• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 DLC pricing confirmed ($7.99 each or $11.99 for both, 16 tracks)

Raitaro

Great that we're getting additional content for this fantastic game!

Could this mean that we will get even more content down the line, such as those other three cups they found in the code (the blue shell, boo and shine sprite cups)? Hopefully it does.

As far as I'm concerned, the one thing they could then improve (apart from adding real Battle Mode stadiums of course!) is to change the (quite lazy) Tanooki and Cat versions of Mario and Peach into alternate costumes for the full Mario Bros. crew (similar to Yoshi's colours) to open up more character slots. A Metroid and Kid Icarus pack that included Samus and Pit to fill those then open slots would be great, and perhaps some more Donkey Kong characters to round out that franchise. Princess Zelda would be nice as well. (And Little Mac perhaps.)

By the way, do you guys think that the Triforce and Leaf cups actually will have four Zelda and Animal Crossing courses each? I'm not sure, but I wouldn't mind that personally (especially if more such packs would be on the way and we could have four cups dedicated to other franchises complete with characters and vehicles).

image.php

Umm, ok.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
This conforts my theory Wii U will be there for 4/5 more years. Expand big games lifetime with DLC, make them platforms that will last for years. Amiibo was a sign of this. It looks like a confirmation.

imae

New Super Mario Bros. 2, Fire Emblem Awakening, Steel Diver Submarine Wars, Mario Golf 3DS...

Pikmin 3 too!, that game got great post release support.

Anyway... I've Preordered both mk8 dlc packs, without any hesitation, I just did it (they make it nice and easy too).

I still play the game weekly and last night I just planned to jump on for just a few races, but ended up playing for 2.5 hours. Given how much I'm still enjoying the game, the dlc packs feel like very good value.

Bulzeeb

Oh yeah it does! But did I get the necessary 500 points to claim 5 pounds?

IfAJPyJ.png

crClrO9.gif

Nintendo should move that promotion to the 3DS and keep that forever, this has really become a factor for me when deciding which platform to get a day 1 digital release or even late ports like steam world dig

I will likely pick up Mario Kart 8 now when I get my WiiU for Hyrule Warriors.
I have been feeling for a while that Nintendo should try to get a few more core characters into these types of games.

Not saying flood Mario Kart and Mario Party with 5+ characters each from other series.
Just Link and Zelda maybe throw Pikachu in there.

That is easy money for Nintendo.

Not adding Kirby was a missed opportunity, now that I think of it. He even has his own racing game!

Something I've noticed is that the three guest character appearances are characters from other Nintendo EAD produced titles. I mean, it probably doesn't mean much in relation to who else might show up in the future, but it's interesting to note.

Since we're getting skyward sword link, im going to guess we'll get a skyward sword track.

Going to guess a skyloft track, with a glider section, and the DLC includes a loftwing glider.

ramparter

Banned
Nintendo should rerelease Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2 in HD as one game and add two new worlds. Then every six months release two more worlds as dlc.

That would be the Super Mario Universe game.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
By the number of blue/orange/black Yoshis and Shy Guys that I see online there are quite a lot of people who pre-ordered the DLC pack.

Zing

Banned
I ordered it last night while playing the game for the first time in months. I forgot how fun it is. I also noticed they didn't remove the "one stutter per second" graphical glitch. So annoying. I can't unsee it.

Ok, someone please explain me how to get that damn mini map on the TV screen.
I downloaded the update(s) and got the mercedes cars but no map for some reason.
Do I have to activate it somehow?

I'm playing with the pro controller btw

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Ok, someone please explain me how to get that damn mini map on the TV screen.
I downloaded the update(s) and got the mercedes cars but no map for some reason.
Do I have to activate it somehow?

I'm playing with the pro controller btw
Minus only on the gamepad

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
There's some confusion going round about how things will work, so let's try and address things.

• Nintendo will not force players who don't purchase the DLC to download several GBs of data just to play online. The mandatory update will include the character models and the vehicle models, but not the tracks. This will be a FAIRLY SMALL update and will allow players without the DLC to still see others online playing as Link et al. This is exactly how the Mercedes DLC has worked, and indeed the coloured Yoshis/Shy Guys. By just doing yesterday's update and nothing more, you see these things when playing online.
    [*]When playing online, if a player in your lobby does not have the Pack 1 or Pack 2 DLC, tracks from those cups will not be available for voting. They will only appear if everyone in the room has the DLC.
  • The bonus of colored Yoshis/Shy Guys does not expire. You can buy the packs at any time, either as a bundle or seperately if you want, and you will get the bonus.

Sorry, what? Do we need a third GAFKart called NeoGAF |DLC|?

Davey Cakes

The "not everyone has DLC tracks" solution sounds fine to me. Otherwise people who don't buy the DLC will be able to play the tracks for free if they play online enough.

I don't see how else Ninty could do it.

Top Bottom