• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Avengers - PS5 vs Xbox Series S|X - Graphics Comparison & FPS Test

OsRSd7V.gif

I'm not the one calling NXGamer NXGamer a console warrior. Even though he responded one I don't think he would make that up. Unlike Joe he's actually running a channel and has that gig with IGN.

JackMcGunns

That's a massive drop, resolution wise for PS5 here.

It doesn't count this time :pie_zipper:

Insert excuse here ____________

Funny thing is, Control dev talked about the tools being the biggest differentiator between platforms, and right now because Xbox tools have changed, unlock with the PS5, they had to reword a lot of their code, but as time goes buy and tools mature and devs optimize, the gap is only going to get bigger.

Old Empire.

Funny thing is, Control dev talked about the tools being the biggest differentiator between platforms, and right now because Xbox tools have changed, unlock with the PS5, they had to reword a lot of their code, but as time goes buy and tools mature and devs optimize, the gap is only going to get bigger.

PS5 version dropping as low as 1080p, since there no output on PS5 for 1440p, i believe? Series X is a dynamic 4K, almost 4K native at 60 frames. That's a sizeable difference in pixel count, a bit unexpected.

skit_data

I wont argue wether there being an actual power difference between the two, but;

that is most definitely not what he said.

Last edited:

JackMcGunns

I wont argue wether there being an actual power difference between the two, but;

that is most definitely not what he said.

It's not? I'll put it in writing and let's interpret it together:

He said:

Sony basically stuck with what "works" while MS opted to changed quite a lot of things, which in the long run are good, but it's just a bigger hurdle for us early on since we got to re-write a bunch of things to really take advantage of specific features, and that's not a huge negative, it's just what software development is like, but that explains some things, there's all this discussion about Teraflops this and that, but ultimately the tools matter so much more.

Let's break it down by parts:

1) Sony stuck with what works while MS changed things - means there's a bigger learning curve for Xbox since there's familiarity with Sony's tools.

2) The changes MS made will be beneficial, but right now they need to rewrite some code in order to take advantage of specific features - emphasis on "specific features that Series X has, probably talking about Mesh Shaders, VRS, SFS and other XSX specific features.

3) Ultimately the tools matter so much more than the difference in power - confirming once again that what's dictating the difference right now are the tools.

I'm no genius, but I don't think it takes one to understand what he's saying.

Last edited:

The gap will only grow in favor of PS5. Once open world games start coming out that require massive data streaming, XSX struggle against PS5.

Plus this El analysta video is fake as NX Gamer already called him out on his fake chart. I am not even sure why anyone trust that guy.

skit_data

He said:

Sony basically stuck with what "works" while MS opted to changed quite a lot of things, which in the long run are good, but it's just a bigger hurdle for us early on since we got to re-write a bunch of things to really take advantage of specific features, and that's not a huge negative, it's just what software development is like, but that explains some things, there's all this discussion about Teraflops this and that, but ultimately the tools matter so much more.

1) Sony stuck with what works while MS changed things - means there's a bigger learning curve for Xbox since there's familiarity with Sony's tools.

2) The changes MS made will be beneficial, but right now they need to rewrite some code in order to take advantage of specific features - emphasis on "specific features that Series X has, probably talking about Mesh Shaders, VRS, SFS and other XSX specific features.

3) Ultimately the tools matter so much more than the difference in power - confirming once again that what's dictating the difference right now are the tools.

1. ”Stuck” in this case has two meanings, one means ”sticking to”, the other means ”stuck, wont change”. I suspect you interpret it in the latter way.

2. Quite a liberal interpretation on the term ”specificic features”. I interpret this as development will in the end be easier since development for several platforms will be unified into the GDK. It will be easier to develop games for the Microsoft ecosystem in time due to their unification of the GDK. Its pretty bad now, but in time it will get better. There is untapped power in the features you mention no doubt, but its not locked behind the tools. Its locked behind designing games from the ground up to take advantage of these features, and the same applies to PS5.

3. So now tools are what matters more than anything else? Well there is one company that made quite a big deal out of providing a developer friendly enviroment when they initially presented their hardware and it wasnt Xbox.

Last edited:

Banned
- In FPS mode, for the first few minutes of the game, the PS5 resolution varies between 3840x2160 and 2560x1440p, but as soon as we get to the Quinjet and start missions with more open and loaded spaces, the usual resolution becomes dynamic 1920x2160p, while on X Series it stays at dynamic 3840x1836p. In this case, there is a clear advantage in the Xbox version.

wait, so it switches over to checkerboarding if it drops too low? that's actually clever

Last edited:

JackMcGunns

1. ”Stuck” in this case has two meanings, one means ”sticking to”, the other means ”stuck, wont change”. I suspect you interpret it in the latter way.

2. Quite a liberal interpretation on the term ”specificic features”. I interpret this as development will in the end be easier since development for several platforms will be unified into the GDK. It will be easier to develop games for the Microsoft ecosystem in time due to their unification of the GDK. Its pretty bad now, but in time it will get better. There is untapped power in the features you mention no doubt, but its not locked behind the tools. Its locked behind designing games from the ground up to take advantage of these features, and the same applies to PS5.

3. So now tools are what matters more than anything else? Well there is one company that made quite a big deal out of providing a developer friendly enviroment when they initially presented their hardware and it wasnt Xbox.

99a.gif

Banned
The gap will only grow in favor of PS5. Once open world games start coming out that require massive data streaming, XSX struggle against PS5.

is there evidence for this? the loading times on almost every game released on both are very similar, to the point of being a back and forth even.

is there evidence for this? the loading times on almost every game released on both are very similar, to the point of being a back and forth even.
I am not referring to loading times. I am talking about data streaming in open world games or where there is fast movements. Example is AC Valhalla and Immortal Fenyx Rising both open world and both have higher resolution on PS5.

Now that doesn’t mean it will happen in every game because I expect XSX to be better in linear tunnel games. Remember that UE5 demo only used 800 MB of RAM on PS5 because all the work that is reserved for RAM was done by the SSD and you saw towards the end where the main character used fast movement to get from one point of the world to the other.

Banned
I am not referring to loading times. I am talking about data streaming in open world games or where there is fast movements. Example is AC Valhalla and Immortal Fenyx Rising both open world and both have higher resolution on PS5.

Now that doesn’t mean it will happen in every game because I expect XSX to be better in linear tunnel games. Remember that UE5 demo only used 800 MB of RAM on PS5 because all the work that is reserved for RAM was done by the SSD and you saw towards the end where the main character used fast movement to get from one point of the world to the other.

what the fuck does the render resolution have to do with data streaming? (spoiler: nothing) are you one of those people who have absolutely zero idea what they are talking about but just throw around random tech terms in order to fanboy around?... if so please stop.

So summary so far

• Series x trounces the ps5 in resolution but there are still the band of warriors that favours the ps5 because it does not drop a couple of frames in a random part of the game
  • Another group is out to try and discredit any videos which show the ps5 versions in a negative light
  • Probably most of the people in this thread wont play this game even though its not as bad as what its made out to be

Rea

what the fuck does the render resolution have to do with data streaming? (spoiler: nothing) are you one of those people who have absolutely zero idea what they are talking about but just throw around random tech terms in order to fanboy around?... if so please stop.
Data streaming does have to do with the higher fidelity graphics though. That's not me saying, it is said by blue point devs. I suggest you watch the DF interview with blue points devs.

Arun1910

Had this on PC originally then switched to PS5 for Spider-Man (who was supposed to come out March 2021 but it's been pushed back to 2022 lol).

Nice to see the Next Gen updates looking clean. Both updates are a massive improvement from their last gen counterparts.

Not sure what's up with the PS5 resolution numbers but I don't notice anything horrible about it.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force

He's talking about what we saw in the Unreal Engine PS5 demo. He's saying games that require large amount of assets to be streamed in will favor the PlayStation 5.

assurdum

Banned

He said:

It's all right, but the true point is where he said the gap with the two console will become bigger? Where are the hardware number for it? It's tiring read all the same narrative without any concrete fundament.

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
So summary so far

• Series x trounces the ps5 in resolution but there are still the band of warriors that favours the ps5 because it does not drop a couple of frames in a random part of the game
  • Another group is out to try and discredit any videos which show the ps5 versions in a negative light
  • Probably most of the people in this thread wont play this game even though its not as bad as what its made out to be
A couple of frames based on what? ElAnalist videos? Because his tools are completely broken (supposing he really uses one, I wouldn't be surprised if it's all fake)

Last edited:
You should be careful with Elanalist video. His resolution and framerate are not to be trusted. For the resolution DF already counted 1800p CRB on average during combat (and that was done by Alex who is not a Playstation fanboy, far from it) and his last framerate video about skyrim with the FPS boost is completely fake (he shows locked 60fps when it can drop to 35fps according to VGTech), so assume it should be the same for that one. Not to be trusted.

MonarchJT

Banned

Plus this El analysta video is fake as NX Gamer already called him out on his fake chart. I am not even sure why anyone trust that guy.
99.9% the opposite will happen and i don't know , in all honesty, what brings a niche of people to think what you wrote a part from gnorance

Last edited:

SirTerry-T

The assets are created outside the PC game SDK.... it is the design team that uses tools not related to game but image (assets related to image).
The game developer team get these assets and import them in the Game SDK in use... the Game SDK has limitation in quality so it convert it to the format, size, quality it can use by the Tool.

