• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT| Discussion on released and future projects (spoilers)

Runaways would be a easy to make money maker for marvel, it would be insane for them not to do it.

A bunch of kids with super villain parents running away together, bullshit romance plots, would be a huge hit with the twilight/hunger games crowed.

No one has super crazy powers either, outside of karolina.

Too bad Chronicle happened, that's probably going to make any future "teenagers get superpowers" efforts look a bit odd.

Salsa

Too bad Chronicle happened, that's probably going to make any future "teenagers get superpowers" efforts look a bit odd.

Give it some time and it'll be fine. A well-made Runaways film franchise could be the superhero movies for the harry potter generation.

edit: oops, as precisely stated by Khezu :p

Salsa

Marvel Studios will not release an R rated movie.

I actually think this might be one of the reasons why there's been little to no development on the project since they regained the rights. They have to think on how to make it work as a PG-13 film.

Give it some time and it'll be fine. A well-made Runaways film franchise could be the superhero movies for the harry potter generation.

edit: oops, as precisely stated by Khezu :p

Oh, yeah, I definitely agree it could work great, I just feel Chronicle did a good job of showcasing all the horrible bullshit teenagers would actually do if they got powers, and a Runaways film would probably be more, er, inclusive in its depiction of all that.

Granted, tonal differences and all, but they kinda have a similar concept- I think a Runaways film would have to lean heavily on the "supervillain" parents angle, at least for my liking. (They could tweak it and have one of the kids be Obadiah Stane's kid! Haha)

entremet

My only gripe with the MCU is that the movies have to have certain feel to them so the Universe angle remains cohesive. Seems to be limiting to the directors.

shira

I actually think this might be one of the reasons why there's been little to no development on the project since they regained the rights. They have to think on how to make it work as a PG-13 film.

rubber bullets and tranquilizers

Salsa

My only gripe with the MCU is that the movies have to have certain feel to them so the Universe angle remains cohesive. Seems to be limiting to the directors.

I think they plan on expanding this. They talked about how they wanna introduce the whole "magic" side of marvel with Dr. Strange.

It would also probably be the first movie without heavy SHIELD involvement, thus opening up things even more.

Dram

So since Marvel can't use Spider-Man in a movie, which characters from the comics do you think could take his place?

MechDX

So since Marvel can't use Spider-Man in a movie, which characters from the comics do you think could take his place?

Marc_Spector_Moon_Knight_Vol_1_39.jpg

Bwahahahaha!

noah111

Still Alive
Thor 2 and Iron Man 3 seem like they're going to throw this out of the window entirely. I'm super confident that Thor 2 will be superior to the first. Might even go as far to say the same thing about IM3, too.

noah111

Still Alive
I think they plan on expanding this. They talked about how they wanna introduce the whole "magic" side of marvel with Dr. Strange.

It would also probably be the first movie without heavy SHIELD involvement, thus opening up things even more.
I think a Dr. Strange movie could be done really well in the established universe, if they play it right. Remember, he is a surgeon before becoming 'sorcerer supreme' and protector of the universe, etc. Imagine a Dr. Strange movie showing the dark and ugly side of the events in Avengers 1, all those deaths, him being in hospitals trying to patch people up etc, losing his wife or something like that (not too brushed up on my 616 Dr. Strange history), and then being 'chosen' in some form of another connected to the catastrophe of the invasion in Avengers.

Either way, he's going to be on the team in Avengers 2 in some capacity.

Gambit

Regarding the film rights: Where would Spider-Woman fall? She hardly plays a role in Spider-Man comics, but the association is clearly strong.

So could she be used for Avengers or would Sony sue?
Who am I kidding? They'd sue in any case, just to make sure

Just read the "who owns what?" and it doesn't mention Jessica Drew as part of Sony's package. So there may be hope for her. (whatever her origin would be)

quickwhips

Give me a darkhawk movie have iron man think its his armor stolen tech or something and it would be awesome.

Moonknight would be awesome but I think it would be hard to get people interested.

Thunderbolts Movie would be awesome.

Salsa

I think a Dr. Strange movie could be done really well in the established universe, if they play it right. Remember, he is a surgeon before becoming 'sorcerer supreme' and protector of the universe, etc. Imagine a Dr. Strange movie showing the dark and ugly side of the events in Avengers 1, all those deaths, him being in hospitals trying to patch people up etc, losing his wife or something like that (not too brushed up on my 616 Dr. Strange history), and then being 'chosen' in some form of another connected to the catastrophe of the invasion in Avengers.

Either way, he's going to be on the team in Avengers 2 in some capacity.

I can see it working and its definetly gonna be connected, i just expect that not by much. They could really use it as an excuse to open up things a lot more.

also fuck McDreamy and his push to play him. Dont let it happen :(

McDreamy.jpg

The Punisher could be the best movie of them all, if someone great was behind it.
Well the last and first one were actually pretty great movies. Shit, just bring Ray and Lexi back again.

Marvel Studios will not release an R rated movie.
That is so fucking sad.

They make it as an R-Rated movie.

noah111

Still Alive
I can see it working and its definetly gonna be connected, i just expect that not by much. They could really use it as an excuse to open up things a lot more.

also fuck McDreamy and his push to play him. Dont let it happen :(

http://www.totaldeliciousness.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/McDreamy.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
They could do it subtly, without implicitly saying it but it being somewhat obvious to those who've seen Avengers or one of those movies, for example. But yeah, not sure about him tbh..

What about... Johnny Depp? Liam Nelson? Hugh Laurie? :lol OR......

Ed Norton?! *shyamalantwist.jpg*

Slayven

Regarding the film rights: Where would Spider-Woman fall? She hardly plays a role in Spider-Man comics, but the association is clearly strong.

So could she be used for Avengers or would Sony sue?
Who am I kidding? They'd sue in any case, just to make sure

Just read the "who owns what?" and it doesn't mention Jessica Drew as part of Sony's package. So there may be hope for her. (whatever her origin would be)

Jessica Drew link to Spiderman was tiny, they only met really once before being on the Avengers together. She being based in LA and what not.

Now, Marvel Studios aren't idiots. Which is why I fully expect them to bring back Hayley to play Agent 13 in Captain America 2. Because it would be the smart thing to do.

If only they could say "OK, FOX, you guys can keep the F4 forever if we get to have Doctor Doom". Marvel and FOX already have joint custody over the Skrulls. But Marvel need Doctor Doom. He's too cool to be trapped battling the F4. Hell, dude deserves his own film more than the F4 do.

Beth Cyra

If only they could say "OK, FOX, you guys can keep the F4 forever if we get to have Doctor Doom". Marvel and FOX already have joint custody over the Skrulls. But Marvel need Doctor Doom. He's too cool to be trapped battling the F4. Hell, dude deserves his own film more than the F4 do.

Why would FOX give up the most important part of F4?

Where does Surfer lie? Sure he was in F4-2, but SS isn't just a F4 character in the comics.

Mafro

That Jessica Jones TV series sounds really interesting. Would love to see Luke Cage and Iron Fist in that. I think those characters much better suit a TV series than a movie.

After reading Whedon's run on Astonishing X-Men, I really want to see him direct an X-Men movie now.

Dabanton

TBH with the exception of Ironman and The Hulk is anyone really wanting to see separate adventures with these characters after this movie? The teamwork and camaraderie is a great part of why the Avengers as a movie worked. The sooner Marvel get another one out the better.

I would scrap the sequels for Captain America and Thor and just have them all back for an Avengers sequel.

Beth Cyra

I did say "if only", I'm aware such a thing would never happen.

Wait a second. It's Fox who owns them right?

So could they actually have Doom show up in say X Men 4? I mean they did have the deleted scene in F4-1 with Hugh Jackman. What a kick in the nuts it would be to have Doom show up in an X Men movie but never have Doom interact with Loki/Thor/Cap.

TBH with the exception of Ironman and The Hulk is anyone really wanting to see separate adventures with these characters after this movie? The teamwork and camaraderie is a great part of why the Avengers as a movie worked. The sooner Marvel get another one out the better.

I would scrap the sequels for Captain America and Thor and just have them all back for an Avengers sequel.

Thor is the main reason I care about Avengers and I'm way more excited to see Thor then any other Marvel movie. So no, to me this is an awful idea.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
That Jessica Jones TV series sounds really interesting. Would love to see Luke Cage and Iron Fist in that. I think those characters much better suit a TV series than a movie.

After reading Whedon's run on Astonishing X-Men, I really want to see him direct an X-Men movie now.

And if that can't be possible, Whedon heading Jessica Jone's adaptation would be NNNNGH.

Blader

Not sure where the 2016 number is coming from, Feige himself said that they're thinking 2015 for Avengers 2.

What's the deal with the Fantastic Four?

The guy who directed Chronicle is developing a reboot for FOX.

Not sure. I don't think Fox has much stake in the brand anymore. I would imagine MS could get that one back. But they'd have to pay for it.

They wouldn't have to pay anything, the rights would automatically lapse back to Marvel if Fox doesn't renew their contract.

noah111

Still Alive
Time for spoiler talk! Is there any chance whatsoever that Coulson's death could have been faked, either by himself or by Fury? I really am wishing for a One Shot/post credits scene to be released after CA2 or a SHIELD movie, Coulson's body in a morgue that suddenly sits upright with a closeup his eyes, and they are neon green. Mar-Vell! He could be a sleeper-kree waiting to be activated, or something.

I'm honestly dying for that stupid rumor to come true. :lol I imagine it as the Ultimate Secret issue Mar-Vell.

Yeah, I wouldn't mind seeing a successful Marvel super hero TV series that's somehow at the same time tied into the MCU/SHIELD etc.

Not sure where the 2016 number is coming from, Feige himself said that they're thinking 2015 for Avengers 2.
I think he's said 2015 for a comic-con announcement/reveal or something, with a 2016 release. I might be wrong on that, though.

Wait a second. It's Fox who owns them right?

So could they actually have Doom show up in say X Men 4? I mean they did have the deleted scene in F4-1 with Hugh Jackman. What a kick in the nuts it would be to have Doom show up in an X Men movie but never have Doom interact with Loki/Thor/Cap.

I've never seen the Wolverine bit before. Man, that would have been weird in the actual film. :lol

And yeah, I guess they could do X-Men/F4 crossover stuff. The obvious path to go down there is do a movie about Franklin Richards.

Beth Cyra

I've never seen the Wolverine bit before. Man, that would have been weird in the actual film. :lol

And yeah, I guess they could do X-Men/F4 crossover stuff. The obvious path to go down there is do a movie about Franklin Richards.

The scene was really bad, they did a good thing when they cut it.

All I can say is if Doom did show up I would always be pissed. Wasn't there a story line where he was even able to trick Thor's hammer? Doom need to be a Villian for Avengers 2.

Khezu

Well Doom is cool, I don't think the public wants a super hero movie where all the heroes die and the villain wins in the end.

Top Bottom