• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mark Cerny on The Verge (GPU, elite controller, etc)

LordOfChaos

I know there was a thread on his Eurogamer interview, but there's a few additional details on this one, like why there's no PS4 Elite controller

http://www.theverge.com/2016/10/20/13350476/sony-ps4-pro-mark-cerny-4k-games-psvr-graphics

There won’t be a PS4 Pro Elite controller
Despite its new console seemingly targeting the serious gamer, Cerny made the point that Sony is not interested in selling an expensive gamepad like the Xbox One Elite controller. "We want to keep PlayStation 4 as a single unified audience," he said. "We need to be quite careful to the enhancements we add to the controller. But it’s not the sort of thing that’s going to create have’s and have nots." The new Dualshock 4 controller, bundled with both the PS4 Slim and the Pro, is just a slightly different model with an extended light bar.

(doesn't make sense to me, as the PS4 Pro already splits the PS4 audience, already moving towards the philosophy of the Elite controller...And PSVR, and that licensed keyboard controller...)

The PS4 Pro is 2.28 times more powerful than its predecessor, but not everything will run in native 4K
Instead of using an entirely new GPU, Cerny said the PS4 Pro is using a "double-sized one." In effect, the new console has a second, identical GPU configured next to the original, with a 14 percent boost in frequency to 911MHz, which more than doubles the processing power of the Pro. While the standard PS4 produces 1.8 teraflops, the PS4 Pro achieves 4.2 teraflops. The console uses the same eight Jaguar CPU cores, but clocked at a higher speed. It also makes use of its system memory in a more efficient fashion, using a higher bandwidth on the 8GB of GDDR5 memory to squeeze out an additional 512MB for game developers to make use of. An additional 1GB of convention DRAM was put in the Pro to help it switch applications, so software like Netflix will be stored on the DRAM when open but not in use.

It's probably too late to edit this in, but saying the GPU sits next to a mirror of itself was obviously meant to be a dumbed down way of saying it doubled the CUs, which all the very accurate rumors already knew. NOT, that this is some dual GPU system.

Nor is the GPU butterfly shaped.

Femto.

CLcAaEe.png

No elite controller, fucking boo.

Kyoufu

They're OK with offering a premium console for enthusiasts but not OK with doing the same with controllers?

Makes zero sense.

Rellik

Looks like I need to look into those adapters so I can use my Elite on the PS4 then because that reason is bullshit when you have people using mouse and keyboard on the PS4 and the DS4 is horrible in comparison

JP

I think the closest that we'll get to an Elite controller is that new licence control that was announced earlier today.

TriAceJP

The only logical thing I can stem from that statement is that they don't want to offer something that gives an online advantage.

But if they are endorsing that mouse/keyboard peripheral, that point is moot.

Nikodemos

An additional 1GB of convention DRAM was put in the Pro to help it switch applications, so software like Netflix will be stored on the DRAM when open but not in use.
Interesting. I remember some developers claiming that the companion CPU on the original PS4 could not be used to its maximum potential due to having too little RAM.

Jumeira

Banned
Not a good reply regarding controller, the reason is not only lazy, its contradictory next to the range of initiatives that currently splits the audience.

I get the impression he had no say and has to put on a brave face.

Sony needs to learn how to make a decent standard controller first. one that doesn't have faulty triggers, sticks that wear down after a few months or a battery that lasts longer than 4 hours.

The Verge

For the more than 700 or so existing PS4 games, Cerny said the goal was to ensure those titles played smoothly no matter what. That’s why the Pro incorporates an identical GPU. Because the new console has "the old GPU next to a mirror version of itself," Sony can support existing games with a simple trick: "We just turn off the second GPU," he said. Developers can patch these titles to boost graphics and performance in very subtle ways. But unless you have a 4K television, the difference will not be substantial.

EuroGamer

"First, we doubled the GPU size by essentially placing it next to a mirrored version of itself, sort of like the wings of a butterfly. That gives us an extremely clean way to support the existing 700 titles," Cerny explains, detailing how the Pro switches into its 'base' compatibility mode. "We just turn off half the GPU and run it at something quite close to the original GPU."

OMFG!

onQ123 is a visionary! He said something along these lines.

I'm not talking about 2 main GPUs I'm talking about the APU that's being used for the PS4 base mode + the new GPU.

APU as the CPU + the GPU

ViciousDS

Banned
They already made enhancements to the new controller by adding a USB mode.....it is basically for reduced latency, reduced interference and competition

Can't wait for my new dual GPU console wth the revolutionary ability to turn off one of its GPUs to play games with the same performance that my current console does.

Still getting it.

Sorral

They need to release a higher build quality DS4 and with bigger battery. I don't really care for an elite controller at this point, so I rather have something that will actually last like the DS3 did with me.

Contradictory talk though.

HardRojo

I don't get the "no splitting userbase" argument, they're already offering a better console within the same generation lol, there's also PSVR so I don't see why an improved controller would do more "harm" in this regard. Had they not designed Pro, I'd probably buy this excuse.

It's advertised on their own site directly to their user base.

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/explore/accessories/tac-pro-for-playstation-4/

So is the PS4 Universal Media remote that is made by PDP.

Again not made by Sony not something that could be considered a split.

(doesn't make sense to me, as the PS4 Pro already splits the PS4 audience, already moving towards the philosophy of the Elite controller...And PSVR, and that licensed keyboard controller...)

The new controller is the standard. It replaces the current controller. What they are most likely getting at is that they do not feel a need for an "elite" controller. The PS4pro isn't intended to split the audience hence the fact that no games are exclusive to it. PSVR is not a "split" of the base, it is an additional peripheral that users can either purchase or not. Depending on how the keyboard is recognized and what games support it, that also may not be considered a split. Again the existence of these hardware doesn't just magically split the install base. Quite literally everything they release works with the base PS4, which means they are infact not splitting the installed base by offering these items.

That's unfortunate. The Elite Controller is my favorite thing about this current generation- seems like they are making an error here in not taking part with their own version.

Pretty weak reasoning. They could at least make one with a higher build quality; it doesn't even need the paddles and all of that extra stuff.

Oersted

So is the PS4 Universal Media remote that is made by PDP.

Again not made by Sony not something that could be considered a split.

The new controller is the standard. It replaces the current controller. What they are most likely getting at is that they do not feel a need for an "elite" controller. The PS4pro isn't intended to split the audience hence the fact that no games are exclusive to it. PSVR is not a "split" of the base, it is an additional peripheral that users can either purchase or not. Depending on how the keyboard is recognized and what games support it, that also may not be considered a split. Again the existence of these hardware doesn't just magically split the install base. Quite literally everything the release works with the base PS4, which means they are infact not splitting the installed base by offering these items.

The better controller will get used by pro gamers. It will split, thats the point of dedicated controllers.

Falchion

His quote on the controller is stupid, they're just trying to justify not wanting to innovate or improve on the horrible battery life.

Top Bottom