• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel’s ‘The Eternals’ Will Feature First ‘Beautiful’ On-Screen Gay Kiss, ‘Everyone Cried On Set’

Tesseract

Banned
thought it was gonna be two ladies

giphy.gif

Hinedorf

Banned
And here I thought Disney was a progressive company, a couple homosexuals start kissing and everybody around them cries in protest?! WHAT KIND OF WORLD ARE WE LIVING IN!!!!

This is sounding less and less genuine the more PR seems to cover it, and more and more like a purposeful marketing stunt.

Which is fine, but if they really wanted to go this route they should've just adapted Ultimo (which already had this stuff in its DNA).

Idk. Enjoy that money you're not getting from China I guess.

In a way this is ironically good because it'd be a case of Hollywood not letting China dictate/censor what should or shouldn't be in their movies, even if it means forgoing that market. Worked very well for Joker.

OTOH, this is Disney, and they have no consistent backbone on this type of stuff, so they will be perfectly fine with these scenes getting cut altogether in foreign markets and Disney/MCU fans will find excuses for letting it happen such as "it's just the cost of doing business". Which is ironic because that's the sole reason they are hyping this stuff up in PR fluff pieces in America to begin with: to milk progressivism for financial profit.

But for all we know they may pull a Birds of Prey and simply imply all of the LGBT stuff in marketing yet have it conspicuously absent in the final film, opening up a whole new can of worms i.e queerbaiting.

What a time for the MCU I guess x3.

Last edited:

South

Banned
thought it was gonna be two ladies

giphy.gif

two people who identify as ladies you mean! - could be a biological woman and biological woman kissing and it would not count if one identified as a man right? I mean thats just a normal straight couple

sol_bad

No context? The source is in the OP. Creative talent is giving interviews about groundbreaking LGBT inclusivity. But yes we should ignore this because no one has seen a final cut so maybe the character is straight who can really say.

Maybe link the original article and state what sort of site it is?

C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member
Eh, Norse mythology is full of magical sex changes and weird sexual encounters.

"I probably shouldn't fuck that." Is a thought that would never occur to a god.

Personally I can't wait for Marvel to adapt Loki turning into a horse, getting fucked by another horse, and then getting pregnant.

If anyone can bring that pregnancy to life it's Tom Hiddleston as a lady/trans/whothefuckknowsorcares/horse.

It's so diverse it's gonna make woke heads explode.

Cybrwzrd

Banned
The big question is, is the character gay, or is the character a character who happens to be gay. The former is stupid pandering (like how Capital Marvel's defining trait is that she is a Whaman), and the latter just makes for an interesting character.

cryptoadam

Banned
Have they not learned. Push your woke, you go broke.

And this can't be right first gay kiss? They mean in MCU or Super hero movies right? Because there have been movies/TV shows with 2 dudes kissing. And I am not sure why 2 dudes kissing is supposed to make people cry. Its 2 dudes kissing not someone landing on mars. 2 dudes kiss all the time. If I was gay this would be more insulting to me then no gay characters at all. Its fetishising and using gays as some sort of virtue signal, instead of just treating them like normal people.

iorek21

Seems like Marvel waited for the Infinity Saga to end to begin their woke agenda on Phase 4

Guess time will tell if this shift will be successful

Nymphae

Banned
And this can't be right first gay kiss? They mean in MCU or Super hero movies right? Because there have been movies/TV shows with 2 dudes kissing

Yes this is way old news, used to be done for laughs like American Pie 2, now it's done for justice. Pretty sure they mean just within the MCU.

Last edited:

ManaByte

The big question is, is the character gay, or is the character a character who happens to be gay. The former is stupid pandering (like how Capital Marvel's defining trait is that she is a Whaman), and the latter just makes for an interesting character.

He's an immortal space god who has been hiding on Earth for 35,000 years. He just happens to be gay.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
The original interview is from a gay pride/news web site, and the actor is a gay Muslim from Lebanon. It's hardly surprising that this is a big deal to a lot of gay people and an "out" Muslim gay in particular. A person from a place where gay sex is still illegal and from a culture where they are regularly killed with no recourse for the murderers being able to have a "husband" in a major Marvel production is gonna make them proud to be part of that.

Yes there's also the "marketing decision" aspect of someone at Disney deciding "let's have a married gay couple in this show/movie".... that doesn't mean it can't be a big deal to gay people.

Last edited:

ManaByte

The original interview is from a gay pride/news web site, and the actor is a gay Muslim from Lebanon. It's hardly surprising that this is a big deal to a lot of gay people and an "out" Muslim gay in particular. A person from a place where gay sex is still illegal and from a culture where they are regularly killed with no recourse for the murderers being able to have a "husband" in a major Marvel production is gonna make them proud to be part of that.

Shh don't bring context into this.

ExpandKong

Banned
Oh yeah, everyone on set stood and applauded and cried, and the person on the other end of that gay kiss? Albert Einstein.

Looked like Nymphae Nymphae provided the source and as much context as was necessary, not sure why everyone’s jumping down his/her/zim/zer/zwei’s throat acting like he’s demanding gay concentration camps by sharing a link or something.

Seems like Marvel waited for the Infinity Saga to end to begin their woke agenda on Phase 4

Guess time will tell if this shift will be successful

Has it ever been?

Nymphae

Banned
Looked like Nymphae Nymphae Nymphae Nymphae provided the source and as much context as was necessary, not sure why everyone’s jumping down his/her/zim/zer/zwei’s throat acting like he’s demanding gay concentration camps by sharing a link or something.

Yeah honestly I'm not really sure why it matters anyway that the original article was gay people asking other gays about their gay scenes. Others picked it up and are championing it, a lot of sites are reporting the news from this interview. Context for a lot of people is - oh look more media farnsgoth hagging.

Cybrwzrd

Banned
He's an immortal space god who has been hiding on Earth for 35,000 years. He just happens to be gay.

Yes, and Captain Marvel is a superpowered alien whatever, but she is a WAHMAN. That is what makes her strong.

So this is either going to be 2.5 hours of rainbow flags, assless chaps and "pride", or it can be a movie about a character who just happens to be gay.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
I didn't jump down anyone's throat or act like anyone was suggesting anything. How thin skinned are you? lol What post did you read ExpandKong ExpandKong ?

People were making fun of the quotes... I think the context of the guy's background and the article explains why he might say stuff like "everyone cried".... he's probably exaggerating, but it's because it makes him personally emotional due to said context. I wasn't even addressing the OP but the general negativity in this thread. Let the gay man be happy and get over yourselves.

Last edited:

ExpandKong

Banned
I didn't jump down anyone's throat or act like anyone was suggesting anything. How thin skinned are you? lol What post did you read ExpandKong ExpandKong ?

People were making fun of the quotes... I think the context of the guy's background and the article explains why he might say stuff like "everyone cried".... he's probably exaggerating, but it's because it makes him personally emotional due to said context.

I didn’t call out anybody specifically and I was exaggerating. I thought it was pretty obvious but shit I guess I’ll add a disclaimer next time for the Very Special members. My skin is normal thickness thank you.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Yes, and Captain Marvel is a superpowered alien whatever, but she is a WAHMAN. That is what makes her strong.

So this is either going to be 2.5 hours of rainbow flags, assless chaps and "pride", or it can be a movie about a character who just happens to be gay.

It's not about him. He's a background supporting character. The movie is about Kit Harrington and Gemma Chan wanting to fuck.

Nymphae

Banned
Idk, still needs more gay

We Got This Covered has been informed by our sources – the same ones who told us a She-Hulk show was coming to Disney Plus back in April, and that Taskmaster would be the villain in Black Widow – that the studio is developing a live-action Spider-Verse movie. As you’d expect, the hook would be that it would unite Holland with his predecessors, Tobey Maguire and Andrew Garfield. We’re also hearing that Sony is particularly keen on getting Garfield back, as they want to portray his version of the hero as bisexual and give him a boyfriend in the film.

Of course, this is something that Garfield would be very keen to do, as the actor said way back in 2013 that he thinks Spider-Man could be portrayed as gay. Not to mention it would also gel with where we last saw his character. You’ll recall that The Amazing Spider-Man 2 ended with the death of Gwen Stacey. Obviously, Peter Parker usually moves on with Mary Jane Watson. But why not give him a male partner instead?

• LOL
Reactions: 888

Javthusiast

Banned
These fucking hyperboles, like everyone cried on set cause it was so beautiful, are always hilarious.

Regarding this sony wants bisexual spooder man thing. Sure why not. Hot spider woman getting it on with hot black cat, why not? lol.

Last edited:

ExpandKong

Banned
Idk, still needs more gay

Eagle-eyed viewers realize there is precedent for Garfield’s portrayal of Parker to be bisexual, as the Amazing Spider-Man movies sucked dick.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Stunning and Bravely Default.

Anyways when is the trailer going to drop for this?

Woo-Fu

Banned
Is crying when other people kiss normal behavior? That's probably the best argument against PDA yet.

Madonis

I am fine with that, gay people kissing each other in movies doesn't bother me, but I haven't been sold on this being an actual good movie yet.

Gargus

Banned
Nobody fucking cried.

It's not the actual gay kiss that turned me off this movie, it's the fact it's being used as a marketing tool. And being presented in a way as if you deserve special attention just for being gay.

Top Bottom