• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Vs. Capcom: Infinite Characters and Stages Roster |DT2| oh dear...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seyavesh

And if they flew him up everyone would call him a shill.

if they had paid people would go MAX IS IN CAPCOM'S POCKET

i mean if they're giving him specific preview footage and direct access to the game that's most of the way there anyways for that line of logic

payin' for his plane ticket is like the least they could do given how he's basically been doing most of the pr work for them, including letting people know what's even in the game or how it works

DR2K

Banned
A lot of love for MvC2's roster is dripping with nostalgia. Over half the roster was X-Men and SF, and tons of characters were extremely weird choices for representation.

It was a great game, but that roster banks on quantity over quality.

Being an X-MEN character doesn't devalue what the character brought to the table. Neither did the lack of IP diversity on Capcoms side. Lots of unique looking and playing movesets.

Keits

Developer
The way Gamora says 'Carol Danvers' is one of the worst things I've ever heard. I do not understand the direction on her voice acting at all. Did the director ask the actress to sound as bored as possible, while also putting accents on the strangest possible parts of the word or phrase?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
welp, Summerslam was a shitshow, but at least I have a new Max and a new Tyrant videos to watch :/

DR2K

Banned
The way Gamora says 'Carol Danvers' is one of the worst things I've ever heard. I do not understand the direction on her voice acting at all. Did the director ask the actress to sound as bored as possible, while also putting accents on the strangest possible parts of the word or phrase?

Don't know why they couldn't use the voice actress from tell tales GOTG game

Neoxon

Don't know why they couldn't use the voice actress from tell tales GOTG game
Marvel usually opts to use VAs from their then-current current cartoons for MvC games. The same applies to MvCI. Though in this case, the delivery is more of the voice director's fault than Vanessa Marshall's.

Being an X-MEN character doesn't devalue what the character brought to the table. Neither did the lack of IP diversity on Capcoms side. Lots of unique looking and playing movesets.
But he's not wrong about MvC2 being WAY too X-Men/SF-heavy. UMvC3 had much better representation across all of Marvel despite some then-glaring omissions (Black Panther & Carol Danvers, for example).

.la1n

You're assuming Capcom actually paid for a voice director.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
I know it's only tangentially related at best but I gotta shill this video every chance I get.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GdFJcDsA8o
Gets me every time.

Street Fighter V: Arcade Edition, Super Street Fighter V, or Street Fighter V-2-3|5 Square-Enix edition. We know what we are going to get eventually if X-Kira is right! :p
Street Fighter Versus XIII Duodecim NT 5.6/3 Days RE:FinalMIX X Tekken is never coming out. ;_;

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
new UM Tyrant video, not what you expect, its a "thank you for watching guyz, and btw, I know I use zero and dante a lot" video

still, him and MAx are hooking us (us the community) up big time so I thought I should post it.

JeTmAn81

I've been futzing with React Native and I'd like to try building an app with it. Anybody interested in an MVCI app with movelist and combos? I haven't heard if there's anything official planned.

This may be the only point in the entire thread where a function joke might actually be funny.

To be fair, I understand WHY the game was so heavy on those two IPs, the game ported premade characters from Street Fighter and prior Marvel games that started with a heavy X-Men bias. Most of those characters did not "replace" other characters.

However, even acknowledging that it serves to highlight some really bizarre choices by Capcom prior to MvC2... like their strange choices in Marvel villains for example (Blackheart? Shuma Gorath? Spiral? Silver Samurai?).

It also makes no sense that characters like Cable and Marrow were added over Thor or Punisher or any of a dozen mainstream popular Spider-Man villains. Or that Capcom wasted space on original characters over, say, Arthur or more Mega Man characters or anyone from Rival Schools.

MvC2's roster is not a good roster. It's padded for numbers, doesn't well represent either publisher, and several of its characters are pretty barebones in the movelist department.

UMvC3 has an undeniably better roster of characters... unless all you care about is X-Men and Street Fighter.

There were five shotos, two Guiles, two Iron Men, and two Wolverines.

HardRojo

Just watched that Max video from a few days ago discussing mechanics and how chaotic the game can get. As soon as I saw those tag mechanics with the Active Switch and the Counter Switch I knew this shit wouldn't be more accessible for casuals than UMvC3, you don't even have the LMHS magic series, that alone will make it harder for casuals to get into the game, and now with all the crazy shit you can do with the new tag mechanics... lol, casuals are going to have a hard time getting out of those left/right and high/low mixups. Do you remember those mixups MarlinPie used to do with Doctor Doom while Ammy's super was still active? Imagine several characters having access to something similar and more often per match. This game won't be easy at all for casuals unless they simply play among themselves exclusively, and even then there will be some who'll begin to understand the game and stomp on their friends.

FSLink

Banned
The only thing I really like about this game's voice acting is like a few characters and everyone yelling out POWER/TIME/REALITY/etc STONE. I know some people will be annoyed by it but I like it.

Everything else though....geez. Did they think it'd sound more "cinematic" or something? Because it's an awful choice to make everyone sound so bored.

Also the announcer isn't impressive but it's not terrible at least.

Also UMvC3's roster is one of the best of all time. Great variety of movesets (lol functions) and a good balance of legacy characters and new characters.

Rhaknar

in the latest UM Tyrant video, Captain Marvel does a move called proton absorbsionm and she gets a little energy field around her. Wonder if that leeches meter, or even health (phoenix style) when near opponents?

DR2K

Banned
This may be the only point in the entire thread where a function joke might actually be funny.

To be fair, I understand WHY the game was so heavy on those two IPs, the game ported premade characters from Street Fighter and prior Marvel games that started with a heavy X-Men bias. Most of those characters did not "replace" other characters.

However, even acknowledging that it serves to highlight some really bizarre choices by Capcom prior to MvC2... like their strange choices in Marvel villains for example (Blackheart? Shuma Gorath? Spiral? Silver Samurai?).

It also makes no sense that characters like Cable and Marrow were added over Thor or Punisher or any of a dozen mainstream popular Spider-Man villains. Or that Capcom wasted space on original characters over, say, Arthur or more Mega Man characters or anyone from Rival Schools.

MvC2's roster is not a good roster. It's padded for numbers, doesn't well represent either publisher, and several of its characters are pretty barebones in the movelist department.

UMvC3 has an undeniably better roster of characters... unless all you care about is X-Men and Street Fighter.

If you're looking for IP representation UMVC3 has many bases covered. Game play department is an entirely different situation. Minus bone claw wolverine/Warmachine everyone had a full unique moveset. Spiral was so unique and complicated that they couldn't even translate that over into 3D for example.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

Yup, UMVC3 roster is pretty excellent in term of variety and diversity of game plays and characters. That's why I'm okay with them bringing many characters from UMVC3 because of that.

Wishy thought: 30 characters via base roster, 6 DLC for 2017, 12 characters for 2018 and 2019. It would push the numbers to 60 for the roster.

FSLink

Banned
in the latest UM Tyrant video, Captain Marvel does a move called proton absorbsionm and she gets a little energy field around her. Wonder if that leeches meter, or even health (phoenix style) when near opponents?

It gives her some super armor for a bit. Done with down down + kick

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
why do you do this to yourself Intel?

unless you mean 12 overall for both years.

Because I'm crazy optimistic. Not really, it's just a dream numbers but I don't really expect it to happens tho. On serious matters, it's really depends on MVCI's leg on term of sales and how well Character Pass 2017 would sell. I strongly believe that we are going to get more contents next year but if they didn't sell enough then I guess they might end the support earlier than they would expected.

It's all speculations on my end since I like to think and trying to figure out the math there. I'm curious to see if they could handle 12 characters for a year, considering that they bumped into rough patch for Street Fighter V.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
Yup, UMVC3 roster is pretty excellent in term of variety and diversity of game plays and characters. That's why I'm okay with them bringing many characters from UMVC3 because of that.

Wishy thought: 30 characters via base roster, 6 DLC for 2017, 12 characters for 2018 and 2019. It would push the numbers to 60 for the roster.
I somehow doubt that they'll be able to make 12 new characters per year. I wish.

Rhaknar

I somehow doubt that they'll be able to make 12 new characters per year. I wish.

well to be fair to Intel's ridiculous pipedream, there are A LOT of UMVC3 characters to pull from. Like say they made 6 new and brought back 6 from 3 a year.

Dahbomb

Hard to be optimistic about DLC a year down or more away. Especially when the base product is of questionable quality at the moment.

Rhaknar

well to be fair... they did 12 brand new dlc characters in 9 months for Marvel 3...

...technically :p

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
well to be fair to Intel's ridiculous pipedream, there are A LOT of UMVC3 characters to pull from. Like say they made 6 new and brought back 6 from 3 a year.

It's not really that ridiculous mainly because I can't really imagine getting three marvel characters and three capcom characters per year since it would make the pace feel somewhat more slower, and especially the contracts with Marvel is expensive.

Also I already thought of 6-8 veterans and 4-6 newcomers would make sense since you would have a lot of fan favorite from old games to push forward with other characters. If we actually got 12 characters coming then I wonder how much they would charge for Season Pass? or would it be theme packs?

I don't think 12 characters a year (especially if its 6 new and 6 veterans) is too unrealistic.

I think they'll also release 2 characters (one Marvel, one Capcom) together (maybe every other month?), since I don't think they'd release DLC one by one.

But if it was 12....how much would it cost a season pass.....

EDIT: I did not see you said that already intel.

12 characters a year is definitely realistic. Especially if they do 3 packs of four characters like I said.

I can see the final roster being 72 after all is said and done, though I think Capcom might intentionally want to stay away from that high a number for both balance and accessibility's sake.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
12 characters a year is definitely realistic. Especially if they do 3 packs of four characters like I said.

I can see the final roster being 72 after all is said and done, though I think Capcom might intentionally want to stay away from that high a number for both balance and accessibility's sake.

I would like to see 72 as final roster but I highly doubt we would arrive at that numbers but why would they want to stay away from the numbers? I meant many casual players and fans are more likely to move on like a year or two years after the game came out.

Rhaknar

yup, because all fighting games get 42 characters as DLC, especially from super healthy companies like Capcom...

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
yup, because all fighting games get 42 characters as DLC, especially from super healthy companies like Capcom...

I think we are in a weird situation because of this article so I'm not sure how many characters would be enough for the game. I suppose it might be for best if we didn't look into this too deeply.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...games-why-they-dont-make-em-like-they-used-to

Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite is one such project that looks to apply the lessons of games-as-a-service to the console side. But it's a particularly unusual one as it gives Ong the chance to see things almost from the other side of the licensor-licensee equation. Just as Marvel has to worry about how Spider-Man or Captain America is portrayed in the game, so too will Capcom be protective about its own stable of characters like Street Fighter's Ryu or Mega Man. As one might expect, the two companies' priorities are not entirely aligned on every last issue.

"It's something I really can't comment on right now," Ong said. "We haven't officially released the roster. Let's just say we think our fans will be pleased with what's being announced. And what we talked about earlier with games-as-a-service, we certainly expect Marvel vs. Capcom to be that. There's going to be content released over time. We're not seeing this as a one-off that ships this fall; it's a service that goes on for years. Therefore, if you look at it, content and new characters are going to be dropped over time, and I think fans will be happy with what's going to be dropped, not just in September but going on from there."

In that sense, Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite encapsulates much of the new approach for Marvel Games. The series began as a one-off X-Men arcade game with a port for consoles, but has grown broader over time, first crossing over with Street Fighter and then broadening each brand into its respective owner's larger portfolio. By the time Marvel vs. Capcom 3 launched in 2011, Capcom had begun experimenting with downloadable content in the form of two characters and an assortment of costumes. These days, much as the new game's name implies, the possibilities for expansion of the roster, for fans to keep playing, and for both the developer and licensor to benefit, are Infinite.

At the end, it's all depends on how well the game would sell, and how much people purchase Season Pass 2017. Digital attachments is more likely to matters at most this time to justifying their future development.

Rhaknar

dude youre posting an article that says multiple times "fans will be happy with whats dropped, not only in september..."

because fans are extactic about the launch roster right?

It baffles me the importance you guys seem to give to obvious PR statements, I've never actually seen this with any other game before. You take everything as super literal, the thirst is super real I see.

SFV's getting nearly all of its profit from DLC, so we never know. I said a while ago that I'm expecting this roster to at least be doubled via DLC, and now that we have 30 characters, I especially expect that now.

SFV is also going to get at least 24 DLC characters (likely 30) by the final year of support, and SFIV got 27 from arcades to Ultra. Hell, UMvC3 was going to have 20 characters just over a year after launch had the earthquake not caused development issues. 42 is out there, but it certainly isn't outside of the realm of reality, especially if you think of it as "12 characters a year" like Capcom is probably seeing it rather than "42 lifetime characters".

patchday

So Capcom has publisher weekend going on. Just happened to take a peek at SFV steam reviews and its aflame with downvotes. I hope MvCI doesnt meet this same fate I wonder how it will be received or perhaps SFV just has the strong hate train from the poor launch? I only came back to SFV purely to play through cinematic story mode then left right after.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom