://www.space.com/missionlaunches/russia_mars_040510.html
Russian Space Chief Says Mars Mission Is Realistic
By Associated Press

MOSCOW (AP) -- Russia's new space agency chief said Monday that a manned mission to Mars in the near future is realistic provided funding is adequate, and appeared to express support for an ambitious plan to visit the planet within a decade, the Interfax news agency reported.

"The project is very interesting and I am not turning it down," Interfax quoted space agency chief Anatoly Perminov as saying in Berlin, apparently referring to a plan announced last month to send a six-man crew to Mars.

"Any project is flatly rejected by some and fully supported by others at first. We hold a fairly progressive, professional, neutral stance. We support it, and it should be further developed," he said.

Georgy Uspensky, a researcher at the Central Research Institute for Machine-Building, Russia's premier authority on space equipment design, said in April that it would carry out the project with funding promised by Aerospace Systems, a little-known private Russian company that says it draws no resources from the state budget.

Uspensky said the small US$3-5 billion budget for the mission reflected plans to use already developed spacecraft, and predicted it would happen around 2011-2013.

A spokesman for the Russia's Federal Space Agency said at the time that he had never heard of the project and that it would be impossible to implement with such a meager budget and in such a short time period.

Perminov, who took over as space agency chief in a government reshuffle in March, said the project should be international.

"It would be very difficult for one country to carry out such a program," Interfax quoted him as saying. He said a mission to Mars would require adequate funding.

Perminov said the Russian agency has discussed manned Moon and Mars projects with NASA, the U.S. space agency.

Earlier this year, U.S. President George W. Bush proposed a manned mission to Mars but did not set a timeline for such a trip, which American scientists believe would probably remain decades away.

...and perhaps the most interesting and relevant one:
http://library.thinkquest.org/03oct/01858/text-only/manned_problems.html
Quest to Planet Mars - Man on Mars

Potential Problems Of A Manned Mission

Design of Mars-worthy spacecraft

Problem:

Winged spacecraft like the shuttle are clearly out as they are unreliable near home, as the two space shuttle disasters had shown us, what more about the unpredictable, wispy Mars atmosphere?

Solution:

Design of the spacecraft could be closer to the capsule model that has served the Mercury, Gemini and Apollo programs so well. A pod-like crew transfer vehicle to get astronauts to and from the space station and to take a little of the load off the shuttle have been designed by Boeing Aerospace and its design has won the backing of members of the U.S. Congress and the space community ever since the Columbia disaster resulted in the grounding of the entire shuttle fleet.

Journey to Mars

Problem:

A one-way flight to Mars from Earth would take roughly seven months and it is a journey that is both tedious and dangerous, given the amount of radiation that a spacecraft would be exposed to.

Solution:

Because of Mars' elliptical orbit, the distance between the Earth and Mars vary greatly. The two planets make a close approach every two years, providing a possible window for both outgoing and return flights. Ion propulsion and nuclear thermal propulsion can increase speed and cut down on travel time. Ion propulsion is a technology that involves ionizing a gas to propel a craft. Instead of a spacecraft being propelled with standard chemicals, the gas xenon is given an electrical charge, or ionized. It is then electrically accelerated to a speed of about 30 km/second. When xenon ions are emitted at such high speed as exhaust from a spacecraft, they push the spacecraft in the opposite direction (Newton's third law of force). However, the stream of ions produced by the engine is a thin one, therefore even a small ship takes a long time to accelerate. Nuclear thermal propulsion makes use of a larger reactor to superheat traditional fuel and blast it out the engine nozzle. Things will move faster with such an engine, but the engine would be heavier and cruder and the reactor will definitely cause jitters among the environmentalist. However the decision on whether that would be the preferred approach would involve many questions such as which technique might get the crew there the fastest (independent of how fuel efficient the trip might be) in order to reduce the radiation exposure and effects of long periods of near weightlessness. Heavy shielding could be used to protect the crew from the harmful radiation, but it will add to the overall weight of the spacecraft.

Food, water and fuel

Problem:

The Apollo missions to moon took no more than 12 days and one could fill up the tank and larder once before you left and carry along everything you need for the mission. However it would not be possible for a manned mission to Mars, considering the 14months of round-trip flight time between Mars and Earth and perhaps the one and a half year wait for the Earth-Mars alignment for the journey back to Earth.

