• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT2| Discussion on released and future projects (spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom_Cody

I know this is old but I think they finally nailed Caps helmet. The lack of ears and weird jawline (overl-exposed neck) is what ruined it the first time, as well as the texture. Will have no problem seeing this in A2:

Captain-America-2.jpg
Wow, that looks really good.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
This is pretty confusing. As children of Magneto how will they fit in here without them eluding to them being mutants? Just random freak-of-nature super-people?

I don't think the MCU can handle the introduction of mutants, really. Mutants are everywhere, and they've been everywhere forever. The MCU is a world where super-powered people are just starting to appear, and are kind of special in their individuality.

Watchin the Amazing Spider Man the other day I'm starting to feel okay with certain franchises being segmented into their own universes. Spider Man works just fine as a solo act, and the X-Men films allow a universe of mutants to exist without conflict with the MCU. X-Men stories (before the last few years at least) have managed to also be pretty self-contained. Typically about mutants and mutant adversaries, not too much crossover into the rest of the Marvel Universe.

Let's get the FF and Silver Surfer and DOOM back into the MCU tho, yes please.

As for Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch, they could introduce a mutant-esque kind of group that isn't mutants, one with an origin story that's consistent with the universe as established. Or just be silly about it, and say that they have their powers because they spent a lot of time living in an area with a super-strong electromagnetic field.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
As for Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch, they could introduce a mutant-esque kind of group that isn't mutants, one with an origin story that's consistent with the universe as established. Or just be silly about it, and say that they have their powers because they spent a lot of time living in an area with a super-strong electromagnetic field.

As I explained earlier, the Inhumans fit the bill perfectly, and it's strongly hinted that they will be introduced in the MCU to replace mutants, as Marvel is pushing the Inhumanity storyline heavily in the comics.

As I explained earlier, the Inhumans fit the bill perfectly, and it's strongly hinted that they will be introduced in the MCU to replace mutants, as Marvel is pushing the Inhumanity storyline heavily in the comics.
Yeah they are psuhing the Inhumans but they cant get the bookoff the ground. Its been delayed several months and is about to get a new creative team.

noah111

Still Alive
Oh right, this is a good point. Forgot about the Inhumans entirely. Fans will kind of go apeshit if mutant characters and Inhuman character start getting thrown into the same pool, though.

That said if they were to do an Inhumans movie later down the line, it's not like they'd be allowed to use X-Men characters anyway (rights and all).

jax

Banned
Watchin the Amazing Spider Man the other day I'm starting to feel okay with certain franchises being segmented into their own universes.

No no no no no.

It's terrible that they're segmented. We as the fans shouldn't have to suffer because Sony keeps churning out terrible Spiderman movies. Disney has the infinite checkbook, they need to buy the franchises back. Wolverine was good and DOFP looks excellent, but we still need all of these franchises under one roof, or the Marvel Cinematic universe will never be complete. No Civil War. No Secret Invasion. Nothing. Just a bunch of movies with wasted potential.

mjc

No no no no no.

It's terrible that they're segmented. We as the fans shouldn't have to suffer because Sony keeps churning out terrible Spiderman movies. Disney has the infinite checkbook, they need to buy the franchises back. Wolverine was good and DOFP looks excellent, but we still need all of these franchises under one roof, or the Marvel Cinematic universe will never be complete. No Civil War. No Secret Invasion. Nothing. Just a bunch of movies with wasted potential.

Eh I wouldn't go that far. If they bring all the other heroes from other studios it could get a bit muddled. It's pretty clear that Marvel is banking on the cosmic/weird side of MU to be the basis for the next wave. (Dr. Strange, Guardians 2, potential Planet Hulk, Black Panther) I think focusing on that is just fine. If they want to they can bring around Annihilation.

jax

Banned
Eh I wouldn't go that far. If they bring all the other heroes from other studios it could get a bit muddled. It's pretty clear that Marvel is banking on the cosmic/weird side of MU to be the basis for the next wave. (Dr. Strange, Guardians 2, potential Planet Hulk, Black Panther) I think focusing on that is just fine. If they want to they can bring around Annihilation.

Because they have to tbh. You're telling me that you'd really prefer all of that without Spidey than with him? Just because of some contract from 2002? :(

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Because they have to tbh. You're telling me that you'd really prefer all of that without Spidey than with him? Just because of some contract from 2002? :(

If Spider-Man never sets foot in the MCU, I'd be okay with it. Would it be cool if he was? Yeah, but we already have a ton of stuff happening already. Winter Solider, Ultron, Ant-Man,Guardians of the Galaxy, Thanos. I'm really not missing him.

Oh right, this is a good point. Forgot about the Inhumans entirely. Fans will kind of go apeshit if mutant characters and Inhuman character start getting thrown into the same pool, though.

That said if they were to do an Inhumans movie later down the line, it's not like they'd be allowed to use X-Men characters anyway (rights and all).
Well they wouldn't be able to use any mutant characters anyway so they couldn't mix that up much. Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch are exceptions because of their long time Avengers affiliation.

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
I actually don't mind Spider-Man not being apart of the universe at large for a while. I'd love for them to get the Fantastic Four back though ASAP. Their tales seem to tie more directly in to what Marvel Studios seems to be doing.

And then of course the X-Men. It would be great if Marvel could actually use the word "mutant."

inky

I am one of the few who would love to see Spider-Man in the current MCU then. The X-Men on the other hand, I have no problem if they never made it back. (Not that I mind if they did, but I don't really feel they have to be a part of it. Maybe it has to do with the way I've always consumed the different properties).

Other stuff I'd never want to see in movie form: Civil War. Yuck.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
I am one of the few who would love to see Spider-Man in the current MCU then. The X-Men on the other hand, I have no problem if they never made it back. (Not that I mind if they did, but I don't really feel they have to be a part of it. Maybe it has to do with the way I've always consumed the different properties).

the few my asshole grease, if spiderman showed up in an Avengers trailer .....the fervor would be earth shattering.

So when I read stories, such as the recent "Disney buys Indiana Jones", was this a similar situation in how Fox has the X-Men/FF rights? Such as Lucasfilm owns it, but Paramount had the rights and now Disney does. I get its for future movies, but it could be future movies with X-Men/FF/Spidey, etc.

Just dreaming of what someone mentioned above with Disney's infinite check book. If only.

neoanarch

If Spider-Man never sets foot in the MCU, I'd be okay with it. Would it be cool if he was? Yeah, but we already have a ton of stuff happening already. Winter Solider, Ultron, Ant-Man,Guardians of the Galaxy, Thanos. I'm really not missing him.

Pete is the heart and soul of the Marvel Universe for me. He has so much history and influence both in the rest of the MU itself but on the writers themselves that its just not the same without him.

eastx

Pete is the heart and soul of the Marvel Universe for me. He has so much history and influence both in the rest of the MU itself but on the writers themselves that its just not the same without him.

Agreed.

The X-men are the only group who really fit better in their own universe. It never makes sense to me that both superheroes and the X-Men exist in the same world and yet regular people are only prejudiced against the X-Men. The discrimination angle just works better with them existing separately as they do in the movies and (mostly) cartoons.

So when I read stories, such as the recent "Disney buys Indiana Jones", was this a similar situation in how Fox has the X-Men/FF rights? Such as Lucasfilm owns it, but Paramount had the rights and now Disney does. I get its for future movies, but it could be future movies with X-Men/FF/Spidey, etc.

Just dreaming of what someone mentioned above with Disney's infinite check book. If only.

No, that's different. Disney has outright bought the Marvel/Star Wars/Indiana Jones IPs. Anything that happens with those IPs (movies, toys, video games, birthday party hats) will be money coming back to Disney. What Fox has is a license to make X-Men/FF movies and a portion of that money will still go back to Disney because that's who they're licensing it from.

Just wait until we get Black Panther and Luke Cage in the MCU. They will stick around.

BP needs to just be confirmed for Phase 3 now next Dr.Strange he's the main character I want to see adapted in the MCU, Cage.. I wonder if the actor they cast for the Netflix show is going to appear in the movies as well ?

jax

Banned
Iron_Spider_Armor.jpg

Iron Spider disagrees. To see the events of Civil War go down in film would be amazing. They'd need rights to X-Men too, though.

Very true. They've done a good job switching the centralization around to other characters, but it does feel somewhat empty without all of their franchises.

the few my asshole grease, if spiderman showed up in an Avengers trailer .....the fervor would be earth shattering.

Wolverine too. Talk about hype.

I don't see them killing Rhodes (they may want him around for the inevitable New Avengers spin-off), but considering the Tony Stark angle they're going with for Ultron it makes sense for War Machine to be involved in some capacity.

TDLink

This website has a way out there theory about how Phase 2 and Ant-Man will play out.

The Mandarin & Extremis from Iron Man 3 is supposed play a huge role.

Much of the info comes from Roger Wardell though, so take with a grain of salt.

Personally I find Wardell to be pretty accurate. He's rarely wrong, and when he is it is because plans changed (such as script rewrites). But most of what he states is said long before it is ever announced or revealed to the public...and ends up being true. So I feel pretty confident this kind of stuff is legit. And...it seems pretty awesome so I'm excited.

Recon

Banned
That all sounds pretty bad. Extremis was pretty lame, and more of it and retconning mandarin? Lame lame lame.

TDLink

That would suggest a major retooling of Edgar Wright's original script which worries me. I thought they'd only be tweaking it to better fit with the MCU.

We're not entirely sure what the original script entailed apart from the two Ant Men in two time periods...which this rumour doesn't contradict at all.

eastx

That doesn't sound bad to me. I like the idea of them bringing Hank Pym forward from the 60s into modern times and keeping him around, which would be a possibility if I understand correctly.

neoanarch

Before Rudd became a choice I couldn't think of anyone else for the role. But he seems like the perfect choice. I wonder if they'll blonde him up though.

Can't wait for Nick Frost and Simon Pegg to show up as background uncredited extras.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom