• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Jessica Jones |OT| A.K.A. Marvel's A.K.A. Jessica Jones *spoilers for S1*

TheOddOne

- THR: 'Jessica Jones': Krysten Ritter Discusses "Conflicting" Finale and 'Defenders' Team-Up.
How did you feel about her choosing to kill Kilgrave instead of getting him locked up?

I thought it was this triumphant, victorious moment that she really deserved. In episode 10 where Hope Shlottman finds her demise, that was the moment where it all changed. The real driving force for Jessica was to clear Hope's name. Jessica saw a lot of herself in Hope, a young, innocent girl with no one to stand up for her, so Jessica felt like if she could save her, she could rectify a lot of what she'd been through and find some moral justice and finally close that door. But when Hope was no longer in the picture, it was almost like she had to kill him for Hope's sake. Enough was enough.

That last shot of the finale, with Alias Investigations' phone ringing off the hook with potential clients, was such an open-ended way to end the season. Where does this leave her?

I found that really conflicting. On the one hand, killing Kilgrave was the end of this chapter. But then, what does that mean for her? It's not like all the pain and trauma she went through just evaporates. It doesn't go away just because he's dead. He gave her such a sense of purpose. He was the reason why she left the house every day. So, what happens next? How does she deal with "success?" How does she move forward, no longer hating herself? That will be interesting to see. How does she realize the full potential she has?
There's some time until Jessica joins The Defenders, but how does it feel knowing that that's where you're heading?

It's like hitting the lottery in terms of a gig. It's rare to get a part in a show that's greenlit, let alone two shows that have been greenlit. Everyone is so close-knit already on the crew. Mike Colter and I are super close, I've gotten to know Charlie [Cox] a little bit just because we've happened to cross paths in production. But I'm really looking forward to it. With the success of Daredevil and now Jessica Jones, they're both so wildly different, and Luke Cage is going to be groundbreaking. Marvel and Netflix have proven they know what they're doing. But it will be interesting to see how Jessica Jones fits in with those other guys because she doesn't want to be a superhero. She doesn't want anything to do with that. I have no idea how she's going to be forced to team up with all of them.

Brilliant show, one that I liked overall more than Daredevil despite DD being more consistent. JJ's highs were just phenomenal, that last episode is phenomenal.

I wish we were getting a second season sooner rather than later, not a big fan of some of the open ended stuff regarding IGH as who knows if we're even going to get a season 2.

Alpende

I finished it yesterday and thought it was pretty good. The show really started to click around episode 7 or 8 and couldn't wait to see how it would end. The interactions between Kilgrave and Jessica were good and Kilgrave is probably the best villain out of all MCU villains that have appeared so far. Dude was just straight up evil. I also liked how they tried to make you feel sympathetic toward him and they succeeded in that.

The fight scenes weren't all that great imo. The fight scenes in Daredevil felt more visceral and real while these didn't feel like that for some reason.

Luke Cage is a badass.

Just finished this. I'll admit in the beginning I really wasn't feeling it. Acting was terrible and lot of the lot of the plot seemed tropey and predictable. Was seriously thinking about dropping it but I didn't have much else to do so I kept at it and honestly it grew on me and I found the second half of the season to be quite excellent.

The best part of the show is Jessica and killgrave and their relationship. These two have great chemistry together and the cat and mouse scenario between them was excellent, and took the show in a lot of interesting directions I didn't expect. Killgrave was a fantastic villian and had a perfect blend of you liking him and just straight up despising him. He was handled 1000x times better than kingpin who I thought was terrible in DD. I also like how Jessica's powers worked. She was much stronger/faster than the average human being but not to a crazy extent, though I do feel what she was capable of was a bit inconsistent. In some scenes she can handle half a dozen men with ease while in other scenes 3 people can overpower her.I also liked how they ended with Jessica killing Killgrave ass oppossed to capturing him which is the route I thought they were going to take.

Now aside from the flaws I mentioned earlier I think the fight/action scenes were pretty terrible. The one exception being the Patsy/Jessica fight vs Sampson. But all the others were terrible choreographed. Also the skepticism regarding Killgrave's powers was a bit too much for me. This is a world where you got the Avengers running around, hell in that very same city alien invaders from another dimension rained down, yet a dude who can control other peoples mind (even though there's an Avenger with similar powers) is where everyone draws the line? Despite dozens of witnesses???

All in all I enjoyed it. Not that hyped for season 2 but I am looking forward to more of these guys in Defenders.

hydruxo

Finished the season last night and I'm feeling a bit mixed towards it

Pros:
-Acting was pretty damn good all around (except for a few characters)
-Dynamic between Jessica and Kilgrave was fantastic and really engaging
-Dark and gritty atmosphere; usage of purple in scenes was cool
-Mike Colter was great as Luke Cage
-Some intense moments with Kilgrave

Cons:
-Jessica's obnoxious redhead neighbor. Seriously that character should've been axed from the show entirely. Just awful.
-Fight scenes were weak.
-Final encounter was disappointing
-Will Simpson could've been done better I think. Not necessarily a complaint I just feel like there was more potential there.

Overall I think it was an enjoyable show but I liked Daredevil better. Krysten Ritter did a really good job as Jessica. I'm not necessarily hyped for any future seasons but I'd check them out for sure.

Slaythe

Even though i liked it... Killgrave Is what kept me going and forgave the flaws.

I m Not tuning in for season 2 without him.

The show had some amazing highs that it made the terrible lows like episode 11 more apparent. I disliked all the side characters whereas I actually cared about the world outside of the leads in daredevil. The fight scenes in daredevil also spoiled me.

Fewr

I liked this a lot. More than DD I think. Some questions:

1. Since which part does Kilgrave control Luke? Probably from when they met and onwards.

2. Why would the headphones with loud music work for Trish if it's supposed to be a virus? Also, why wouldn't they design earphones that capture sound and pass it through? Like a filter.

3. When the man kills himself with gardening scissors, is Kilgrave around? I didn't notice. Has anyone checked?

4. Did the antidote work? Was Kilgrave's father controlled or was he doing things on his own will?

I liked this a lot. More than DD I think. Some questions:

1. Since which part does Kilgrave control Luke? Probably from when they met and onwards.

After the scene with the bus driver, but before he went back to her place.

2. Why would the headphones with loud music work for Trish if it's supposed to be a virus? Also, why wouldn't they design earphones that capture sound and pass it through? Like a filter.

The virus makes you do whatever he says, if you can't make out what he is saying then you cannot follow the command. Plus he was directing the commands at Jessica if that counts as well.

3. When the man kills himself with gardening scissors, is Kilgrave around? I didn't notice. Has anyone checked?

I didn't see him. It was probably a delayed command after he completed his task.

4. Did the antidote work? Was Kilgrave's father controlled or was he doing things on his own will?

No the antidote didn't work. I doubt he would have let Kilgrave place his hand in the blender, or work him half to death if that was the case. Plus he gave Jessica a look that he was still being controlled when they tested it.

See above

Fewr

Thanks for the answers.

When I saw the blender scene I thought he was still pretending, but it became less likely given that he could have killed Kilgrave when injecting him, and seeing what the other two did to him.

As for the man with gardening scissors, I think later there is a part in which Kilgrave says he could have been seen by Jessica, but I didn't bother to watch it again and look for him.

eastx

I think it's a valid point. Kilgrave really pushed the show along and without him they'll need to find an equally compelling villain or set of villains for the next season. Easier said than done.

I don't think treating it as the Kilgrave show and literally rejecting the titular character is a valid response. Yes, it's logical to wonder where the show can go after having such a compelling villain. But to apparently only like the villain and nobody else, not caring about what happens next in the characters' lives, etc. does not a valuable viewer make.

I don't think treating it as the Kilgrave show and literally rejecting the titular character is a valid response. Yes, it's logical to wonder where the show can go after having such a compelling villain. But to apparently only like the villain and nobody else, not caring about what happens next in the characters' lives, etc. does not a valuable viewer make.

While I am a bit bias, the entire concept of the show revolved around Kilgrave and his powers even before he came on screen.

Jessica original purpose was trying to leave the past behind her and secure a sense of free will after being completely subjected to a torment from that enormous all encompassing power.

And only when Kilgrave does show up and we start to really see the obsession he as with Jessica then the shift in focus towards her occur when you try to figure out, why, why did this fucking monster got stuck on this specific victim.

And then we get the revelation that Kilgrave doesn't know what the fuck he is doing, and he is ironically subjected under the same power as is victims, and he is now by the merit of is limitless option (what some will call free(er) will) as developed no skills or purpose.

So I think not being interested in the show without center character and concept is a valid opinion.

And I have to disagree on the great chemistry between Tennant and Ritter comments, Netflix should foot the bill for Tennant next chiropractic session the way he was carrying her.
-Kind of Hyperbolic so spoilers

Well, just finished the series and I liked it really much.

It's a weird mix of Film Noir aspects and the rollercoaster of things that happen and especially the relationship between Killgrave and Jessica.

In for season 2. ;)

One thing this and Daredevil are really making me want post Civil War is an appearance by Spiderman.
The Netflix shows do a good job of using New York City in that it doesn't just feel like a generic city setting. Spiderman is so tied to NYC yet the movies just don't have time to do anything with it.

Just finished it and i went from thinking this show was crap to ending up really loving it.
The turning point was as many have said the development of Kilgrave's character.

I actually think that character was interesting and deep enough to have kept it for more than oneseason. For example, the phase in which Jessica tries to use his powers to do good deeds was EXCELLENT. I wish they would have took that route for a longer time, perhaps a whole season. A missed opportunity of you ask me... :/

JaseMath

So my wife and I are moving through the season–we're on Ep.9 now–and there's two things that really, really bother me about the show.

The first is the way the action is shot in that nothing is believable to me as super powerful. Watching the action scenes is almost like watching a poorly cut, poorly acted pro wrestling match. I just don't buy that any of these characters (Luke or Jessica) have amazing physical strength or can do amazing physical feats.

The second is Kilgrave's motives. This may get resolved later, but as of now they're so thin and under developed that I don't really care that he's the bad guy at all. Yes, he does bad things and controls people's minds and whatever, but there's nothing specific about his motives that make me want to root for Jessica and for him to fail.

LifEndz

Finished it a few nights ago. Thought the show was interesting as all hell for the first few episodes, but by the time the bootleg Steve Rogers shows up with his horrible New Yawk accent, the show definitely started to decline. Killgrave, who seemed like an absolute terror in the beginning, was rendered nothing more than a confused and scared little boy who was never loved. His mind control power being explained as a virus felt akin to midichlorians. Leave some mystery. This is a world with mutants, right? Not everyone has to be the result of some freak science experiment gone wrong.

But lets talk about the protagonist: Jessica, a day drinking private eye who has a penchant for sarcasm and exuding an "I'm so over all this" attitude. The typical antihero. I'm a big Ritter fan mainly after discovering her on Breaking Bad, so I'm not going to fault the actress (maybe I'm biased), but there was really nothing about this character that carried the show. Her background and why she's so messed up only goes so far. Her "powers," could make up for that, but that was even less interesting than the character herself. I used to collect Marvel Hero trading cards as a kid, and those cards were great because they assigned a numerical value to certain attributes: e.g. strength, flight, speed, stamina, etc. I feel like Jessica would be on the low tier in almost every category. Probably above the Punisher, but def below everyone else. I mean, she's super strong, but not so strong that she can perform any real incredible feats...unless you consider bending a metal pipe (Luke Cage can attest to this) an incredible feat. Hell, she got hit by a van and went down like a sack of potatoes. Would've been much more intrigued had she quickly reached out a hand and stopped the van with enough force to cause the driver to be ejected from his seat and hurt. Plus, she almost always got her ass kicked in the fight scenes. WTF is this? What's the point of superpowers if everyone can give her business? Even her foster-sister Trish put Jess on her ass. C'mon now.

Speaking of Trish, she and every other supporting character were all kinda boring. I grew to hate Trish's subplot because it meant more screen time for bootleg Steve Rogers. I really hope that guy never shows up again. "I gotta kill Killgrave, so that means I gotta kill Jessica! RAWRRRRR!" WTF?

Trinity was alright...I guess. They had so little confidence in her plot that they made sure to have her assistant parade around in blouses that seemed to get more and more revealing of her bosom as the season went on (not complaining btw). Malcolm was far more interesting as a junkie then as a support group leader. Once he got clean it's like they didn't know what to do with him. "I'm moving because I need to get away from you, Jessica...even though you helped me get clean and saved my life!" The creepy twins felt like what someone that isn't from New York envisions New Yorkers to be like. "Hey, lets makes twins that are basically grown children and live together and bake while wearing nothing but their underwear because New Yorkers are weird, amirite?" Luke Cage....hmmm.....did he ever say anything? Was he just there to wear tight clothing and stare stoically at the camera? I can't remember one line of his other "DO WHAT YOU GOTTA DO!" before reverting back to zombie Cage.

The action scenes were nowhere near as good as DareDevil's, and I went into the show thinking/expecting as much, but I hoped the "noir" aspects would compensate for that. Really go for something approaching "Silence of the Lambs" in the MCU. Well, they started off hinting at that, but by the end that quickly fell by the wayside in favor of some weird cat and mouse game that basically always ended with Kilgrave saying"Everyone here will kill themselves if you touch me." Damnit. They could've really done something with his character. After he basically told a kid to go in a closet and pee on herself, I thought they were just getting started with his depravity. I expected some dark and disturbing scenes between him and Jess or Hope, showing what he did to them. Instead, he was made to be a petulant child that always got his way and never learned right from wrong. As for the sex scenes in general, well, they were equally lame for me. "Oh, Jess and Luke are banging so hard they broke the bed because super heroes go hard! tee hee!" And what is this, Fox? Sex scenes where the blanket is magically attached to the woman's chest or where the woman leaves her shirt on feels very much like a network tv trope from the 80's. Might as well have the theme from "Moonlighting Strangers" playing in the background. If the actresses don't want to show their bodies in that way, fine. Don't have a "sex scene." Mad Men did this better than any other show that comes to mind at the moment. I'd rather a scene where the characters are getting dressed after the fact then something that feels like network television.

By the time I got to episode 10, which should've been called stab town, I was dying laughing at how bad it had become. Thankfully the conclusion all but assures there'll be a new antagonist next season, but I really don't know where they can go with this show. Jessica doesn't really seem to have the ability to handle herself in a fight, her powers are very underwhelming and the show appears to be afraid to be as noir as I thought it would. I told a friend of mine I was hoping for Kraven and/or Callisto for season 2, but without the right writers those characters would be wasted on this.

It was a 6/10 for me.

LifEndz

No.

But I do agree, I felt making it a virus really made his power far less cool. I know nothing of the comics, but apparently it's accurate to those? I wouldn't have minded a change in this case.

No? I know Fox has the rights to the XMen, but you're telling me there are no mutants at all in this MCU? Wow. That's a let down then. So every superhuman is the result of some science experiment? That's a bummer.

Robin64

No? I know Fox has the rights to the XMen, but you're telling me there are no mutants at all in this MCU? Wow. That's a let down then. So every superhuman is the result of some science experiment? That's a bummer.

Yeah, no mutants in the MCU at all, right now at least. They seem to be using Inhumans to fill that gap instead (not sure if you watch AoS, but that's a main plot point there recently).

Famassu

MCU has Inhumans. Basically mutants in all but name.

LifEndz

Yeah, no mutants in the MCU at all, right now at least. They seem to be using Inhumans to fill that gap instead (not sure if you watch AoS, but that's a main plot point there recently).

I don't, but thanks for the info. Coming into this with only my knowledge from being an avid Marvel comic reader in the 80's and 90's.

Gotcha. I guess that's true in it being the same except for the slight distinction, but damn if that distinction doesn't make the difference between the two interesting. If every superhuman is basically the result of some experiment, that's really lame imo.

Roussow

They have those, but they're slightly different because of the accosiation with the terrigen mist stuff (at least going by Agents of Shield, I'm not overly familiar with the comics). Haven't they been calling Mutant equivalents "gifted" in the MCU? That would be their Mutant stand in.

Robin64

"Gifted" is a term used on the AoS Index for those who naturally possess abilities. That includes Inhumans, even though technically their abilities aren't purely natural.. they're just not a result of human experiments and whatnot. Who else would be on that list at the moment? Everyone else I can think of is a result of humans doing something to them.

graffix13

On Episode 5 at the moment and it's better than I expected. Although JJ whiner attitude is starting to wear thin.

Also, why don't these shows (this and DD) ever refer to the Avengers by name? So far it has been "big green guy and friends" and "the flag guy" or something like that.

Gotcha. I guess that's true in it being the same except for the slight distinction, but damn if that distinction doesn't make the difference between the two interesting. If every superhuman is basically the result of some experiment, that's really lame imo.

It's usually an experiment, or an accident, or alien related (Thor is technically alien), or (soon to be) magic. Really isn't any different than the regular Marvel universe though. The plotline using the Inhumans in AoS has the Terrigen getting in to Earth's water supply activating any dormant Inhumans that are aware of their lineage or not, so it effectively fills the same slot as mutants.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Finished episode 10 last night. Man the gore makes this show hard to get through. I generally don't like horror movies because of that. Daredevil had some but it seems like Jessica Jones has ramped it up and I'm a little reticent to finish the last three episodes. Does it keep getting worse as far as being fucking gross?

I really hope the other Netflix shows aren't like this to this degree (or worse).

Know how people really disliked Foggy because of the actor? I feel the exact same way about Simpson.

He's the weakest actor on the show, definitely. Even Pam's actress is better.

Fuchsdh

Finished episode 10 last night. Man the gore makes this show hard to get through. I generally don't like horror movies because of that. Daredevil had some but it seems like Jessica Jones has ramped it up and I'm a little reticent to finish the last three episodes. Does it keep getting worse as far as being fucking gross?

I really hope the other Netflix shows aren't like this to this degree (or worse).

He's the weakest actor on the show, definitely. Even Pam's actress is better.

Ep 10 is definitely the high water mark as far as gore. It ramps down.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
"Gifted" is a term used on the AoS Index for those who naturally possess abilities. That includes Inhumans, even though technically their abilities aren't purely natural.. they're just not a result of human experiments and whatnot. Who else would be on that list at the moment? Everyone else I can think of is a result of humans doing something to them.

Chan Ho Yin from AoS had natural fire powers with no experimentation/external cause. He's also dead. That's about it.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
http://variety.com/2016/biz/news/je...er-of-none-narcos-ratings-netflix-1201679334/

Variety said:
Wurtzel cited ratings derived from San Francisco-based tech firm Symphony, which measures TV viewing using audio content recognition technology — software loaded on to users phones that tracks viewership by capturing the soundtrack of the program. The company has a sample size of about 15,000 at present, Wurtzel said.

From September through December, the average episode of Netflix’s “Jessica Jones” averaged 4.8 million viewers in adults 18-49 during a 35-day viewing cycle, according to Wurtzel’s presentation. Aziz Ansari’s “Master of None” (produced by Universal TV) grabbed 3.9 million while “Narcos” grabbed 3.2 million during the same frame. Amazon’s “Man in the High Castle,” a show that Amazon has identified as its highest-rated original series, averaged 2.1 million.

During the September-December period, Netflix’s “Orange Is the New Black” averaged 644,000 viewers. That reflected the fact that the show’s most recent third season launched in June. “OITNB” has been tabbed by Netflix as its most-watched original series.

For context regarding Jessica Jones' ratings ... Agents of SHIELD's most recent episode got 1.89 million viewers in the 18-to-49-year-old demographic, Gotham's most recent episode got 2.32 million 18-to-49-year-olds and Supergirl most recently got 2.61 million in the demo.

If this ratings metric is even close to accurate, this is interesting info.

Top Bottom