Solution:

It could be possible to manufacture what is needed on Mars. If ice exists, it would be big news, because Martian water could be used for consumption, once purified. Also since water is made up of hydrogen and oxygen, it could be possible that decompose water to fill up the tanks of the spacecraft once it arrive on the Red Planet.

Another suggestion given by John Hoffman, a physicist at the University of Texas at Dallas who is working on a 2007 Mars probe “is to send rockets up two years before people go, then robotically make water for an 18-month stay and fuel for the return journey.”

If it is possible to make water, fuel and air on-site, then it would be possible to grow food. If the chemical samples like those onboard the Spirit prove that Mars soil is not poisonous, it would be a relatively straightforward job to assemble a greenhouse on Mars and grow crops there. 13 crops have been identified to be able to thrive in a space habitat including wheat, potatoes, Soya beans and salad green by Donald Henninger, a NASA chief scientist.

So GAF, what are your thoughts on this? Can it be done? How badly does everyone want to see this in their lifetime?? Do share! I know I do!! =)

Extra articles:
Bush proposal to send man to Mars: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/3381531.stm
McCain would like to see a man on Mars: http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=080606111510.5jnz56gu&show_article=1

Darko

Teh Hamburglar said:
Rescuing someone off a mountain is a little easier than skipping across interstellar distances.

which is why were sending lance bass.
lance-bass-space-suit-picture.jpg

sky

I would love to see someone land on mars... but the idea of them not having any chance to return would definitely make it bitter sweet. If that's what it takes, let's just keep sending robots, or wait until a return trip is viable.

sky said:
I would love to see someone land on mars... but the idea of them not having any chance to return would definitely make it bitter sweet. If that's what it takes, let's just keep sending robots, or wait until a return trip is viable.
I agree, which is why I included the 3rd article. It talks about how, if the Mars soil is not poisonous, we could set up a greenhouse area to plant their own crops....while using the ice for water consumption after being purified.
artredis1980 said:
Incentive, Pay 1 Billion to the guy or gals spouse and children, then pay for thier children as well. thats a good incentive.
Life insurance! :D

Doytch

I badly want to see us get to Mars. And I don't think the first trip will be a return one. What this article doesn't mention is how you take off from Mars. That's the problem I've heard. Even if you have fuel/food, how do you right your landed craft, set up the braces/launch pad and take off?

Xeke

Banned
Doytch said:
I badly want to see us get to Mars. And I don't think the first trip will be a return one. What this article doesn't mention is how you take off from Mars. That's the problem I've heard. Even if you have fuel/food, how do you right your landed craft, set up the braces/launch pad and take off?

Well we obviously need to develop a more versatile launch technique.

artredis1980 said:
Incentive, Pay 1 Billion to the guy or gals spouse and children, then pay for thier children as well. thats a good incentive.

I'm sure plenty of people would be willing to do it for free just to be remembered as the first person on Mars

Xeke

Banned
HamPster PamPster said:
I'm sure plenty of people would be willing to do it for free just to be remembered as the first person on Mars

I totally would. It would be worth the rest of my life, easily. What could top it?

HamPster PamPster said:

Fuck being remembered, I'd pay to do it just to be the first person on Mars.

Hootie

If Obama's elected he's going to try to take billions out of NASA's budget to put into his preschool program. Shit fucking sucks, because the missions to the moon and Mars would be delayed at least 5 years. This is the only (and biggest for me by far) issue I disagree with him on. Damnit Obomba!

Zyzyxxz

Hootie said:
If Obama's elected he's going to try to take billions out of NASA's budget to put into his preschool program. Shit fucking sucks, because the missions to the moon and Mars would be delayed at least 5 years. This is the only (and biggest for me by far) issue I disagree with him on. Damnit Obomba!

As much as I love space I'd rather have more money for education, think of it as an investment which might net us a greater return in the future in terms of technology. We will go to Mars eventually I know it but I'd rather wait until we can do it without spending hundreds of millions.

Hootie

Zyzyxxz said:
As much as I love space I'd rather have more money for education, think of it as an investment which might net us a greater return in the future in terms of technology. We will go to Mars eventually I know it but I'd rather wait until we can do it without spending hundreds of millions.

Yeah I'm all for the advancement of education, but why the hell would you take the money from NASA of all places? They're not exactly rolling in money as it is right now. There are dozens of other places he could get the money from instead. WHY NASA?!

btkadams

it would go against a lot of modern society's beliefs to send a man on a one way trip to mars, but the possiblities and the things we could learn would make it worth it. i say they plan the fuck out of it and have it happen in like 10 years. they could figure out if its possible to plant shit there and live there. it would be incredible the things that could be achieved if a person was sent there and could survive sustaining themselves the rest of their lives.

Hootie

btkadams said:
it would go against a lot of modern society's beliefs to send a man on a one way trip to mars, but the possiblities and the things we could learn would make it worth it. i say they plan the fuck out of it and have it happen in like 10 years. they could figure out if its possible to plant shit there and live there. it would be incredible the things that could be achieved if a person was sent there and could survive sustaining themselves the rest of their lives.

Yeah that would be awesome if something like that happened in 10-15 years. There's always been the question of whether or not theres enough gravity on Mars to allow humans to live there for long periods of time without too much muscle loss or things like that, and a mission like you and the OP described could answer that as long as he/she survives long enough.

btkadams said:
Yes, and there should be constant communication to Earth when he's there so it's not like he'll be missing the internet. ;)

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
I like to thank the OP for bolding the important facts about the source unlike the other GAFfers who are too dumb and lazy to do it.

BobLoblaw

Banned
HamPster PamPster said:
I'd do it. I'd be a legend. The first man to land on another planet!
Edit: I'd also be the first man to die on another planet! Win. Win.

Gaborn

perfectchaos007 said:
No I remember him going through training, but once you send a gay man to mars...you want to send ALL gay men to mars. Thats what I thought he was getting at, but maybe I was just too analytical trying to think he was making some sort of joke.

ahhhh, I see. Actually though I think sending someone with as few community ties (single, no children, parents dead) would be for the best for everyone (though in Bass's case aside from his lack of other qualifications he's dating someone I think I heard).

Hootie

Sir Alemeth said:
Yes, and there should be constant communication to Earth when he's there so it's not like he'll be missing the internet. ;)

Imagine somehow giving the guy a laptop with an internet connection :lol

Red Planet-Age: I'm the first and only human on Mars and I'm getting bored, HALP GAF!

Phthisis

The experience of being the first human to step foot on the red planet and take in the bleak landscape would be ineffable. A small voice in my head cries out wishing that it could be me.

Doytch said:

Some corporation came up with the idea of attaching a very small one-person rocket to the top of a traditional aircraft. When the aircraft reaches its maximum height, the rocket detaches and requires less power to break atmosphere. If you sent that equipment (perhaps ahead of time), along with the easily constructible air strips we used during WWII, it might be possible to get someone on and off the surface of Mars.

Hootie said:

Well what do you expect? Can't take that money from the military or the prison industrial complex.

it'd be pretty bunk if like one week before he (she?) was supposed to land on mars he/she died of a heartattack or something. most anticlimactic thing ever.

Rindain

Banned
I'm feeling pretty optimistic that Obama won't take any money from NASA. After all, won't he have a ton of extra money from the Iraq war once we start pulling troops out?

Dolphin

Banned
Optimally it would be a two person mission. Like a man and his wife. Then send more people and just start colonizing the damned place with bubble buildings. There might not be an option for a return trip anytime soon, but send them up with enough plants and algae for oxygen and such and such (maybe buildings filled with grass and potted trees) and just make it into the Mars habitation project instead of the Mars mission.

I think a mission to Mars (one-way ticket or otherwise) will prove to be the next big step in technological evolution. So many milestones were achieved during the Apollo days -- going to Mars would be an even stronger catalyst for innovation on a global scale. We're talking revolutionary science in just about every aspect of human life. Such breakthroughs could potentially abolish our dependence on fossil fuels or even provide new methods of communication. And think of the economical advantages...

It would take nothing less than an effort of this magnitude to ensure our ability to traverse such a distance and maintain control over so many variables, all the while preserving life and ensuring a successful mission upon arrival. The question isn't if we should go; it's when we should go.

sankao

Don't worry for human presence on Mars. The Chinese are going to make it in the next decades or so. They have the industrial power and several hundred thousands new engineers each year.

sankao said:
Don't worry for human presence on Mars. The Chinese are going to make it in the next decades or so. They have the industrial power and several hundred thousands new engineers each year.
Possibly.

