• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 - Switch vs Wii U comparison

Honestly, to me it looks even better than MK8 did which it looked pretty great for the system.

Honestly I wouldn't mind some more enhanced Switch ports of Wii U games as long as those don't become the only thing the system does but I don't think that is a realistic fear given how much has already been announced or hinted at for the system.

Marow

Please tell me I'm not the only one who thinks the Wii U footage looks choppy in comparison (exaggeration, but it really seems to stutter). I was one of those distracted by that duplicate frame before, so I wonder if it's me noticing it very well now due to a direct comparison...

nkarafo

Please tell me I'm not the only one who thinks the Wii U footage looks choppy in comparison (exaggeration, but it really seems to stutter). I was one of those distracted by that duplicate frame before, so I wonder if it's me noticing it very well now due to a direct comparison...
You are not the only one. It looks choppy for me too. It's not like this on the WiiU.

Most Nintendo fans have never owned Mario Kart 8. Switch is on track to outsell the Wii U after one year. Releasing a GOTY edition at full price was an absolute no brainer, and it's different from an HD remaster of an older game.

I mean, releasing MK8D is obviously a good move for Nintendo, but more people owned MK8 than TWW.

Azuran

Banned
Probably going to catch some flack for this, but I just don't see enough to warrant the deluxe version & the $60 price tag.

It is kind of sad that there have been no announcements or My Nintendo coupons for those of us who bought all of this stuff before.

They still have all the old Club Nintendo data, and they have everyone else's eshop records. They could/should have done something to entice owner's of WiiU game some more.

I get it, I know other companies don't do it, but it that doesn't make it any better or excusable. It would just be a nice gesture to show those who have supported Nintendo in the past that they appreciate it.

As is, I am glad that some will get to enjoy this for the first time, and happy for those who want to double dip. I can wait on the sidelines because I don't think it a good idea to support this kind of business practice, even if I end up in the minority.

You're absolutely right. The price is a complete fucking joke.

Everyone release remasters at lower prices but of course, this is Nintendo doing it now so GAF doesn't mind.

Skyzard

Banned
Does the switch version add aa? Or is it the resolution bump cleaning it up a bit? AF could be higher though, even with compression you can see it clearing up as a line not too far off from you.

It looks like shit in comparison. I don't remember it being that bad but I played on the gamepad most of the time.

They don't owe Wii U owners anything. It has new content and all the DLC. The Wii U version of MK8 is still $50 I believe.

They kinda cut WiiU as a platform short pretty quick.

Everyone release remasters at lower prices but of course, this is Nintendo doing it now so GAF doesn't mind.

you are getting a better value from buying the switch version than you would get from buying the wiiu version at its current price, so no, its not a complete fucking joke,

tebunker

Banned
It's pretty similar to a GOTY Edition though right?
Kind of Yes, and I acknowledge that, doesn't make me happy about that whole practice. I get it.

It's called Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and not Mario Kart 9. All the DLC, improved performance, and a battle mode for the price the original is going for is pretty decent.
I disagree, I don't think it is enough. But I get your point of view.

What business practice? You mean updating a game and selling it for what it's worth? What is the difference between this and a Game of the Year Edition?

I swear, lots of people on Gaf are cheap and thinks shit should cost $20.

Jump to conclusions much. No one said that, so get out with that noise. Right, I think I stated it pretty clearly, many people, almost 5 million, supported this game 2 years ago, and I'd bet a lot of us bought the DLC.

I am fine with them re-releasing it, honestly I am fine they want to charge full price, I don't disagree that there isn't a lot of value, what I am saying that showing some loyalty to WiiU supporters isn't a bad thing.

Not asking for the game for $20, but letting those of us who supported them, as in bought the game and all the DLC, get it for $40 digitally makes Re-buying the game more palatable.

As well, usually GOTY versions come out on the same platform and aren't always full price, See Dark Souls 3 Final version coming out this month. This is more akin to TLOU remastered, and I didn't like that either. This just in, it's okay for people to not be okay with this and state that rationally.

They don't owe Wii U owners anything. It has new content and all the DLC. The Wii U version of MK8 is still $50 I believe.
Well I can disagree.

It's smart business.
Kart sells a ton and this will make Nintendo a shitload of money.
never said it wouldn't make them a lot of money or not sell a shit ton, totally tangential to my point. All I am saying that that you garner more goodwill looking out for the customers who were there for you. I don't expect it, I was just saying it was nice.

How much should it be considering it contains both DLC packs, new characters, totally new Battle Mode with multiple modes, and MK8 currently sells for $50?
What they charge and what the Market pays are two totally different things. They can charge $50 for a game on a dead system all they want, and they will get very little to no sales. Yay them. However, like I said above, Dark Souls 3, only a year old, with full DLC, $49.99. Vanilla Dark Souls 3 digitally is still $60 (using your silly $50 example in the same context, the $60 price is stupid) and the Season's Pass is $25, so uh there's value there.

Kadin

Yeah I definitely noticed some frame drop around the 1:20 mark when Bowser is going down to that right hand turn.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
In the video there is constant stuttering at the left side. Maybe youtube is messed up on my system i can't explain it if i'm the only one who sees it. Mario Kart on our WiiU is smoother.

Yeah the Switch version looks so much better because it looks smoother

TS-08

Nintendo is pricing MK8D at $60 because they can, to be frank. It'll sell millions and millions of copies at full price and the vast majority who buy it won't bat an eye at the price. There's no moral imperative to price a "rerelease" at less than full retail value and it's useless to act like there is one. And this isn't even getting into the discussion of the new or additional content that comes with the game.

Probably going to catch some flack for this, but I just don't see enough to warrant the deluxe version & the $60 price tag.

It is kind of sad that there have been no announcements or My Nintendo coupons for those of us who bought all of this stuff before.

They still have all the old Club Nintendo data, and they have everyone else's eshop records. They could/should have done something to entice owner's of WiiU game some more.

I get it, I know other companies don't do it, but it that doesn't make it any better or excusable. It would just be a nice gesture to show those who have supported Nintendo in the past that they appreciate it.

As is, I am glad that some will get to enjoy this for the first time, and happy for those who want to double dip. I can wait on the sidelines because I don't think it a good idea to support this kind of business practice, even if I end up in the minority.

I see nothing wrong with feeling this way. I would never pay full price for a remaster or re-release of a game I've already owned, ever.

If I had never owned the game before, I'd be more open to it. But if I owned a Switch I would find a way to grab this at a discounted rate.

It's actually particularly galling in Australia because at launch...

- Mario Kart 8 Wii U, launch day, $59 with a free game (many of which are STILL full price)

- Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, $62 is the cheapest local price (actually a pretty good deal... RRP is $79)

I'm not about to protest about it, but I just wouldn't pay that much for the same game again.

They don't "owe" Wii U owners anything, but it sure would be a nice gesture for Wii U owners.

What business practice? You mean updating a game and selling it for what it's worth? What is the difference between this and a Game of the Year Edition?

I swear, lots of people on Gaf are cheap and thinks shit should cost $20.

It makes perfect business sense. This game will sell far more here than on Wii U. But if you bought a game, would you generally turn around and re-buy the GOTY edition at full price a couple of years later? It's usually cheaper to buy the DLC separately (usually!) if you already own a game.

I think a discount for people who already own the game would be ideal, and I feel this is the case for ALL remasters, re-releases etc. Several developers have done exactly that in similar situations.

Maybe it's not possible for Nintendo to do this without major headaches. It's certainly not something that they NEED to do, but don't get offended when people aren't jumping for joy at the thought of paying full price for a game they already own!

jbueno

Loved the shit out of MK8 on Wii U, will get a Switch this summer for this and Zelda. Honestly feel its worth it for 1080p/60 FPS and DLC in the card.

ngower

Still can't figure out if I'm gonna pick this up or not. Battle mode isn't really enough incentive. I wish they'd announce if they're going to keep adding maps down the road. Doubt it, so they can have plenty in store for MK9, but I played the hell out of MK8 and am trying to figure out if this game's for me or not.

tebunker

Banned
Nintendo is pricing MK8D at $60 because they can, to be frank. It'll sell millions and millions of copies at full price and the vast majority who buy it won't bat an eye at the price. There's no moral imperative to price a "rerelease" at less than full retail value and it's useless to act like there is one. And this isn't even getting into the discussion of the new or additional content that comes with the game.

Actually I am not even asking them to price the game less. I think it should straight up be a loyalty coupon from MyNintendo that gets you like $20 off digitally. It doesn't affect MSRP because you're right a lot of people will buy it, and yet it still shows their loyal customers some appreciation.

I assign no morals to any corporation, but the people behind the machine making the decisions should be asked why don't they think more of the people who supported them when they were down. It's just one way of looking at customer focused organization...

Hey if you don't want to pay the $60 then wait for the price drop. Probably won't drop in price for another 2 years 😂

Supply and demand.

Actually I am not even asking them to price the game less. I think it should straight up be a loyalty coupon from MyNintendo that gets you like $20 off digitally. It doesn't affect MSRP because you're right a lot of people will buy it, and yet it still shows their loyal customers some appreciation.

I assign no morals to any corporation, but the people behind the machine making the decisions should be asked why don't they think more of the people who supported them when they were down. It's just one way of looking at customer focused organization...

My Samsung tv failed me. Should I expect Samsung to give me a discount on their next model? I made the decision to buy a Wii U and it failed. It happens. And Reggie said they were looking into this for Wii U owners do something may come out of it.

Piggus

Looks very choppy on my phone, whereas the Switch footage looked fine. Looked like there was a problem with the video encoding or something.

Hey if you don't want to pay the $60 then wait for the price drop. Probably won't drop in price for another 2 years 😂

Supply and demand.

More like Nintendo being Nintendo.

Nintendo is pricing it at 60 because everyone in the DLC announcement thread said they would pay much more and they listened.
I'm joking

It's 60 because that's business. Plus I can't hate the price since They gave me a free $60 game when i bought the Wii U version

Majine

Banned
The way I see it is: Will I get my moneys worth?

Well, with freaking 48 courses as well as the 8 battle mode ones, this is the easiest 60 bucks in a long while personally. Can't wait.

TS-08

You didn't "support" them. They sold a product and you bought it. Both parties benefitted from the other. You didn't donate money to them out of the kindness of your heart. Why is there anything else required? Do you make similar complaints any time Nintendo releases literally anything else?

Youtube compression and the high frame rate makes it difficult to see any real difference, but I'm sure the resolution bump is a nice treat for the eyes in person.

Tbh, they probably could have ported the game without any graphical changes at all and I would still be there day for portable MK8. The game was already gorgeous. From MK7 to MK8 is a ridiculously huge jump.

With MK8 holding so much of its value, it'll only cost me $25 to upgrade anyway. That's not bad at all.

Skyzard

Banned
You didn't "support" them. They sold a product and you bought it. Both parties benefitted from the other. You didn't donate money to them out of the kindness of your heart. Why is there anything else required? Do you make similar complaints any time Nintendo releases literally anything else?

You also expect a certain number of years of support.

Sony was endlessly shat on for cutting support for the Vita too quickly.

Looks very choppy on my phone, whereas the Switch footage looked fine. Looked like there was a problem with the video encoding or something.

More like Nintendo being Nintendo.

More like the demand is there so no need to drop the price. I know who would've thought that's how business works? Wii U version is $50. This game would've never been under $50 for sure considering it includes a brand new battle mode with 8 tracks part of it. It has all the DLC stages too.

13ruce

Banned
Looks great will double dip, double items is my jam Double Dash was my fav kart game. I did not play the original mariokart 8 much and i bought and played the dlc tracks once.

Will play the shit out of it now including the new awesome battle mode.

The new pink drift also is nice and double items is extra chaos and i love chaos in racing games.
Oh and Inklings and Bowser Jr (i missed him sice MK Wii:( )+ King Boo? Hell yeah.

hatchx

Banned
People can be as pissed as they want about the price, but when the game sells 10 million units nobody is going to say they overpriced it other than a few disgruntled armchair analyst gaffers.

Nintendo 1st party games don't go down in price. Other GOTY editions are cheaper because those games front load sales based on pre-orders and the price slowly drops. Nintendo 1st party games simply don't drop in price because people don't trade them in and they are generally excellent.

Not to mention the game is fully playable portably now. Do people forget this?

Obviously I'd like it to be cheaper. I'd like it to be free! I think a fair consolation would have been to give anyone who purchased the DLC on their WiiU a small discount.

ZeoVGM

Banned
The price complaining is so silly. You don't need to buy it if you don't like the price. That's fine. They don't owe Wii U owners anything, however.

This is a business and it's a brand new console that is less than two months old. They're not releasing a freaking discounted game even if it is a port. It also includes all of the DLC and a completely new mode with 8 tracks.

If you owned MK8 before, obviously it makes sense to not want to spend $60 again. But it's ridiculous to expect them to offer it at a discount to appease a very small amount of people in the grand scheme of potentially selling closer to MKWii than MK8 on Wii U.

I don't remember seeing anywhere near this amount of complaining when GTAV was re-released on current gen consoles for $60.

Mory Dunz

lol people gonna be mad when the next pokemon is $60 too aren't they...

The price complaining is so silly. You don't need to buy it if you don't like the price. That's fine. They don't owe Wii U owners anything, however.

This is a business and it's a brand new console that is less than two months old. They're not releasing a freaking discounted game even if it is a port. It also includes all of the DLC and a completely new mode with 8 tracks.

If you owned MK8 before, obviously it makes sense to not want to spend $60 again. But it's ridiculous to expect them to offer it at a discount to appease a very small amount of people in the grand scheme of potentially selling closer to MKWii than MK8 on Wii U.

I don't remember seeing anywhere near this amount of complaining when GTAV was re-released on current gen consoles for $60.

