• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mark Hamill defends the Star Wars prequels, angry with about how Jake Lloyd was treat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Linkura

The prequels themselves are absolute shit and deserve all the hate they get as films. However, any bullying of the actors, especially a child, is completely abhorrent. Even if they were the reason the movies sucked, and they absolutely were not.

Giolon

There is no defense for the people that treated Jake Lloyd the way they did. I was heartbroken when I saw the news story about him ending up in a psychiatric facility. I keep waiting for the news story that says he's gotten better and gotten out.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
I really don't think the reason Lloyd was bullied in school was because of perceived bad acting guys. No other 8 year olds were bullying him because he 'ruined Star Wars.'

He even said in interviews the way he was bullied was by for example when he walked into a room people would make lightsaber noises. It was his association with such a massive franchise everyone knew about, an insanely high profile role for a kid and he received no protection related to that. Even if Lucas had written an Oscar-quality role for him it would've been the same - he needed to be protected outside the set and they didn't do that.

Toparaman

Banned
Neckbeards hating on a kid makes me cringe. I guess at the time they just couldn't accept that their beloved god George Lucas was the real reason Phantom Menace sucked.

That's shitty. Good for Mark, he's a hero to me.

As much as I love Star Wars, I kind of dislike the fandom.

Honestly whenever I see a lot of hate for the prequels on the internet, even on gaf, I can easily see the hate escalating into harassing actors. Even child actors.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Neckbeards hating on a kid makes me cringe. I guess at the time they just couldn't accept that their beloved god George Lucas was the real reason Phantom Menace sucked.

Nah, it's the ones with a virulent hatred of Lucas that bashed Lloyd.

messiaen

Terribly written character and the acting was bad. While this was partly due to bad direction and editing, of course, when I see footage like this I have to wonder why he was cast. The third kid was better.

That said, the first movie didn't even need to exist. Nothing is accomplished in that movie except midichlorians. The villain they set up dies (at least until the cartoon said he's not dead, but that's irrelevant to the trilogy), Qui-Gon dies, Obi Wan does nothing, and Anakin does nothing. We could have started things out with episode 2 and not missed anything.
You're being too nice to the acting. The acting is among the worst I've ever seen, no hyperbole. (Not that the original trilogy had particularly good acting either, think we can agree it's wholly Lucas' doing)

Midichlorians were referred to once after episode one, so not even that justifies it's existence. Considering how episode 2 starts and characters are established, the first film is the most useless film in the series by a mile.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
The prequels are bad but man poor Jake Lloyd, the stories about his bullying in school were horrific.

Apparently recently he had issues like DIU and harassment?

You're being too nice to the acting. The acting is among the worst I've ever seen, no hyperbole. (Not that the original trilogy had particularly good acting either, think we can agree it's wholly Lucas' doing)

Midichlorians were referred to once after episode one, so not even that justifies it's existence. Considering how episode 2 starts and characters are established, the first film is the most useless film in the series by a mile.

Hilariously enough I'd argue PM is less offensive than AotC

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
And most of it being nerd rage over a movie that they decided to make personal.

Jake was by no means the only loose end when it came to the performances in that movie.
Absolutely. I wouldn't watch movies with Liam Neeson for several years after Episode One, he was so bad I thought he was a horrible actor. Ewan McGregor wasn't good in the first one, Natalie Portman, whoever did Jar Jar's voice...

All the people in this thread surprised at the amount of hate those actors(especially Lloyd) received need to realize that this was the internet from 2001-2006. People were much harsher in opinion back then, probably even on Neogaf as well.

i think its just as mean today.

Rymuth

To be fair, people vs George Lucas tried to represent both sides of the argument.

He could've easily asked to be put in the pro-George camp.

All the bullshit he had to deal with for appearing in a shitty movie is uncalled for. I've always felt bad for Jake, regardless of how I feel about the movies. No one should go through that shit for a MOVIE.

blakep267

Yeah in ever understood it back then. Like yes, Jake and Hayden have bad performances( I actually think Ahmed Best did a really good job with jar jar in the sense that he created a character and made it his own)

But I never felt they ruined my life or that I hated them. I remember people Fromm HS literally cursing their names and prequels and wouldn't even let you talk about them. To this day I know people who will flip out at the utter mention of anything prequel related as if your saying the name of Voldemort or something

I couldn't blame Jake Lloyd for what he was given, since he was just a little kid at the time.

And yeah, heard he was subject to being bullied over his involvement in Phantom Menace a long time ago. That is definitely not a good way to live your childhood and I feel it ruined what would have been a potential, acting career for him.

And prequel films were definitely not as disastrous as people try to paint them as. I know they will definitely not top the original trilogy, but still the fanbase was way too rabid.

So props to Mark Hamill for defending all that.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
The prequels had one job, and that was to give us a compelling character arc of Anakin Skywalker falling to the dark side.

They failed at this job, horribly. The prequels made Anakin an insufferable little punk and his fall made no goddamn sense. For that reason, they deserve to be known as bad movies, regardless of any of their other merits.

That doesn't mean that Jake or Hayden deserve the hate they get, either. They didn't write the scripts. They didn't direct their own acting. They weren't the final stamp of approval. Failures at every level, here.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
The Prequels were definitely mediocre as fuck, but Jake Lloyd did not deserve the hatred he got. Yes, he was a bad kid actor, but holy shit, people were saying some truly disgusting things about the kid. I feel bad for him. The backlash from Episode I killed his career without a doubt, and I'm positive it played into his substance abuse and subsequent mental breakdown.

Just a sad story for him all around.

Mr_Moogle

The RLM guys didn't really trash on Jake Lloyd. If anything they pointed out that flaws in these films made it hard work for the actors.

EGM1966

On point. The sequels weren't great IMO but the vitriol was unearranted. In particular going after a kid for merely delivering dialogues written for him and acting as instructed was particularly vile and damn crazy.

They're films. Yeah they didn't meet fan expectations but that's no excuse for abhorrent behaviour. They also weren't that bad.

w3bba

Mark Hamill continues to be an awesome human being.

I read the stories about how Jake Lloyd was treated and its still unbelievable. Poor Kid :/
I am not a big fan of the prequels myself, but for a 10 year old playing in one of the most hyped movies at the time and having to act out Lucas wooden and clunky dialog and directing, he didnt do worse than any of the adults.
But the bullying at school, well kids gonna be kids. Sadly. He could have used Star Wars as a way into Hollywood, instead he got into jail and the psychatry ward. :/

Edit:

That doesn't mean that Jake or Hayden deserve the hate they get, either. They didn't write the scripts. They didn't direct their own acting. They weren't the final stamp of approval. Failures at every level, here.

Hayden Christiansen is actually a pretty good actor. The silent scenes in the prequels he nails delivering emotions without talking or movement, just facial expressions.

Monocle

Angry fans should never have targeted the actors, regardless of how terrible they were. Lucas demanded stupid bullshit from his cast and he got it. He even managed to make the likes of Ian McDiarmid and Natalie Portman look dumb with his marvelous writing and direction.

zeemumu

Angry fans should never have targeted the actors, regardless of how terrible they were. Lucas demanded stupid bullshit from his cast and he got it. He even managed to make the likes of Ian McDiarmid and Natalie Portman look dumb with his marvelous writing and direction.

Unfortunately people will almost always go after the actor instead of the writer/director unless the director's known for subpar stuff. Catwoman had that same problem.

Chuckie

There might be more criticism now but there is less bullying around said criticism. There is less 'spit in your face and call you excrement' type of messaging when it comes to criticism. It definitely has gotten less harsh in certain ways more than others.

You must have missed that horrific racist bully campaign against Leslie Jones after Ghostbusters.

The internet is 100 times as gross as it was 15 years ago. There are bullies everywhere. Twitter, FB, Youtube comments. I think only NeoGAF has become more mild.

bitbydeath

Wow, I figured by Jake Lloyd they meant Jaja binks, wasn't the kid the best part of the prequels? It all went downhill fast with the older versions.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I'd hardly call what Hamill said "defending" the prequels. He just objected to the nerd abuse of Jake Lloyd for simply following George's awful script and will keep his criticism of George private.

Mr_Moogle

Hayden Christiansen is actually a pretty good actor. The silent scenes in the prequels he nails delivering emotions without talking or movement, just facial expressions.

His performances in the prequels aren't anything to write home about.

He is a decent actor though. He proved that in Shattered Glass.

It's disgraceful but nothing about that is ever going to change. In large communities there will always be a sizable amount of idiots in absolute numbers.

It's not surprising that an actor gets blamed for a crappy role/performance by these idiots, even if it wasn't the actor's fault whatsoever. After all, many of these idiots cannot even discern actors and the characters they play. The actor of Skyler from Breaking Bad got a lot of hate mail, so did GoT's Joffrey actor and many more.

I think it's Hollywood's and the Studio's job to protect the actors to the best of their ability. Maybe no marketing parades with child actors, especially not once they're already aware of the general criticism flying around for the film they starred in.

ElFly

um the article says that jake lloyd took bullying from his classmates

other articles cite him being tired of doing so many interviews after the movies and how he came to hate being in front of cameras

I know the fandom can be terrible and don't doubt vitriol was directed at him, but it sounds more like the larger part of the problems stem from elsewhere; kid actors frequently have difficult lifes if their parents don't shield him, and his mother being an agent should have known better, but sounds like she did not. yeah, his bigger role may have hurt him more as a child actor but the problem is being a child actor at all

of course this seems to originate from a single interview with jake since everybody cites the same issues "lightsaber sounds" and "60 interviews a day" so maybe there's more to it

SonnyBoy

Wow, I had no idea as a casual fan of the series that Jake Lloyd was treated that way... That's absurd. I was young when the 1st movie debuted and I knew it was trash but I never looked at him as the reason.

You could argue it ruined jakes life looking at where he is. The prequels weren't the best but some people have given movies way too much importance. Good on hamill for saying what he did.

kiguel182

The prequels are bad but the way people bashed a ten year old kid like he did something bad to him was terrible and embarrassing. Poor dude.

Jake >>> Hayden

Jake is imho better in The Phantom Menace than Hayden has been in everything I've seen him in, Star Wars or otherwise.

EGM1966

I don't like sand.
Neither do I. It gets everywhere. They still weren't that bad. They weren't that good either but pretending they're remotely in worst ever territory is usual hyperbole.

The words mediocre and average exist for a reason. People are too "best ever" and "worst ever" when it comes to evaluating media (arguably everything).

EVOL 100%

That's awful. I will always maintain that the prequels are awful movies even with a fair assessment without the baggage of the OT, but the stuff that Jake Lloyd went through is terrible.

The RLM guys didn't really trash on Jake Lloyd. If anything they pointed out that flaws in these films made it hard work for the actors.
Yeah, they point out that the acting is awful, but they place the blame on the direction they were given, instead of the actors. They defend Hayden Christensen by name, saying thay he's a good actor.

Sapiens

Fuck Star War fans.

52sO5DA.jpg

When it comes to the Preeeqs, Hamil said it very well - to paraphrase: Lucas made exactly the film he wanted to make.

Luckily, I don't live my life by a fucking marketing brand, so I'm totally fine with having watched them once and then moved on with my life (except for posting in threads like this, lol). Others are not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom