• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Vs. Capcom: Infinite Characters and Stages Roster |DT2| oh dear...

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is no denying that Leon is depicted much more cooler and over the top than Chris.. I mean just check out RE Vendetta.

Chris does some cool stuff on his own but Leon just ups the ante and goes cuuuuraazzy.

Its like Dante himself decided to fight against zombies. Not to mention the charisma, cheese, wit and attitude of Leon is light years higher than Chris.

steve-martin-happy-tears.gif

:)

Dahbomb

Leon is like half ass Dante at best.

I mean the guy definitely pushes it as a mere human but at the end of the damn he is only human. And thus Dante will forever out crazy and style him.

Leon killed a giant alligator on his first day as a cop.

Also ran up a wall and dodged lasers.

2 El Gigante's weren't even a match for him.

Leon is like half ass Dante at best.

I mean the guy definitely pushes it as a mere human but at the end of the damn he is only human. And thus Dante will forever out crazy and style him.

Read the above two quotes. Those are just two reasons among the myriad of reasons why Leon is the bomb.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I actually laughed out loud at the posts on the last page hoping for an eventual 60+ character roster.

Although maybe that's feasible if they just crank out as many low-effort MvC3 character transplants as possible.

I actually laughed out loud at the posts on the last page hoping for an eventual 60+ character roster.

Although maybe that's feasible if they just crank out as many low-effort MvC3 character transplants as possible.

I agree.

Marvel VS. Capcom as we all know it, is sadly a thing of the past.

Marvel vs. Capcom 2 and even Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 spoiled us :(

They need to just delay this until all the DLC would become the inevitable Ultimate Edition and just release that - so everyone is satisfied with the full roster.
You want this game delayed 3-5 years just to add the DLC characters?

You know that if they couldn't charge for them, we just wouldn't get them past Season 1, right?

I know I'm joking because the Capcom CEO said after SFV bombed that will delay games if they needed to and here we are.
TBF we don't know what the situation is with Marvel and Capcom's contract. The game may have been signed to a rigid release window before SFV came out and underperformed.

I feel like if the situation was reversed (MvCI first, then SFV), SFV would possibly have been delayed for polish.

I just had a though so I'm going to drop it here and see what people think about it.

What if Winter Solider is a NPC, just like Death?
We'd likely see Bucky as DLC in that case. As we've seen with SFV, when Capcom goes through the effort of modeling and voicing an NPC for the story mode, they likely have bigger plans for that character.

Neoxon

We'd likely see Bucky as DLC in that case. As we've seen with SFV, when Capcom goes through the effort of modeling and voicing an NPC for the story mode, they likely have bigger plans for that character.
Even then, only Kolin & Ed became playable of SFV's Cinematic Story Mode NPCs, and their models were redone from scratch for their playable incarnations. There aren't even any rumors pointing towards Abel being playable.

uppercut

Neo Member
I'll just say this: I doubt it'll do 2 million.

Sometimes it feels like the fans care more about this series than Capcom does. I know that Capcom obviously wants their game to do well, but they've been doing everything in their power to turn people off from getting it. The only thing it has going for it is gameplay, which ain't enough to move 2 million copies.

Everything about this game (sans gameplay) seems so flat. Seeing that E3 trailer and the overall presentation makes me wonder how anyone could've believed that was acceptable. Marvel has been talking about their commitment to quality in their licensed games, but I can't tell.

Other than acting like head in the sand politicians, I don't understand Capcom's behavior at all. Shoving bland characters at us and acting like it's the greatest thing in the world is insulting and it's become tiresome.

I appreciate Combofiend's efforts and input to MVC:I but movesets and gameplay aren't going to sell this game alone. You need exciting characters to play. Even taking into consideration the limbo status of X-Men/FF, there is a wealth of characters from the marvel comic book universe and Capcom games to pull from.

If Capcom wants stronger pre-order sales they need to step up their marketing. If for whatever reason they don't want to reveal more of the roster at this point, start giving us serious hints about what's coming. Capcom needs to give gamers/potential customers more confidence that they have heard us and are trying to give us the game we want/deserve.

Jawmuncher

Yeah the marketing has been total shit. It's pretty bad when you're being showed up by Smash Brothers, despite having a comic company tied to your title.

Like this is the sort of stuff I felt like we'd be seeing by now. Especially 3 months out. It should feel like a celebration. Hopefully those upcoming comic covers and such fix things, but considering the current look of the box art. I'm not holding much hope.

It's little things like this that help a lot

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Have no idea how this game will do TBH.

For some reason the backlash doesn't feel nearly as bad as it was for SFV as an overall package, people knew that was a shell of a game going into it and they've marketed MvCI explicitly (and even put SFV down) to target those concerns, but they haven't shown a sizzle reel of all the modes, and post-Chun debacle, the time for general audiences caring is waning. Also, with the Polygon article and all, people were told not to support this game from the jump and it struck and emotional nerve with people's feelings about Capcom, and you see that sentiment across core gamers. To that shitty article's credit though, we still haven't seen that stuff so the skepticism is somewhat warranted.

Seems like the core FGC are mostly on board after VS demo footage/details came out, and the people screaming the loudest weren't going to buy it anyways and are the usual that have ill will towards Capcom. Tastemakers and popular media outlets like Max and Joe are positive, but not necessarily overly enthusiastic, which is where people's concerns about a heavy DLC focus, roster/X-Men, and aesthetics can push people over the edge to say, y'know? Maybe down the line but not right now at full price.

Overall, it feels like there's a net negative reception the game even beyond hardcore gamers. But bomb to the degree that SFV did? I don't think so. Perhaps MvCI is the true test of Capcom's brand strength, if SFV wasn't already. You've got a much healthier package than SFV was with a lot more effort put into it, but do people care anymore or how willing are they to look past the negatives?

Do people even know it has lobbies, gallery mode etc. at launch or was that all tucked away into text and show floor interviews that a small contingent read? And even if they did, there's a somewhat warranted cynicism that paints expectations of Capcom fulfilling their promises.

Tl;dr: Underperforms, probably not as bad as SFV.

DR2K

Banned
Game should be free 2 play if they're super serious about this service model.

I'd also go the loot box (Overwatch) route and add characters/content for free if they want to charge $60 for a smaller game.

BadWolf

Yeah the marketing has been total shit. It's pretty bad when you're being showed up by Smash Brothers, despite having a comic company tied to your title.

Like this is the sort of stuff I felt like we'd be seeing by now. Especially 3 months out. It should feel like a celebration. Hopefully those upcoming comic covers and such fix things, but considering the current look of the box art. I'm not holding much hope.

It's little things like this that help a lot

It's kinda hard to have a celebration when the dev's primary concern seems to be how much money they can get out of fans post launch.

I-hate-u

Game should be free 2 play if they're super serious about this service model.

I'd also go the loot box (Overwatch) route and add characters/content for free if they want to charge $60 for a smaller game.

The Overwatch model is perfect for fighters. All the characters and maps are free, while all the cosmetics are obtained to lootboxes and credits from duplicates.

When's Blizzard fighting game? I am going to die of old age waiting for Capcom to do something pro-consumer like that.

Neoxon

The Overwatch model is perfect for fighters. All the characters and maps are free, while all the cosmetics are obtained to lootboxes and credits from duplicates.

When's Blizzard fighting game? I am going to die of old age waiting for Capcom to do something pro-consumer like that.
Doesn't Overwatch get a lot of shit for how they handle loot boxes?

Skilletor

Sure they do, but it's still a much better system the SFV one that charges u 6 bucks per character.

I hate lootboxes personally. I value my time.

There's enough characters and content in SF5 now that you can earn characters pretty reliably. If I don't want to grind, I prefer being able to spend money on exactly what I want.

I mean, MvC2 was pretty much made with transplants from just about every Capcom figher thrown in. So it does have precedent.

I-hate-u

I hate lootboxes personally. I value my time.

There's enough characters and content in SF5 now that you can earn characters pretty reliably. If I don't want to grind, I prefer being able to spend money on exactly what I want.

That's a good point. I play so much Overwatch that I get enough credits to buy every skin I want.

The thing is they are offering the content that affects the game (characters/maps) for free. Characters are obviously the blood of a fighting game, and they should be accessible to all imo.

Skilletor

That's a good point. I play so much Overwatch that I get enough credits to buy every skin I want.

The thing is they are offering the content that affects the game (characters/maps) for free. Characters are obviously the blood of a fighting game, and they should be accessible to all imo.

/shrug

Take that to fighting games in general, then. No game out there is offering characters for free.

The DOA5 f2p route is great too.

A free to start system would work really well with these games (all fighters, imo) for sure.

kirblar

OW-style loot systems require a much larger playerbase ecosystem than FGs have.

Paying for expansions is perfectly fine as a model.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Doesn't Overwatch get a lot of shit for how they handle loot boxes?

At least Blizzard is listening to the fanbase and makes adjustments as they go along such as earning lootboxes faster or reducing dupe rates.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Outside of Arcade mode, most of SFV's worst problems were solved by December.

Lets not kid ourselves SFV is still a total mess. Ridiculous loading times for everything.

Game still needing to restart for patches, something no other modern game does.

Hour long maintenance downtimes, another thing unheard of for most modern games.

I can find a match in Overwatch with 11 other people faster than I can find one opponent in SFV.

Dahbomb

First of all Overwatch does not put characters behind Lootboxes, it's only cosmetics. That's a massive difference between general fighting game models these days and Overwatch.

Secondly, we already have lootboxes in the FGs... it's called Injustice 2. And that game also charges you for characters so it's taking the shit stuff from both sides of the spectrum for maximum greed.

Thirdly, do not compare Capcom products to Blizzard products. Just sit down and be humble.

You want to know why Overwatch is more successful than SFV? It's not content, it's not FPS vs fighters, it's not the model. It's the fact that every second in Overwatch from the minute you boot up the game to you starting to play the game is fluid, polished as fuck and quick. The guy above me is not kidding, I can easily play a bunch of matches in Overwatch before doing so in SFV... I don't even have time to react and go get a drink in between matches in Overwatch. And I don't even play Overwatch or am a big fan of shooters these days.. but there is a world of a difference in the polish of Overwatch vs SFV.

Kashiwaba

Lets not kid ourselves SFV is still a total mess. Ridiculous loading times for everything.

Game still needing to restart for patches, something no other modern game does.

Hour long maintenance downtimes, another thing unheard of for most modern games.

I can find a match in Overwatch with 11 other people faster than I can find one opponent in SFV.

SFV experience varies from one player to another, since the new the cfn update i can get matched with another player in casual or ranked matches in less than 40 seconds most of the time, and for the loading time i think Tekken 7 (which somehow no one mentiones it's long loading times despite being worse than SFV) proved it's UE4 problem.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
SFV experience varies from one player to another, since the new the cfn update i can get matched with another player in casual or ranked matches in less than 40 seconds most of the time, and for the loading time i think Tekken 7 (which somehow no one mentiones it's long loading times despite being worse than SFV) proved it's UE4 problem.

Same here. I usually find the matches pretty fast but i have heard about some people having rotten luck with it.

Arttemis

Lack of Vergil makes me so sad!

Not a fan of the art style, but I'll eventually get it, likely when they bundle the DLC characters with the game for a discount.

The fact that these topics are filled with doom and gloom and any time a news topic is posted, it appears to exist solely for "this game is shit" drive by posts, tell me this game is going to bomb hard. If GAF posters are slightly more knowledgeable than your average gamer (they maybe seek out some positive impressions of the E3 demo) and they still post this way en masse, I can't imagine how the general public will react. The social media echo chamber of trashing this game will only grow even if they fix the faces or whatever else the next perceived issue is. It's the "a woman decides within the first 30 seconds of meeting a guy if she's going to sleep with him" cliche (or truth) in gamer form. It's what happened to the XBox One release.

Bronetta

The fact that these topics are filled with doom and gloom and any time a news topic is posted, it appears to exist solely for "this game is shit" drive by posts, tell me this game is going to bomb hard. If GAF posters are slightly more knowledgeable than your average gamer (they maybe seek out some positive impressions of the E3 demo) and they still post this way en masse, I can't imagine how the general public will react. The social media echo chamber of trashing this game will only grow even if they fix the faces or whatever else the next perceived issue is. It's the "a woman decides within the first 30 seconds of meeting a guy if she's going to sleep with him" cliche (or truth) in gamer form. It's what happened to the XBox One release.

I'm gonna say this before someone else does: NeoGAF isnt always an accurate predictor of commercial success.

HOWEVER with that said, there is an air of negativity surrounding this game which will be very hard to shake off by launch and will cripple the game's sales potential if Capcom can't turn the narrative around.

This game definitely doesnt seem to have resonated with the mainstream either. If they're going for the casual MCU fan, why would they buy this for $60 and then pay another $30 for the season pass when they can just play the mobile game for free.

I'm gonna say this before someone else does: NeoGAF isnt always an accurate predictor of commercial success.

HOWEVER with that said, there is an air of negativity surrounding this game which will be very hard to shake off by launch and will cripple the game's sales potential if Capcom can't turn the narrative around.

This game definitely doesnt seem to have resonated with the mainstream either. If they're going for the casual MCU fan, why would they buy this for $60 and then pay another $30 for the season pass when they can just play the mobile game for free.

I do wonder how they can even attempt to turn around the negativity at this point. Like, what could the possibly do this close to release?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom