• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mark Zuckerberg sues Hawaiian families over Kauai land

Status
Not open for further replies.
Usually, when I hear a story that sounds outrageous, I try to find more information about it. People are usually rational actors and not complete fuckwits. Sure there are stories of irrational and/or deeply evil people, but more often than not it seems, these types of stories aren't telling the full story or are leaving critical information out. I don't know if Zuckerberg's explanation is fully true, but it's not out of the question based on my limited googling of the actions he's suing under.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Isn't the wall just around his actual house? Not the whole 700 acres. Totally reasonable.

22.216160,-159.388622

That's around where his land should be right?
This is the wall if I'm not mistaken:
https://www.google.com/maps/@22.200...g8hL4vEyQ6AkdwMF1w!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1

It doesn't look that high but it's hard to accurately judge. It covers the plantation half of his property that's facing the main road.

EDIT: Oh, that's 2011. I assume it's higher now.

Here, I traced it out:
oZCUp3T.jpg
Red is his two properties. Green is the wall.

Aikidoka

So he actually has a deal with the majority owners (and those are the ones who can sell it) and this is just to pay those who own fractions. So is this a total non story?

I don't know about non-story. Eco-tourism developments are becoming more and more essential for Hawaii is have a sustainable economy. So when you have some rich guy, who doesn't live there, that decides to hoard a 700 acre section all to himself, it kind of limits what the choice and control the locals have over their way of life.

I would like to point out that the island demographics are barely 9% Islander now. Pretty much all of it has been bought by rich white people and chinese expats.

So, really, it's BronsonLee's fault.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I would like to point out that the island demographics are barely 9% Islander now. Pretty much all of it has been bought by rich white people and chinese expats.

I'm sure Zuckerberg is really looking forward to being "good members of the community". It's just like the one back home!

Islanders live mostly on the south shore, the north shore is waaaaaaaaaaaaay too expensive and full of private estates.

Well except for the few towns next to Princeville (the rich private community) where the people that service the rich folks live.

gconsole

I guess it's cool to shit on rich people, especially when it has anything relate to FB lol.

Not a fan of Mark, but I don't see he's doing anything wrong by reading from his explaination (unless he lies which I doubt). The original story sounds a bit too extreme to be true.

BTW, why people here hate him? Just because he is rich or own FB? Is there any particular bad thing he did to people or community or country that color him that way or he deserve to be shit on?

Kinyou

I don't know about non-story. Eco-tourism developments are becoming more and more essential for Hawaii is have a sustainable economy. So when you have some rich guy, who doesn't live there, that decides to hoard a 700 acre section all to himself, it kind of limits what the choice and control the locals have over their way of life.
True, but that's also something that goes beyond Zuckerberg. I imagine it would be up to the government to put a limit on how much property foreigners could buy.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I guess it's cool to shit on rich people, especially when it has anything relate to FB lol.

Not a fan of Mark, but I don't see he's doing anything wrong by reading from his explaination (unless he lies which I doubt). The original story sounds a bit too extreme to be true.

BTW, why people here hate him? Just because he is rich or own FB? Is there any particular bad thing he did to people or community or country that color him that way or he deserve to be shit on?

Being associated with Palmer Luckey will do that to you.

Hmm he hired Palmer Lucky and supports him AND he fires the editorial staff that kept fake shit news from propagating during the last election when voters for the worst candidate humanly possible was bouyed on fake news people for from Facebook.

Yep this makes sense.

Ya fuck this. I'm still deciding whether to just delete my account or put up protest image and stop using it--figure not logging in will also decrease their profit from ads. Almost everyone in my circle is in Hawaii so waiting to see what other people are doing.

The natives should play this like a game of RISK. Zuck buys each plot of land, one by one. But on the last plot auction, everyone pools their money to raise the bid on it, forcing Zuck to overpay for the last lot to fully own the entire property. He'll still get the land, but not without substantial costs, and extra money in the natives' pockets.

ZOONAMI

I'm confused, why did he buy property surrounding other peoples' property? Could he not have just had a 500 acre estate and been happy?

ZOONAMI

The natives should play this like a game of RISK. Zuck buys each plot of land, one by one. But on the last plot auction, everyone pools their money to raise the bid on it, forcing Zuck to overpay for the last lot to fully own the entire property. He'll still get the land, but not without substantial costs, and extra money in the natives' pockets.

If it's a public auction they hopefully will attract some big money bidders who want to piss Zuck off.

Would be hilarious if someone was able to beat him out on a bid and then drop a house and a road to it in. Paint the house Neon Pink and put lots of reflective stuff on it to. Keep the lights on at night all the time, big flood lights.

LOL.

KHarvey16

I'm confused, why did he buy property surrounding other peoples' property? Could he not have just had a 500 acre estate and been happy?

The land isn't contiguous. He dealt with the majority land owners for all of it and now has to find out who the people are that own these smaller bits. He nor the majority owners know who they are.

Breads

Banned
Titles dating back to the mid 1800s? Fuck that I made a web site. You guys got to go! I need all of this square mile for my home and I can't deal with the stress of knowing you exist.

KHarvey16

Titles dating back to the mid 1800s? Fuck that I made a web site. You guys got to go! I need all of this square mile for my home and I can't deal with the stress of knowing you exist.

You should read the other articles posted that give a clearer picture of what's happening.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Man, 700 acres in Kauai is pretty much my dream life. That place is astonishingly beautiful. Like if you drop a camera down a hill it will snap off a dozen beautiful postcards by the time it stops tumbling.

Anarion07

Man, 700 acres in Kauai is pretty much my dream life. That place is astonishingly beautiful. Like if you drop a camera down a hill it will snap off a dozen beautiful postcards by the time it stops tumbling.

Add a net worth of 44 bn and a loving wife. Yep. You're right.

They're minority owners who don't live there and might not even realize they own part of it.

Yeah, Kauai is beautiful. And it's been entirely and utterly monopolized by the wealthy and all but forced its native population into servitude towards them to make ends meet.

The islands are the most beautiful places on earth. And the people she birthed are being forced out or forced to live secluded or in service of the wealthy just to survive. I'm not giving him a pass for continuing this just because what he's doing is technically legal.

HStallion

Yeah, Kauai is beautiful. And it's been entirely and utterly monopolized by the wealthy and all but forced its native population into servitude towards them to make ends meet.

The islands are the most beautiful places on earth. And the people she birthed are being forced out or forced to live secluded or in service of the wealthy just to survive. I'm not giving him a pass for continuing this just because what he's doing is technically legal.

So history in Hawaii is just repeating itself.

JABEE

Rich people are gonna own everything soon

And then they will donate a billion dollars to their own charity they can use as a pet project in their retirement.

That way people will remember them as great philanthropists, not profiteers and exploiters of the human body and soul.

KHarvey16

I guess I don't really see how this necessarily fits into that narrative. He bought the land from majority land owners that agreed to sell. Presumably these weren't disadvantaged people or those in need. The minority owners don't live on the land or use it, otherwise the majority owners would know who they are. This is an attempt to locate them and pay them for land they might not even realize belongs to them but in any case land they are not making any use of.

HStallion

I guess I don't really see how this necessarily fits into that narrative. He bought the land from majority land owners that agreed to sell. Presumably these weren't disadvantaged people or those in need. The minority owners don't live on the land or use it, otherwise the majority owners would know who they are. This is an attempt to locate them and pay them for land they might not even realize belongs to them but in any case land they are not making any use of.

The issue being that the islands outside of Oahu and the Big Island are basically being carved up like a turkey at Thanksgiving and shared with a select few. Yes they bought things fair and square but as I said earlier, I worry that eventually the smaller islands will be private estates you won't even be able to set foot on.

Niihau is already privately owned for example.

This fits that narrative because these people didn't even know their ancestors owned this land. Because they were all but forced out like many others. It's impossible to maintain a livable standard somewhere when the average cost of living spikes massively due to a land push by the wealthy

Anarion07

I guess it's the whole "he does it to stop indigenous people from walking on his holy ground" narrative added by bias

JABEE

Lawsuit sounds shady, people have a right to an easement if there property is circled by another parcel. That is real estate 101.

On the other hand, if the native land owners descendents do not know that they own the land and don't care for it, I don't see how that land can be considered anything but abandoned.
I can see the courts siding with Mark if he tries that argument,.

Does Hawaii not have a property tax? or force the sale of tax delinquent properties?

I think the question is what was the intention of the land grants when they were given out.

Were they given out to protect the islands from these kinds of transactions?

KHarvey16

The issue being that the islands outside of Oahu and the Big Island are basically being carved up like a turkey at Thanksgiving and shared with a select few. Yes they bought things fair and square but as I said earlier, I worry that eventually the smaller islands will be private estates you won't even be able to set foot on.

But I guess my point is this wasn't necessarily land being lived on or used by natives. The carving was done already.

I think the question is what was the intention of the land grant when they were given out.

Were they given out to protect the islands from these kinds of transactions?
Yes. The law was instituted well over a century ago to prevent the then Hawaiian territories from being picked apart by crows

Eminent domain, easement and many other legal tools. Heck, my neighbor has an easement for a driveway on MY property. Which he does not use as a driveway. Kind of annoys me, but that was the legal status when I bought the house and he's actually very pleasant and a good neighbor otherwise.

Just say the word. Is there a need for us to scramble a fireteam of Spartans?

ZOONAMI

So, have they already determined who ANY of the minority owners are?

How do you pay the minority owners if you don't know who they are?

If no one is using the land then why is he even bothering with this?

If they know who any of the minority owners are, shouldn't they be contacted and made aware of their ownership, before a public auction is allowed to proceed? Maybe if they were aware of their ownership they would want to use the land and not sell it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom