• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mariah Carey is having a lip sync disaster on ABC right now

Status
Not open for further replies.

R0ckman

I'm scratching my head as to why you would hire Mariah Carey to perform in 2016. At this point you would probably do better having any other actually relevant artist cover that song if you wanted it so bad.

Judging by what I've listened to on the radio, I'd say because there isn't much to offer on the R&B front, she's kind of a mix of Pop and R&B.

Watched this so many times and its still funny

But its clear that its a tech malfunction that caused her to stop singing. She starts off singing the 1st sentence, it goes down, and then she asked "can someone please turn on the monitor" "there's no sound check for this'.. there are also 2 instances in this when she tried to sing.

But if you've seen any episode of Marian's world. I hope they filmed what happened backstage after she got off the stage.

Looks like a clear tech problem. Watching the video I don't see what is so bad about it. She just went along with it for a bit and couldn't do much more.

lenovox1

But its clear that its a tech malfunction that caused her to stop singing. She starts off singing the 1st sentence, it goes down, and then she asked "can someone please turn on the monitor" "there's no sound check for this'.. there are also 2 instances in this when she tried to sing.

She said, "There was no soundcheck for this." Meaning, "I never rehearsed this today, so HERE WE GO!"

Not, "There's no sound in my ear. Somebody fix this!"

Her entire performance was just embarrassing all around. She makes Fab Morvan (& Rob Pilatus who's deceased) from Milli Vanilli look good! True musicians don't lip-sync, they do the best that they can.

This is going to be looked at for months (& maybe even years) to come & is going to negatively affect her public image.

That's not how ratings work on a one time event with no publicity that there will be a disaster.

Pop-GAFs Queen is a fake and a liar now.

Yeah, I mean it was two songs worth of airtime, right? Blink and you miss it. Not exactly great for ratings/advertisers of the main show, however awesome for everybody re-re-reporting it.

I'm honestly surprised that lip-syncing pop stars are still controversial in 2017. I thought we were on the same page regarding the completely manufactured nature of these performers.

Breads

Banned
What? This a joke post? Everyone and I mean everyone does this. It's a common practice.

Is this how typical popgaf replies go? I asked a question and you didn't explain anything in your response.

If you want to pass this off as common sense explain to me why a decades long vet whose job is to sing and dance needs to do mundane busy work that technicians on her staff are just as qualified to do? How is she specifically responsible for the shoddy work other people did?

Oh my, oh no...

How dare his POP (boooo hiss gag) star, one of the most talented pop vocalists of all time, with over 13 number 1 hits, countless awards, and a voice that literally gets studied at the graduate level...

How DARE she attempt to lip sync some of her classics now that she's in her late 40s?

Such a phony...

Real musicians don't lip-sync. Tony Bennett can still perform his heart out without doing that, & he's 90 years old. Mick Jagger & Paul McCarthy can still perform well, & they're in their mid-70's.

There are plenty of artists & musicians who can still perform that doesn't lip-sync & they happen to be both younger & older than Mariah is. And even when they screw up, they still get out there & perform the best that they can. It's no excuse. She's been in the industry long enough, so she should very well understand & know better.

lenovox1

I'm honestly surprised that lip-syncing pop stars are still controversial in 2017. I thought we were on the same page regarding the completely manufactured nature of these performers.

It shouldn't be controversy that anyone lipsyncs in freezing temperatures while wearing a body suit in Time Square where there are literally 1 million+ wireless devices that can interfere with audio and visual equipment on an open air stage that's the size of a postage stamp. The stakes are higher.

(Especially when that performer doesn't like to freaking rehearse and there has to be a consistent and quality output for millions of TV viewers.)

This is funny in different ways.

Real musicians don't lip-sync. Tony Bennett can still perform his heart out without doing that, & he's 90 years old. Mick Jagger & Paul McCarthy can still perform well, & they're in their mid 70's.

There are plenty of artists & musicians who can still perform, & they happen to be both younger & older than Mariah is. And even when they screw up, they still get out there & perform. It's no excuse. She's been in the industry long enough, so she should know better.

Everybody lipsyncs. Context is important, but every pop artist lipsyncs.

Is this how typical popgaf replies go? I asked a question and you didn't explain anything in your response.

If you want to pass this off as common sense explain to me why a decades long vet whose job is to sing and dance needs to do mundane busy work that technicians on her staff are just as qualified to do? How is she specifically responsible for the shoddy work other people did?

How are the technicians on her staff supposed to soundcheck without using the instrument (her voice) that needs the soundchecking in the first place?

Rayis

Real musicians don't lip-sync. Tony Bennett can still perform his heart out without doing that, & he's 90 years old. Mick Jagger & Paul McCarthy can still perform well, & they're in their mid-70's.

There are plenty of artists & musicians who can still perform that doesn't lip-sync & they happen to be both younger & older than Mariah is. And even when they screw up, they still get out there & perform the best that they can. It's no excuse. She's been in the industry long enough, so she should very well understand & know better.

None of them have a voice the level of Mariah had or even has nowadays, you have to be very vocally proficient to do Mariah's songs justice.

HotHamBoy

Wouldn't this be like a simple choreography error for Wrestling-GAF? They already know it's all a sham so they just shrug it off? Or is it more like a 6-year-old discovering there's no Santa?

It's more like a 30 year old finding out Santa is a drunk who just doesn't give a fuck anymore.

lenovox1

I don't think Just_myles has ever posted in PopGAF. And it wouldn't matter if he has before or not, that's a really weird and specific insult.

