• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Marvels has a “legacy” character cameo in its credit scene (Spoilers)

ManaByte

Gold Member
This leaked online from Twitter people over the last few days without anyone coming out and flat out saying what it is, but The Marvels has a big legacy Marvel cameo in its credits scene. It’s pretty obviously a setup for Deadpool 3 which is the next movie out as it wouldn’t make sense to tease Secret Wars as that’s still like 5 years away.

After being stuck in a different universe from an incursion at the end of the movie, Monica wakes up in a hospital. Kelsey Grammar is there as Beast talking to her. Professor X is mentioned. Maria walks in as that universe’s Binary.

As Deadpool 3 is set in that universe it makes sense for this to be a setup for those characters coming back. Especially since it’s the best MCU movie out.

I don't think Marvel is fully ready for the sheer magnitude of the thermonuclear bomb that is this movie.
Didn't they delay it once or twice already? I think they're aware it is not going to perform well. I'm not even looking forward to good story or dialogue here. I'm just hoping that the movie will at least be a fun watch on Disney+.

The idea of characters swapping positions every time they use a power sounds like a fun idea on paper especially in action scenes. All Disney has to do is not make it feel boring.

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
Hated Captain Marvel. Didn't like Ms Marvel and didn't finish it. Rambo is pretty cool in Wandavision, but I have no interest in this.

The spoiler in the OP is pretty cool

I didn't outright hate Captain Marvel's first movie, wasn't worse than some of the other schlock around. I liked the 90's aesthetic-vibe timeline, that was fun. But other than that, not much about it mattered to me. I didn't really agree with the outrage at the time, still don't. But the movie, and overall Marvel's management of the MCU has just gone down-hill that I don't care anymore. I think the last two Marvel movies I watched were Ant-Man and Dr. Strange and I felt middling about them too.

It needs a hard reset. Get new actors and have some tight writing. It's all so formulaic now and so convoluted that it's way too much time and energy for something so underwhelming that feels like it's not worth it. And it's been bad for so long that even if something were to shine through, I wouldn't even know because I've more or less stopped caring about the MCU in general.

Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member
I know there's a years long lead time on all of these, but I have been saying for a while that they're saving X-Men and Fantastic Four as their aces in the hole. It's abundantly clear that the MCU needs all the help it can get at this point, so it's time for the X-Men to make an appearance.

I think they went back for a reshoot to add this credits scene in.

Mossybrew

For fuck sake, can someone please take the multiverse button off Marvel.

Marvel movies need to become grounded again...kind of like the original Iron Man. Or even Raimi spiderman.

Exactly. The multiverse bullshit is totally played out. Along with shit like time travel and the "quantum realm" or whatever.

Last edited:
For fuck sake, can someone please take the multiverse button off Marvel.
Exactly. The multiverse bullshit is totally played out. Along with shit like time travel and the "quantum realm" or whatever.
People only feel this way because Disney's Marvel themselves screwed it up. There are currently 4 different versions of their multiverse, with all 4 versions having their own concepts and rules as to how it works:

-What If
-Doctor Strange MoM
-Spiderman NWH
-Loki

A part of me wants to count Quantumania because technically it exists outside of time and space and it made the whole situation/storyline with Kang so shaky that Loki S2 has to now pick up that slack.

Regardless, this level of rule/concept confusion is unprecedented in a brand that was built on displaying synergy amongst all of their movies and TV. It's very clear that whatever lore-team they had during phase 1, 2, and mostly 3, has been stretched way too thin to care about making everything cohesive and connect properly. I can't recall the last time there's been a subtle(not obvious) callback to a previous movie or show, for example the exchange of critical dialogue between Cap and Iron Man in Endgame. The lore team should have been absolutely vital during this phase so that a simple little animated movie about Miles Morales doesn't do a better job than a billion dollar franchise.

HoodWinked

why does the black lady have super powers again?

All three have the dumbest explanations for thier powers

Rambeau got her powers from leaving the force field around the town Scarlett Witch made.

Captain Marvel becomes the most powerful superhero because she was next to a jet engine that exploded.

Ms marvel gets her powers from a... Bracelet which they try to rationalize that it actually unlocks her intrinsic powers.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
I won’t lie. I don’t know why they continue to push characters that most don’t like. Seems like they want to throw money down the drain.
Well, the last one did like a billion didn’t it? Maybe they think this will too? Who knows what is going on now days

ManaByte

Gold Member
The idea of characters swapping positions every time they use a power sounds like a fun idea on paper especially in action scenes. All Disney has to do is not make it feel boring.
That’s not the real point of the movie. The villain is using a weapon that’s causing tears between universes. Thus incursions happen. This sets up Secret Wars as much as Loki does.

That’s not the real point of the movie. The villain is using a weapon that’s causing tears between universes. Thus incursions happen. This sets up Secret Wars as much as Loki does.
captain-america-yeah.gif

I mean I just want it to come close to feeling as fun as the trailers make it out to be.

Soodanim

Gold Member
People only feel this way because Disney's Marvel themselves screwed it up. There are currently 4 different versions of their multiverse, with all 4 versions having their own concepts and rules as to how it works:

-What If
-Doctor Strange MoM
-Spiderman NWH
-Loki

A part of me wants to count Quantumania because technically it exists outside of time and space and it made the whole situation/storyline with Kang so shaky that Loki S2 has to now pick up that slack.

Regardless, this level of rule/concept confusion is unprecedented in a brand that was built on displaying synergy amongst all of their movies and TV. It's very clear that whatever lore-team they had during phase 1, 2, and mostly 3, has been stretched way too thin to care about making everything cohesive and connect properly. I can't recall the last time there's been a subtle(not obvious) callback to a previous movie or show, for example the exchange of critical dialogue between Cap and Iron Man in Endgame. The lore team should have been absolutely vital during this phase so that a simple little animated movie about Miles Morales doesn't do a better job than a billion dollar franchise.
I hadn't thought about it until you mentioned it, but it's definitely not the same. I don't know if it's because it's all gotten so big and disconnected, or because people care less about the declining MCU, or because the novelty of the crossover has worn off entirely, but those crossovers and cameos just don't really matter any more.

Phase 4 was so underwhelming I didn't even know it ended. What was the climactic moment of Phase 4 that you could point to and say "That's where it was all going"? Phase 4 for all intents and purposes is still going. Yes, late Phase 2/early Phase 3 looks a bit wonky on paper, but at least there were some Avengers movies round about the end and you knew where it was going. From what I can see online, not even Phase 5 is going anywhere. That's 14 movies without going anywhere. 14 movies into Phase 1-2 you'd had the build up and payoff of 2 Avengers movies and Civil War, which was Avengers 3 in all but name.

MCU peaked in quality, now it trades quality (relative terms, Scorsese) for empty quantity. Deadpool 3, Blade, Fantastic Four, and X-Men are the only things I'm interested in going forward because they're the opportunity to do something fresh. Despite what I said above, I don't even care about Avengers future movies any more because there's not a team of people to care about. Spider-Man aside, the current heroes are one of the following:
•B-team lesser replacement promoted only to fill a vacuum left by a loved character's departure
•Comedy character
•Previously strong character emasculated down to comedy tier
•A failed push by management
•Doctor Strange, who doesn't so much get plot buffs as he gets plot nerfs

Maybe Scarlet Witch returns and gets a face turn, she's actually formiddable.

At least when it's all gone downhill I can pretend they did Deadpool Kills the MCU.

I'm more interested in whatever they do with Daredevil than most of the coming movies.

ReBurn

Gold Member
For some reason I thought this movie was canceled. Might as well be since I'm probably not going to see it, but still.

Neon Xenon

I'd say that knowing these details now gives me one less reason for me to go see The Marvels, but I didn't want to go see it anyway.

ManaByte

Gold Member
From what I can see online, not even Phase 5 is going anywhere.
Phase 4, 5, and 6 is the Multiverse Saga. So it all ends with Secret Wars. But first they need universes to collide into each other (incursions). That starts with Marvels, then Deadpool 3. Feige just confirmed ALL of the previous Marvel movies are canon in the MCU multiverse, which is why NWH existed and all the Fox Mutants that matter are coming back.

bitbydeath

-What If
-Doctor Strange MoM
-Spiderman NWH
-Loki

Yeah, I don’t really understand it.

Loki Spoilers
Loki S1 started off about their only being only one sacred timeline, the rest were pruned to prevent Kang from rising up, so no other movies should feature a multi-verse due to that.

Ant-man spoilers
Ant-man gets even more confusing because at the end they show thousands? of Kangs already existing.

Maybe I’m missing something obvious but it seems very messy.

bitbydeath

Phase 4, 5, and 6 is the Multiverse Saga. So it all ends with Secret Wars. But first they need universes to collide into each other (incursions). That starts with Marvels, then Deadpool 3. Feige just confirmed ALL of the previous Marvel movies are canon in the MCU multiverse, which is why NWH existed and all the Fox Mutants that matter are coming back.
It would have been so much better if they never reversed the snap and didn’t feature any mutants until the universes collided.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Yeah, I don’t really understand it.

Loki Spoilers
Loki S1 started off about their only being only one sacred timeline, the rest were pruned to prevent Kang from rising up, so no other movies should feature a multi-verse due to that.

Ant-man spoilers
Ant-man gets even more confusing because at the end they show thousands? of Kangs already existing.

Maybe I’m missing something obvious but it seems very messy.
You didn’t see the Loki S1 finale.

Top Bottom