• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Mario Kart XXL' - GBA tech demo discovered

The video description says it was made by "Similis for Nintendo" not finding a whole lot of information on them online, other than they supposedly made some Extreme G prototype.

Ulthwe

tumblr_nf6abec8JR1r6trtgo1_400.gif

first thing I noticed!

This was the first thing I noticed.

The game looks slow and dull.

I knew I already saw that arrow somewhere, thanks for reminding me.
Good job, GAF never fails me.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
I can't believe so few people have mentioned that intolerable background noise. Makes the video unwatchable :/

what saddens me with this video is that Nintendo will never make another console like gamecube. don't care about the sales Nintendo I just want one more gamecube like experience.

The gamecube had the power to compete but it was missing DVD and a proper controller.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
That looks really bad honestly.

Not that it matters, Mario Kart didn't become a really good series until Double Dash anyways.

Video description says it's 2 mode seven layers, which makes sense because the backgrounds look flat. The GBA was capable of real 3D, but the polygons jittered like crazy. It made you appreciate the PS1.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1HEvabW3IA

The GBA has no 3D hardware in it at all, so technically it doesn't have 3D capabilities at all, at least not any more than the NES or SNES or Genesis does.

However, for all the GBA's weaknesses, its processor is actually really good. Even with the absence of 3D hardware, it's fast enough so that a programmer can use it to draw 3D polygons in software (i.e. using the processor).

Whether or not the 3D polygons jittered pretty much depended solely on the programmer, and in many cases, the programmer would make sacrifices in order to be able to draw more polygons. So basically, it's the programmer's choice to let the jitter happen, not a hardware limitation.

Do you guys know who denaris entertainment is?

MANFRED TRENZ WAS MAKING A MARIO KART?????

TURRICAN Manfred trenz? Holy fucking shit

Demo scene coding god manfred trenz?

WOOOOOW

Oh wow! Holy fucking shit! That blew my mind that Manfred Trenz was making a Mario Kart game for GBA 11 years ago that never got released and only got to the point that it had one track and no opponents! I literally don't know how I'm going to sleep tonight now that I have this information!

I can't believe so few people have mentioned that intolerable background noise. Makes the video unwatchable :/

Perhaps they turned the volume down and then found that the video was entirely watchable, then didn't feel the need to bitch about it because it wasn't that important? Just a thought.

Colombo

While it's amazing for a tech demo of 3D on the GBA, it's just that. Mario Kart needs to control great, have a good sense of speed and able to handle 8 racers on screen! It's this balancing act that Nintendo gets right and the reason why most 3rd part Kart clones end up being poor!

Zubz

Banned
I like the effect of the solar panels, but something about this makes me think it would've just been a slower Super Circuit.

Nightbird

I remember when I played Kingdom Hearts Chain of Memories on the GPA as a Kid. The final Cutscenes was pre-rendered 3D,but I seriously thought the Console was capable of such Graphics.

Springy

Oh wow! Holy fucking shit! That blew my mind that Manfred Trenz was making a Mario Kart game for GBA 11 years ago that never got released and only got to the point that it had one track and no opponents! I literally don't know how I'm going to sleep tonight now that I have this information!
This is the most embarrassingly adolescent, obnoxious thing I've read on this board for some time. Cut it out.

Interesting curiosity. Video looks like it was recorded years ago; I wonder why it was uploaded now.

Lol at people saying it feels better or more fun than Super Circuit.

The controls here feel stiff, the camera is horrible, the game is slow as hell, etc...
Even if super circuit wasnt 3d it controled like nearly every mario kart. It was a really competent Mario Kart and really hard on 150CC

There are better 3d games in the GBA. I understand why this game was scrapped.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Hey, this brings to mind...

Why was there no handheld-to-TV addon for the Wii/DS or WiiU/3DS like with the SNES/GB(C) and GameCube/GBA adaptors before them?
Think about the input method and displays for the DS, and think about the input method and displays for the Wii. The Wii remote's motion sensing would be a very crude approximation of touch screen controls, and then you've got a controller that doesn't have similar inputs. You could use the Classic Controller to circumvent that issue, but then you've got no touch screen approximation at all. And you want two screens stacked on top of each other in SD resolution?

The Wii U, of course, can approximate the DS/3DS inputs much better, but you've got the problem of a detached screen rather than two that sit equidistant. There's a fair amount of games that have elements that interplay between the two screens, having them not line up right next to each other kind of ruins the effect.

Golnei

I was honestly expecting the Mario equivalent of Sonic Dreams Collection. I'm not sure whether the truth is a relief or a disappointment.

Chunky

Perhaps they turned the volume down and then found that the video was entirely watchable, then didn't feel the need to bitch about it because it wasn't that important? Just a thought.

Don't bitch about someone bitching about something unimportant, when in literally the same post you're bitching about something entirely unimportant. Bitch.

Top Bottom