• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mark Zuckerberg sues Hawaiian families over Kauai land

Status
Not open for further replies.

Regginator

I'm trying my utmost best to not say certain things that would probably get me banned here. Fucking scum.

edit

Hmm, not sure what to make of that. I don't buy his story. What if the current residents, even if they're legally just 1% owner, don't want to sell but the other 99% wants do. Are they forced out? Because that's what's being implied here, and Zuckerberg can go fuck himself for that.

KHarvey16

If I'm understanding correctly, the issue here is with the concept of ownership.

It seems like the people who currently use the land want to sell it to Zuckerberg. But because of the way ownership of the land works, passed down in families, there could be many other people who have the right to use it in the future if they wish. Zuckerberg wants to prevent that eventuality by suing now to make sure only he has access in future.

From the usual American perspective, there is no respect for the future access to land whatsoever, so Zuckerberg's actions make sense. If the current users are willing to sell, then buy it and monopolize it forever.

The issue is that the usual American perspective on land ownership may be pretty damn awful, especially in places like Hawaii.

It's not about future use, it's current ownership. The majority landowners have sold, but little pieces inside those parcels are owned by others and they, in many cases, have not been able to identify them.

annnd done.

I had an idea it might be something like this. It's like those websites you can check to see if some bank or business is holding money you didn't know about. My outrage though...

I dunno, I find his explanation is a bit self-serving. They "bought some land", but they didn't. As they have to now go further in court. If they bought some land and that was the end, then there would not to be anything further to say.

They want to "preserve the beauty of hawaii", which at first sounds like some kind of national park for the good of the island and the ecology, but I am betting it is just going to be a dynastic estate people may get to see from afar at best. Reinforcing the boundaries by filling in all the blanks with his name sounds like part of that process.

In his first post "and local farmers use it to grow fruits and spices" so is that going to continue? or when he finishes the legal process, will that cease?

There isn't enough detail to know whether this is just him doing damage control on a process of building an estate, or it is actually charitable. He seems to be suggesting this is some kind of worthy cause that is being unfairly maligned.

ExVicis

You are making the wrong assumption that people want to actually research the issue. It's much easier to just be enraged and stand on a false moral high ground.
I had a feeling there might be more to this story than was initially posted but it's hard to find information in-between all that "Yo fuck this asshole!" in this thread.

So then is there actual reason to be outraged at all?

KHarvey16

I dunno, I find his explanation is a bit self-serving. They "bought some land", but they didn't. As they have to now go further in court. If they bought some land and that was the end, then there would not to be anything further to say.

They want to "preserve the beauty of hawaii", which at first sounds like some kind of national park for the good of the island and the ecology, but I am betting it is just going to be a dynastic estate people may get to see from afar at best. Reinforcing the boundaries by filling in all the blanks with his name sounds like part of that process.

In his first post "and local farmers use it to grow fruits and spices" so is that going to continue? or when he finishes the legal process, will that cease?

There isn't enough detail to know whether this is just him doing damage control on a process of building an estate, or it is actually charitable. He seems to be suggesting this is some kind of worthy cause that is being unfairly maligned.

They bought land that has these smaller pieces inside it owned by people who don't live on it or use it.

They bought land that has these smaller pieces inside it owned by people who don't live on it or use it.

Yes but perhaps instead of taking the word from Zuck himself - bland as it is - read an interview with a local.

So what’s being planned there to push back against Zuckerberg?

Right now, everyone’s just getting riled up. The beach down there is called Pila’a. I’m working on starting an Occupy Pila’a, where we get everyone to go down and camp on the beach there for a month. That beach is a public piece of land. They don’t own it. We’re all figuring out what we can do in response to this.

Read more at http://www.surfer.com/features/mark-zuckerberg-no-man-is-an-island/#0lg6qF8ltBwBZ01A.99

http://www.surfer.com/features/mark-zuckerberg-no-man-is-an-island/#0lg6qF8ltBwBZ01A.99

I had a feeling there might be more to this story than was initially posted but it's hard to find information in-between all that "Yo fuck this asshole!" in this thread.

So then is there actual reason to be outraged at all?

From the sounds of it, not really. Given the laws he is dealing with, and the fact that some people dont even know they are partial owners, he is taking the correct course of action. Sure, you could complain that he is taking land owned by people native to the land, but it seems he is doing so in the correct manner to properly compensate the owners while not leaving himself open to future lawsuits.

