• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 - Switch vs Wii U comparison

Lylo

Switch version is sharper due to the resolution bump and more fluid, sooo good. Can't wait to play it...again!

Also, i paid US$71,98 for Mario Kart 8 + DLC packs on Wii U, i'm ok paying US$59,99 for it on Switch plus all previous DLC + new characters + improved battle modes + new battle arenas + new itens + improved performance and IQ + portability.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
In the video there is constant stuttering at the left side. Maybe youtube is messed up on my system i can't explain it if i'm the only one who sees it. Mario Kart on our WiiU is smoother.
Yeah, I played the game enough on Wii U to know that it did not look like that. I'm not surprised that the Switch version looks better but it doesn't seem like an entirely fair/accurate comparison.

I'm not super fond of the terminology either. Simply put, when MK8 was published 3 years ago, people who valued the franchise found a way to get their hands on it. It was cheaper than a Switch, and readily available.

You can value a franchise and still not feel the need to spend $360 for a system and a copy of the game. Especially when we're talking about a console as undesirable as Wii U.

When the Switch version of this title eventually outsells its Wii U predecessor, you'll understand.

You can value a franchise and still not feel the need to spend $360 for a system and a copy of the game. Especially when we're talking about a console as undesirable as Wii U.

When the Switch version of this title eventually outsells its Wii U predecessor, you'll understand.
Exactly

Majine

Banned
Having a portable Mario Kart multiplayer machine that you can prop up, hand your friend a joycon and you're off to the races...

That, is a #gamechanger

The joycon with the stick in the middle sucks, but still...

...And more so than any of these, the ability to play it in portable mode. Mario cart on the train? Local-multi play in the break room?

But for those who think the upgrade is not with the money, vote with your wallet, don't buy it. Play the WiiU version. It's still a fantastic game. THe DX version existing doesn't take that away.

Portability alone is worth the price of admission for some people. In fact, if a version of MK8 with inferior graphics etc was released on 3DS plenty of people would buy it.

Speaking of the Wii U version though... how long will online be accessible? Is it all P2P and thus totally reliant on just the people playing? Or are there servers that Nintendo will deactivate at some stage?

Chronos24

Anyone notice how on WiiU the environment around the track doesnt seem to flow as smoothly as the Switch. Like the racers and track move smooth but the background environment doesnt. Hard to explain really but I noticed it right off the bat.

atbigelow

I think I'm gonna pass on this until a price drop. I played a lot of the original, and don't care to pay $60 to experience most of it again. If others are super in, sweet. I'll see ya guys online at some point!

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
1080p on that tiny ass Switch? Sold.

Does the Switch version have antialiasing?

Definitely in it for all Dlc and couple other goodies. Never bought any Dlc for wii u version.

Just hope it plays good on Joy cons.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Bullshit - real fans don't sit a console out when beloved franchises are being published on the system. I waited until I could find a Wii U cheap, and if I sold it now the ownership experience would have cost around $50. Anyone who really loves Mario Kart found a way to play it back in 2014.

So basically, you're not a "real" fan unless you blindly support everything a company puts out. Right.

That's fanboyish nonsense. You can be a huge Nintendo fan and still not be impressed by a new console, especially since it died so quickly.

You do not decide who is and who is not a fan. Get off your high horse.

hatchx

Banned
So basically, you're not a "real" fan unless you blindly support everything a company puts out. Right.

That's fanboyish nonsense. You can be a huge Nintendo fan and still not be impressed by a new console, especially since it died so quickly.

We should really drop the 'real fan' thing. It's not even worth entertaining the argument.

It's a silly and hyperbolic term and really doesn't belong anywhere outside of a schoolyard pissing match.

EDIT - I'm agreeing with you

Not asking for the game for $20, but letting those of us who supported them, as in bought the game and all the DLC, get it for $40 digitally makes Re-buying the game more palatable.

So physical owners get screwed? How do you appease them? Plus I bet I have given Nintendo more money on the Wii U than you did, should they appease me as a high paying customer too? Where does this rewarded loyalty end?

Switch version is sharper due to the resolution bump and more fluid, sooo good. Can't wait to play it...again!

Also, i paid US$71,98 for Mario Kart 8 + DLC packs on Wii U, i'm ok paying US$59,99 for it on Switch plus all previous DLC + new characters + improved battle modes + new battle arenas + new itens + improved performance and IQ + portability.

Same, I'm not deluded enough to expect "loyalty" from a company with regards to one of its most valuable IPs.

hatchx

Banned
The real question is have they implemented audio options? Independent sfx and music volume control?

I love the music in this game but hate that it's burried under all the annoying sfx.

I doubt it, but I'd like this as well (and like to know the answer).

jrDev

Wait a minute, there is a Mute City stage without Captain Falcon being in the game? It also now hit me because of the new futuristic approach in 8, which they will definitely carry over into new versions; means no new FZero 😭😭

atr0cious

Wait a minute, there is a Mute City stage without Captain Falcon being in the game? It also now hit me because of the new futuristic approach in 8, which they will definitely carry over into new versions; means no new FZero 😭😭
This reaction has made the port worth while. New people get to experience this pain. Wait till they find out about 200cc.

Wait a minute, there is a Mute City stage without Captain Falcon being in the game? It also now hit me because of the new futuristic approach in 8, which they will definitely carry over into new versions; means no new FZero ����

Big Blue is a stage too. And of course Captain Falcon is in!

maxresdefault.jpg

-hadouken

Heh, I don't blindly support Nintendo - I'm regularly cynical of their practices. The point I'm making is that people who are invested in a game find a way to play it. It wasn't comparatively expensive or difficult to acquire.

For the record, I paid $185 AUD for my Wii U brand new (Switch is $470).

VanWinkle

$60 for this game is TOTALLY fair.

From a completely personal standpoint, though, I'm kind of bummed out. I would love to play this on Switch, but there's no way I can justify paying $60 for a game I already have that looks so similar and has the same content (besides the battle mode, which I am not interested in).

watershed

Banned
Crazy to think that arguably the best console Mario Kart game is now going to be unarguably the best handheld Mario Kart game. Every once in a while the Switch still amazes me.

My first Mario Kart since the N64. REALLY hyped for this one.

Also this game is gonna sell like gangbusters. Mario Kart in 720p on the go? People are going to buy Switches for this game too.

Fularu

Banned
Bought the WiiU version. All the DLC too.

I'll be buying the Switch version at full price and I ain't even mad.

I got my $72 worth out of the first game (hundreds of hours logged). And I will get my $60 worth of this new game. It may not be a sequel but I am fine with:

-New characters
-New stages
-A much better battle mode
-Double weapon usage
-A guided mode so my kids can play more easily
-Real 60fps (not that I could notice on the WiiU)
-Improved resolution

And more so than any of these, the ability to play it in portable mode. Mario cart on the train? Local-multi play in the break room?

Yeah I'm in. $60 is fine. Would I be happy with a bit of a discount? Sure, of course. But not saving a few dollars is not worth me skipping this one. I doubt I am alone there.

But for those who think the upgrade is not with the money, vote with your wallet, don't buy it. Play the WiiU version. It's still a fantastic game. THe DX version existing doesn't take that away.

This, so much this and I own MK8+DLC on WiiU too.

The GF will go bonkers when she sees it running on the screen in two week ;-)

My first Mario Kart since the N64. REALLY hyped for this one.

Also this game is gonna sell like gangbusters. Mario Kart in 720p on the go? People are going to buy Switches for this game too.
Dang since Mario Kart 64!?! So many great memories from 64 since it was my first MK game. You'll definitely love this Mario Kart game.

Instro

Bullshit - real fans don't sit a console out when beloved franchises are being published on the system. I waited until I could find a Wii U cheap, and if I sold it now the ownership experience would have cost around $50. Anyone who really loves Mario Kart found a way to play it back in 2014.

I wouldn't blame any Nintendo fans, lapsed or otherwise, for ducking the WiiU.

Game is totally overpriced. Nintendo really sucks with their pricing policies.

Mory Dunz

Crazy to think that arguably the best console Mario Kart game is now going to be unarguably the best handheld Mario Kart game. Every once in a while the Switch still amazes me.

82 metacritic tho. Too much re in master.
Actually, I usually don't pay much attention to metacritics....but am kinda following this one tbh.
Given other remaster ratings, given the first game's ratings, given the complete DLC, given battle mode (which was the main complaint)....we'll see. I'm curious.

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
Nintendo's artists are out of this World. Bowser looks like straight up claymation and good enough to eat.

I got my Switch on day one and have MK8D pre ordered but I hope that one day we get to see what those artists can do on beefy Nintendo hardware!

Yukinari

Wondering what other QoL changes they added.

Like did they rebalance item distribution because of 2 item slots? Did they change the physics in 200CC a bit so that the mode feels more organic on the tracks we have?

Nerrel

Probably going to catch some flack for this, but I just don't see enough to warrant the deluxe version & the $60 price tag.

It is kind of sad that there have been no announcements or My Nintendo coupons for those of us who bought all of this stuff before.

They still have all the old Club Nintendo data, and they have everyone else's eshop records. They could/should have done something to entice owner's of WiiU game some more.

I get it, I know other companies don't do it, but it that doesn't make it any better or excusable. It would just be a nice gesture to show those who have supported Nintendo in the past that they appreciate it.

As is, I am glad that some will get to enjoy this for the first time, and happy for those who want to double dip. I can wait on the sidelines because I don't think it a good idea to support this kind of business practice, even if I end up in the minority.

I agree completely. I actually wanted this a lot, but I'm not buying the same game again for full price again. The only substantial change is that they added a real battle mode- which was supposed to be there in the first place and only wasn't because they had to rush the game out to save the Wii U. They owe us that; I'm not paying $60 for it. Other than that, it's just a couple of characters and a few tweaked mechanics. And don't forget you're going to have to pay to play online now.

I don't understand the defense force over this; this is why Nintendo does stuff like this. Because their fans will still buy in droves and even defend it. I just don't get how you can be so happy to pay a full $60 again for essentially the same game at 1080p. It would have been totally fair to give an eshop discount to those who own the game already on Wii U, and I think it would have helped make Switch itself a little more appealing to sell the game a little cheaper to everyone and make it that much easier to fill out a good launch library. I'd still love to buy it on sale, but Nintendo doesn't really do those, so...

ZeoVGM

Banned
Heh, I don't blindly support Nintendo - I'm regularly cynical of their practices. The point I'm making is that people who are invested in a game find a way to play it. It wasn't comparatively expensive or difficult to acquire.

For the record, I paid $185 AUD for my Wii U brand new (Switch is $470).

Why are you making it about price?

The point is that not every big Nintendo fan wanted a Wii U. You're not any less of a Nintendo fan because you didn't buy a console that was nearly obsolete a few months after it launched.

(Although your price argument doesn't work either seeing as that you're over simplifying how "cheap" it is for many people to buy a console. And spending even $200 on a dead console isn't something many can do.)

Top Bottom