• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"MANY developers have been sitting in meetings for the past year desperately trying to get Series S launch requirements dropped"

This is such a load bull that I don't even know where to begin. Developers have been supporting low end PC specs for a while now. So how is the Series S a problem? Second, what about the PS4 and Xbox one? New games are still getting released on those platforms. Hell, the new God of war game is going to be on the PS4. How is the Series S holding anything back? Drop the PS4 and Xbox one and then you can talk.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Series S owners ragging on casual gamers when they themselves bought a console designed for casual gamers is peak GAF
Anders Holm Wow GIF

We really know it's brand loyalty defense more so than owning. If it were Sony that had this setup, 'opinions' would change, on both sides more than likely.

Klosshufvud

This topic is about current gen development.

It shouldn't need to be pointed out that PS4 is a last generation console, GOWR is a cross-gen title, and the PS5 version is the PS4 game with current gen enhancements. PS4 will already or soon be dropped from devs plans going forward.

There are no devs having meetings with Sony to have PS4 removed from current gen launch requirements. SMH this is even brought up as a comparison.
So then we agree that GoWR is being held back by PS4? Because the other dude implied otherwise.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
So then we agree that GoWR is being held back by PS4? Because the other dude implied otherwise.
Yes. But that also doesn't dictate the quality of the game.

It's not mutually exclusive. With that said as well, some devs are better than others (talent, support, resources, etc) when it comes to the challenges of cross-gen or min spec boxes.

For example, none of us were expecting HFW to look as good as it did, especially compared to the PS4 version with textures, lighting, geometry and shaders.

Third parties tend to struggle a little more than first party.

Last edited:

Klosshufvud

Yes. But that also doesn't dictate the quality of the game.

It's not mutually exclusive. With that said as well, some devs are better than others (talent, support, resources, etc) when it comes to the challenges of cross-gen or min spec boxes.

For example, none of us were expecting HFW to look as good as it did, especially compared to the PS4 version with textures, lighting, geometry and shaders.

Third parties tend to struggle a little more than first party.
I get that. I just find it rich how the thread creator makes a thread to shit on Series S but then turns around and touts GoWR as a PS5 showcase. Sort of hypocritical no? I really don't care about current-gen/cross-gen nonsense. Personally I don't even believe hardware is the real bottleneck of development anymore. Other factors like you mentioned are. A game like RDR2 is going to be exceptionally rare even on modern consoles due to how complex and expensive it is to create.

Godot25

Banned
Maybe they don't believe that those features will help much in practice or they might be hard to implement. 224 GBs per second is very low for the current generation though
Then it is a problem of optimization not that "Series S is bottleneck"

PS3 was not weak despite multiplat games generally running worse than on X360. It was just a fact that making game on PS3 required more work and many studios were not willing to do that. (and no, I'm not trying to imply that Series S is similar to PS3)

My point is. You can't complain that XYZ console is bottleneck without at least trying to use everything at your disposal to solve the problem of a particular platform.

RespawnX

I have been sitting in a lot of meetings to get developers done the things they get paid for. Maybe you should get better developers? Often you are facing people doing trash talk without any direction until management sets a frame. Look at God of War on PlayStation 4 or Forza Horizon 5 on Xbox One S. The Xbox Series S discussion is ridiculous. The design of the small machine is equivalent to its bigger brother and competitors, it is just designed to fire out fewer pixels. Of course, 1440p 60fps with ray tracing is unachievable considering that not even the big consoles can do it.

Anyway, we will get to the point by the midgen refresh where PS5 and XsX are going to be 1440p 60fps and the S Series is going to be a 900p 60fps machine. That is becoming more and more apparent and was to be expected. Get decent tools and developers who know what they are doing.

NT80

So how can Series S hold back current-gen games if PS4 isn't? Do you have any idea just how many times more powerful Series S is to a PS4?
How would we know that without seeing what PS5 only God of War looks like in comparison to a cross gen GOW?

Boy bawang

I don't have either console but I'm calling bullshit here. Between the inevitable diminishing returns in visuals and the scalability of modern engines and tools, there's not much reason for series S to gimp the games for the upcoming 5-6 years, especially as it has the same CPU.

Foilz

Banned
There's no reason why they can't make a game with visual preferences depending on each piece of hardware. We've been doing it for 30 years on PC. You have xbsx & xbss . If the s can't hand the Uber duber lighting then turn it off or have it lowered

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Developers can make PS5 only titles if they choose. The same isn't true of the Series X.
They want MS to pay for their GP deals but only put the game on machines a fraction of their base uses, while eating the massive PR cost of pissing off all the people they sold a XSS to. And yes, this dev had his games on GP, and yes they all suck. But he still thinks it's appropriate for MS to do this and destroy all the trust they built with their customers this gen because he's an entitled prick who can't optimize mobile-tier games and thinks it's appropriate to trash talk a business partner on twitter instead.

bender

What time is it?
They want MS to pay for their GP deals but only put the game on machines a fraction of their base uses, while eating the massive PR cost of pissing off all the people they sold a XSS to. And yes, this dev had his games on GP, and yes they all suck. But he still thinks it's appropriate for MS to do this and destroy all the trust they built with their customers this gen because he's an entitled prick who can't optimize mobile-tier games and thinks it's appropriate to trash talk a business partner on twitter instead.

Cool. I'm not sure what that has to do with my statement.

Beechos

Please most games are still crossgen. Dont give me that xss holding it back nonsense. Unless your game is next gen only and pushing some crazy effects that is crippling the sx and ps5, xss is not holding anything back. Pretty much all xss games are lower res/framerate the effects and assets are pretty much the same looking.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
It would have been ideal for Series S to have at least 12GB of RAM instead of 10GB. As it stands, though, it can run games like DOOM Eternal at 120fps, and have decent renditions of stuff like FS2020 and FH5. I’m sure it will be fine in the long run.

Ozriel

M$FT
A rocksteady dev publicly tweeted recently about Series S too "entire generation of games [are] hamstrung by that potato".

I suspect because MS have introduced requirements that simply cannot be bypassed.

Same rocksteady dev admitted he wasn’t working on Gotham Knights and knew nothing of the real reason why it ran at 30fps?

Same dev who isn’t going to comment on why Gotham Knights struggles to hit 60fps consistently on a 3090?

Ozriel

M$FT
Imagine if all devs that complained did this.

The S requirement would drop like a rock, I wager.

MS cut out support for a key component of their next gen sales and incur costs to replace the sold XSS consoles just because a handful of developers - most with no experience of developing on the Series S - complained?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
MS cut out support for a key component of their next gen sales and incur costs to replace the sold XSS consoles just because a handful of developers - most with no experience of developing on the Series S - complained?
It's okay bby boi, we are all speaking in what if hypotheticals of extremes. Just as "don't like it, don't make shit for it" attitudes. Not every bit of feedback needs to be praise of a 4TF box going into 2023 and beyond.

We discussed this months ago and I was one of the people stating that Series S is a graphical bridge between One X and Series X, that honestly should have never existed. Time will tell if that statement holds true.

Also, SlimySnake SlimySnake is right.

Last edited:

squarealex

Tweets deleted.
Print sceen of them:

Ffgi01_XEAA2KTn

Ian Maclure, VFX Artist for Bossa Studios has admitted that this is happening more and more, specially as games are going to be more and more next-gen only.

Will Series S hold back multiplatform games? How can this issue even be sorted out?
Nice, keep it up MS. That's more exclusive games for PlayStation / PC.

Mars2003

Neo Member
Maybe they don't believe that those features will help much in practice or they might be hard to implement. 224 GBs per second is very low for the current generation though
More likely they never even entertained the idea of using these additional technologies to get the best out of XSS. I find it quite telling that none of these "Devs" ever mention disappointment with gains made from implementing SFS, VRS2.0, FSR2.0 and Mesh Shaders (this not so much, as no-one has shown anything meaningful yet).

All we get is complaints about a lower powered GPU and less memory/split memory. This sounds more like their light touch porting effort from their lead platform is running into performance issues as their code only makes use of hardware features found present in the lead platform.

Ozriel

M$FT
It's okay bby boi, we are all speaking in what if hypotheticals of extremes. Just as "don't like it, don't make shit for it" attitudes. Not every bit of feedback needs to be praise of a 4TF box going into 2023 and beyond.

And I’m responding to your hypotheticals, bby boi
Definitely I’m shocked MS went with 4TF and smaller RAM than the One X. It was a short sighted decision and they really should have at least matched the One X for VRAM and GPU power. There’s sufficient scope to criticize these decisions. But it’ll have to last the entire gen.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
And I’m responding to your hypotheticals, bby boi
Definitely I’m shocked MS went with 4TF and smaller RAM than the One X. It was a short sighted decision and they really should have at least matched the One X for VRAM and GPU power. There’s sufficient scope to criticize these decisions. But it’ll have to last the entire gen.
And thus it's not unheard of that some in the development industry don't like it.

I think the grumbles are more than those who are willing to come out and speak. Knowing how devs always want more ram/power and would rather have single spec workloads under lower extraction layers than PC scalability or "brute force" wrappers.

Last edited:

CeeJay

We discussed this months ago and I was one of the people stating that Series S is a graphical bridge between One X and Series X, that honestly should have never existed. Time will tell if that statement holds true.

Also, SlimySnake SlimySnake is right.
This is totally incorrect, Series S is not a bridge between One X and Series X was never marketed as that and looking at the specs it doesn't look anything like that either. One X was a beefed up 4K Xbox One, higher res but last gen hardware. Series S doesn't sit between the two at all.

One S low spec last gen
One X high spec last gen

Series S low spec current gen
Series X high spec current gen

Two separate specs in two separate gens and if the One X was still for sale it would be a higher price than Series S too.

Last edited:
Top Bottom