But China doesn't have experience landing a human being on another celestial body. America does.

Dolphin

Banned
HAL_Laboratory said:
Possibly.

But China doesn't have experience landing a human being on another celestial body. The US does.
I bet they're willing to make a lot more mistakes though.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Give NASA more money, send someone to Mars and beyond.

The technological advancements and inspiration we have gained through the space program are worth much much more than the money invested in it.

sankao

HAL_Laboratory said:
Possibly.

But China doesn't have experience landing a human being on another celestial body. America does.
America did.
Von Braun is dead. All the Apollo program engineers are dead or retired. The knowledge only exists in the form of old schematics. The Orion program pretty much started from nothing.

sankao said:
America did.
Von Braun is dead. All the Apollo program engineers are dead or retired. The knowledge only exists in the form of old schematics. The Orion program pretty much started from nothing.
I see your point, but it can be argued that everything post-Apollo (space shuttle, space station, hubble, etc) is an extension of the knowledge gained by putting a man on the moon, and will undoubtedly be applied to future endeavors like Orion and the Constellation program.

Dolphin

Banned
Someone needs to just build a damned fusor to power a spaceship that can launch and land autonomously like we've been promised. Then make a fighter version.

Xapati

Pizza Luigi said:
We can't even have a manned mission to the moon, how can we have it to Mars?

This. Heck we've been using the space shuttle for the last what? 30 years? And what's the future look like:

[...] we have reached a time where NASA is no longer the proud vanguard of a technological adventure. Instead it seems to be the faltering custodian of an old one. The spacecraft that will be used for touchdown missions in the coming decade are based on systems designed in the late 1970s: solid rocket boosters from the space shuttle, bolted onto a familiar throwaway fuel tank, topped by a conical crew capsule that is embarrassingly similar to the old Apollo.

The enthusiasm for space travel and science in general these days is but a shadow of what it once was. Maybe if China really starts ramping up their space program we'll some of the spirit will return.

Xapati said:
This. Heck we've been using the space shuttle for the last what? 30 years? And what's the future look like:

There hasn't really been an incentive to land on the moon since the Apollo days. We did the science that we set out to do, and that was that. But this is only part of the equation. Funding for moon missions began to dwindle after we landed, particularly after the Apollo 13 disaster. The American people simply lost interest. It wasn't even being broadcast on television anymore.

However, technology is beginning to catch up with the prospect of a manned Mars mission, and even congress can see the economic benefits of beginning another great race.

I recently watched the NASA Missions on the Discovery channel. It just amazes me that we haven't sent a man back on the moon since 1972. Considering our current technology that's just embarrassing. We should have a mini-habitat and greenhouse on the moon by now.

NASA hasn't been perfect, but it's a shame their budget is so tight. I would love to see another space race and all the technological improvements it would entail.

We send men off to war for far less noble reasons. It's a shame that we're so reluctant to send a man on a one-way journey to Mars that would literally unite the world. As others have mentioned, finding volunteers would be one of the easiest parts of the mission.

If too many people are still uneasy about the idea, then send a terminally ill person to Mars. Just make sure they live long enough to actually get to Mars....

sankao

I think space exploration will only pick up when the temperature will have risen by a lot, when oil is depleted (hey Titan has plenty !), and when iron and copper are nowhere to be found anymore. That should give us about 200 years or so.
Even then it seems dubious that space exploration would be more economically sound than simple sustainable development and recycling measures.

sankao said:
I think space exploration will only pick up when the temperature will have risen by a lot, when oil is depleted (hey Titan has plenty !), and when iron and copper are nowhere to be found anymore. That should give us about 200 years or so.
Even then it seems dubious that space exploration would be more economically sound than simple sustainable development and recycling measures.
The finite amount of iron, copper and other heavy elements on Earth will always be here, just like water. These materials were ejected from a dying star billions of years ago, and they aren't going away anytime soon.

Oil is a different story.

Zaptruder

Banned
I'd do it.

I'm officially putting up my hand. If there's a roster to register on, I'm on it.

Infamous in history, shit yeah!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom