• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manned Mission to Mars

Status
Not open for further replies.

sankao

HAL_Laboratory said:
The finite amount of iron, copper and other heavy elements on Earth will always be here, just like water. They came from a supernova billions of years ago, and they aren't going away anytime soon.

Oil is a different story.
True, but they are only present in the form of already processed alloys, and the cost to recycle them is not negligible, especially if you have no oil anymore to heat them up.
Same with water. Recycling comes at a cost that increases with the scarcity of energy sources.
And no, if things keep the same pace, nuclear fusion shouldn't be around before another 80 years or so to fix the energy issue.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
I'm still hoping everything works out like Red Mars and we'll have a permanent settlement on Mars in 20 years or so.

Space Exploration is a good alternative to War as a political distraction in times of suffering, so the downward economic trend might be just what NASA needs to get its ass kicked into gear.

Having said that it looks like there will be privately funded missions to the moon by 2012 (Moon Rover is the new, google sponsored, X-Prize challenge), so maybe companies like Google & Virgin will become the real space pioneers.

sankao said:
True, but they are only present in the form of already processed alloys, and the cost to recycle them is not negligible, especially if you have no oil anymore to heat them up.
Same with water. Recycling comes at a cost that increases with the scarcity of energy sources.
And no, if things keep the same pace, nuclear fusion shouldn't be around before another 80 years or so to fix the energy issue.
I can agree with that.

But I think the main hurdle over the next 200 years will have less to do with resource/energy shortages, and more to do with sheer population density. This is why I almost welcome a major natural disaster -- would ease the stress on mother nature for a while.

Ghost said:
I'm still hoping everything works out like Red Mars and we'll have a permanent settlement on Mars in 20 years or so.

I'd say 50-100 years is a more likely time-frame for that, but yes, that would be very exciting.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
The new Constellation program (which is in its early stages right now) is the program that will land a man on Mars. Here is how the schedule looks right now:

• 2010: Shuttle program retired.
  • 2015: First unmanned flight of an Ares rocket.
  • 2020: Return to the moon.
  • 2024: Permanent Moon base completed.
  • 2030-2035: Manned landing on Mars.
I doubt we get to Mars by that date though, it will most likely be delayed. Especially with what Obama's stance is on where the money for NASA should go (his education program.) If Obama does this then it would delay NASA's plan for 5 years. I say we land on Mars somewhere around 2040-2050.

Wollan

Putin probably has a gigantic lab somewhere working away on it. They will take the Americans by surprise just like with Sputnik. The timing couldn't possibly be better for them considering both US economics not to mention Nasa.

1stStrike

Banned
2050..i'll be..64 years old. I wonder how badly we, the human race, will have fucked ourselves economically and environmentally by then.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
HAL_Laboratory said:
I just hope I'll still be alive when it happens. In 2050 I'll be 71 years old...
<---- 63. Thats a long time :lol

I hope they make their date though.

Pachael

HAL_Laboratory said:
You're probably right. :lol

China's one thing, but let's not forget our friends in Russia too. They have experience and are accumulating cash as well. A China/Russia ticket is not too far out of the question.

Pachael said:
China's one thing, but let's not forget our friends in Russia too. They have experience and are accumulating cash as well. A China/Russia ticket is not too far out of the question.
To whichever country the first Mars footprints belong is irrelevant, because it will be an international effort. The sooner the better! :D

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
1stStrike said:
2050..i'll be..64 years old. I wonder how badly we, the human race, will have fucked ourselves economically and environmentally by then.
People were saying the same thing back in 1966. I think we'll be even more awesome than we are now in 42 years. Go go singularity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom