• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart Wii Hands-on

BrodiemanTTR said:
I'm just glad Nintendo is finally releasing an online game that allows you to play with strangers instead of forcing you to use friend codes.
:lol Damn I missed that.

Ranger X said:
Why people are saying that snaking is gone? It's only that its easy to generate a powerslide boost.

You guys will still have to powerslide all the time and in the straights.
That may very well be true, depending on how long it takes to power the boost but since you don't have to push left and right like a maniac it takes away the feeling of being a chore (at least that's how I feel about snaking). I can appreciate the skill and I could do it decently but I simply didn't have fun while doing it.

test_account said:
That plastic wheel shouldnt be included in every package in my opinion. I guess alot of people will only try the wheel once or so, then they wont use it again. Mario Kart for Wii is probly going to sell millions of copies so it sux that so many of those plastic steering wheels will be produced for "nothing", most likely atleast.
You mean like the zapper? Just because you don't see it's use doesn't mean most of the people will dump it - after all there is a market for REALLY stupid Wiimote attachements. Driving with a wheel, even in dead space, feels different.

DeaconKnowledge said:
No way MK is coming out that soon after Smash.
Maybe we'll see a release in PAL first? After all we got Strikers before the US as well - and exchange between Smash and MK would make sense.

Spike

Between this and SSBB, I'll be playing alot of online multiplayer which is something I really hardly ever do.

Cannot wait.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I'm getting Mario Kart, along with Smash Bros, No More Heroes, Okami, PES, Wii Fit and House of the dead 3 in the next 3 months. Not bad for a Nintendo console at this time of the year :)

Flakster99

I need this game to come out like yesterday. The wait is going to be excruciatingly difficult to deal with as the months go by.

Crushed said:
Speaking of screens, Jeux-France has two screens that I haven't found on any other site. Have no idea where they got them, but whatever.

59811520080219_172021_0_big.jpg

59811520080219_172022_1_big.jpg

I absolutely love the graphical detail. Not to mature or grown-up looking, it retains that colorful, joyous Mario Kart aura that I've come to love.

After the slight disappointment yesterday I am happy to see my enthusiasm for the game rising. No snaking makes it even sweeter. :D

Though I do wish it would be more polished like Mario Galaxy, but there is still time for that.

The two classic cup competitions, banana and shell, were comprised of tracks from previous games. Banana featured Sherbert Land from the Nintendo 64, Shy Guy Beach from the Game Boy Advance, Delfino Square from the DS, and Waluigi Stadium from the GameCube. Shell included Peach beach from the GameCube, Yoshi Falls from the DS, the dreaded Ghost Valley from the Super Nintendo, and Mario Raceway from the Nintendo 64.

Yoshi Falls? Of all the fantastic courses in the DS version why in the world would they pick Yoshi Falls? That's one thing I'll never understand about the MK series... why must 25% of the tracks be beginner figure 8's and ovals? You only need one track like that so players can get their bearings, but then they need to step it up a notch.

Christine

BuddhaRockstar said:
Yoshi Falls? Of all the fantastic courses in the DS version why in the world would they pick Yoshi Falls? That's one thing I'll never understand about the MK series... why must 25% of the tracks be beginner figure 8's and ovals? You only need one track like that so players can get their bearings, but then they need to step it up a notch.

Yoshi Falls is a good track, though, and it's not just a bare oval - there's a pit in the middle to add risk to aggressive driving lines, and there are a couple of points where the course narrows onto bridges and such.

Colonel Nelson said:
2 player online! Sweet!

This has been forgotten by every game but Halo for too long.

That's the best bit of news imo. I wish developers would look at just how many people play like this with Halo, I mean, pretty much every social match in Halo seems to have atleast one group of people playing splitscreen. I love playing this way and find it far and away the best method of multiplayer as it takes the best parts of offline and online play.

Crushed

Fry Daddy
brain_stew said:
That's the best bit of news imo. I wish developers would look at just how many people play like this with Halo, I mean, pretty much every social match in Halo seems to have atleast one group of people playing splitscreen. I love playing this way and find it far and away the best method of multiplayer as it takes the best parts of offline and online play.
I think both Mario Strikers Charged and Brawl offer this same feature.

Ranger X

Screens are sweet but it looks like a fucking bloom festival. Why can't they make non-bloom great graphics like Mario Galaxy??

lastendconductor

Put your snobby liquids into my mouth!
So the steering wheel doesn't sit on a surface? you hold it on your hands, with no feedback? sounds like a recipe for suck :/, but well, since you can use the wiimote or the cc everything's alright I guess. Besides that, the game is shaping up to be good. I'm eager to play it.

Vard

I'm all of a sudden excited for the game now. I like what they did to curb snaking, and there's less of an emphasis on tricks than I first thought. It's about time they kept track of stats like Battle count and distance traveled. I was wishing for that to be in MKDD and then MKDS.

fusoya59

Crushed said:
Speaking of screens, Jeux-France has two screens that I haven't found on any other site. Have no idea where they got them, but whatever.

59811520080219_172021_0_big.jpg

59811520080219_172022_1_big.jpg
I like how the map is nice and small.

Other than that, sounds great!

Wizpig

mariokartwiinin37093xo0.jpg

Nice - recycled from Mario Kart DS - Wario artwork on the "Wario Gold Mine" sign. -_-
What's this game's budget, 2 $?

Phife Dawg said:
Maybe we'll see a release in PAL first? After all we got Strikers before the US as well - and exchange between Smash and MK would make sense.

Well we got Double Dash first and Mario Kart seems to have a bigger draw in Europe than Smash. So yeah, I can see this happening. God knows when we'll get Smash though.

Akai

Wizpig said:
Nice - recycled from Mario Kart DS - Wario artwork on the "Wario Gold Mine" sign. -_-
What's this game's budget, 2 $?

I'm sure the first thing on the team's list was "Don't forget to create all-new artwork for a sign that may pop up once, maybe twice in this one stage!"...

beelzebozo said:
have the battle modes been discussed at all?

It seems they havent, i just hope they put all four battle mode arenas from the snes version plus the cake one from double dash, that would be excellent, because in all of those arenas you can always see your opponents visually, not only with the map and thats excellent for using the green shells and banana based weapons...

brain_stew said:
Well we got Double Dash first and Mario Kart seems to have a bigger draw in Europe than Smash. So yeah, I can see this happening. God knows when we'll get Smash though.
Well I'm not holding my breath for it - summer the earliest is my guess and depending on the 08 schedule (AC, whatever else they have cooking) it might even slip to fall. Who knows with those NoE guys.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Wow the removal of snaking is the first positive step this game has taken since announced.

Now if only Nintendo had the creative fortitude to make item and track design focused around skillful play. SNES Kart is the only one that had it!

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Bluemercury said:
It seems they havent, i just hope they put all four battle mode arenas from the snes version plus the cake one from double dash, that would be excellent, because in all of those arenas you can always see your opponents visually, not only with the map and thats excellent for using the green shells and banana based weapons...

bobomb blast is my chief concern

Milabrega

Have the following been answered somewhere:

-Are we back to one item per Kart? (Seems so)
-Anything on Battle mode or new types of modes?
-Are character specific items in? (Unbalanced in DD)

daemonic

Banned
hm I was hoping for a bigger graphical leap and more tracks in this one. Wish they would have released it at the end of the year rather than so close to Brawl. Still looks alright though.

Top Bottom