I'm personally not getting it since I have the Wii U version and DLC, and don't care much for battle mode, but my individual buying decision isn't going to make me have the dumb argument that it should be priced differently. Wii U version costs 50 so....

lol people gonna be mad when the next pokemon is $60 too aren't they...

I'm personally not getting it since I have the Wii U version and DLC, and don't care much for battle mode, but my individual buying decision isn't going to make me have the dumb argument that it should be priced differently. Wii U version costs 50 so....

If it comes out looking like upresed Sun and Moon people probably will. The increase to 60 dollars was due to production cost increases.

Oh, trust me, its future sales performance will show that many, many beyond GAF will be fine with this price. :)

It's the entire Mario Kart 8 game + all of its DLC + a decent amount of brand new content exclusive to this version.

It's probably among the best re-releases ever. Easily worth $60.

Also has nothing to do with it being a Nintendo game. TLoU Remastered was originally going to retail for $60 and I was more than willing to buy it again at that amount. Some games are simply worth full asking price, regardless of age or it being re-released.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Nah, most real Nintendo fans have played the crap out of MK8.

There are many "real" Nintendo fans who did not own a Wii U.

I'm not one of them. I owned a Wii U, loved it and am getting this on day one despite having already purchased it and all the DLC.

But I recognize that the Wii U was a massive disaster and there are many Nintendo fans who didn't get it.

hatchx

Banned
Honestly I wouldn't mind some more enhanced Switch ports of Wii U games as long as those don't become the only thing the system does but I don't think that is a realistic fear given how much has already been announced or hinted at for the system.

I mean, Mario Kart 8 is literally the only announced WiiU remaster. I suppose BoTW sort of counts too...

I think there are more coming for sure, but I feel Nintendo is being smart not to give the impression the Switch is all WiiU remasters. They are definitely putting a spotlight on ARMS and Splatoon 2. I expect we'll get another remaster or two in the later half of the year, but Nintendo was smart to announce Xenoblade 2, Fire Emblem Warriors, and Mario Odyssey (all new games).

13ruce

Banned
People pre ordering FFXII must have been scammed like no other 50-60 bucks for a decade old game feels bad man /s

Dark Souls 3 GOTY is out this week and is 50 bucks, the psn version is still 59,99 without dlc....

Mario Kart Wii U still goes for 50...

Edit: just wait for a select version/discount if the price bothers you. I used a giftcard and got it down to 42 at that price i find it worth a buy.

Mory Dunz

If it comes out looking like upresed Sun and Moon people probably will. The increase to 60 dollars was due to production cost increases.

If stars exists I think it will be that. Next pokemon on Switch would have the "growth".
And if it has a 3DS version that is $40, it's definitely $50 or $60.

Gonna be fun.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Looks good, I never felt bothered by Wii U version IQ but 1080p definitelly will look crispier in my 24" monitor (let alone in Switch screen.. whenever I can get one, btw).

I swear people thinking "it's not fair" doesn't get that the game is just $10 less in Wii U with no extra-content nor DLC so $60 is just keeping the same price. That or they believe corporations care about being "fair" whenever they can print money

-hadouken

There are many "real" Nintendo fans who did not own a Wii U.
Bullshit - real fans don't sit a console out when beloved franchises are being published on the system. I waited until I could find a Wii U cheap, and if I sold it now the ownership experience would have cost around $50. Anyone who really loves Mario Kart found a way to play it back in 2014.

Cipherr

"Real fan" purity tests up in here.
KuGsj.gif

Vinnk

Bought the WiiU version. All the DLC too.

I'll be buying the Switch version at full price and I ain't even mad.

I got my $72 worth out of the first game (hundreds of hours logged). And I will get my $60 worth of this new game. It may not be a sequel but I am fine with:

-New characters
-New stages
-A much better battle mode
-Double weapon usage
-A guided mode so my kids can play more easily
-Real 60fps (not that I could notice on the WiiU)
-Improved resolution

And more so than any of these, the ability to play it in portable mode. Mario cart on the train? Local-multi play in the break room?

Yeah I'm in. $60 is fine. Would I be happy with a bit of a discount? Sure, of course. But not saving a few dollars is not worth me skipping this one. I doubt I am alone there.

But for those who think the upgrade is not with the money, vote with your wallet, don't buy it. Play the WiiU version. It's still a fantastic game. THe DX version existing doesn't take that away.

Bullshit - real fans don't sit a console out when beloved franchises are being published on the system. I waited until I could find a Wii U cheap, and if I sold it now the ownership experience would have cost around $50. Anyone who really loves Mario Kart found a way to play it back in 2014.

the only bullshit thing is you is arguing that a stupid term like real fan is a real thing, you dont get to decide who is a real fan or not

Top Bottom