• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT| Discussion on released and future projects (spoilers)

Xun

Hmmmmm? Overpromising and underdelivering. :p
He only knows about a few things, afterall he's only a concept artist on the film.

However he did hear that Sandler and Stiller are in the running for a certain character, but he has doubts about it.

Blader

I hesitate sharing this because it's CBM, which should always be taken with a grain of salt, but the guy who posted it is a pretty reliable and well-known contributor who (afaik) doesn't trade in the same bullshit rumors that a lot of CBM writers do.

That being said, still take with a huge fucking grain of salt.

Amazing Spider-Man 2 and 3 villain rumors:

We've got a couple of very interesting bits of Spidey related loveliness for you today. First off -- as I'm sure you've gathered from the image above -- we can 100% confirm that Colm Feore is actually playing
Adrian Toomes aka The Vulture
in The Amazing Spider-Man 2. And that's not all -- apparently he will
join forces with Rhino, Electro and Green Goblin to form the first four members of The Sinister Six, setting them up for the threequel. Who the other two will be is unknown, but it's always possible The Lizard could return as one of them.

More at the link

I hesitate sharing this because it's CBM
The reason you should hesitate sharing this is because it's the wrong thread. This is for the Marvel Cinematic Universe, in which Spidey has no place.

EnTkUII.jpg

Del Toro is 'eh' for me.

Winter Soldier looks like it could be awesome.

I hesitate sharing this because it's CBM, which should always be taken with a grain of salt, but the guy who posted it is a pretty reliable and well-known contributor who (afaik) doesn't trade in the same bullshit rumors that a lot of CBM writers do.

That being said, still take with a huge fucking grain of salt.

Amazing Spider-Man 2 and 3 villain rumors:

More at the link

Doing six villains would kill that film.

So my sister posted on Facebook a scan from a British newspaper saying Karen Gillian is playing a bounty hunter named Angela. I'm on my phone and I'm not sure if it's be okay to post the scan here. Have no idea who that is.

Likely one of the tabloids, and British tabloids are well known for pulling rumors out of their asses. They probably just googled "Guardians of the Galaxy," looked at coverage of the current series for prominent female characters, and came up with that.

TDLink

Likely one of the tabloids, and British tabloids are well known for pulling rumors out of their asses. They probably just googled "Guardians of the Galaxy," looked at coverage of the current series for prominent female characters, and came up with that.

I'm leaning towards this also. They have said they are focusing on the Abnett and Lanning stuff for the movie's basis, not the new Bendis run. Angela would be one of the less offensive things they could pull from it but I just don't see it happening. It doesn't make a lot of sense with other characters we already have confirmed in the movie.

I'm leaning towards this also. They have said they are focusing on the Abnett and Lanning stuff for the movie's basis, not the new Bendis run. Angela would be one of the less offensive things they could pull from it but I just don't see it happening. It doesn't make a lot of sense with other characters we already have confirmed in the movie.

If you could name me a more plausible character I might lean towards skepticism, but there isn't an obvious one. The Matriarch has perhaps the best argument but I doubt it.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
If you could name me a more plausible character I might lean towards skepticism, but there isn't an obvious one. The Matriarch has perhaps the best argument but I doubt it.

meh even if we cant name another, its because we arent sure what story the movie is drawing from exactly only the run thats inspiring it. She could be Phyla Veil for all we know. Angela is a good guess ....because of the nature of what a guess is, not because its obvious or clearly the most plausible choice , in actuality shes the last choice, many more are more plausible when it comes to the GoTG but since they've named the core group its hard to know.

TDLink

The Matriarch is a pretty good guess so there is one that is instantly plausible. She is the leader of the Universal Church of Truth, the most recurring villains the GotG faces in the comics. She also has red hair as well, which I feel is the primary reason Angela is even being touted as a possibility.

Angela also wouldn't really be an evil character if she was in, just an antagonist, while it has been clearly stated Gillian is playing a villain, not merely an antagonist. Angela as a bounty hunter also doesn't make sense when we potentially have Ronan and/or Nova already doing the same thing.

We also have heard rumours of The Collector being in the film. She could be playing the role of Carina, The Collector's daughter, who is also a villain.

Like I said though, I am pretty sure The Matriarch is what she will be. She is a straight up villain, the leader of what is arguably the GotG's primary opponents, and makes sense as a badguy even in the first GotG film. It would nicely set up Adam Magus for future films as well, which there has been some indication is a thing they want to do.

Angela also wouldn't really be an evil character if she was in, just an antagonist, while it has been clearly stated Gillian is playing a villain, not merely an antagonist.

Like I said though, I am pretty sure The Matriarch is what she will be.

I feel that Angela could be described as a villain in the same way that Boba Fett is a villain. I've outlined the reasons I don't think it's the Matriarch in the other thread.

We shall see. Sooner or later we will find out for sure and one of us will get to tell the other I told you so.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Joss Whedon, "Much Ado About Nothing" Director, on Passion Projects, "S.H.I.E.L.D." Hype, and "Guardians of the Galaxy"

Of course, there's a lot of buzz about "Guardians of the Galaxy" right now, and you're still involved with Marvel as an advisor. Have you given any recent advice to Marvel, or any advice to director James Gunn?

I've talked to them about the story from the beginning, and the different drafts. One of the questions they asked me was "What do you think of James Gunn?" And I giggled like a school girl because I was like, "Oh, this movie is going to work." It's weird, because I feel like maybe there are people who do -- and maybe you could -- but people ask, "Did you talk to Kenneth Branagh about adapting Shakespeare?" Of course not! [joking] "Hi, sir. I'm making one, too. Just like you! What should I do?"

It feels intrusive and, also, you sort of feel like, "No, I've got this." James is very assured. We had a great talk after we had both done our first movies, where -- it was probably some time a year after or less -- and we discovered that both us could not write. We realized the director in us had killed the writer. Because, for the first time ever, all the compromise, all the throwing out of the stuff you love, was done by you. And then to go back to the blank page and know that you're not even safe from yourself had crippled us for a while. And then we got past it, and that was a great bonding thing.

When it comes to this, for me, my only piece of advice has been: I want to hear more of James. Let's pull out the formula. Give me more James. Make it weirder. The only way to achieve that "Star Wars" vibe is not to chase it -- is to try to be an original universe and have all the fun and do all the stuff. And James is... he's perfect for that because even I said, "A raccoon?" And James's thing was, "Here's the deal. It's about the raccoon. This is why I love it: because of the raccoon and the tree." And I'm like, "Okay, that's the guy you need."

It looks like Whedon feels exactly the same as me about Gunn. Good stuff.

Saw this floating around facebook. I hope it's not super old...I lost track of this thread when it went to community.

Phil Coulson: Super Soldier?

Edit: I guess they don't allow image linking, so I'll just put the link.

It shows a kid named Phil in Captain America playing with a star shield trash can: implying that Phil Coulson is still young as a result of attempts to recreate the super soldier serum.

Havent they already announced DR. Strange is in development? That has to be one of them. Hopefully the other one is a Hulk movie where he fights the U-Foes or Wrecking Crew.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Joss Whedon: Avengers 2 won't be Nolan-esque

Sooooo… what can he reveal? Having teasingly promised fans ‘death, death and more death’, does this mean A2 is going all dark and Christopher Nolan-esque? ‘No, Nolan has this thing and of it he is the master,’ insists Whedon, who sees himself as ‘Tony Stark desperately trying to be Steve Rogers’. ‘I do not have Nolan’s thing,’ he says. ‘I can’t stop making jokes. In my vernacular there are two gold standards for sequels: The Godfather Part II and The Empire Strikes Back. They are darker films but they are not suddenly pretentious and losing the mission. The joy of the thing is important: the exaltation, the nobility, the humour and the humanity. But you do need to bleed with these people a little bit or you won’t want to spend another day with them.’

Thank God, especially considering the Man of Steel reviews stating that it's too serious and lacks humor.

Top Bottom