• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Tennis Ultra Smash (WiiU)

Arkeband

Banned
057.png

WALUIGI'S TIME TO SHINE

Memles

From Nintendo's E3 site...how is there no mention of online multiplayer?

Compete with friends in the multiplayer Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash game on the Wii U system. Along with the fun and dynamic gameplay known to the franchise, surprise your opponents with a new move to the series, the Jumpshot, which sends the ball flying down the court. Change the sport up with new Mega Battles, using the Mega Mushroom to gain an advantage over the competition. Claim your spot in Mario Tennis lore in singles (1v1) or doubles (2v2) as you play with and against family, friends or the CPU using returning and new characters to the series.
Features:

Compete with friends in the multiplayer Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash game on the Wii U system.
Play against friends and family in multiplayer matches.
Play against friends and family in both singles (1v1) and doubles (2v2) matches as your favorite Mushroom Kingdom character.
Control your character’s every movement on the court, using precise timing and the correct shot to outwit your opponent.
Use the new Jumpshot technique to return shots like never before.
In Mega Battles, get the Mega Mushroom to gain a “big” advantage over your competition.
New characters make their Mario Tennis debut.

deleted

I'm not a fan of the giant mushroom - it's probably the worst item in recent Nintendo games and it's getting way too much attention.

Other than that - it looks nice. Would have preferred a new Mario Soccer though.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
Maybe the best thing in the Direct. Weirdly glossed over considering it's supposed to be coming out this year to pad out the holiday release schedule.

I don't like it when Nintendo doesn't confirm or deny online in these types of games right out the gate.

There's no need. The 3DS game had online. The WiiU game is guaranteed to have it. Nintendo just doesn't really care for it, understandably. They've explained why in the past.

Madao

i hope the game has an appropriate price like Kirby and Captain Toad.

no way this sells at $60. $40 is the most it should cost (unless it has a lot of extras but going by the 3DS version, that's unlikely)

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
The online had better not be region IP-locked like the 3DS game.

Kazerei

Banned
Aww yeah, I loved Mario Tennis Open, I never understood why it got so much flak. The base gameplay was solid and the new Chance Shot mechanic helped make things even livelier. Feels great when you get a Chance pop up. It also feels great when the opponent gets a string of Chances against you but you keep recovering.

Previous games were honestly a bit of a drag for me, because I'd keep getting in to long rallies with the CPU. The Chance Shot mechanic prevents things from getting dull.

oakenhild

Aww yeah, I loved Mario Tennis Open, I never understood why it got so much flak.

I think it was because there wasn't much in the game, notably missing the RPG elements I like in the nintendo sports games. I've been passing on it because of this.

_SAKY_

Seems like Mario Power Tennis (GC) will remain the undisputed king of the series. :\ Way to phone it in Nintendo.

hatchx

Banned
I like the 2-player gamepad support, although this game needs some sort of online and decent single player mode.

EulaCapra

I'm not feeling optimistic. What they showed looked bare as bones for a game coming out within the next 6 months. And Mario Tennis Open felt pretty rushed as is.

Seems like Mario Power Tennis (GC) will remain the undisputed king of the series. :\ Way to phone it in Nintendo.

Well it's the same as Golf. Toadstool Tour is the definitive Golf game even after World Tour. No big deal, GameCube games will stay playable forever.

i hope the game has an appropriate price like Kirby and Captain Toad.

no way this sells at $60. $40 is the most it should cost (unless it has a lot of extras but going by the 3DS version, that's unlikely)

Nintendo seems to price games based on brands.

So expect $60 because Mario is in the title.

Top Bottom