Quiet title actions are the most routine thing in the world. Until we can create narratives because it involves a well known billionaire this time.

What part of that article contradicts what I said?

no contradiction, did I say there was . however in your very bland summary it make it seem like there is nothing to see.
But there is more to the story than your summary suggests, or the glossy answer Zuck used his global newspaper to publish.

Hycran

Banned
I've been to Kauai before and I don't blame anyone for wanting to do anything they can to buy land there. It is paradise on earth and I'd go back in a heartbeat. Godspeed Zuck

Diablos

How ironic is this, GAF? The man who basically made it OK for people to voluntarily provide all kinds of personal information to a website that doesn't really care about your privacy and what's done with your information is throwing a hissy fit and suing because he doesn't have enough... privacy.

What a fucking hypocritical asshole. Take your money and go find somewhere else private.

This isn't new, Hawaiians got screwed throughout history.

Check out what the Dole Family did to Queen Liliuokalani. The last monarch of the Kingdom of Hawaii.

^ yep the Pineapple Dole.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
no contradiction, did I say there was . however in your very bland summary it make it seem like there is nothing to see.
But there is more to the story than your summary suggests, or the glossy answer Zuck used his global newspaper to publish.

The anti-GMO guy who has an uncle living in an RV on land that he doesn't really have access too, and doesn't real own as the majority owners sold it already?

I mean, the beef shouldn't be with Zuckerberg, but the familes who sold the majority of all the land to him.

Honestly, he seems to want to be a good steward to the land and take care of it. There's a lot of worse people who could have bought this.

How ironic is this, GAF? The man who basically made it OK for people to voluntarily provide all kinds of personal information to a website that doesn't really care about your privacy and what's done with your information is throwing a hissy fit and suing because he doesn't have enough... privacy.

What a fucking hypocritical asshole. Take your money and go find somewhere else private.

That's not exactly the case either... he's already allowing people to farm some of the land he bought as is.

This is really something blown completely out of proportion by people who have no idea what this is all about. You literally have what amounts to deeds of land with hundreds of owners where the majority of that has been sold.. some of the people probably don't even know they own it.

A quite title is meant to quiet the disputes of a title, meaning to clear things up.

It's not as much as he is suing people, it's a pretty routine court action to clear the situation up.... and it's own ANY of us would take in the same exact freaking situation if we were him.

Dude Abides

Banned
This seems like a fairly standard and unavoidable quiet title proceeding for this type of situation but the environmentalist pose is eyeroll inducing.

NervousXtian

I was going to go verify this, but I couldn't get past the wall he built around it.

He's not allowed to build a fucking fence that was about the same height as the berm?

The fence thing was a buncha bullshit anyhow. The pictures they took to show how bad the wall were literally the one small stretch it blocked any view at all.

Feel free to go look at Google streetview and see for yourself..

cdyhybrid

He's not allowed to build a fucking fence that was about the same height as the berm?

The fence thing was a buncha bullshit anyhow. The pictures they took to show how bad the wall were literally the one small stretch it blocked any view at all.

Don't shoot the messenger, I'm just reporting back.

I'm all for finding new reasons to hate tech billionaires, but this isn't that egregious. He's reached deals for the land, the legal action is simply because there could be hundreds of heirs out there with a tiny piece and he wants a clear title.

There's a piece of property like this in my family in Kentucky, which has a similar complicated law. My grandfather lived on it most of his life and paid the taxes but he never really owned it because his parents never filed the proper paperwork to transfer it to him and didn't leave a clear will, so legally it was split between him and his many siblings. And then when they died their rights got passed on to descendants and, you see where this is going. With no clear deed he could never transfer it, he'd have to follow a similar sale and split the proceeds among everyone with a piece. Now that he's dead and I think all but one of his siblings is it's in even more extreme limbo.

Usobuko

Banned
The 3 billion fund for medical advancement is just him and Priscilla Chan trying to buy their name into history.

When Zuckerberg wants something, he do all kind of things to get it. I hope the Chinese can see through his shitty intent to get into the China's market. You wife being Chinese is no mean a leverage to bridge closer relationship, more so when she's terrible at that language.

The 3 billion fund for medical advancement is just him and Priscilla Chan trying to buy their name into history.

When Zuckerberg wants something, he do all kind of things to get it. I hope the Chinese can see through his shitty intent to get into the China's market. You wife being Chinese is no mean a leverage to bridge closer relationship, more so when she's terrible at that language.
What an odd thing to express anger about.

Quiet title actions are the most routine thing in the world. Until we can create narratives because it involves a well known billionaire this time.
it's a little disturbing how readily people latch onto a narrative that suits their preconceived notions. especially here, where we are supposedly immune from such easy manipulations... i doubt any of the 'fuck zuck' posters have a conception of how title works, anyway.

cdyhybrid

it's a little disturbing how readily people latch onto a narrative that suits their preconceived notions. especially here, where we are supposedly immune from such easy manipulations... i doubt any of the 'fuck zuck' posters have a conception of how title works, anyway.

Don't worry, my opinion of "Fuck Zuck" has nothing to do with this particular issue.

Hot take culture. Works for stuff like this just as easily as in sports.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.

Okay, since we're going there. The Street View is from 2011. The property purchase and any subsequent developments would be in 2014 and later, which we have no images for. Maybe it's higher, maybe it isn't.

So, yeah.

As long as we're all about clearing up nonsense...

Cagey

Banned
How many of the shitty kneejerk reactions here do you think came from attorneys?

Over/Under at 0.5.

It doesn't sound like he's doing anything bad at all. Why is everyone so angry? Seriously do people just read news headlines and stop there? This is borderline fake news if you just take the title of this. I swear we just had a thread about how people were falling for click bait/fake new titles and going off the handles. Guess people will never learn.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
It doesn't sound like he's doing anything bad at all. Why is everyone so angry? Seriously do people just read news headlines and stop there? This is borderline fake news if you just take the title of this. I swear we just had a thread about how people were falling for click bait/fake new titles and going off the handles. Guess people will never learn.

yes

NervousXtian

Okay, since we're going there. The Street View is from 2011. The property purchase and any subsequent developments would be in 2014 and later, which we have no images for. Maybe it's higher, maybe it isn't.

So, yeah.

As long as we're all about clearing up nonsense...

Does it matter as you can't see shit even in 2011? That's my point he out a wall in front of trees plants and a berm. He didn't block a view when there's not a view to block.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Does it matter as you can't see shit even in 2011? That's my point he out a wall in front of trees plants and a berm. He didn't block a view when there's not a view to block.

You can see a lot in 2011. That wall looks to be about waist height for a typical adult. You can measure it against the mailboxes on the opposite side of the road.

Supposedly, and I want to emphasize this because I can't actually go there to verify the heightening of the wall, Zuck's improved wall is 6' high, which is more or less high enough to block out... everything.

But hey, it's his property and he can build what he wants! No one has any right to tell him otherwise or judge him negatively because it's all on the up and up. Nothing to see here, please disperse.

Madness

Wonder if he was also an asshole before he was rich.

He was an asshole who wanted to get rich and finally have power. A lot of people who knew him said that the one thing they had right about the Social Network was how much he hated those who were more priviliged and wanted what they have.

Anarion07

I'm trying my utmost best to not say certain things that would probably get me banned here. Fucking scum.

edit

Hmm, not sure what to make of that. I don't buy his story. What if the current residents, even if they're legally just 1% owner, don't want to sell but the other 99% wants do. Are they forced out? Because that's what's being implied here, and Zuckerberg can go fuck himself for that.

But.. that's how anything with majority owners works. They can sell it. Nothing to do with zuxk. He just makes sure the minority owners get their share

Socreges

Banned
Creating narratives? Regardless of the circumstances, are there not people involved who simply don't want to sell*? Indigenous folk that would rather own a piece of this land, 'clouded' or not, than concede to a billionaire who can throw around money as he wishes provided he gets what he wants? My understanding as well is that this puts many in a situation where they will simply not be able to afford to contest the quiet title and are motivated to not cause any trouble and accept their pay out.

* Or does he own everything entirely, without compromise, and simply wants to ensure the minority owners are also compensated?

I don't think the latter is the case. Some smaller tracts exist that he does not own outright, and this is where the quiet title comes into importance.

Happy to be proven wrong, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom