• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Tennis Ultra Smash (WiiU)

I was hoping for Strikers, but I love the main tennis games. I will have to see if it's actually a step up from the 3DS one , since I didn't like that one. So on my maybe list as of now.

not the circles on the ground again

dammit Nintendo
I like the circles when playing against other human beings. It leads to fakeouts and stuff like that.

They should add in the option to turn them off, though, along with the items. Options are nice.

Exile20

Is the chance shot thing from the 3ds version back? If so then no sale for me.

I want to play tennis not follow the spot around the court.

no online confirmation?
The 3DS one has online despite the devs seeming to have some obsession with Mii costumes. So as long as Camelot is behind this I'm confident it will have online.

If they did even a moderate amount of research the main complaints people had with online - balance, gyro, lack of options overall, and no penalty for DCing - should be pretty obvious so I'm hoping they fix those things.

AKC12

Mario Tennis Open's gameplay is the best in the series, so I'm glad they brought back the chance shot mechanic. Adds quite a bit more depth to the game and forces players to think about their shot selection (hint hint, it isn't always a good idea to use the same shot as the chance spot indicates).

Hopefully they decide to add in a robust single player mode for consoles for once, but I'll play this game for a while if the online is lagless most of the time.

Dizzy

Banned
Looks great. I can only play the Wii one on my Wii U, and I don't really like the motion controls so it's nice that I won't have to dig out an old console again for some Mario Tennis.

I'm glad they went with this and not Golf first.

Zalman

I'm a big fan of Mario Power Tennis, so I'll keep an eye on this. I hope it has an intro similar to the games they made on GameCube.

NoKisum

I guess this is why we don't have a new Golden Sun yet...

Hope Camelot does a great job at making this one.

Roo

All the screenshots available plus placeholder boxart

mvqp15A.jpg

Kr4DoPM.jpg

nCFfYty.jpg

LgEwwGz.jpg

PIhZFzE.jpg

Ei3acVU.jpg

Y5ejE55.jpg

8v6XXkJ.jpg

0F74IGD.jpg

QsCG5nK.jpg

I have to say I'm impressed by how good it looks.
It definitely seems to be using the same engine as Mario Kart 8
Hopefully this game has a good roster unlike others..

Well it's certainly nice to see a Camelot-developed home console Mario sports title again. And that is definitely the Kart 8 engine at work. Looks lovely.

Sad that this was the most major new Wii U game (SF wasn't new per se), however, YES!!!

Can you believe we finally have a new Camelot Mario sport game for the first time since 2004 with Power Tennis on GC? Yeah we had We Love Golf, but it felt off if I'm honest.

Hope Diddy's still in, and K. Rool is a newcomer.

All the screenshots available plus placeholder boxart

I have to say I'm impressed by how good it looks.
It definitely seems to be using the same engine as Mario Kart 8
Hopefully this game has a good roster unlike others..

Beautiful! Hope there's anti-aliasing this time.

jts

...hate me...
I honestly don't think it looks that good. Characters seem relatively low-poly. Aliasing checks in.

Mario Tennis Open with a Wii U makeup.

Rodin

Ok i liked this but showing it during a better event would've hyped people more about it, now i'm afraid it will go mostly unnoticed. Hopefully they'll do it justice during the Treehouse.

Falchion

This is a Wii U seller for me. Mario Tennis on 64 was one of my most played games and is one of the best party games out there because it’s so easy to learn.

Enforced

Looks good. I think the last mario tennis game I played was in the gamecube. I'm waiting for rosalina screenshot.

Revven

Three things I'm hoping for:

1) You can turn off the mega mushrooms/other items (if there are any others) like you could turn off the Power Smashes in Power Tennis
2) You can turn off the circles (except the star ones that allow you to spike them like in previous games) -- again, similar to the above.
3) No Miis (seriously the customized Miis killed Open Tennis' online multiplayer).

Hopefully Camelot learned from Open Tennis but I'm... not expecting it...

muteant

Played it in the floor. graphically it's very easy on the eyes and it controls well. Hope there's depth to the gameplay modes.

Top Bottom