• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart Wii Hands-on

zigg

Davidion said:
Holding the remote sideways and using the motion sensor function to drive isn't "excite truck controls"?

Excite Truck also has a rather deep motion-controlled stunt system... rotate for truck spins, tilt to control your air, etc. At no point do you shake the controller to do anything.

That said,

Ramenman said:
If you're talking about how 1UP describes the stunt system, then it's not "shaking" as running in Raving Rabbids or RE4, it's just tilting the controller upwards or backwards.

This sounds better. Thanks for the info.

You know, I like snaking, but it's probably for the best they've changed the system. The way it is now seems to be just as difficult to master but less exploitable.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
If they nerfed snaking, hopefully they came up with similar control for the blue shell. I'd love to see the red shell become fixed a bit as well, still make it homing, but with a technique to avoid (but still difficult)

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
hype really increasing now. if you guys have been following the trend AT ALL, you would know that following Smash, this game is next on the list of heavy hitters. I expect an April/May release. That's awesome!

methodman

Banned
PantherLotus said:
hype really increasing now. if you guys have been following the trend AT ALL, you would know that following Smash, this game is next on the list of heavy hitters. I expect an April/May release. That's awesome!

It seems like they just keep adding more and more features to these games. This is awesome.

PantherLotus said:
No way MK is coming out that soon after Smash.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
DeaconKnowledge said:
No way MK is coming out that soon after Smash.

I could see it in May. It's releasing April 10th in Japan and is rumored to be around the same time in Europe.

Releasing it in May still gives it 2 months or so between Smash.

I honestly see Wii Fit being moved closer to the holiday season..

Davidion

zigg said:
Excite Truck also has a rather deep motion-controlled stunt system... rotate for truck spins, tilt to control your air, etc. At no point do you shake the controller to do anything.

That said,

This sounds better. Thanks for the info.

Revelation aside, the reference only regards the actual motion controls and not the stunt system. I'm well aware of how the stunt system works, being knee-deep in mirror mode.

I think you might be taking Excite Truck seriousness to a whole new level. :lol Though I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing just yet.

Haunted

catfish said:
If they nerfed snaking, hopefully they came up with similar control for the blue shell. I'd love to see the red shell become fixed a bit as well, still make it homing, but with a technique to avoid (but still difficult)
Strong items like the blue shell are important to level the playing field between differently skilled players, imo. Just that spice of randomness the game needs.

And you can already avoid red shells in DD, not sure if that's what you meant.

Ahh that`s a very clever change to the powerslide system, not only does it remove the snaking exploit but it also makes boosting MUCH more comfortable with the wheel (Anyone who`s ever played Mario Kart Arcade GP 1 or 2 or any Mario Kart game with a steering wheel would know how horrible it controls to pull off a power slide!)

Also the online features sound insanely awesome (A complete U-turn from MKDS!) I hope that the weekly DLC missions are done through Wii Connect 24 like SSBB`s custom stages, it would be so cool if you could wake up and find a new mission just sitting there waiting for you :D Also I hope they can pull off 4 player splitscreen online (2 player splitscreen online is nice but I want to see them go all the way!)

Oh and the Mario Kart Channel will almost certainatly be seperate, they probably put it on the disc within the game to make it easier to demonstrate (The fact that it is a channel as well is a dead giveaway!)

Graphics look much better than the last batch of screenshots too :D

Also, live commentary during online tournies (Like Zelda BS) would be freaking awesome, MAKE IT HAPPEN NINTENDO!!!

Redd

fresquito said:
Well, the biggest change is that it could kill snaking.

Please please get rid of snaking. I don't want to have to just play with my friends online or snake just to compete.

EktorPR

PantherLotus said:

But where would Wii Fit, um, fit in that schedule? Wii Fit is a sure bet for April (to steal some of GTA IV's thunder) so that'd leave May/June for a Kart release.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
The best part about this is the ability to use the Cube controller or the classic controller like for Smash Bros.

EktorPR

fly high ~ayunite~ said:
Seriously. If Wii Fit can have it's own channel so can Mario Kart. C'mon Nintendo. :D

Wii Fit has it to let you track your weight and other stats daily without inserting the game (non-game, lulz) disc...however, I don't see an use for an ever-present channel for Mario Kart.

schuelma

EktorPR said:
But where would Wii Fit, um, fit in that schedule? Wii Fit is a sure bet for April (to steal some of GTA IV's thunder) so that'd leave May/June for a Kart release.

I don't think so. I think Wii Fit slips into the Fall to lead into the holiday season. Wii Fit on Oprah= holiday gold.

EktorPR

schuelma said:
I don't think so. I think Wii Fit slips into the Fall to lead into the holiday season. Wii Fit on Oprah= holiday gold.

Almost a year from it's eastern release? Doubt it. This Christmas belongs to Animal Crossing.

Neo Child

Banned
So, erm, has anything done what Nintendo promised concerning Wii Connect24?

Like, is there currently any game that auto downloads content without any input from the player - e.g waking up the next day to find a new level etc?

Neo Child said:

Like, is there currently any game that auto downloads content without any input from the player - e.g waking up the next day to find a new level etc?

Only Super Smash Bros Brawl, every day a random user made custom made level gets sent to your Wii so you get to play a new stage every day :D

Elebits and Dewy`s Adventure use Wii Connect 24 to send custom levels but only in the traditional way, not the way Nintendo promised.

samratty

I believe smash autodownloads new custom created levels everyday... could be wrong tho

edit: BEATEN :(

EktorPR

Neo Child said:

Brawl. (shit, beaten by two people)

fresquito

Neo Child said:

Yes: Brawl.

schuelma

EktorPR said:
Almost a year from it's eastern release? Doubt it. This Christmas belongs to Animal Crossing.

I think AC will be Japan's big holiday release- I'm a bit skeptical that it will be out in N.A at the same time.

I'm just guessing on Wii Fit, but it looks a lot more likely than MK to get moved back.

Ramenman

Mr. Spinnington said:
lol seriously? people took this seriously?

Believe me, this wouldn't have been the first time someone really think that WFC doesn't allow random matchmaking.

Hence the joke post.
Hence my fury-fast reaction :/

Ramenman

bearcatjosh said:
So GAF likes Mario Kart Wii today?

The fact that half the shitty-ass-GT5-comparison trolls finally got banned might help.

Also the "online will suck" crowd better hide now.

Haunted

TheGreatDave said:
:eek: Hell yes.
:eek: Hell yes seconded. I'll kick your ass there.

Mr. Spinnington said:
lol seriously? people took this seriously?
Did you see the other Mario Kart thread? Some of the serious posts in there were much worse that this sarcastic one. :/ Most of the retards got banned, though - that's why this thread is pretty much trolling-free so far. :D

Crushed

Fry Daddy
NOT TO BEAT THE DEAD GRAPHICS HORSE (no offense to GraphicsHorse), but I still can't help but imagine this game with graphics more like SSBB's.

59811520070711_230145_0_big.jpg

mario_070523a-l.jpg

59811520071010_145126_6_big.jpg

wario_071224b-l.jpg

mario-kart-wii-20080218092010035.jpg

bowser_070703d-l.jpg

59811520071010_145123_4_big.jpg

yoshi_070724a-l.jpg

w_13.jpg

donkeykong_070712b-l.jpg

59811520071010_145124_5_big.jpg

assist14_071214b-l.jpg

It can't be that much more demanding to go from Smash Bros. to Mario Kart.

Haunted

Crushed said:
NOT TO BEAT THE DEAD GRAPHICS HORSE (no offense to GraphicsHorse), but I still can't help but imagine this game with graphics more like SSBB's.

It can't be that much more demanding to go from Smash Bros. to Mario Kart.
Damn, Brawl looks amazing.

Haunted

Battersea Power Station said:
What's the draw of Baby Park? Isn't it really boring?
It's a simple, yet effective track. The emphasis lies on proper power sliding and the appropriate item handli OH SHIT THERE'S A SHELL COMING SHIT SHIT I'LL GET YOU BACK YOU SOB -- AHAHA GOTCHA SUCKER!

That's how I see it anyway. :D

Neo Child said:
Can we get Sakurai's team and EAD Tokyo to develop every Nintendo game from now on?
fixed.

Penguin

Boring?
Baby Park is like the greatest course in the history of Mario Kart.
8 people. Max items. Pure Chaos.:D

Aladuf

Banned
Wow, because of the 2 Mario Kart threads in the past day, my anticipation for it is through the roof! This game is gonna be some serious fuckin fun!

EktorPR

Thx for that quick "fix" Haunted. :D
still crying over no V-Joe, btw

Anyway, I passed on Kart DS since I was one of the few who really liked Double Dash (DK Mountain is my favorite Kart track ever). Guess I'll finally get to try my skillz online with this new iteration.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback

In Double Dash, the appeal to me was thanks to the out-and-out bedlam caused by the ridiculous weapons that'd litter the already tiny track. Proper racing went right out the window when you had 2 or 3 of Bowser's huge spiky shells spinning around the track like giant unfriendly planets. :D

Having said that, the same sort of manic fighting translated pretty well to the DS version too. I think with 4 extra players though it'll be utterly magnificent.

Neo Child said:
Can we get Sakurai and his team to develop every Nintendo game from now on?

I get the feeling that Sakurai's marvellous Smash Bros. Brawl work has influenced some of the feature-adding decisions made for Mario Kart, particularly the downloading of content and multiple controller type support.

TheGreatDave said:
It's all skill baby. That's why it's loved
That's really weird. My friends and I look at it as "almost all luck," while Yoshi's Circuit is considered "all skill." Not that I'm arguing one way or another, but it's strange how it can be viewed so differently.
SovanJedi said:
In Double Dash, the appeal to me was thanks to the out-and-out bedlam caused by the ridiculous weapons that'd litter the already tiny track. Proper racing went right out the window when you had 2 or 3 of Bowser's huge spiky shells spinning around the track like giant unfriendly planets. :D
Yeah, I guess that's how we generally feel about the track.

Crushed

Fry Daddy
Speaking of screens, Jeux-France has two screens that I haven't found on any other site. Have no idea where they got them, but whatever.

59811520080219_172021_0_big.jpg

59811520080219_172022_1_big.jpg

Insaniac

BrodiemanTTR said:
I'm just glad Nintendo is finally releasing an online game that allows you to play with strangers instead of forcing you to use friend codes.

you've apparently never played an online nintendo game.

Threi

notag
Why does it look like every texture in this game has a reflection map (or whatever the hell it's called - something shading)? Something tells me this is going to surprise a LOT of people when they see it in motion.

Top Bottom