• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8: first update (+ Mercedes DLC) finally available

Rizsparky

On its own terms, it's a very good price. When considered alongside the rest of the EU and particularly the US getting it a hell of a lot cheaper thanks to the exchange rate, it's kind of annoying. Will still be buying though.

I though it was areally good deal until I remembered the exchange rate nonsense. The DLC bundle costs $12 which is just more than £7, the price of a single bundle..

Sakujou

Banned
link shouldnt be in that game :/
f-zero shouldnt be in that game

only the whole mario universe, but no other things... it certainly kills a few things for mario kart....

dont add too many different things in that game... its called for a reason mario kart and not super kart bros.

Improved stabilty during online races? My ass...wtf is this shit? Never had problems prior to the update and now I lose connection
and freaking points
every third race...

jts

...hate me...
I though it was areally good deal until I remembered the exchange rate nonsense. The DLC bundle costs $12 which is just more than £7, the price of a single bundle..
Welcome to games.

I don't advise you to compare any other MSRPs for games and consoles between the US and Europe.

Schlomo

Improved stabilty during online races? My ass...wtf is this shit? Never had problems prior to the update and now I lose connection
and freaking points
every third race...

Probably because everyone and their mother is playing it right now to check out the update, so the network is under stress?

hope you can play all the DLC content online too even if someone has not paid for them. Hope you are still able to race them.

not sure who would pass up paying for both of these

also like the fact you can change your Yoshi colors right now and not have to wait

Synless

Was gonna be mad about the map and having to use the gamepad to do it, but I see it saves it that way even when you shut the system off and reboot it. Good enough for me.

spekkeh

Banned
link shouldnt be in that game :/
f-zero shouldnt be in that game

only the whole mario universe, but no other things... it certainly kills a few things for mario kart....

Zelda is in the whole Mario universe.

best-zelda-weapons-20110321055411908-000.jpg

I don't know if Nintendo will force a 2GB download on everyone with Mario Kart for onlind parity when the console has such limited storage. But maybe they will. Fun times.

Zelda is in the whole Mario universe.

best-zelda-weapons-20110321055411908-000.jpg

You mean Mario snuck into a single Link fever dream...

As I said in another thread, DLC is the perfect place to explore 'smash kart'. It doesn't sully the 'purity' of the main game, and if you do want to add it to your game, it has a little bit of an entry fee.

jgwhiteus

Yes, I know MK needs an update, but how?

There is no option anywhere to update anything of the sort.

Switched off, on, launched it from main screen, still stuck on old version.

I have the eShop version of MK8, in case it makes any difference

Maybe it'll just download when it feels like it

FYI, I had this same problem this morning - I quick-launched into MK8, then when I tried to go online it said I needed to go back to the Wii U menu and get a software update. Except... there was no indication of where I was supposed to get the update - e-shop? Download management?

Turns out all I had to do was launch the game from the regular Wii U menu (not the quicklaunch menu), and it automatically started downloading the update. So normally it shouldn't be confusing and should happen automatically, unless you quicklaunch the game and skip the regular menu. EDIT: oh wait, you said you launched it from the main screen. Hmm, don't know what the problem is then.

On the update itself - I like the new mini-map, but having to press the - button to bring it up is inconvenient, because I usually have my fingers on the accelerator almost as soon as the race begins. Though after a race or two it seems to stay there and you don't need to press the button again. Oh, and I"m a bit iffy on the Mercedes designs, but they do make nice engine sounds.

fabprems

hope you can play all the DLC content online too even if someone has not paid for them. Hope you are still able to race them.
Since the DLC is 1Go each, you can presume that the new tracks are not on the disk, so I'm very doubtful that someone who hasn't paid and download the new tracks will be able to race them...

Since the DLC is 1Go each, you can presume that the new tracks are not on the disk, so I'm very doubtful that someone who hasn't paid and download the new tracks will be able to race them...

welp, even so I want to be able to race them they can sit a race out if they don't have the content (online that is)

maybe they can separate the DLC content to different servers you can only access if you have the dlc content for online play

jts

...hate me...
Next up, give me Ducati or give me death.

I need me some branded bikes as well, god dammit.

RiggyRob

This might be the first time I've ever preordered DLC. Feels strange.

If only they would have done DLC updates every 3 months instead of every 6, May 2015's a long time to wait for the second pack.

Rich!

Good, good - but we need to go deeper.

drleft.png

SimCity's Dr. Wright is in Minish Cap under an assumed name! So if SimCity is connected to TLoZ, that means...

wzpGZ.gif

He is also in Links Awakening. Mr Wright, and is 100% intended as the sim city dude, as an iwata asks mentioned

Deku Tree

Did you start the game?

Yeah I did that twice. I bought the Mercedes DLC and the Season Pass. I downloaded the Mercedes DLC. It shows up in the downloads que as being finished downloading. I started MK8 and closed it twice. But I can't find the DLC in MK8 and I never got an "installing" screen.

pdk27

Woke up this morning, downloaded the MK8 update and preordered both DLC packs. 6 characters, 8 new vehicles and 16 new courses for $12? No brainer. I'll check out the rest of the update when I get home from work.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Glad the Mercedes update is optional. I only hope some other, Nintendo related content gets added so I don't have to view it on the main menu either.

kizmah

Bought the DLC and downloaded the free Benz pack. But they are not showing up in the game. Maybe because the game is not updated, but the new update has not appeared for me. I restarted the console and started the game a couple of times but nothing is happening.

Bought the DLC and downloaded the free Benz pack. But they are not showing up in the game. Maybe because the game is not updated, but the new update has not appeared for me. I restarted the console and started the game a couple of times but nothing is happening.
Same. Have the Mercedes DLC, but not showing up.

Top Bottom