Anyways, this environment is one of the most technically complicated enviorments to perform in period. If you want your levels to be right, if you have any issues with any mic or any speaker or any prompter, they have to be sorted out by you the performer. No one can replace or replicate a performer's own eyes, ears, and mouth. Especially when you're working with a seperate production team.

Besides, from the sound of it she never even rehearsed the song before attempting to sing it that night.

royalan

I'm not new to any of this.

Look, I'm not trying to shade Tony Bennett, nor am I trying to give Mimi a pass. She's become a very lazy, entitled performer, nor does she keep her vocals conditioned like she used to in her prime. Last night was her fault.

But there's no use comparing the average Tony Bennett/Mick Jagger/Paul McCartney song to a Mariah Carey song, MUCH LESS "Emotions" (one of the most difficult Pop songs to sing).

Watch this. It's a vocal showcase marking every note Mariah hits in that song. She soars through 4 octaves in that one song. She ain't no Tony Bennett, and Tony sure as heck ain't her.

I always through it was weird Ashlee Simpson got raked through the coals the way that she did for that SNL disaster considering the prevalence of lip syncing. Must have been a combination of latent aggression and her completely bizarre way of handling the situation.

royalan

I always through it was weird Ashlee Simpson got raked through the coals the way that she did for that SNL disaster considering the prevalence of lip syncing. Must have been a combination of latent aggression and her completely bizarre way of handling the situation.

Ashlee got dragged for the same reason Lana Del Rey would years later.

When you don't have any real vocal talent to speak of, and your songs aren't vocally difficult, it's just even more damning to get caught in the act.

There's a higher tolerance threshold for the talented.

Mumei

Shes just shouting

????

There's a difference, sis

I mean, it is less than ideal to sing in cold conditions.

Look, I'm not trying to shade Tony Bennett, nor am I trying to give Mimi a pass. She's become a very lazy, entitled performer, nor does she keep her vocals conditioned like she used to in her prime. Last night was her fault.

But there's no use comparing the average Tony Bennett/Mick Jagger/Paul McCartney song to a Mariah Carey song, MUCH LESS "Emotions" (one of the most difficult Pop songs to sing).

Watch this. It's a vocal showcase marking every note Mariah hits in that song. She soars through 4 octaves in that one song. She ain't no Tony Bennett, and Tony sure as heck ain't her.

Mmm.

She also has a fragile voice. She always has. Even very early in her career, there are performances from 1990 and 1991 where she sang with a cold and it sounds terribly. There's a performance of her singing on Letterman back in 1994 where the temperature in the studio was about 55 °F, and she sounds very rough. She's had nodules since before the beginning of her career, and she had a smoking habit bad enough that she said, during a concert when she asked someone to stop smoking, that she stopped herself after about five years when her voice "started to deteriorate." She also mentioned in an interview about this period that she lost her voice during this period and that she prayed to God about getting her voice back if she stopped smoking.

It's not at all surprising after an over-twenty-five-year long career that she's not Tony Bennett now. Even in the best case scenario (e.g. she lived a monkish existence and sang like Karen Carpenter), her voice still would have deteriorated because it's kind of the nature of having nodules. But she was inconsistent in her efforts to keep her voice up, and she sang really difficult material.

So today, she's inconsistent. There are days where she is solid and days where she goes viral.

When I saw Weird AL he performed all of his own material, and he changed into a new costume for nearly every song. A true legend.

Ashlee got dragged for the same reason Lana Del Rey would years later.

When you don't have any real vocal talent to speak of, and your songs aren't vocally difficult, it's just even more damning to get caught in the act.

There's a higher tolerance threshold for the talented.

I admit my only familiarity with Ashlee's vocal talent begins and ends with this.

Hit hard what? Most female singers in her age are already retired. This part of her career is free ride anyway. As long as she get to keep doing shows in Vegas, she doesn't give a fuck.

Well, Madonna, Gwen Stefani, Sheryl Crow and even J-Lo give a little fuck when they perform. Hell, Tina Turner gave fucks well into her 70s.

Lol gotta love Mariah-GAF trying to spin this and defend her like she hasn't gone off the rails years ago and adopted this Queen-diva persona who's better than everyone.

BTW, this isn't simply "Mariah caught lip syncing", it's a much worse fuckup

Dalek

I have no idea who she is but the whole thing is funny, this is why real Artist do preparations works.

iu

That's pretty cool to see the notes she is hitting I always heard about how big her vocal range was.
What's the context of this gif?

neorej

ERMYGERD!
It's clear her earpiece failed, so it's hard to point blame, let's focus on facts.

Mariah Carey still has a killer body. She was my high school crush, and I'd still smash.

It's clear her earpiece failed, so it's hard to point blame, let's focus on facts.

Mariah Carey still has a killer body. She was my high school crush, and I'd still smash.

First thing I did after reading this thread and watching the video was go watch the "Honey" music video. Peak 90s.

*fist bump*

Losing her earpiece explains why she can't be bothered to remember the lyrics of songs she has been lip syncing performing for 20 years?

Haha, of course she refused to do a proper sound check before the fiasco and is now trying to shift the blame to anyone but herself. Diva gonna diva. Hope this incident serves as a wake up call for every ego centric performer out there who thinks he/she is king shit. Ah, who am I kidding, no one will give a shit in a few months or so.

She was asked about J. Lo, whom she hates, so she said she didn't know her.

Tommy Mottola tried to get back at his ex-wife, Mariah, by sabotaging her career through J. Lo, so that's where it all began.

Well apparently, Mariah is already doing the work for him on that so far. Ironically.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom