• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe |OT| Deluxe Salt

Caayn

Is driver assist turned on by default? I have that antenna at the back and don’t see a way to turn it off.
During kart selection you can disable it when you're on the stats screen of the kart.

During races you can disable it in the pause menu.

Before I jump in, what's the best way to initially experience this game?

I play handheld all the time, so I reckon I'll do docked for a couple games then be blown away by playing it on a handheld ;P

I've been playing exclusively on handheld because I don't have a TV haha

That being said it's pretty amazing. I played the absolute hell out of 8 on Wii U so being able to play it separate from a box on a beautiful screen in bed is revolutionary. Once I can do online matches in bed it'll be even crazier. I'll get to experience it on a TV tomorrow when I visit my friend, but I suspect it'll just be like "oh neat bigger screen."

Guys, how does the pink powwrslide work, and how do I get a perfect start?

This game is utterly brilliant btw. Can't believe I am playing this on a handheld. Far more impressive then my PS4 Pro IMHO!!

Pink powerslide just requires more time spent drifting. There are many tracks with turns long enough for this (Royal Raceway is very good for it). Perfect start is obtained by holding the gas right as the "2" in the countdown begins to fade.

Also posting again for newbies:

You can turn smart steering off in the kart selection menu while viewing your kart's stats

charpunk

Lol until the next launch 😘😘

No. They fucked up too many of my gaming related orders now. I just switched all of my preorders to Best Buy.

I figured there might still be hope it comes today since the local amazon distribution center isn't that far away. However, it's coming from one a few states away and hey shipped it usps.

BashNasty

Physical or digital, hm. I was 100% digital last night but dat case. Digital makes serious sense, though.

I don't understand people talking about the case as an incentive for physical. I mean, how often are you gonna stare at a case for a game?

It would be silly to not buy this digital, the convienience factor is too great.

13ruce

Banned
They finally fixed the music volume, the soundtrack is more noticeable now.

Edit: on wii u it sounded more backgroundy.

SeanR1221

I don't understand people talking about the case as an incentive for physical. I mean, how often are you gonna stare at a case for a game?

It would be silly to not buy this digital, the convienience factor is too great.

Exactly. In fact, my entertainment center hides all my cases.

I love the case art, so there's that.

Also, resale potential, obviously.

Anyways, my Amazon order is apparently with the local post office to get delivered today, so no issues here in Sandwich, MA on that front. Thankfully.

VF_Hex

Neo Member
Anyone received their Nintendo Store UK copy yet? Only ordered through them due to the £14 store credit they gave me after the mighty balls-up that was the way they handled the Switch launch.

Had an email with "It has come to our attention the dispatch email has confirmed that Mario Kart 8 Deluxe has been dispatched on standard delivery 3-5 days.

We would like to confirm that this is a system error and pre-orders have been dispatched via a 48 hour delivery service"

Got to love the vagueness of that message. The Royal Mail Tracking number was invalid, so I'm presuming that they've given them to a courier again like they did with Switch, as the Royal Mail delivery has just been and there's no sign of my MK8D copy.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Smart Steering is enabled by default? Yuck. Guess it makes sense that people who are new/terrible would have a harder time understanding how to enable it than the other way around, but still.

Rodin

It's not about staring at it but having it in your collection

I already have MK8 Wii U physical so there's that but i haven't decided yet.

RoadHazard

Gold Member

Yeah. I prefer physical copies of big SP games (I like having an actual game collection), so I understand where those people are coming from, but this is the kind of game I want to be able to fire up whenever, without having to switch game cards.

Firebrand

Damn, game looks good on the tiny screen. Could use some texture filtering and maybe easing up on the bloom though.

Also I'm glad to see spectator mode is a bit better this time (compared to MK7). And no more MIDI guitar, aaah!

13ruce

Banned
Game is awesome played a few hours and it certainly deserves the 90+ score on meta.

Battle mode is a blast.
Racing is also more fun now with the double items and new drift.
Online is also pretty fun and chaotic.

Never really played much of the Wii U version i think 30-40 hours. But this will probably get a few hundred maybe even thousand:p

But i can see why double dash was my favorite because it has double items wich i loved, because i like the chaos it can create and you can stay number 1 easier.

Firebrand

Btw, just in case there's someone here in Sweden on Telia's router (there was one in another thread), their older models blocked Nintendo consoles from playing online (port 445 I think it was that needs to be open, but unsure). Request a replacement.

If your NAT is restricted and your router has a DMZ mode you can try that for a temporary workaround.

Robin64

My router had a "This device is a gaming console" button in the list of connected devices, which changed the Switch from a C to an A. Hooray!

Oh yeah, that one. Is the Benz still optional DLC?

No, the Benz parts are just mixed in with the game now, you'll get them randomly.

Omnicent

Started downloading the digital version before leaving for work. Good think I work half-days on fridays. I'm ready for my first GAFcc night in ages (hope people will be in 150cc room. I'd love to do 200cc, but I want to ease my thumbs back into condition)

I don't have the game yet: is Smart Steering always on and it has to be turned off before every race on the kart screen/pause menu?

Or does it stay off once you turn it off?

wapplew

Played couple of games online, got rekt...first MK since DS.
Rip my Zelda progress.

Anyway, here's my friend code: SW-7487-1538-7975

Kinda worried Best Buy might screw me on this order as it still just says "Preparing" and the website still only offers options for pre-ordering.

They've never let me down in 3 years, so I'm hoping it changes soon!

Top Bottom