• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mark Cerny on The Verge (GPU, elite controller, etc)

The better controller will get used by pro gamers. It will split, thats the point of dedicated controllers.

A split implies people getting something that some PS4 owners will not be able to get. Think of this like how some companies handle DLC. A split comes in with some people being locked out from playing with people who do have the content.

I will state this as concise as possible because this seems missed despite you quoting my post.

The new controller is the standard. It replaces the current controller. What they are most likely getting at is that they do not feel a need for an "elite" controller.

There are minor differences apparently between the controllers and going forward the new controllers are standard. This is more of a minor revision than a so called "elite" controller. Sony may allow the license for another company to do so, but it doesn't seem as if they feel the need to do so themselves.

biteren

There are plenty of alternative controllers out there. Have you thought about getting any of those?

ive been considering this:

297754_440x350.jpg

it supposed to add paddles on PS4 without modding

GoaThief

As has been said, it's an invalid reason and reflects poorly on Sony especially after forcing this divide with a new console (with over twice the power) no less.

Can't say I'm sold on the PS4 Pro as it stands as it seems many games will see little to no benefit.

GoaThief

For multiplayer games it makes sense - same gamepad, same performance.

Different consoles, potentially twice the frame rate and/or resolution but hey... No paddles or extended battery life for that guy with an official controller (they are welcome to buy a third party one though, or a PS4 mouse and keyboard from our very website).

It doesn't make sense at all.

Patapwn

Their reason for no elite controller is contradictory to the Pro and just plain stupid. Its obviously not the real reason but im struggling to see whats really the issue... Is Sony at full capacity with RnD on the pro, VR and slim that an upgraded controller is just too much right now? Maybe theres too many PS related releases this quarter for them so they're saving it for later... Thats all i can think of unless the Elite has secretly been a huge failure for MS and Sony found out, although I was under the impression that its been a bigly success for them

Duxxy3

Why? It's the best controller ever.

Triggers are god awful. Unusable in driving games. Straight up bad in shooters. Awkward to use them because of the shape of the controller. Would have been better off sticking to four shoulder buttons. Have to map aim/fire to the shoulder buttons whenever I play any shooters. I could go on and on about how much I hate Sony's effort to make triggers on any of their controllers.

The shape of the analog sticks is a downgrade from convex and concave analogs. Can never get a good grip. Wears to easily. I'd rather they had stuck with the convex analogs that the dualshock 3 had.

Battery lasts a fraction of what my XB1 controller+eneloops lasts. Even the Dualshock 3 lasted longer.

Touchpad is pointless. It's just a large select button for most games.

Useless light on the top of the controller. Ok, that's nitpicking but I don't see the point in my case.

meerak

Yeah, I still don't care about an elite ps4 controller... It's a big whatever to me. I'm sure it sucks for those who would like one, but it's not like this decision is written in stone. Be patient and keep talking about a DS4 elite and who knows what may come.

Interesting remarks about the pro. So, it's two PS4s duct taped together? :p sorry I didn't understand, but read a lot of "two"s.

EagleEyes

Why? It's the best controller ever.
Far from it. I have used a lot of controllers in my time and the elite controller by far the most versatile and best feeling controller ever made. If you are a multi plat gamer its hard going from that to the DS4. I've just gotten used to premium feeling sticks, nice rubberized grips, trigger locks and paddles on the back.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
In effect, the new console has a second, identical GPU configured next to the original

Paging onQ132.

My god I cant wait for the responses.

Alot of it goes over my head, not gonna lie, but it has been literal get your popcorn ready reading.

Paging onQ132....

viHuGi

Banned
if you want a Pro controller, get SCUF, they are very expensive but are as good as any Pro Controller out there if not better, you can even choose the analogs you want or the triggers position.

hwy_61

Banned
yeah, what he said about not doing an elite style controller was dumb as hell, but what else is the guy gonna say?

If sony put the kibosh to a pro/elite controller, then his hands are kinda tied with the media, no? he can't throw his employer under the bus.

farisr

While I find the DS4 to be perfectly fine and would not buy an elite version even if it was available, that supposed reasoning for not making an elite variant is pretty bad.

Not "we feel that it doesn't provide value for our customers" bad, but still bad nonetheless.

Renekton

So PS4Pro DOES have dedicated additional HW specific to checkerboard rendering. I remember some GAFers disputed this.

jaypah

So no multiplayer games will have better resolution/framerate on the Pro? I can understand not wanting to split the user base at a gameplay level but damn.

Andodalf

Banned
They didn't know that it would be double rate FP16 that would = 8.4TF FP16 & they didn't know it would be PS4 APU+ 2nd GPU

by double GPU you just mean 2x the cores, which everyone knew. It's not two distinct GPUs like everyone thought you meant. And 4.2 FP32 is 8.4 FP16. no one ever debates that. the question is if it's useable and beneficial for games, which is still undecided. This interview suggests some uses for it, which is very interesting, we have to wait and see if any games actually use it.

Specifically to your second point, that's very unlikely to be the layout. I'd be shocked if it was a full APU with an extra GPU sitting to the side, and Cerny's own butterfly comments seem to refute that. more likely for it to be double inside a new APU layout, with new improvements and hardware accelerators by the sound of it.

Second EDIT: the more i read the smarter their use of FP16 is, not simply making use of the speed, but the size of operations.

I don't know which is better,and gives better results: having a whole GPU with double the CUs with higher frequency or having two of the same GPU at higher frequency.

I think Sony did this to assure gamers that the non patched PS4 games work in the same way as on the original PS4 without unwanted fluctuations (hence the downclocked speed when playing non patched games).

This is similar to what Sony did with the launch 60 GB PS3 model to which they integrated the PS2 Emotion Engine to ensure efficient retrocompatibility since emulation wasn't that great at that time.

onQ123

by double GPU you just mean 2x the cores, which everyone knew. It's not two distinct GPUs like everyone thought you meant. And 4.2 FP32 is 8.4 FP16. no one ever debates that. the question is if it's useable and beneficial for games, which is still undecided. This interview suggests some uses for it, which is very interesting, we have to wait and see if any games actually use it.

People did not know that PS4 Pro was going to be 8.4TF FP16 & they did not know that it would be the PS4 APU + a new GPU

Mark Cerny said:

I don't think this console is going to brute force it's way to 4K I think it's going to be by smart design & the main GPU will still be the same while there is hardware for pushing it to render at 4K.

my thought is that it will be a smaller GPU that's made for 4K rendering & maybe use half precision floating point & other things for higher performance while not being as big & power hungry as the main GPU.

RvCJvlO.jpg

onQ123

I don't know which is better,and gives better results: having a whole GPU with double the CUs with higher frequency or having two of the same GPU at higher frequency.

I think Sony did this to assure gamers that the non patched PS4 games work in the same way as on the original PS4 without unwanted fluctuations (hence the downclocked speed when playing non patched games).

This is similar to what Sony did with the launch 60 GB PS3 model to which they integrated the PS2 Emotion Engine to ensure efficient retrocompatibility since emulation wasn't that great at that time.

Parallel rendering

Because it's parallel rendering

Parallel rendering methods[edit]

AFR belongs to a class of parallel rendering methods, which subdivide a four-dimensional image frame sequence (x,y,z and time) into smaller regions, each of which is then assigned to a different physical processor within a multi-processor array. Note that the regional boundaries may be defined in space or in time. Also, the multiple processors can be implemented within a single video card or separate video graphics cards can be combined, subject to the motherboard and I/O slot limitations. When separate video cards are used, they must be specifically designed to allow a "cross-link" between them.
If a computer has two video cards that combine their outputs into a single video monitor, then one of four methods could be used to create the images.

Alternate Frame Rendering (AFR): One graphics processing unit (GPU) computes all the odd video frames, the other renders the even frames. (i.e. time division)

Split Frame Rendering (SFR): One GPU renders the top half of each video frame, the other does the bottom. (i.e. plane division)

Checker board: As the name implies, the image is split into smaller squares, which are assigned to different cards

Scan-Line Interleave: The origin of the SLI trademark, as employed by the 3dfx Voodoo2, which renders a frame's even scan-lines on the first GPU and its odd scan-lines on the second. The SLI trademark passed to Nvidia upon its acquisition of 3dfx in 2000 and now stands for Scalable Link Interface.

Parallel rendering

I know this is a case of parallel rendering but like AFR, it creates some kind of input lag and delayed pictures with multiple GPUs, that is why with DX12, it is going back to SFR since the GPUs are fast enough these days which allow for stacking up memory from all those GPUs.and rendering a single frame in faster times. (but I don't think the two PS4 PRO GPUs have their own split VRAM in order to need a method for additionning them, they have shared meory from the start)

This is why parallel rendering is worrying me.

Fox Mulder

I love the elite controller. I buy all my racing games on the xb1 now, and can't see myself playing them on the dualshock with those triggers anymore.

Hmm...all this talk about the Xbox Elite Controller is tempting me to buy one. Wish I could at least try it somewhere though instead of spending 150 dollars for something like that.

Speaking of which, anyone remember this thing?
ps4-elite-wireless-controller8_0.jpg

Tripolygon

Banned
Lmao, they don't want to create haves and have-nots.
*launches PS4 Pro*
Umm lmao?

PS4 Pro costs the same affordable price as a regular PS4 at launch, for twice the performance.

Elite or Pro controller which is a luxury item costs about $150 compared to $50 for standard controller.

Edit: Just to be clear, I don't buy that haves/nots reason. The likelier reason is that they don't see it as a viable strategy in their product lineup.

Top Bottom