• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Avengers - PS5 vs Xbox Series S|X - Graphics Comparison & FPS Test

Leyasu

Banned
I am not referring to loading times. I am talking about data streaming in open world games or where there is fast movements. Example is AC Valhalla and Immortal Fenyx Rising both open world and both have higher resolution on PS5.

Now that doesn’t mean it will happen in every game because I expect XSX to be better in linear tunnel games. Remember that UE5 demo only used 800 MB of RAM on PS5 because all the work that is reserved for RAM was done by the SSD and you saw towards the end where the main character used fast movement to get from one point of the world to the other.
Oh dear. You obviously never saw Fenyx post patch DF video. Res and frame rate are the same. Valhalla has probably been patched too.

Your whole argument/theory just fell to pieces

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
I'm really confused about something.

Does the DRS checkerboard upto 4?

Or does it use checkerboarding if the resolution drops to low?

Like DRS down to 1800P and then it switches to check board rendering.

I believe it is using checkerboarding regardless to achieve the target resolution even with DRS.

Topher

Gold Member
Are they doing this because the PS5 can't handle a native DRS?

Or maybe it's something that had from the Pro and they just brought it over.

The same was used in PS4 Pro but whether it is a holdover or simply a necessity we don't know.

I would think PS5 could handle native DRS and simply have a more significant drop to the lower bound, but that is just speculation on my part.

Pedro Motta

lol you speak as if running a multi platform engine is super complicated or something.

just maybe SX has that extra bit of raw power to push for more higher settings...?
And you speak like you know what you're talking about. Running a multi-platform engine is not complicated? Tell that to the Remedy engineers that spent months upon months just to make Control run on the next (current?) gen consoles.

ethomaz

Banned
Not a native PS5 game I take it?
It is a native PS5 game but the resolution code/part is unchanged from PS4 Pro.

I mean just porting to PS5 native won’t change what it was coded for PS4 Pro... just have better performance due the better hardware... devs needs to change things to make it better on PS5.

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
It is a native PS5 game but the resolution code/part is unchanged from PS4 Pro.

I mean just porting to PS5 native won’t change what it was coded for PS4 Pro... just have better performance due the better hardware... devs needs to change things to make it better on PS5.
They have changed things but yeah maybe that part of the code is untouched which is odd

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I don’t believe this is a simple bc port, they’ve changed water effects, physics, textures and more....it’s had more work done to it than any other late port ive seen but for whatever reason the resolutions have stayed the same.

we will need to wait for a more in-depth analysis to understand more. I think the most important thing though is that the difference is really noticeable to the naked eye. The ps5 version looks way blurrier and it’s crazy to think considering Sony has the marketing rights and the spider man deal. You would think they would want that version to be the best it can be.

MonarchJT

Banned
I am not referring to loading times. I am talking about data streaming in open world games or where there is fast movements. Example is AC Valhalla and Immortal Fenyx Rising both open world and both have higher resolution on PS5.

Now that doesn’t mean it will happen in every game because I expect XSX to be better in linear tunnel games. Remember that UE5 demo only used 800 MB of RAM on PS5 because all the work that is reserved for RAM was done by the SSD and you saw towards the end where the main character used fast movement to get from one point of the world to the other.
those games all been patched

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Yes and on Valhalla case they dropped the resolution on XSX even more that original version.

They dropped the lower bound resolution, something many tech people including DF say its best to not get hung up on because games will rarely stay at the low bound res. It's more something that only appears under heavy load and for a a very short period of time.

I think all these launch games and year one games for that matter have no clear bearing on where any of this is going. Covid has been a massive hindrance to development (see how many games are being delayed in 2021) so it's not hard to imagine that most of these recent games are coming in hot with strange quirks. Same for microsofts Tools situation. Sonys tools will also improve, I just think they were in a better position out the gate due to them using the same tools/environment as PS4.

I think both consoles are so close this time that avengers should be running at higher res on ps5, and Xbox shouldnt be having these odd framedrops we are seeing in other games. I like to think that most of these patches are the developer doing the best they can in the window they have.

Ultimately I think both are very close and have plenty more juice available that will be unleashed as we get into year 2 and beyond. We have to remember this generation isnt even 6 months old yet and these consoles have launched in circumstances never seen before. As someone who has been working from home, it's an absolute nightmare. Things will only get better!

Riky

$MSFT
Oh dear. You obviously never saw Fenyx post patch DF video. Res and frame rate are the same. Valhalla has probably been patched too.

Exactly, they are still desperately clinging to launch code as that was good old days. Fenyx is the same and since they are so keen on framerate over resolution Valhalla being smoother on Xbox must sting.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Like DRS down to 1800P and then it switches to check board rendering.
I doubt that.
The simpler (and more likely) explanation is that the the pixel counter in question didn't notice CB in other scenes(when it works, static or slow moving edges will look native).
And then they did in some scenes and called it half-res.

Exactly, they are still desperately clinging to launch code as that was good old days. Fenyx is the same and since they are so keen on framerate over resolution Valhalla being smoother on Xbox must sting.
I've not played it on XSX but Immortals Fenyx Rising still has micro-stutter on PS5 which I never see anyone talk about. It was much improved with a patch but it is still obvious and my understanding is that the XSX version doesn't have this.

It’s still lower than PS5 on Immortals and Valhalla even lower resolution. That was the patch
SbTkEz1.jpg

Top Bottom