• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Spider Man 2 | Review Thread

What Scores do you think Spider Man 2 wil get?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Funny how Insomniac got away with using the exact same logo as the band A Perfect Circle except mirrored.

NMwUCHA.jpg
Huh, good eye. Lawsuit incoming! :messenger_grinning_sweat:

IG_logo_timeline.png

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Seems your gut feeling was wrong on this.

image.png

Direct link to the dev's comment on era: https://www.resetera.com/threads/marvels-spider-man-2-–-review-thread.775337/page-22#post-113553404
i find it hilarious that people are so thick that it needs to be explained to them that you can cancel out the load. It immediately clicked with me that if you cancel the hold, the game returns to the menu instead of putting you in the middle of a half loaded level.

I swear nerds used to be smart. That was our one redeeming quality.

Forspoken loads in under a second from the main menu. its so fast its actually feels abrupt because of the lack of fade in and fade out. on PC too. so do gran turismo tracks. Miles did too. simply going from one point of the map into an other in an open world game when you are already in there obviously shouldnt take that long.

Mr.Phoenix

This makes me want to cry. I'm so happy. :)

I've stopped buying games in the first week, but I may have to do it for this one. Even if I delay playing it until the 3rd or 4th patch.
I don't buy games within the fist we either, hell I usually dont buy till lie 3-6 months in. But I usually hod out on buying at least one full-price game around the launch window every year. At least one...

This year, this would be making my 3rd one...:messenger_sad_relieved:

i find it hilarious that people are so thick that it needs to be explained to them that you can cancel out the load. It immediately clicked with me that if you cancel the hold, the game returns to the menu instead of putting you in the middle of a half loaded level.

I swear nerds used to be smart. That was our one redeeming quality.

Forspoken loads in under a second from the main menu. its so fast its actually feels abrupt because of the lack of fade in and fade out. on PC too. so do gran turismo tracks. Miles did too. simply going from one point of the map into an other in an open world game when you are already in there obviously shouldnt take that long.
I remember optimizing some UI back in the day for a client. This was when phones used to impose a delay in the click handlers of 350ms, so the effect was you felt a bit of lag when moving through menus. We used some other handler logic to override the click, and issued it immediately when the link was touched. We also optimized the backend to cache common pages on the browser after a quick eTag check. The effect was, when you clicked a filter for a search, the new results appear, the filters you were interacting with changed, so it clicked those also. It was so quick, no one could tell it was loading multiple times, and by the time you lifted your finger, the results were not what you expected. We had to add back in delays and small hints.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
The conversation is a bit more nuanced than this.

Insomniac not reaching 90+ metacritic for their games till now is felt unfair as many feel that most of their games which deserved it, missed it by a smidge or two for silly reasons. Hence why everyone seems excited for them to finally reach that pinnacle. For example, the main criticism of Tools of Destruction was that 'there was too much variety'. Some publications were really ridiculous back then with their ratings.

FWIW, NaughtyDog is my favourite studio but there's no question that Insomniac has literally carried the PS5 this generation. They've release 5 games this generation. 5. All quality titles. Haven't seen anything net new from Naughty Dog this generation.

Remember last generation they released how many games; like 3 or 4? Seems like they'll barely get 1 this generation. It just seems a bit low output, given how much they used to produce.

But maybe they're going the GaaS route, in which case.. more power to them.

Does NaughtyDog own their IP, or does Sony? I thought Sony owned NaughtyDog, therefore all IP is now Sony's IP - tbf I don't know how copyrights work. Isn't Spiderman also owned by Sony, not Marvel?
Reviewers get critical on the dumbest shit and then give a pass for the same "sins" in other games. It's why I mostly ignore all reviews for the most part.

Gamers relying on MC too is a shame, unless you're like 12, you should know better than to allow an aggregate to have that much weight on whether you'll play a game or not.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
But I thought giving the option to fast travel via menu maps to the next mission was terrible design? Thats what's starfield done wrong, I thought? Now it's being celebrated?
Why are you even comparing the two?

In Spider-Man, you can either swing to the place you want to go or fast-travel to it.
In Starfield, you cannot fly to the place you want to go. You can only fast-travel to it via multiple clicks on multiple menu screens. That was the issue.

Cashon

Banned
Angry I never played SM original/remaster or MM.. .I have em but but now I don't want to play these shitty old gen games with this around the corner lol
This is a terrible take.

Try to stop letting yourself get swept up in hype. Spider-Man Remastered on PS5 also has Ray-tracing, fast-loading, etc... It's basically the same. If you're interested in playing this one, go play that one. The gameplay experience will largely be the same while the story, obviously, will be different. And it's a story worth playing through.

Then play Miles Morales in December. Then play 2 next year.

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
This is a terrible take.

Try to stop letting yourself get swept up in hype. Spider-Man Remastered on PS5 also has Ray-tracing, fast-loading, etc... It's basically the same. If you're interested in playing this one, go play that one. The gameplay experience will largely be the same while the story, obviously, will be different. And it's a story worth playing through.

Then play Miles Morales in December. Then play 2 next year.
yeah I might do just that

All these "" reactions to my comment.

You'd think I killed someone's cat rather than pointing out an inaccuracy (while still wildly praising the tech).
NGL when I saw this feature demoed I thought the same thing. That hold to confirm could certainly "hide" a quick load. If it was then I don't see what the issue would be, it would still be impressive.

Sleepwalker

Angry I never played SM original/remaster or MM.. .I have em but but now I don't want to play these shitty old gen games with this around the corner lol

Watch the youtube movies, you have 4 days so its doable. I wouldn't bother playing those 2 games so close to this one, it'll just make you burn out before this releases.

I can't really get over the fact that there's a second Spider-Man and it's annoying that Miles flails his arms and legs around when swinging but whatever, I'm so very very excited for this game. Looks sick!

Sethbacca

I can't really get over the fact that there's a second Spider-Man and it's annoying that Miles flails his arms and legs around when swinging but whatever, I'm so very very excited for this game. Looks sick!
It makes sense, Miles is the new kid with the powers struggling to get control, Peter is the mentor figure. Myself, I'm thankful for the little design details that differentiates the two.

Top Bottom