• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Spider Man 2 | Review Thread

What Scores do you think Spider Man 2 wil get?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Hot5pur

Without clicking, how is that similar looking? One image has 3 cars loaded in, the other about 50.

Textures better, lighting better, npcs in the background better, clearly much more activity and making it look like a living breathing world.

Yeah, you know, basically the same if you're fucking blind.
I think it's ok for people to have different opinions. It looks like a nice update to the engine, like a Spiderman 1.5. Hopefully when it comes to PC it will have even better graphics to elevate it to that "2" level at high framerate as well. We'll see.

Gudji

Probably won't be buying this for a long time - kinda burned out from the previous two games - but I'm happy for insomniac. Can't wait to see what they're cooking with Wolverine.

Sethbacca

I think it's ok for people to have different opinions. It looks like a nice update to the engine, like a Spiderman 1.5. Hopefully when it comes to PC it will have even better graphics to elevate it to that "2" level at high framerate as well. We'll see.
There's a difference between having a difference of opinion and just living in an alternate reality where we don't acknowledge that some people clearly don't have fully functioning eyeballs.

Hugare

Edge looking at the MC score like

soon GIF

ungalo

The game awards are just an outgrowth of how the games media views these games. Unfortunately, there's a level of politics to it, which is why it's still possible for Starfield to get a nomination. The scores don't line up with it, and there's plenty of games that are viewed better both critically and fan-wise, but the media might feel obligated to give Xbox this nomination; it's likely to be their last major chance for a while.
Were you saying that for Ghost of Tsushima, Death Stranding or Control ?

It's the same people that select the nominees and vote for the GOTY. Each outlet chooses its own nominees, the most selected games are the nominees, there is no conspiracy.

3liteDragon

Last edited:

skit_data

So we've three possible GoTy contenders.

Baldur's Gate 3
Tears of Kingdom
Spider Man 2

My money is on Baldur's Gate 3.
Same. I think they have bigger chance to win due to being somewhat of a unexpected critical success whereas the others were more of a known quantity.

We pretty much knew TOTK and SM2 would be really great games but Larian managed to bring a pretty hardcore genre into the the mainstream conciousness. They are also a little bit of an underdog by being a independent studio that quietly built a monster of an RPG by listening to early access customers. Perfect recipe for being worthy of GOTY awards in my book.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Here is a side by side of 2 vs. remastered.
Overall looking better, but quite similar. Definitely like the lighting more in the new one.

Things of note (for those who don't want to watch)

- The overly harsh darks of the first game are gone
- Spider-Man is higher poly (quad)
- Water has seen a tremendous upgrade
- Ray tracing has seen a very noticeable upgrade
- Foliage has seen a tremendous upgrade
- Combat is much improved
- Environmental textures are more dense/rich
- NPCs behave a bit more dynamically, but it's pretty close to the original. That said, there are far more of them and traffic on the screen at any given time.

Last edited:

ProtoByte

Were you saying that for Ghost of Tsushima, Death Stranding or Control ?
Yes.
Ghost is explainable because 2020 wasn't that competitive for the industry.
Death Stranding because the games media wanted to prop up Kojima post-Konami breakup, and 2019 wasn't competitive enough either. Same goes for control.

It's the same people that select the nominees and vote for the GOTY. Each outlet chooses its own nominees, the most selected games are the nominees, there is no conspiracy.
Conspiracy doesn't mean "fake", it means people working together. I don't think they're necessarily colluding behind the scenes, but they talk to each other, and you find that most of them play along to the tune of the concert. That's why I said "industry politics".

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
Death Stranding because the games media wanted to prop up Kojima post-Konami breakup, and 2019 wasn't competitive enough either. Same goes for control.
Funny how DS with it's 'silly and strange concpets' became WAY MORE RELEVANT after it's release. As always with Kojima.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
As long as I don’t play as MJ or have to fix Miles’ ghetto ass electric wiring on Christmas Eve, then the game is a 10/10.

The parts where you aren’t doing Spider-Man things are what holds these games back from perfection.

Can’t wait to play Friday!

Last edited:
It'll end on 90 I think as there's 119 reviews already, there will be what, another 25 reviews?

EDGE (lords) will give it their obligatory 6 or 7/10 as it's a Sony exclusive, but apart from them you'd need mostly 8's from the majority of that remaining 25 to drag it to 89...

So mission accomplished for Insomniac, this'll sell 30m copies 😉

Last edited:

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Anyone read anything about the dualsense features used in this game?

Yeah they drain the controller battery life quicker than anything else. Sounds like it's constantly giving you some sort of feedback effects.

And they can be adjusted in the options menu.

Last edited:

Arsic

Really really really drives home to me how far Naughty Dog has fallen. Insomniac is now undisputed best studio Sony has, and the industry GOAT for pushing technology.

RT at 60fps, seamless loading, and all this visual fidelity in open world ?

All without crunch or 7 year development cycles.

THIS should be the standard.

Loxus

Really really really drives home to me how far Naughty Dog has fallen. Insomniac is now undisputed best studio Sony has, and the industry GOAT for pushing technology.

RT at 60fps, seamless loading, and all this visual fidelity in open world ?

All without crunch or 7 year development cycles.

THIS should be the standard.
Naughty Dog hasn't released their next-gen games yet, which we'll most likely see towards the end of the generation.

Last edited:

Karak

Yeah they drain the controller battery life quicker than anything else. Sounds like the it's constantly giving you some sort of feedback effects.

And they can be adjusted in the options menu.
It does. I discussed it in mine. Easily the most draining game so far. It's hilarious. But cool if you are into that stuff and works well because a lot of the mini games revolve around them.

Last edited:

Arsic

Naughty hasn't released their next-gen games yet, which we'll most likely see towards the end of the generation.
Who cares ? By then Insomniac will have done:

New Ratchet and Clank
RC on PC
Spider-Man 1 and miles on PC
Spider-Man 2
Spider-Man 2 on PC /maybe expansion
Wolverine game
Likely wolverine on pc too

All by the time you MAY get a game from ND.

If I’m Sony I’d be going into insomniac and trying to inject this streamlined methodology into ND asap.

Last edited:

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
It does. I discussed it in mine. Easily the most draining game so far. It's hilarious. But cool if you are into that stuff and works well because a lot of the mini games revolve around them.

What'd you think the estimate was without adjusting anything? 3 hours? :messenger_grimmacing_

ungalo

Yes.
Ghost is explainable because 2020 wasn't that competitive for the industry.

Conspiracy doesn't mean "fake", it means people working together. I don't think they're necessarily colluding behind the scenes, but they talk to each other, and you find that most of them play along to the tune of the concert. That's why I said "industry politics".
When you say it wasn't competitive you implicitly mean it was not undeserved. So you're not really saying the same thing. Perhaps 2020 or 2019 weren't big years but if i use the metrics you're using i could find games that had a far better reception.

You're still projecting something as "industry politics" then find elements to corroborate your theory, whether or not it's a straight up conspiracy, meaning there is a deeper meaning behind the nomination of certain games that we can predict. In my opinion it's not a rigorous reasoning and can only lead to double standards (although of course it's a very tempting thing to do). If it was really important to give every first party publisher its share why FH5 wasn't nominated in 2021 ? It would hurt the awards to give a racing game a nomination ?

You're not even waiting for Starfield to be nominated you're saying if it's not it would be fair and if it is it's because of industry politics. I'm sure you can see how biased it is.

Top Bottom