• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel going street level w/ Netflix (Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, Iron Fist)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parfait

I guess i'm a huge baby but I had to take a break after the end of ep 4. Jeez.

Has mortal kombat sfk been edited into any DD footage yet?

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
RUMOR: Benedict Cumberbatch may appear as Doctor Strange in Iron Fist.

tumblr_m592kmFTv51rs11lno1_1280.png

So here’s another from one of my similarly well connected sources, that it is planned that the character of Doctor Strange will make an appearance in Marvel’s Netflix shows.

Specifically Iron Fist.

Whether he will be played by Benedict Cumberbatch as he is in the upcoming movie scheduled for next year, or will be shown in a way that doesn’t need such a high profile actor to be on set, I don’t know. But odds are that the Cumberbatch will at least do the voice.

I may of course be putting the cart before the horse. Devin’s calling out of Bleeding Cool was based on an old script he’d read,not the finished film and equally, Iron Fist hasn’t been filmed yet. But, right now, it’s what I understand is being planned.

Dalek

Holy fucking shit that's awesome. I don't see Benedict being above TV either considering Sherlock. This is really great news.

Sulik2

Holy fucking shit that's awesome. I don't see Benedict being above TV either considering Sherlock. This is really great news.

Lets be honest, Sherlock is better then just about any other media being made at this point, so its not like Cumberbatch is working on a crappy tv show to make the bills. This would have had to have been negotiated in his contract when he signed on for Dr. Strange I imagine.

we may get a proper Defenders mini with Dr Strange

holy shit

How cool would that be. I never really entertained it as a possibility, but that would be amazing if they could get him to co-star just for Defenders. I feel like Cumberbatch more than most would be down for that.

We know Hellcat's in, and she's an actual Defender too. I'd love to see Dr. Strange playing a part, especially a big one.

Do we think Hellcat will have any of her supernatural abilities?

Here are actual comic Defenders that I thin could show up:
Cage and Hellcat are confirmed
Strange is rumored
Valkyrie would be a cool way to connect to Asgard and link Asgard with more mystical stuff
Nighthawk was hinted at a few times in Daredevil in some very subtle ways
Some Fearless Defenders are pretty likely too - I'm sure we'll get Colleen Wing and Misty Knight in Luke Cage and Iron Fist. Elsa Bloodstone would be cool too.

Speaking of Elsa, my current favorite lineup for a new Netflix set of shows is Blade, Ghost Rider (Robbie Reyes with Johnny Blaze already established and a part-time mentor), Elsa Bloodstone, and Moon Knight. Culminating in a Midnight Sons miniseries. Have White Tiger, Morbius, Hellstrom, and Werewolf-by-Night as support characters.

It would be amazing if they could get Doctor Strange to appear in Iron Fist. It's the series I'm most excited in seeing and that would just top it off.

Gambit

To be honest, Iron Fist is the series I am least interested in, so far. (The ranking at the announcement went exactly as the thread title).

Which comics would be a good place to catch up on him a little bit? Solo run?

Sojgat

To be honest, Iron Fist is the series I am least interested in, so far. (The ranking at the announcement went exactly as the thread title).

Immortal Iron Fist.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4

Immortal Iron Fist.

It's collected in two volumes and it's GLORIOUS.

Immortal Iron Fist by Ed Brubaker & Matt Fraction! It's freakin awesome

Joni

They got Samuel L. for Agents of Shield, so I don't see why not.
Samuel L. Jackson has very little lead roles and often does television. Cumberbatch is one of the hottest actors of the moment, with his current main television roles being half movies like Sherlock Holmes and The Hollow Crown. It would be like getting Chris Evans or Robert Downey Jr.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Sam is the biggest whore in Hollywood. He will star in anything.

Which goes on to show what little pull AoS has if they could only get him for a tiny little bit right at the season finale. I'm dead sure most of his scenes weren't even filmed along the rest of the cast.

Ithil

Sam is the biggest whore in Hollywood. He will star in anything.

Which goes on to show what little pull AoS has if they could only get him for a tiny little bit right at the season finale. I'm dead sure most of his scenes weren't even filmed along the rest of the cast.

The issue with AoS is contract based. The actors are signed for movie appearances, not TV appearances, so there are extra hurdles to work out, even for people happy to do anything like SLJ.

That seems a rather decisive verdict. Thank you. Will check it out
They are right that Immortal Iron Fist is the definitive run. I personally enjoy the current run, Iron Fist: The Living Weapon, as well. It's very different from Immortal and not nearly as loved, but on its own it's pretty good.

They already planted the seeds to that stuff in the Daredevil series with
Madame Gao.

Yes I know but its still a big tone difference. Imagine Ra's al Ghul suddenly alive in TKDR talking about the Lazarus Pit and instead of CatWoman we had Zatanna with actual magical powers.

Ronin Ray

Lets be honest, Sherlock is better then just about any other media being made at this point, so its not like Cumberbatch is working on a crappy tv show to make the bills. This would have had to have been negotiated in his contract when he signed on for Dr. Strange I imagine.

I would agree with this until the last season of Sherlock hit

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
http://www.cnet.com/news/halo-and-l...-chris-pratt-netflix-daredevil-jessica-jones/

Mike Colter talks about Marvel's Netflix series.

"I don't want to give too much away about how much he's involved in the 'A.K.A Jessica Jones' show," says Colter, "but Jessica and Luke Cage have a history and a relationship. I don't how much will be revealed in the actual series, but yes, I play an integral part."

Despite this crossover, the four shows will have their own individual flavour. "You might see any characters in the series from one series to the next, but they're stand-alone shows. Each series has their own storyline. It's not a spin-off. People like to use that word or they like to try and connect the two shows but every character that Marvel planned on developing to series -- Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Iron Fist and Cage -- are all separate and they hope to then reunite them in their 'Defenders' miniseries. But that's way down the road."

Despite revolving around a blind vigilante, a former superhero and an indestructible man, realism is a watchword for the Marvel Netflix shows, all of which are set in the Hell's Kitchen neighbourhood of New York. The shows will certainly be more street-level than the colourful, super-powered, gods'n'aliens histrionics of the "Avengers" movies. "We hope to not rely heavily on special effects and CG. You've got some things that are special effects, some stuff that's done to make sure the audience is entertained, but I think a 'less is more' approach will suit these shows.

"There will be action in it but these characters are trying to live normal lives, unlike some of the other characters in the Marvel cinematic universe. Those [Marvel movie characters] are first and foremost superheroes that are on a large platform. They've saved the world. But these [Netflix TV show] characters are really trying to focus on their neighbourhood and New York City. It's a smaller story we're trying to tell."

They may be smaller in scale, but the long-form TV format gives the stories more breathing room than the movies. "There's not a lot revealed right away," says Colter of his experience so far. "It takes time and they peel back layer after layer and episode-by-episode. It's a slow burn, I like that approach."

Even less is known about the final hero to be brought to Netflix, martial arts expert Iron Fist, who made his comics debut in 1974. With this final member of the Netflix quartet still to be cast, I asked Colter if he has any advice for the person who takes the role. "I think the person that they'll cast as Iron Fist will be someone hopefully who is not a tremendous fan. I like the idea that the actors that are cast in these iconic roles aren't so close to the material and they're not such fanboys that they're wrapped up in the idea. Because the idea of it and the actual execution of it can be so far apart."

I was thinking, Daredevil, Iron Fist, and the Defenders can support multiple seasons, but Jessica Jones and maybe Luke Cage seem like they'd be better suited for one-off single season series. That could be cool IMO. Then they could slot in theoretical shows for characters like Punisher and Blade. Have some characters with multiple-season shows and others with mini-series.

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
I was thinking, Daredevil, Iron Fist, and the Defendeds can support multiple seasons, but Jessica Jones and maybe Luke Cage seem like they'd be better suited for one-off single season series. That could be cool IMO. Then they could slot in theoretical shows for characters like Punisher and Blade. Have some characters with multiple-season shows and others with mini-series.
Is Iron Fist suited for multiple seasons? Genuine question. I'm really unfamiliar with that character.

I wonder if they'd ever consider doing a Netflix Phase 2 with something like:

Daredevil, Season 3
Elektra
Heroes for Hire
Moon Knight / Punisher / Something
The Defenders, Series 2

Merge some series to keep most, if not everyone, on board while introducing some new characters as well.

duckroll

Iron Fist as a Mortal Kombat fantasy series based on the material in Immortal Iron Fist has potential for 2-3 seasons. Iron Fist as a street level hero based on a range of material doesn't have much potential for multiple seasons when they can just combine it with Luke Cage to make a much stronger Heroes for Hire series imo.

histopher

Iron Fist as a Mortal Kombat fantasy series based on the material in Immortal Iron Fist has potential for 2-3 seasons. Iron Fist as a street level hero based on a range of material doesn't have much potential for multiple seasons when they can just combine it with Luke Cage to make a much stronger Heroes for Hire series imo.

I really really hope they base it on Fraction and Brubakers run. I would love to see Kaare Andrews latest run done as well.

Getting really anxious about who they are gonna cast too...

Will the success of Daredevil be a game changer in terms of how DC ports their properties onto television? I always thought that a Batman series on AMC could do better justice to the character than what they're doing on Gotham. In fact, the network formula is too constraining, for both Marvel and DC. AoS and Agent Carter will always feel too networky. And with the 20 plus episode count for each season you end up with too much burnout.

Having had a steady diet of original programming from HBO and Showtime, scripted network shows are too hard to go back to, no matter what buzz a network show happens to receive. And I do know that the Netflix CEO was quoted as saying that they wanted to become like HBO before HBO becomes them.

Is it possible that Netflix could someday produce a live DC series? And if not, has the thought probably crossed the minds within the thinktank of DC at some point? I can't be the only one who feels that licensing their shows on the CW and Fox is beneath them. Likewise, will the success of Daredevil prompt Disney/Marvel into rethinking where to have any of their forthcoming shows aired in the future. Imagine an Agent Carter series if it were on AMC, Amazon, or Starz.

Is it also possible that Marvel could end up spinning off some of their MCU characters onto a Netflix series in the future?

Joni

The success of Daredevil can have some impact, but Disney owns ABC and Warner Bros owns The CW. They are pocketing money at every step of the process, something which isn't the case for the Netflix shows where they are losing certain revenue streams. FOX won a bidding war for Gotham, so there were probably other interest parties. As for stuff like AMC, DC has sold them Preacher. We're still waiting on it. They have given TNT Titans, we're still waiting on that too. It is also a question if licensing their stuff to such tiny channels isn't beneath them? Starz gets way less viewers than The CW.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom