• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario & Luigi RPG (3DS) Announced!

zeitgeist

After this announcement I think it is time for me to snag a 3ds finally.
I love that it kind of looks SMRPG-ish. I would cry if Geno or Mallow got a cameo.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
GameXplain just posted their video analysis. I don't know how they notice some of that stuff, but the way dreams seem to work sound awesome. I love that the real-world seems to affect the dream world.

http://youtu.be/Pn3-zY78aPs
That was hilariously thorough, much appreciated.

After this announcement I think it is time for me to snag a 3ds finally.
I love that it kind of looks SMRPG-ish. I would cry if Geno or Mallow got a cameo.

Although I really like the look of Dream Team, I'm not yet seeing the comparison to Super Mario RPG. And I played the shit out of that game as a kid.

smrpgbattle.jpg

vs.

Dream Team looks distinctively Alpha Dream, as is appropriate. It's Mario-esque, but not so stereotypically so like NSMB2, which I prefer.

Not that I would complain about a Geno/Malo appearance, assuming Square-Enix doesn't mind relinquishing the license. Honestly, I don't know why they don't just sell the characters to Nintendo - it's not like they use them for anything.

Although this topic reminds me of how unique SMRPG was in its...atmosphere, I suppose. I doubt we'll ever see any Mario game like it again.

Doorman

The thing in the GameXplain trailer that I never thought to look at but I'm glad they brought up is the way that the real-world environment affects the layout of Luigi's dreams. Really intriguing, and it looks like they're probably about right that it functions a bit similarly to the time holes in PiT.

The only thing that saddens me is that it looks like the Bros attacks will probably still be based more around them using different items to attack. I still miss the old days of Superstar Saga when the Bros attacks were just creative combinations of their normal moves. The ability to "Advance!" the bros attacks is probably the thing I most miss from that game.

The only thing that saddens me is that it looks like the Bros attacks will probably still be based more around them using different items to attack. I still miss the old days of Superstar Saga when the Bros attacks were just creative combinations of their normal moves. The ability to "Advance!" the bros attacks is probably the thing I most miss from that game.

Agreed, it's not a big deal, bu I really liked those unique combos. I never did get the hang of swing bro...

eternalb

The thing in the GameXplain trailer that I never thought to look at but I'm glad they brought up is the way that the real-world environment affects the layout of Luigi's dreams. Really intriguing, and it looks like they're probably about right that it functions a bit similarly to the time holes in PiT.

Yeah, there's so much potential there, it's nuts. I can't wait to see what they do with it

Wonder if Sticker Star was nerfed because they want Dream Team to be the RPG out of the two and thought two Mario RPGs in 6-odd months wouldn't have been good?

Maybe we'll see another PM on 3DS as we got 2 M&L games on DS, and this time it will be a real PM game.

Also worth noting that the co-director and scenario of SS was Taro Kudo from Vanpool (thus they share the credit but it's obviously an unwritten one), so that might've played a huge role in the shift, hell I think it's more like a Vanpool game than an IntSys game if it was directed by Vanpool, they also did Dillon.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
this is probably the game I'm most excited for at the moment. The wait is going to be extremely harsh

nordique

Very much looking forward to this.

I won't be able to pick up a 3DS for some time yet, but when I do get around to getting one again, this should be out.

I can't wait. Mario & Luigi is my absolute favourite RPG series. Its so damn good.

Whatever this thing is, it appears on those wind spinners as well.

gxAHEho.png

ndauZGU.png

Probably doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of things.

Or they just look coincidentally similar to each other.

TreIII

The only thing I really miss is the "Advance" option, which could easily be implemented now if they ever gave us an option to man-up and take away button prompts and/or made the timing much more precise.

Anyway, someone bought it up on GameFAQs, and I couldn't believe it. This year does mark the 10th anniversary of the M&L franchise itself. Good that we'll get to celebrate it with a new game!

Katzii

The more I look at this game, the more I love how they've made the leap from 2D to 3D.

I absolutely loved the first game, didn't like the second (and sold it accordingly). I didn't progress much in the third game but with the announcement of this comes the incentive to finally beat it; it's next on my list after Kid Icarus: Uprising.

(Hoping also that with the hype will come a VC release of the original. One can dream, right?)

eternalb

The more I look at this game, the more I love how they've made the leap from 2D to 3D.

I absolutely loved the first game, didn't like the second (and sold it accordingly). I didn't progress much in the third game but with the announcement of this comes the incentive to finally beat it; it's next on my list after Kid Icarus: Uprising.

(Hoping also that with the hype will come a VC release of the original. One can dream, right?)

The third one's really good; I recommend finishing it. PiT was god awful though; I barely made it a third in before bailing. The first is still the best though, with its less linear design.

Preble

Since this one's gonna have a little more Luigi focus, I hope they decide to include Daisy and Waluigi in the game.

I alway wondered why Nintendo was so reluctant to have characters like Wario Daisy and Waluigi appear in the RPG games.

eternalb

I alway wondered why Nintendo was so reluctant to have characters like Wario Daisy and Waluigi appear in the RPG games.

Well, "HI I'M DAISY" is terrible. But Wario and Waluigi could make for a fun inclusion. I think they also deserve their own spinoff game.

Top Bottom