• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT| Discussion on released and future projects (spoilers)

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
stocked up on comics containing nova, winter soldier, and thanos to prepare for the upcoming movies. what thor comics contain the dark elves?

TDLink

I thought they said they were basing it on the Abnett and Lanning run more than anything.

They did. Abnett and Lanning even went in to talk about it with Gunn. Some people have been pushing for Bendis stuff to get inserted though (ugh) the announcement that Karen isn't playing Angela is a solid sign that they thankfully are not going to go that route at all.

Makes sense. No IM4 for phase 3.

They did. Abnett and Lanning even went in to talk about it with Gunn. Some people have been pushing for Bendis stuff to get inserted though (ugh) the announcement that Karen isn't playing Angela is a solid sign that they thankfully are not going to go that route at all.

Makes sense. No IM4 for phase 3.

At least we have Tony in Avengers now. And I am fine with no more Iron Man stand alone films. Time for some other characters to shine.

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
I liked the Iron Man films of course, but i'm glad this deal is only for the Avengers trilogy.

I feel that Iron Man as a series could've run the risk of fatigue, particularly if we were auto-guaranteed an Iron Man film each and every phase.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
http://latino-review.com/2013/06/20/exclusive-doctor-strange-movie-villains-revealed/

This is from Latino Review, so take with a grain of salt.

Supposedly, the three villains that will appear in the Dr. Strange film will be:

Dormammu_Earth-TRN177_0001.jpg
Dormammu

Mordo.jpg

Karl Mordo

mindless.jpg

Giant Mindless One

jph139

Makes sense to me... Mordo as the rival, Dormammu pulling the strings, Mindless One for smashy-smash. Pretty much his headliner villains.

Wonder what direction they'd go with for the sequel - Mephisto and Hell, or Shuma-Gorath and Lovecraft?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
http://latino-review.com/2013/06/20/exclusive-doctor-strange-movie-villains-revealed/

This is from Latino Review, so take with a grain of salt.

Supposedly, the three villains that will appear in the Dr. Strange film will be:

Dormammu

http://latino-review.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Mordo.jpg
Karl Mordo

http://latino-review.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/mindless.jpg
Giant Mindless One

That's 2 of the 3 villains in Marvel's animated Dr. Strange movie, so no surprise there.

Here's Hayley Atwell as an elderly Peggy Carter.

Notice there are tracking dots on her face.

m356.png

So I guess that rumored Cap 1 ending that got cut was real. They're just doing it here.

Shit, but the dancing thing won't be as poignant without the context of the first film. They'll probably scrap that.

TDLink

Marvel has announced a new reserved Phase 3 film date of July 18th, 2016. They already have their standard first weekend in May reserved for 2016 as well. That means we will get at least 2 films that year (same set up as when they did Thor and Cap in the same year). One of them is almost certainly Doctor Strange based on the rumours going about. What do you guys think the other one will be?

adg1034

I can safely say I can't remember anything about Iron Man 3's soundtrack.

I liked the Avengers though. I thought they were getting Clint Mansell involved somewhere?

We do know Clint Mansell visited Marvel on some sort of official business: https://twitter.com/janearthy/status/319527251236511744/photo/1

Now, Thor: The Dark World just switched composers from Carter Burwell to Brian Tyler, and Henry Jackman's confirmed to be composing for Winter Soldier. It's possible that he was just there for fun, or that he was even meeting about Winter Soldier, but he's never been bombastic enough to carry that kind of a movie. At least, that isn't his strength. In the (relative) short-term, that leaves Guardians of the Galaxy and Avengers 2. Between the two of those, I'd put my money on Guardians, considering how well his style's been suited to sci-fi before (while acknowledging that my wildest dreams of Bear McCreary composing for Avengers 2 are probably just that), but I could also see him as a terrific fit for Ant-Man or Dr. Strange, if they're planning things out that far ahead. Which'd surprise me, seeing as how music hasn't seemed to be a huge focus at Marvel thus far, but anything could happen...

TDLink

We do know Clint Mansell visited Marvel on some sort of official business: https://twitter.com/janearthy/status/319527251236511744/photo/1

Now, Thor: The Dark World just switched composers from Carter Burwell to Brian Tyler, and Henry Jackman's confirmed to be composing for Winter Soldier. It's possible that he was just there for fun, or that he was even meeting about Winter Soldier, but he's never been bombastic enough to carry that kind of a movie. At least, that isn't his strength. In the (relative) short-term, that leaves Guardians of the Galaxy and Avengers 2. Between the two of those, I'd put my money on Guardians, considering how well his style's been suited to sci-fi before (while acknowledging that my wildest dreams of Bear McCreary composing for Avengers 2 are probably just that), but I could also see him as a terrific fit for Ant-Man or Dr. Strange, if they're planning things out that far ahead. Which'd surprise me, seeing as how music hasn't seemed to be a huge focus at Marvel thus far, but anything could happen...

Composers are not chosen 2-3 years in advance. GotG is probably the best bet for Mansell, if anything.

Showaddy

Black Panther? The Rock is Luke Cage, Hero for Hire? Black Widow/Hawkeye?

If they can turn Ant Man and GOTG into anticipated films, I wouldn't be surprised with a freaking Dazzler or ROM movie.

With the Nova Corps being confirmed for Guardians it wouldn't surprise me if we got a Nova movie in phase 3. All Marvels talk about setting up the larger universe suggests they want to carry on the cosmic theme post Guardians as well.

With the Nova Corps being confirmed for Guardians it wouldn't surprise me if we got a Nova movie in phase 3. All Marvels talk about setting up the larger universe suggests they want to carry on the cosmic theme post Guardians as well.

If Guardians takes off, we will get a Nova movie. He is too much of a fan favorite. And by Nova, I mean Richard Rider.

adg1034

Composers are not chosen 2-3 years in advance. GotG is probably the best bet for Mansell, if anything.

Oh, agreed. And I think GotG'd be a great fit. But I also think I can definitively say that Clint Mansell wasn't meeting James Gunn when he visited Marvel. Clint was on tour at that point, going off his Twitter, and he was doing a show in NYC the day that photo of his Marvel guest badge was taken. Marvel HQ is in NYC, so that lines up.

James Gunn, on the other hand, moved to the UK a couple months prior to start GotG work, and again, going off his Twitter, seems to have been on vacation trying to visit as many European castles as possible at the same time Clint was in NYC.

Based on that, I'd say it was unlikely Clint was at Marvel discussing the possibility of him handling GotG. Could there be a scenario where he'd already agreed, and just stopped by while he was in New York to sign the paperwork? Sure. But I think he was just visiting because he's a fan.

My personal guess for GotG? Tyler Bates. James has worked with him before, he's already scored a superhero movie (Watchmen), and he's relatively safe. I don't see Marvel going outside the box with its composer choices the way they have with their director choices. Unfortunately.

Oh, agreed. And I think GotG'd be a great fit. But I also think I can definitively say that Clint Mansell wasn't meeting James Gunn when he visited Marvel. Clint was on tour at that point, going off his Twitter, and he was doing a show in NYC the day that photo of his Marvel guest badge was taken. Marvel HQ is in NYC, so that lines up.

James Gunn, on the other hand, moved to the UK a couple months prior to start GotG work, and again, going off his Twitter, seems to have been on vacation trying to visit as many European castles as possible at the same time Clint was in NYC.

Based on that, I'd say it was unlikely Clint was at Marvel discussing the possibility of him handling GotG. Could there be a scenario where he'd already agreed, and just stopped by while he was in New York to sign the paperwork? Sure. But I think he was just visiting because he's a fan.

My personal guess for GotG? Tyler Bates. James has worked with him before, he's already scored a superhero movie (Watchmen), and he's relatively safe. I don't see Marvel going outside the box with its composer choices the way they have with their director choices. Unfortunately.
So Tyler Bates to be the new go to for MCU? He did Iron Man 3 and is now doing Thor 2.

And Mansell could be for Cap 2. Maybe. Unless Silvestri is back.

adg1034

So Tyler Bates to be the new go to for MCU? He did Iron Man 3 and is now doing Thor 2.

And Mansell could be for Cap 2. Maybe. Unless Silvestri is back.

IM3 was Brian Tyler, who's doing Thor 2. Brian Tyler/Tyler Bates; I can see how you got mixed up.

Look a few posts up, though- Henry Jackman's doing Cap 2.

Marvel has announced a new reserved Phase 3 film date of July 18th, 2016. They already have their standard first weekend in May reserved for 2016 as well. That means we will get at least 2 films that year (same set up as when they did Thor and Cap in the same year). One of them is almost certainly Doctor Strange based on the rumours going about. What do you guys think the other one will be?
I'm going to guess that it's a malleable slot. If GotG does well, either a sequel to that or a Nova movie. If it does Ok to bad, maybe Black Panther.

J10

Banned
What's up with the ageing stars line? Seems really weird considering RDJ is the only 'ageing' actor and Doctor Strange will be played by an older actor surely?

Hmm. Strange would definitely be a more physical role for the actual actor than Iron Man since you wouldn't be hiding a stuntman behind some CG armor. I would cast Strange as a younger man just for the martial arts alone.

Hmm. Strange would definitely be a more physical role for the actual actor than Iron Man since you wouldn't be hiding a stuntman behind some CG armor. I would cast Strange as a younger man just for the martial arts alone.

Martial arts? lol. You must have seen the cartoon movie.

Showaddy

I'm not 100% familiar with Strange but from what Iv'e read he seems to be a wise, older character who's mystical powers define him rather than any kung-fu skills.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
eh ok. I know Marvel generally follow the Ultimate Universe design wise but would they use Ultimate Strange if it's that much of a diversion from the regular character?

They won't use Ultimate Strange. All their current characters are based off the regular marvel U in terms of their actual characterization. They only use the ultimate for some of the visual design like say Caps outfit in the first Cap movie or Nick Fury.

Top Bottom