If you want the highest quality you will need to get the original files and not the assets that are already imported on the Game SDK Tool.

Unreal Engine 4 is free and you can download it (it is limited to 8k textures I believe even if you have a 16k or higher texture to import it will convert)... create a super high quality asset and after import to the Engine use it... compare the two versions.... it is not hard so anybody that can work on Excel or Word can make the test (you can follow that link: https://docs.unrealengine.com/en-US/RenderingAndGraphics/Textures/Importing/index.html).

Another example... the laser scanned assets from GT or Forza are so high quality that no PC SDK or engine today can´t import or use in the full quality.
You wouldn't use any laser scanned asset "as is" in any game engine. Laser scan data is a multi million mess of tri's, quads and ngons and/or cloud points and textures. It isn't in anyway shape or form an efficient asset for game development. What laser scanned data does give you is a photo accurate starting point.

Last edited:

JackMcGunns

It's all right, but the true point is where he said the gap with the two console will become bigger? Where are the hardware number for it? It's tiring read all the same narrative without any concrete fundament.

So you have 2 hoses with a diameter of 10mm and 12mm. Everyone expects the 12mm hose to pour more water, but they're almost on par in perfomance which confuses people with no experience in gardening. An experienced gardener goes on to explain that what really matters right now is the water pump, then goes on to explain that the engineers of the 10mm water hose used a tried and true water pump that they're used to and matches perfectly with their existing setup and is able to pump water at an efficient level, however the 12mm hose engineers went with an all new water pump that has future potential, but right now they're just not able to get it to full capacity because they'll have to make some changes to their current setup in order to get it there.

Everyone: Cool, so once they get the water pump up to speed on the 12mm pipe, the gap should increase.

You: He didn't say the gap would increase.

Also everyone:

source.gif

Last edited:
Stop fucking tagging me. This is bordering on harassment. I already explained I didn't know that the second Tweet was him but you won't let up.

Just wanted to know your opinion on what he said that's all. Pretty simple to answer.

P.S Just to let you know I haven't insulted you or anything.

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
So you have 2 hoses with a diameter of 10mm and 12mm. Everyone expects the 12mm hose to pour more water, but they're almost on par in perfomance which confuses people with no experience in gardening. An experienced gardener goes on to explain that what really matters right now is the water pump, then goes on to explain that the engineers of the 10mm water hose used a tried and true water pump that they're used to and matches perfectly with their existing setup and is able to pump water at an efficient level, however the 12mm hose engineers went with an all new water pump that has future potential, but right now they're just not able to get it to full capacity because they'll have to make some changes to their current setup in order to get it there.

Everyone: Cool, so once they get the water pump up to speed on the 12mm pipe, the gap should increase.

You: He didn't say the gap would increase.

Also everyone:

source.gif
The only confuse people in the garden are you and a bunch of MS cheerleader, because it's an year that developers repeated the difference between the 2 hardware were far from dramatic, but nope still someone persist in this territory and continue to annoy the developers with the same stupid question and not only, tries to put in their mouths notions who never claimed. The fact he repeated again how TF number doesn't matter at all, should tell enough how his opinions are far away from your assumptions.

Last edited:

Tunnel games? Is that a new genre?

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I just can’t get behind these resolution numbers, I know people that own both versions say the ps5 version actually looks a lot blurrier than the series x and even the text is blurry on ps5 but 70% difference is too much imo. I think it will be closer and we should wait for some other tests.

saying that, people can visually see the difference between the two so it’s obviously noticeable.

Last edited:

Concern

The only confuse people in the garden are you and a bunch of MS cheerleader, because it's an year that developers repeated the difference between the 2 hardware were far from dramatic, but nope still someone persist in this territory and continue to annoy the developers with the same stupid question and not only, tries to put in their mouths notions who never claimed. The fact he repeated again how TF number doesn't matter at all, should tell enough how contrary he is to all the annoying preconceptions as yours.
Ending New Year GIF by Looney Tunes

Why are you so mad again? At least Crash 4 "won"

Season 2 Laughing GIF by The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air

RoboFu

One of the green rats
just wanted to say again that the change in loading has blown me away! On pc it still has long loads but on XsX there is none of those hero pose screens at all. That has made this fake infinitely more playable!

assurdum

Banned
I just can’t get behind these resolution numbers, I know people that own both versions say the ps5 version actually looks a lot blurrier than the series x and even the text is blurry on ps5 but 70% difference is too much imo. I think it will be closer and we should wait for some other tests.

saying that, people can visually see the difference between the two so it’s obviously noticeable.
Just to say eh when avengers was released it had the same difference in res between one X and pro but no one complained about it because it was smoother. Now suddenly this CBR is became a blurry mess when even DF at the times said wasn't that bad at all...

Last edited:
Top Bottom