• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario vs. Pokemon - Which is the bigger game IP

spekkeh

Banned
In the 20-30 age bracket that I fit in, Pokemon seems at least 20 times bigger than Mario.

Back when I was in university, it felt like the whole school was playing Pokemon X/Y. It was a similar story this year with Go and Sun/Moon being played by everybody I know.

Across all ages it's probably closer. But the Mickey comparison is very telling. Nobody actually cares about Mickey, whereas Pokemon fans are incredibly invested. You'll never see crowds of people out playing Mario Run at 1 am in the cold (hypothetically, if there was a reason to do that). Nobody would line up for a midnight launch of a Mario game. Sun/Moon had the biggest midnight launch I've ever seen.

People don't go crazy for Mario.
I go crazy and would line up for Metroid though, that doesn't necessarily make it a stronger IP. Of course Pokemon is a lot bigger than Metroid, but still, you could conversely also see it as a measure of how much it speaks to the core gamer (and eo ipso how much it alienates the casual gamer). A fifty year old casual will not buy a Pokemon game, but may buy a Mario game. Hence why Pokémon GO was right to go F2P, and only Mario had a shot at F2S.

ffvorax

I'm actually more interested and excited about a new pokemon game, and one of the very few reasons (phoenix wright too) I still buy Nintendo consoles, but I recognize Mario more like an Icon and also much more popular. But I never bought a N console for Mario, I don't even own all main Mario games on N console I own...
Pickachu is what most people identifies with all the pokemon franchise.

So from my point of view Pk is a more videogame selling IP, but probably Mario at least in vg is bigger, pk in all else (marketing stuff)

Top Bottom