• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel makes it canon that its only been 2 years in the comics since 'Civil War'

!!!SPOILERS FOR MARVEL BOOKS FROM 2006 UP TO NOW!!!

From today's Runaways issue:
tumblr_oxnwsa1aKQ1sbe86eo1_1280.jpg

For reference, Gert died in September 2006. The Civil War happened after her death.

So 11 years of comics have happened in about 2 years. This means the following things(and much more) have taken place within weeks or days of each other:

• The civil war between Tony Stark and Steve Rogers begins and ends
  • Thor comes back
  • Hulk coming back from space and laying waste to NYC
  • A cosmic war is fought against the Annihilation Wave for a year which almost reaches Earth before the spacebased heroes and villains can stop it
  • Skrulls having infiltrated superhero teams, SHIELD etc is revealed and a invasion and war is fought
  • Osborn's dark reign begins and ends
  • Ultron takes over a space sector and builds up an invasion force to take to Earth but is defeated by the proto-GotG, Nova, Warlock and Quasar
  • Steve Rogers returns
  • The War of Kings is fought in space
  • The siege of Asgard is fought
  • An invasion of corrupted heroes and villains from another universe begins out in space and ends with Star-Lord and Nova Prime keeping a resurrected Thanos from returning to the normal universe
  • Daredevil takes over and loses Hell's Kitchen
  • Hercules stops the Chaos King from destroying all of reality
  • Odin's brother comes back and razes parts of the US and the world in the Serpent War that ends with Bucky and Thor dead
  • Bucky and Thor come back
  • A schism forms between Scott Summers and Logan
  • Everyone in NYC gets spider powers for a day
  • Xavier dies in the war between the Avengers and X-Men
  • Ultron kills humanity before time travel fixes everything
  • Thanos attacks Earth while the Avengers are off in space
  • A massive cloud of terrigen is released to create new inhumans
  • The Watcher is killed
  • Wolverine is encased in adamantium and "killed"
  • The Red Skull steals Xavier's brain, becomes Red Onslaught and is defeated
  • Steve Rogers loses his superpower serum and is reverted to an old man
  • Dozen of spider people from around the multiverse teams up to survive
  • A 8 month timeskip happens
  • The multiverse is destroyed and rebuilt
  • A 8 month timeskip happens
  • Scott Summers dies
  • SHIELD, the multiple Avengers teams and the Thunderbolts fight
  • Steve Rogers is returned to being a young guy and it's revealed he's loyal to Hydra
  • The second civil war is fought between Tony Stark and Carol Danvers
  • Inhumans and mutants fight over if its right to destroy the terrigen cloud that's killing all mutants or not
  • A monster invasion happens
  • Steve Rogers reveals his Hydra army
  • A timeskip happens during which the US becomes fully Hydra, inhuman work camps are established, the mutants republic of New Tian is established in the US and all superheroes are trapped in either space or in NYC
  • Las Vegas is destroyed
  • Steve Rogers goes on a hunt for fragments of a Cosmic Cube with his Avengers while AI!Tony Stark does the same
  • Steve Rogers is defeated by a copy of himself who doesn't believe in Hydra who's created by the fixed Cube
  • Logan breaks out from his adamantium shell and goes on the hunt for Infinity Stones versus Loki

In-universe the Marvel universe's superheroes came to the forefront 13-14 years ago when the Fantastic Four went to space(so all stories set between them coming back with powers from 1961 onward took place during like 12 years).

Just thought it would be fun to list what everyone went through.

kiguel182

As someone outside the comics those events seem like fun to read but also incredibly dumb and impossible to follow given they are probably spread through dozens of books.

Comics are fascinating.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
They probably have a channel dedicated to just news about the world almost ending.

oon

Banned
That's....a bit much.
Spider-Man was bitten at the age of 15 - so he's not even 30 in the current timeline....?
They could've padded this out by just a few more years, really....

Afrodium

Banned
This is pretty much the norm for comics though. It will never make sense how the characters in comic books live through all the stories that they've been in for 50+ years, or how any of it makes sense in a normal timeline. Just roll with it.

If that all happened in 2 years

Does that make the heroes incompetent for letting all that happen in a short timespan

Or does that make villains incompetent for lasting so little

ZeoVGM

Banned
That's kind of amazing.

But yeah, no one should be worried about time in comic books. It is what it is, just ignore it.

Rvaan

Banned
And then there's the people who have to clean up all the constant destruction.

According to Spider-Man: Homecoming there's an entire US Federal Agency dedicated to cleaning up after an alien attack so I would imagine that those people are paid well.

caliph95

Shit like this is why you should ignore comics timeline

I love how new 52 had it that it was only 5 years since the formation of the jl and early years of heroes. Then books like Green Lantern seemingly kept their continuity since it was one of the more popular books and written by Geoff Johns

Meaning Hal being an experienced lantern and having two replacements, Sinestro invasion of earth, all the paralax shit with Hal destroying the corp and Kyle bringing them back, blackest night etc happened in about 5 years along with Batman various robins

The years must be busy

Kevinroc

According to Spider-Man: Homecoming there's an entire US Federal Agency dedicated to cleaning up after an alien attack so I would imagine that those people are paid well.

Damage Control. An idea that came from the late Dwayne McDuffie.

mreddie

If I remember right, Waid's 2013 Hulk run established that Secret Invasion was only 6 months ago.

But then Janet mentions being trapped in the microverse for almost a year.

In the 75th anniversary book, the F4 being launched to space was 8-10 years ago from the current timeline?

And now this.

Where's that sliding timeline from Ultimates?

EDIT: Oh right the 8 month timeskip...wait did that even matter?

Just Steve Rogers being Hydra is still more stupid than all those events happening in 2 years. It would still be more stupid even if all those events happened in 2 months.

Rvaan

Banned
Shit like this is why you should ignore comics timeline

I love how new 52 had it that it was only 5 years since the formation of the jl and early years of heroes. Then books like Green Lantern seemingly kept their continuity since it was one of the more popular books and written by Geoff Johns

Meaning Hal being an experienced lantern and having two replacements, Sinestro invasion of earth, all the paralax shit with Hal destroying the corp and Kyle bringing them back, blackest night etc happened in about 5 years along with Batman various robins

The years must be busy

Batman going through all those Robins, Batgirls, and various other sidekicks in 5 years will never stop being funny. New year, new sidekick.

Savitar

Timelines have been called sliding scales for a reason, it's impossible to make a time line make utter sense unless they plan it out month by month but very few comics operate on real time. None in America I think, the only one I know of is Judge Dredd. One year here is one year in comic time.

Marvel really doesn't care about their timeline, or most of their connected universe, it seems. They constantly let books released at the same time contradict one another, and I think it's only helped me lose interest to current Marvel and it's state.

If those original F.F. comics happen 11-14 years ago in universe...I can't wrap my head around that. One of the main problems of shared universe is that these works are inhertely linked to the time of their release so trying to create a sliding timescale later is nonsensical. Those early F.F. books are pretty steeped in their time period, for example.

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
I read that this morning and thought that too. Do we know for a fact that the new book takes place in 2017 though.

Kevinroc

I'm glad we're talking about this and not the fact that
Tony Stark sent a group of teenagers their friend's head in a box.

So 11 years of comics have happened in about 2 years.

In-universe the Marvel universe's superheroes came to the forefront 13-14 years ago when the Fantastic Four went to space(so all stories set between them coming back with powers from 1961 onward took place during like 12 years).

So we're at 56 years in real time since the FF were formed. If the entire Marvel Universe only advanced 13 to 14 years during that same period, then the conversion rate is roughly 4 years of real time = 1 year of MU time, which means that the last 11 years of real time converting to 2 years of MU time isn't all that far off from the usual. A bit more truncated than usual, but not surprisingly so.

The entire MarineFort battle in One Piece took place in a single day.

The entire Android and Cell Sagas took place over about 10 days.

The entire Buu saga is about 2-3 days.

Comics can be funny with time by being a static medium.

Mesoian

So Vegas was basically ruined twice within 15 months of each other?

That...

I mean this is why comics are bad right? The fact that none of the writers can agree on this stuff?

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Surely some of that stuff happened in the 16 months of time skip surrounding Secret Wars. Else all that stuff happened in 8 months of time rather than 24 months. World Ending events coming daily.

Rootbeer

Banned
It is pretty crazy, but then you remember Franklin Richards exists which can explain just about anything especially when it involves time.

So Vegas was basically ruined twice within 15 months of each other?

That...

I mean this is why comics are bad right? The fact that none of the writers can agree on this stuff?

It's not a condemnation of the media, but more the "big event" hype, which requires company-wide synergy of timelines and canon and power-levels, and requires frequent resetting of the status quo because writers have wildly different opinions on where character arcs should go.

Top Bottom