• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Avengers is doxxing people, revealing IP addresses on-screen

The ride never ends!

Today’s patch has a bug that shows your Gamertag, the date and time, some other numbers and most significantly your IP address onscreen as a string of floating text that bounce from location to location as you play.

I would take a screenshot to show what I’m talking about, but I don’t want to dox myself, so here we are. The obvious warning here is that if you are planning on streaming the new Avengers update, absolutely do not. Do not even turn the game on after this patch on stream, as I believe this shows up as soon as the main menu. Not that Avengers has some massive streaming community, but yeah, sure, there are probably hundreds, thousands of people who may have been planning to stream today’s update, so this is a big deal.

Honestly, this is one of the worst bugs I’ve ever heard of. People getting ahold of your IP address can cause all manor of havoc with your internet connection with DDOS attacks, or potentially get their hands on other information. I don’t know what the other string of numbers that appears alongside it due to this bug is, but I imagine that can’t be good either.

To me, this feels like a DEFCON 1, shut the servers down completely situation. There’s no telling how damaging this could be, and no one is going to know about this problem unless they are keenly attuned to specific social media accounts (like mine) because not even the official Avengers account is saying the bit about the IP address, at the time I’m writing this. They have to pull this patch down, if not shut the game off entirely until this is resolved.

Stay tuned for updates as hopefully this is something that can be hotfixed in record speed, because it’s really that bad. I am probably going to be playing the update in the meantime because I am not streaming, but still, it is absolutely absurd that this was allowed to happen.
tLaGaMZ.jpg

Hinedorf

Banned
I'm so very glad I stopped playing this after the first few months of torture. For all of the talk about how bad Cyberpunk was, this game deserved it's own lawsuit.

This isn't a new game, and it's STILL BROKEN

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Hahaha.

The only time I've seen an IP address bug is the old ass Yahoo Finance message boards 20 years ago during the dot com craze. For a couple hours people's posts had their IP address some reason tag onto the thread title. Then they fixed it.

You could then see which people were using multiple aliases. lol

TrueLegend

At this point, this game is a teenage audience fanfest and its failure is providing more entertainment to adult gamers than the game itself.

MiguelItUp

The game is probably on maintenance mode without any QA resources. Square probably tried to cheap out and now got themselves in massive trouble.
Possibly. It's just wild to think of because in my experience at both studios, absolutely no patch goes out without running through a smoke test and few test plans to ensure it's GTG through and through. I mean, it's fairly standard practices for QA, especially in the industry. Be it a QA team of 10+, or 3-5. Crazy, lmao. I don't think it's THAT big of a deal, but it's still amusing nonetheless. I feel like it was in dev mode or something and they missed that and set it live anyway.

Last edited:

rubhen925

The game that keeps on giving. What a hot mess this game turned out to be. Glad I bailed after finishing the main campaign. Awful

Last edited:

GymWolf

The shit that keep on stinking.

Simply put, the most bugged game i ever played in my life.

This must be the worst waste of a big brand in videogame history.

Too bad because the core combat wasn't even half bad.

Last edited:

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Is it showing other people's IP's when you're in a party? If you're only seeing your own IP, I don't know how this is doxxing. Well I guess maybe for the two people who stream it and the one person who's watching.

Yoboman

Reminds me of when FO76 players started getting banned for playing too much. Kind of enjoy how the few loyal supporters of these awful games get punished for it

Reminds me of when FO76 players started getting banned for playing too much. Kind of enjoy how the few loyal supporters of these awful games get punished for it

Vince Vaughn GIF

A player on Reddit got banned for duping. His claim was that they banned him because he played for 900 hours. Here's the letter:

sHRxrnKXL9dGnhsCUUCvom-970-80.jpg

At that point in the game, there was zero chance you're getting that much ultracite ammo without duping/hacking(if you're a beta male and play on PC). People love to claim that X company banned them for no reason, except there usually is a pretty good reason. He also deleted his Reddit account shortly after all this happened. Just because some fats(Jim Sterling and others) made a Youtube video about a guy on Reddit lying, and then portraying it as truth and using it as a negative against the company is shameful. Corporations are people too!

anthony2690

Banned
I played this on the series x and really enjoyed the campaign, didn't think to much off the end game as it was pretty barren for other players, so dropped it pretty quickly.

But the single player experience up to that point, was great I thought.

Guess I'm in the minority or because the game wasn't on my rader prior to the update/sale, so I didn't have high expectations etc :p

Yoboman

Vince Vaughn GIF

A player on Reddit got banned for duping. His claim was that they banned him because he played for 900 hours. Here's the letter:

sHRxrnKXL9dGnhsCUUCvom-970-80.jpg

At that point in the game, there was zero chance you're getting that much ultracite ammo without duping/hacking(if you're a beta male and play on PC). People love to claim that X company banned them for no reason, except there usually is a pretty good reason. He also deleted his Reddit account shortly after all this happened. Just because some fats(Jim Sterling and others) made a Youtube video about a guy on Reddit lying, and then portraying it as truth and using it as a negative against the company is shameful. Corporations are people too!
Leave my headcanon alone

Call this "doxxing" is to stretch a lot.

It is very amateurish, but you can not tell exactly where a person is with just the ip address.

j0hnnix

Gold Member
Damn I hate to be Square Enix. I enjoyed the campaign, played very little end game but the small updates for the new avengers are fun to play.. I did get this on a deep sale so i have no issues with the cost and time played.

Sucks they completly dropped the ball in QA, it's bad for a small subset of streamers who broadcast everything while they are in a hot tub.

Soodanim

Gold Member
You told someone your first pet's name and they used it to reset your password = HACKED

Someone looked at your very public profile = STALKED

A piece of information that doesn't contain information about you as an individual such as real name or address = DOXXED

I'm so very glad I stopped playing this after the first few months of torture. For all of the talk about how bad Cyberpunk was, this game deserved it's own lawsuit.

This isn't a new game, and it's STILL BROKEN
At least without the Bugs Cyberpunk is a great game. The Avengers is just bad all-around

Quasicat

The game that keeps on giving. What a hot mess this game turned out to be. Glad I bailed after finishing the main campaign. Awful
You did me one better by finishing it. I got it a few months after launch, played it for and hour and said, “I’ll wait for the next gen patch.” That came out and I realized I have other games I would rather play. It just sits there taking up hard drive space…but I know I’ll get to it someday. 🙄

rubhen925

You did me one better by finishing it. I got it a few months after launch, played it for and hour and said, “I’ll wait for the next gen patch.” That came out and I realized I have other games I would rather play. It just sits there taking up hard drive space…but I know I’ll get to it someday. 🙄
Quick delete it before its too late 🤣

Spidey Fan

Banned

We are close to this at this point. Posting people's IP is not a joke. These companies are breaching people's privacy. If we let this go, we will end up in shit dystopia.

Top Bottom