• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Spider-man 2 |OT| - The 19" inches of Venom you're Kraven for

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
So once you hit max level, XP becomes totally meaningless and no longer counts towards anything.

In the first game, beyond level 50 you could still earn points and while you wouldn’t level up per se, once you filled the XP bar you’d get a +1 to damage and HP. It was a cool way to keep you playing.

Just another bummer to add to the list. Why the fuck would you remove that?

Last edited:
My biggest complaint with the game is Insomniac hiding the highest difficulty behind completing the game. Why do developers do this? I rarely replay games, but I always try to beat games at the highest difficulty to get the most out of it on that one playthrough. I feel quite overpowered near the end of the game now. To the point I'm no longer investing in health. Just silly

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
Any Spider-Man comic fans in here? I've read absolutely none. But would like to read some of the stories that influenced the games. Any recommendations would be much appreciated.
I would honestly say read everything/anything from its initial run up until around 2012. Marvel really went down the drain shortly after that with the whole ideological take over that started to happen.

MAX PAYMENT

I would honestly say read everything/anything from its initial run up until around 2012. Marvel really went down the drain shortly after that with the whole ideological take over that started to happen.
Are you talking as far back as the very first stuff?

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Aaaand done. That final 1/3 man. Super solid. Great ending. Saw people complaining about it and nope, the usual hyperbole.

My mind is already racing about 3.

Forced pandering woke bullshit aside it was fantastic overall.

I like the first one much more though for various reasons.

More tomorrow. Need to sleep on it.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Chriiiiiiist that post credits scene. 3 is gonna be fucking WILD

Also this

mYY97vC.jpg

39 hours total but I took ALOT of time looking around taking pictures

Last edited:
What they did with Mary Jane in this game is atrocious imo. The woman just aged like 30 years, when peter sometimes looks like 15 lol.

Also, the Mary Jane character dev feels so fucking off and forced. Most of the time disconnected from Peter and Miles (based on the reactions to the situations), and what is happening in the world in general.

You know that meme "oh no, anyway"?, fits pretty good here lmao

MirageMew2

Absolutely rolling at the climax hinging on a certain fan favorite Miles Morales mini game

“this songs already turnt but here’s a bell”

While the character models are "fine" the reason they stick out so much is because everything else is so exceptional, it's a blemish on what is otherwise a beautiful, truly "next-gen" package. Mary Jane is ugly as sin, it is what it is. Not a huge fan of all the diversity quota pandering either but otherwise I'm having a hell of a time, hyped to eventually see gameplay of Wolverine, that's a character I'm much more invested into than goody two shoes Spidey lol.

Three

That game looked consistently good at all times, everywhere and all the time. Textures all had the same (high) resolution no matter where they were and same goes for assets, characters, lighting, level of detail.. all of it. And I know because I'm the biggest scrutinizer of that sort of stuff there is.
Not exactly everywhere no matter where they were.
Wasn't this memed from SM 2018?

T9L9PQLNb7jN7hLqbgJ3QL-970-80.jpg.webp

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Just wanted to pop in and say this is the best game insomniac has ever made. the setpieces are nuts and exactly what i want from a next gen superhero game. just did the coney island mission and im in love. this is what i wanted GG, ND and SSM to do all last gen and this gen. i used to call insomniac B tier but they have made SSM and GG look like 2nd tier developers. Just remarkable stuff with the setpieces and visual design.

Really like how you can upgrade your abilities and gadgets this time around. one of my gadget was pulling not just enemies but also go karts and all the throwable objects in the game. super cool.

Sadly, the graphics as good as they look to have some issues with reusing the same building assets. Had they upgraded the buildings to look next gen, this wouldve been the best looking game in the market right now. right now, those buildings especially the brick ones in harlem really stand out. the glass ones dont look too hot either but the reflections help them. thats it. thats my only complaint. gorgeous lighting and level of detail in this game. it looks sublime.

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Just wanted to pop in and say this is the best game insomniac has ever made. the setpieces are nuts and exactly what i want from a next gen superhero game. just did the coney island mission and im in love. this is what i wanted GG, ND and SSM to do all last gen and this gen. i used to call insomniac B tier but they have made SSM and GG look like 2nd tier developers. Just remarkable stuff with the setpieces and visual design.

Really like how you can upgrade your abilities and gadgets this time around. one of my gadget was pulling not just enemies but also go karts and all the throwable objects in the game. super cool.

Sadly, the graphics as good as they look to have some issues with reusing the same building assets. Had they upgraded the buildings to look next gen, this wouldve been the best looking game in the market right now. right now, those buildings especially the brick ones in harlem really stand out. the glass ones dont look too hot either but the reflections help them. thats it. thats my only complaint. gorgeous lighting and level of detail in this game. it looks sublime.
Im shocked at how much I'm enjoying myself after shitting so badly on it back in the Summer.

Speaking of which, I just completed the mission they showed off for the reveal gameplay. The one we spent months shitting on. I took like 50 screenshots because it looked so fucking good. What a turn around

SCB3

Dunno if posted but.. I got a glitch from switching suits too much:

mkZnLLI.png

Also...
There are hints of a sequel that involves:
Norman = He's wearing green in the end *hint*
Flame dude = Clearly Carnage since he says it
Cindy Moon= BUT instead of being with Peter, might be more involved with Miles

Gameplay-wise:

This game is a little harder than the first game ONLY because you can't heal anytime anymore. Need to build a full bar of focus meter first. I think this is weird during higher difficulty fights cuz of the damage you can take. You either do a finisher, or heal. It's not exactly easy to pay attention to dodging any more because of the new parry only/dodge only mechanics and you get a bit of info overload.

Boss fights are interesting. Trial and error type. I'm glad they finally added life bars. They need to get better at implementing arena walls during boss fights/encounters though. Weird boss behaviors happen when they reach the "invisible wall." Also, on one encounter I ended up stuck outside the arena wall with no way to get back in and the out of bounds message just keeps pushing me back outside. Thankfully you can easily reset to checkpoint, something I had to do alot more in this game than the first.
I mean

Norman is taking the G Serum now

Cletus Kassidy is one of the Flame leaders alias

I personally think Goblin for the next game and Carnage for the 3 DLC similar to the first games

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I’ve been playing using the pulse headset, and it’s been great. I just fired it up using my sound bar and I noticed the sound when swinging is off between the controller speaker and my sound bar.

You’re in for a real treat the rest of this game

Each mission chapter is set piece oriented. Action up the wazoo. I remember when Naughty Dog used to be king with UC2 set pieces, and SSM before them with the original God of War games.

Insomniac has now taken the throne, the game is absolutely thrilling to play.

Speaking of which, I just completed the mission they showed off for the reveal gameplay. The one we spent months shitting on. I took like 50 screenshots because it looked so fucking good. What a turn around

That whole section with lizard is incredible. YouTube does it no justice

And the sound in this game hits hard with a good set of headphones. Phenomenal next gen experience visually, aurally, and tactilely

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Man. They really just made every single female model uglier, didn’t they?

All of them, but I don’t think there’s much to read about it except some very terrible character modellers on board working at Insomniac.

They’ve been lucky they got the 3 champs right or it’ll be a full-Bethesda fest this one too.

Last edited:
All of them, but I don’t think there’s much to read about it except some very terrible character modellers on board working at Insomniac.

They’ve been lucky they got the 3 champs right or it’ll be a full-Bethesda fest this one too.
Black Cat does looks better. But she has only 1 mission.

Vick

Not exactly everywhere no matter where they were.
Wasn't this memed from SM 2018?

T9L9PQLNb7jN7hLqbgJ3QL-970-80.jpg.webp
Well okay, "no matter where they were in the playable area".

Might have to get this sooner than planned.

Last edited:

SCB3

Is there a way to switch abilities once you've finished the main game, I need to beat 3 more enemies with Spider Arms but can't seem to figure out a way to switch Peters from Sybiotes

Certinty

Is there a way to switch abilities once you've finished the main game, I need to beat 3 more enemies with Spider Arms but can't seem to figure out a way to switch Peters from Sybiotes
In the abilities menu you can change all of Peter's back to the arms.

My biggest complaint with the game is Insomniac hiding the highest difficulty behind completing the game. Why do developers do this? I rarely replay games, but I always try to beat games at the highest difficulty to get the most out of it on that one playthrough. I feel quite overpowered near the end of the game now. To the point I'm no longer investing in health. Just silly
Made even worse when you consider there's no new game + and that the game is still very easy on spectacular. Such a stupid choice.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
It's a plague of the gaming industry that can't die soon enough.

If only insomniac was the only one doing this shit...

Last edited:
The Boss fights are a Huge Huge improvement over the first game.

They feel like God of war 2018 boss fights and that's a huge compliment.

They force you to parry and dodge and all of your main offensive abilities are useful. None of this nonsense of -

" Oh your powerful offensive abilities won't work here because we don't know how implement them without trivialising the challenge " Cough Hogwarts legacy Cough star wars Jedi Survior.

A huge weakness of the arkham free flow combat was 1 on 1 fights. All the boss fights in those games were gimmick fights that didn't use it or found a way to have a bunch of goons in the fight.

Not here they might be the highlight. Well done insomniac.

The credits just rolled on what is undoubtedly the best superhero game I've played.

The game looks stunning in fidelity mode. However, some aspects, like graphics and NPC interactions with Spiderman, felt diminished compared to the previous entries. Kind of jarring, really.

The gameplay was topnotch until it concluded. Like its predecessors, the post-game world feels lacking in activities nor provides any motivation to engage in the side content.

It's disappointing how both Kraven and the Lizard had limited roles. It would've been compelling to see them as persistent threats in NYC, hunting Spiderman in a manner reminiscent of Alien Isolation as the story unfolded.

Regarding the story...
Making Harry Venom didn't bring any significant impact or surprise twists. It was boring.

Kraven would've been a more fitting choice for the symbiote to choose as a host. And, it should've happened instead of Harry killing Kraven in front of the world. His cancer should've enticed it similarly to how it latched on to Peter when he was dying.

Kraven is practically superhuman comapred to Harry, imagine him wearing the symbiote. Then they could've gave us a new take on the "Madness of Venom" storyline.

Lastly, I was surprised not to find any hint of Wolverine. It would've been an ideal opportunity to tease the "insomnia-verse." Even a subtle nod would've sufficed.

Certinty

You can? How?
Abilities menu if you click the abilities you have equipped it will give you the option to switch each one back to the arms variant.

The credits just rolled on what is undoubtedly the best superhero game I've played.

The game looks stunning in fidelity mode. However, some aspects, like graphics and NPC interactions with Spiderman, felt diminished compared to the previous entries. Kind of jarring, really.

The gameplay was topnotch until it concluded. Like its predecessors, the post-game world feels lacking in activities nor provides any motivation to engage in the side content.

It's disappointing how both Kraven and the Lizard had limited roles. It would've been compelling to see them as persistent threats in NYC, hunting Spiderman in a manner reminiscent of Alien Isolation as the story unfolded.

Regarding the story...
Making Harry Venom didn't bring any significant impact or surprise twists. It was boring.

Kraven would've been a more fitting choice for the symbiote to choose as a host. And, it should've happened instead of Harry killing Kraven in front of the world. His cancer should've enticed it similarly to how it latched on to Peter when he was dying.

Kraven is practically superhuman comapred to Harry, imagine him wearing the symbiote. Then they could've gave us a new take on the "Madness of Venom" storyline.

Lastly, I was surprised not to find any hint of Wolverine. It would've been an ideal opportunity to tease the "insomnia-verse." Even a subtle nod would've sufficed.
Couldn't agree more. They kept on saying it was a new take we hadn't seen before but in the end it just turned out to be lies, just like how Mister Negative was meant to be the main villain of the first game to give a fresh face centre stage instead of a well known villain.

Whilst I don't think the final act of the game is bad, it's still better than the first's, I think everything after the Venom vs Kraven fight is mostly downhill. It's far too rushed and big in scale to only span the last few hours of the game.

Plus, like you've said, Kraven becoming Venom would have been far more interesting, during the fight in the forest I fully expected the symbiote to attach to him after Miles gets it off Peter or even from Harry to Kraven at Times Square knowing how much more powerful he was. Instead what we got was just... yeah.

Last edited:
Abilities menu if you click the abilities you have equipped it will give you the option to switch each one back to the arms variant.

Couldn't agree more. They kept on saying it was a new take we hadn't seen before but in the end it just turned out to be lies, just like how Mister Negative was meant to be the main villain of the first game to give a fresh face centre stage instead of a well known villain.

Whilst I don't think the final act of the game is bad, it's still better than the first's, I think everything after the Venom vs Kraven fight is mostly downhill. It's far too rushed and big in scale to only span the last few hours of the game.

Plus, like you've said, Kraven becoming Venom would have been far more interesting, during the fight in the forest I fully expected the symbiote to attach to him after Miles gets it off Peter or even from Harry to Kraven at Times Square knowing how much more powerful he was. Instead what we got was just... yeah.

Accurate. The entire 3rd act seems out of place and extremely rushed with the ending providing little, if any, payoff.

Odd way to end a game which started on an extremely high note.

Certinty

Are you telling me that it gets worse?

diddy-staring.gif
What part are you on?

It seems with the more people that complete the game the more that agree the final act is the weakest.

Personally my thoughts:
First Act - Good. Sets up the premise for the game well.
Second Act - Great. Story gets interesting, main missions are insane, boss battles are good.
Final Act - Decent to meh. Predictable and boring story, far too big in scope, rushed length wise.

It sort of feels like a repeat of the first game as I felt the story in that went the same way.

Top Bottom