• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Daredevil debuting on Netflix on April 10

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are we talking here with regards to how well the action was shot and violence? Winter Soldier, church scene in Kingsman, Jackie Chan in the 80s, or the Raid films

Winter Soldier is probably the best comparison, but with longer takes (and one specifically loooong take) and more opponents like The Raid. It's very methodically paced like the True Detective scene.

There's not tons of blood spatter or anything but dudes are getting broken and busted up like they're enemies in Batman: Arkham City.

Bleepey

Winter Soldier is probably the best comparison, but with longer takes (and one specifically loooong take) and more opponents like The Raid. It's very methodically paced like the True Detective scene.

There's not tons of blood spatter or anything but dudes are getting broken and busted up like they're enemies in Batman: Arkham City.

I am pumped! The thing is, I was looking more forward to the drama rather than the action but it seems that Marvel brought their A game and they are not playing around!

More praise for the stuntwork from MTV's summary of the first few episodes

The stunts are just incredible
- No CGI here, folks: not only are all the fight sequences performed by actual humans, but they’re also filmed beautifully and often in agonizingly intense tracking shots. If the rest of the series is as riveting as these first few episodes, you’re going to be on the edge of your seat the entire time.

Has Netflix stated that this will be streamed in 4K? I got one of those Vizio 4K TVs for Black Friday last year and hoping this will be part of it!

Does anyone know if DeKnight has read the Bendis stuff? I feel like he's only acknowledged Miller in interviews, and I would be bummed if the legendary Bendis run was never adapted within this show.

hamchan

Does anyone know if DeKnight has read the Bendis stuff? I feel like he's only acknowledged Miller in interviews, and I would be bummed if the legendary Bendis run was never adapted within this show.

Someone at Marvel must have sat him down and told him "yo, this is required reading."

Right? Right?

Anyways, that 2000s stuff is perfect for perhaps seasons 3 onwards.

Get bent Faraci!!

But no seriously, these reviews are really encouraging. I didn't know where to place my expectations for the fight scenes, but coming off of Spartacus, I figured DeKnight would probably be able to pull off some good stuff. This sounds really good though and it's also shooting up my hype for the possibilities in Iron Fist.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I've been keeping my expectations in check concerning action scenes but the hype is confirmed after these last few bits posted in the thread.

Bleepey

Of course he has. Charlie Cox said when they gave him the job, the required reading was Man without fear, Bendis and Daredevil yellow to name a few.

http://www.ejscott.com/ej-podcast-063-charlie-cox/

Some notes I did.

0:00 Introduction
4:00 Asks him what it's like to play a lead, compared to other actors who played DD
7:45 Sitting in on a trial, jury service
9:30 what he thought of the Ben Affleck film. Thought the film was not awful, "fun at times" but tonally confused
11:00 Said Jeph Loeb said Joe Quesada apparently thought he was perfect for Daredevil based on his performance on Boardwalk Empire. Talks about the casting process. His character's fake name was Alex Everett
14:00 what he thought about the difference between TV and film writing and film work. Talks a lot about Boardwalk Empire
22:00 talks about trying to get into RADA acting school as well as going to private school
35:00 Talks about being possibly gentry and going to private school, dating as an actor
41:00 His mum
44:00 Talks about applying for drama school and how he got his first job with Tom Hardy, Gael Garcia Barnell and some dude on Agent Carter. Bit on Tom Hardy
50:45: Stardust and working with Pacino and Deniro. Also showbusiness
59:00 His Daredevil prep. He read Daredevil yellow, Man without fear, Daredevil Hardcore (I think the Bendis trade) He go a Marvel unlimited account. Read Bendis/Maleev/Mack to get an understanding. He is confused by comic numbering. Apparently there's now a point system with number. What the fuck is this shit. Read Daredevil father and Guardian Devil. Talks about Quesada
106:00 A wild Deborah Ann Woll appears. There's a scene on a rooftop in the show
109: talks about working with a blind man and acting like a blind man and having to adapt to the TV media. Gives an example of what he'd have to do to showcase his powers and the limitations and strengths of TV and having to work with and against them. Apparently Murdock's glasses are really reflective and that can be a pain in the arse.
116 Talks about meeting Rosario Dawson and Donofrio. DAW talks about her casting and how secretive Marvel are. Talk about the benefit of Platform. Talk about the media training that they got.
123: talks about waiting to see the show and dealing with reviews

Also for potential film influences check out this:
http://www.theothermurdockpapers.com/2015/03/countdown-to-daredevil-on-netflix-cinematic-influences/

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Part of an interview I translated a while ago:

3. Which arcs from the comics inspired the show?

Steven DeKnight: All of them. I’ve been into Daredevil before I even learned how to read. I borrowed a lot from the works of Frank Miller and Brian Michael Bendis – especially because I was a kid who was very impressed by what Miller did back then, and the stories by Bendis fit the style of the show better. It’s something more realistic. And we obviously also took some elements here and there from the yellow Daredevil, a bit from Quesada, but the truth is, we were influenced by all of it.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Arrow and Flash comparisons aren't really fair because they are tonally completely different offerings and excel at being as fun-comic-booky as they feel like.

I haven't seen Gotham or Constantine.

I know that doesn't really help.I'll say that this show is so supremely confident in its material and from what I've seen takes some pretty big leaps in how far it's willing to go to be a "Daredevil" show. There's two scenes in particular that made me say "holy shit" for different reasons: one because of how awesome the fight choreography was (and how it was shot) and another because of how unexpectedly graphic the violence (or one instance of violence) was. If this show was on regular TV it would be more appropriate for a network like FX.

^those excerpts from the Screencrush review are not incorrect.

Please spoil me - Have you seen the classic red costume?
(Dont forget the Spoilertag, I am sure a lot of people dont want to know this ;) )

Quick

Banned
Having just read a majority of the Waid run, I wouldn't mind.

Here Comes Marvel's Daredevil |OT| The Man Without Fear

BLACKLAC

What's the problem with "Marvel's" in front of Daredevil exactly?

I'm going to add my voice to this, if there's no "Marvel's" in the Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. title then no need for there to be one in this.

Except for the fact there is a Daredevil film.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
- Screencrush: 'Daredevil' Is Unlike Anything Marvel Has Ever Done.

Daredevil was well-worth the wait, and breaks the Marvel movie mold with bone-crunching delight. It’s everything Nolan’s Batman never had time to explore, everything Arrow wants to be without network boundaries, and exactly the street-level drama Marvel needs to complete its superhero world.

Excellent.

Another vote for Red is the New Black

+1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom