• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March Wrasslin |OT| Road To WrassleMania

Status
Not open for further replies.

bangai-o

Banned
I'm watching the west coast feed while working my way through the thread but I just had to come in here and say that Teddy Long running in fear, then dancing on the stage when his music hit with Santino, while an angry Laurinaitis looks on...

LMFAO!
Santino also forgot his belt.

DMczaf

Man, if it was anyone else other than Jericho and Punk in this Demon in a Bottle feud, it would be Gooker material.

But these two men, are the best....at what they do.

wtf. Vince tucked his tail between his legs?

Yep. Delayed until November at the earliest. I'll actually be surprised if it sees the light of day. P.S.

bige_lg1.jpg

RBH

Florida Championship Wrestling has been the WWE’s only developmental territory for a number of years. When you talk about the stars they have turned out, and by that I mean people who really got started there (unlike someone like Alberto Del Rio who was a world champion in Mexico and regular in Japan who went there to learn the style), and have become stars, you have Sheamus (who actually wrestled for years in Europe but did improve significantly in Florida) and, well, perhaps Wade Barrett (although I saw Barrett in OVW as Stu Sanders). Tamina Snuka and The Usos, who really started in FCW, were natural wrestlers who made the main roster quickly, but are not real stars. The biggest FCW-made star may be David Otunga, and his wrestling itself has always been considered his liability.

The few who have had some success that spent time in FCW, like Dolph Ziggler, Cody Rhodes, Ted DiBiase, Jack Swagger and others, were mostly trained in OVW, or in the case of DiBiase, was trained by Harley Race and had worked Pro Wrestling NOAH early in his career. Kofi Kingston spent a long time at Deep South. Alex Riley was a genuine FCW produced talent, who does have a lot of what they look for with the right look and talking ability, but his in-ring is also his liability and his career has greatly sputtered.

On the flip side, OVW produced John Cena (who did get started in California but he credits his best training in Louisville), Randy Orton (who had maybe three matches when he came to Louisville), Brock Lesnar, Shelton Benjamin, Jack Swagger, The Miz, Santino Marella, Beth Phoenix, Cody Rhodes, Dolph Ziggler and Dave Bautista (who is the one guy who has little positive to say about OVW). Whether that is credited to Jim Ross’ eye (and by that I mean his entire staff which included Bruce Prichard, Gerald Brisco and others at the time), or the training by Danny Davis, or the guidance of Jim Cornette and later Paul Heyman, these two paragraphs speak volumes.

Via Meltzer.

dream

That's no fun. Younger Vince would have launched it on his terms, on 3 systems, as a fuck you to Ted Turner.

That's no fun. Younger Vince would have launched it on his terms, on 3 systems, as a fuck you to Ted Turner.

The main sticking points right now is no cable network wants to pay WWE for a network in a slow economy and McMahon thinks they should pay him large amounts of money to carry it, since he thinks the brand is worth more than it really is. Even Oprah had to basically give her network away for free to get providers to carry it.

Forkball

Tensai means disaster in Japanese. It also means genius, but the kanji they showed was the one for disaster.

Also, Obunga is replacing Brotista as the guy with an entertaining gimmick, but terrible in-ring skills.

Should be interesting atleast. Him being the henchman of Johnny Ace could be cool, although I see him tapping to Cena within 2 months. If he can recover after Cena he should be alright.

Should be interesting atleast. Him being the henchman of Johnny Ace could be cool, although I see him tapping to Cena within 2 months. If he can recover after Cena he should be alright.

I look forward to seeing Cena call him A-Train in promos, then turning to the camera and winking.

I can't even get excited about Giant Bernard knowing WWE's booking. The guy will be jobbing to Cena and/or Orton within 5 months then stuck in some crappy angle, or just flounder in midcard hell until he realizes what a huge mistake he made leaving Japan...unless he stays for the money since he's had a good run in Japan already.

The worst part about HHH/Undertaker is even after the match for the next month or two we will have to see recap videos saying how it was the greatest match in history and how all the other superstars think it was so amazing.

DMczaf

The worst part about HHH/Undertaker is even after the match for the next month or two we will have to see recap videos saying how it was the greatest match in history and how all the other superstars think it was so amazing.

I'm going to transcribe the match live, and pass it down to my future generations.

I can't even get excited about Giant Bernard knowing WWE's booking. The guy will be jobbing to Cena and/or Orton within 5 months then stuck in some crappy angle, or just flounder in midcard hell until he realizes what a huge mistake he made leaving Japan...unless he stays for the money since he's had a good run in Japan already.

Yeah ... I'm already not looking forward to that part.

In the meanwhile: Bootaaay, if you can hear my call for this, any recommended matches that WrassleGAFers unfamiliar with his New Japan work should watch to see how much he's improved?

The main sticking points right now is no cable network wants to pay WWE for a network in a slow economy and McMahon thinks they should pay him large amounts of money to carry it, since he thinks the brand is worth more than it really is. Even Oprah had to basically give her network away for free to get providers to carry it.

And OWN's been sucking wind since day one. Just laid off 30 people.

In the meanwhile: Bootaaay, if you can hear my call for this, any recommended matches that WrassleGAFers unfamiliar with his New Japan work should watch to see how much he's improved?

Here's a recent match from NOAH - Bad Intentions captured the GHC tag belts from Takayama & Sano back in June and since then NOAH have been seemingly unable to pair Bernard & Anderson against any team capable of bringing the belts back home. Enter the veteran team of AJPW Triple Crown Champion Jun Akiyama & Akitoshi Saito;

Giant Bernard & Karl Anderson (c) vs Jun Akiyama & Akitoshi Saito - (NOAH 01/22/12)

Also, here's a great singles match from last December against tough-as-nails shoot-style wrestler Minoru Suzuki;

Giant Bernard vs Minoru Suzuki - (NJPW 12/04/11)

Finally, here's what is probably Bernard's best singles match in Japan, from 2006 against New Japan veteran Yuji Nagata;

Giant Bernard vs Yuji Nagata - (NJPW 04/30/06)

tm24

Well, he just had a kid, so money might be kind of important right now

Well, he just had a kid, so money might be kind of important right now

For the money it is then. As long as he has his reasons and is happy, it's all good. I won't look down on him for going where the money is after 7 years of busting his ass in Japan. For the viewer familiar with what he can do in there though, it'll be frustrating once he falls into the WWE Creative™ Meat Grinder®.

DMczaf

<Jericho> I'ma talk about your family now

<PUNK> YOU'RE BULLSHIT! YOU'RE BULLSHIT!!!1111111

<Rock> I'ma talk about fucking your mom til she can't walk anymore.

87916522_crop_650x440.jpg

G-Fex

I have a theory that John Cena never abandoned the Prototype gimmick and instead he's acting the way he is right now cause he's been programmed to remain neutral.

Also, it's interesting how
Heavy was behind everything tonight.

WrassleGAF just can't stop talking about Heavy, I can't wait to see the ratings spike the week he makes his surprise comeback.

Bootaaay is a Laurinaitis hater? Whoa. This rabbit hole is one I wish I'd not gone down.

Hey now, I'm Team Big Johnny all the way. Mr. Excitement > Teddy 'Tag Team Match Playa' Long.

4cbbfd2d.gif

G-Fex said:
I have a theory that John Cena never abandoned the Prototype gimmick and instead he's acting the way he is right now cause he's been programmed to remain neutral.

In a scary way, this makes perfect sense. I will choose to believe your theory from now on.

I have a theory that Randy Orton has to say "my name is Randy Orton" in every promo to make sure he remembers it due to all of the concussions he has had.

G-Fex

I had a theory that Randy Orton is actually a ancient bronze statue of a roman soldier brought to life by teenage girls.

And he wrestles.

steveovig

No, who would care about the money? He wants to be able to tell his kids one day that he was a WWE Champion. That's all that matters.

In all honesty, he probably won't care where he's at on the cards as long as he's making a ton of cash.

I have a theory that Randy Orton has to say "my name is Randy Orton" in every promo to make sure he remembers it due to all of the concussions he has had.

It's funny when Laurinaitis goes into his long-winded, "I am the execuctive vice pres- etc.", every time he comes out.

But what's the point of Orton doing it? It's like he's so terrible at promos that he needs some kind of trigger phrase to help him get into his awful, monotone gimmick.

Et tu, Beef? As one of the original Ace haters, I've long since come around to him. The guy plays a really good dry goofball and has terrific timing.

Tag Team Teddy was cool, but it's time for some new management round here.

I like Mr. Excitement, I do. His burn on Morrison was what got me to like him, but this moment...

sBspN.gif

That's what sealed the deal. But as much as I like Johnny's antics, I also don't want to see Teddy go, playa.

Video of a pudgy Shane Douglass showing up at RAW last night, accompanied by the sound of exactly two of the two ECW marks who give still a shit feebly chanting;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VgcgFEfxEU

Top comment nails it, as usual;

"Oh good Lord stop it already Shane - ECW is dead, Vince buried that company once and&#65279; for all - that chant don't mean jack shit anymore. Just Pathetic."

Professor Beef said:
But as much as I like Johnny's antics, I also don't want to see Teddy go, playa.

Perhaps Teddy can be GM of the divas or something, at least he'll get to make a random, meaningless tag team match every week.

Evening Musuko

Black Korea
Here's the post-show segment between The Rock and The Miz I recorded: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIuoV0UQBFs

That was a pretty good segment. Should have been on TV.

So that means it will be a "WWE.COM EXCLUSIVE".

Also, Raw was pretty dull this week outside of Punk/Jericho. But I guess since everything for Wrestlemania has been set, we're now just playing the waiting game. I'm not expecting the Go Home show to be any better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom