• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Spider-man 2 |OT| - The 19" inches of Venom you're Kraven for

Topher

Gold Member
It's a massive deal, Im heavily offended and Ive already written several letters. I plan on crying in my car later.
Comforting 30 Rock GIF

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Weird. The campaign is mostly non stop action and I’m just before the final 8 missions

I agree the side content is whatever. I found the flame, bases, and mysterio stuff pretty cool though

I actually like that all the side stuff is quick
I find it insane that every single story mission seems to have a major setpiece moment. This is legit uncharted 2 or Uncharted 3 in terms of pacing. Only difference is that they have an entire city to explore and do side missions in between.

I think some side misisons especially for the woke SAVE THE PLANET lab are hilariously bad. The woke school ones for Miles were groan inducing... but as soon as I accepted that this is THE most woke game ever, i started to enjoy it more. I genuinely love flying around the world and doing side content. I didnt get that feeling in Horizon. Everything in that game felt like a chore, especially the side quests. here the side quests are over in a flash. And then i got back into exploring and killing mobs which i find more fun than saving the world by creating robot bees or helping dudes ask each other to prom.

I do a story mission then take an hour to decompress and explore the world then go back and do another story mission which inevitably turns into an insane naughty dog setpiece.

I did like three side missions. The one with the old dimentia dude. Fairly simple but really good monologue at the end. though i wouldve preferred it coming from one of the main characters to have a bigger emotional impact. The second one i liked was the pigeon dude from the first game. I didnt even remember him but i remember the terrible missions. So it was good to get it done and over with in one really exhilarating mission. Guess what? ending got to me too. No need for dialogue trees or long multilayered side quests like in horizon and gow.

and the latest side mission i liked was the flashback with peter and jonah jameson. Absolutely hilarious. had a smile on my face the entire time.

ManaByte

Last night I finished on mission that involves MJ escaping a house. If you know, you know. So far I don't feel like this is any improvement story-wise over the first game. They had one more game and 5 years to improve over the formula. I don't think they did.

My biggest disappointment is how under-utilized the two spiders mechanic is. Not even a single mission where you can freely swap between them (like something from GTA V). The entire game should be designed around co-op, how sick it would be to play it with another player.
The story is a huge improvement over the first game. It’s an adaptation of one of the greatest Spider-Man stories of all time and better than the Kraven movie that’s coming out.

Raonak

Banned
Im about maybe a thrid in? Initially it does feel a bit of more of the same. I didn't really like the sandman intro besides the throwing sequence.
And the story starts off pretty slow besides the set pieces. But now that i'm a few hours in, i'm definitely enjoying it more and more.
The story is starting to pick up and even really minor stuff makes me gasp a little bit realising what the implications are for the characters, I can already tell they're gonna go places.

It's crazy how good the swinging/traversal is in this game. I know it was always good in the previous games, but the web wings, the launch, the 360 spin, are all great way to mix up the swinging.
Still the best part of the game imo. It's like one of the few games where travelling to the waypoint is actually fun. Helps that it damn near looks photorealistic when you're doing it.

Im starting to hit the sweet spot of the combat too. Getting good enough to get into a flow state instead of randomly mashing.
Parrying enemies while you're beating up another enemy really changes the dynamic of the combat compared to the previous game.
I find that I don't really use the powers as much as I should because I like trying to create cool combo sequences.

I love the stealth web line mechanic. I've never seen a game actually use a mechanic like it, so it's very cool to see.
Sometimes can't decide whether to stealth or combat because both feel very fun to do.

Im actually quite enjoying the gameplay loop of throwing in random different gameplay scenarios, whether that be puzzles, stealth sections, side activities, crimes, even the other side character sections were a good change of pace. The side missions don't feel overly long and there's not too much there, which I greatly appreciate. It doesn't feel like a job to clear them out.

Im one of the few here that enjoy the diversity and inclusivity too, it's a bit cheesy, but spiderman himself is one of the cheesiest and family friendly heroes around.

So far, loving it!

I'm glad we've got some non-Puerto Rican folk in this thread defending Insomniac and telling us that displaying the wrong flag is a non-issue. It's just a minor goof-up that those silly little Californians made! Meanwhile, those silly Californians are also trying to teach us savages that our language is problematic and must be rewritten. I wouldn't know what to do or think without the white saviors at Insomniac or some white dudes on NeoGAF telling me it's not a big deal. :)

poodaddy

I second a post from an earlier poster that the MJ stealth missions just aren't needed. Loving the game, but goddamn what a goofy thing to add to a game like this. Still though, loving it.

Ulysses 31

I second a post from an earlier poster that the MJ stealth missions just aren't needed. Loving the game, but goddamn what a goofy thing to add to a game like this. Still though, loving it.
And it's a bit jarring how Spider-Man needs multiple combos to knock people out but MJ can one tap them with her weapon. Might be an idea to get Spidey that weapon too!

Last edited:

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
And it's a bit jarring how Spider-Man needs multiple combos to knock people out but MJ can one tap them with her weapon. Might be an idea to get Spidey that weapon too!

Have you seen MJ's takedowns? They're like sooooo badass. Women can be super capable. Deal with it.

Topher

Gold Member
I'm glad we've got some non-Puerto Rican folk in this thread defending Insomniac and telling us that displaying the wrong flag is a non-issue. It's just a minor goof-up that those silly little Californians made! Meanwhile, those silly Californians are also trying to teach us savages that our language is problematic and must be rewritten. I wouldn't know what to do or think without the white saviors at Insomniac or some white dudes on NeoGAF telling me it's not a big deal. :)

Maybe re-read what I said.....

"It might be inexcusable if they were not going to fix it, but they are. This is a non-issue to me. "

As far as the rest of your racist rant.....lol, whatever man.

Family Feud Lol GIF by Steve Harvey

Last edited:

MastAndo

Not to pile on as I really love the game, but yeah, the MJ stealth missions (at least the first one) are pretty ridiculous. The fact that you're systematically dropping Kraven's elite group of hunters like some trained assassin (and shrugging off an arrow in the shoulder) is plain dopey. I didn't even hate the gameplay in it and it didn't take all that long fortunately, but the idea just cheapens Kraven's crew. Pete should just carry around MJ's taser and one-shot everyone, forget all that web-slinging nonsense.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Not to pile on as I really love the game, but yeah, the MJ stealth missions (at least the first one) are pretty ridiculous. The fact that you're systematically dropping Kraven's elite group of hunters like some trained assassin (and shrugging off an arrow in the shoulder) is plain dopey. I didn't even hate the gameplay in it and it didn't take all that long fortunately, but the idea just cheapens Kraven's crew. Pete should just carry around MJ's taser and one-shot everyone, forget all that web-slinging nonsense.

Comical shit happening in a comic book based game. Whodathunkit. These types of nonsensical scenarios happen just as often in movies and we understandably go with it becaude its entertainment, so I don't understand why a good number of people find MJs combat prowess exceptionally jarring.

Anyways, I didn't mind the MJ missions this time around. Last one was actually kinda fun.

MastAndo

Comical shit happening in a comic book based game. Whodathunkit. These types of nonsensical scenarios happen just as often in movies and we understandably go with it becaude its entertainment, so I don't understand why a good number of people find MJs combat prowess exceptionally jarring.

Anyways, I didn't mind the MJ missions this time around. Last one was actually kinda fun.
Come on, I know there's a suspension of disbelief that needs to happen with this sort of thing, but she's taking down trained killers - the same ones our superhuman friends have had their hands full with throughout the game.

Overall, the game is really terrific, so none of this is nearly enough to hurt my experience of the game in any meaningful way. I just find it silly and inconsistent/out of place.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
There's something .. really weird .. with Harry. He always has a half-smirk, half-smile on his face.

Anyway, got the symbiote suite and I already know where this is heading.

The symbiote was 'normal size' for Harry, and now for Peter. Venom is much larger, which dictates at some point the symbiote is going to go to Kraven.

Hence their "It's not someone whose been Venom before" point in the pre-release marketing.

Please don't @ me to spoil if incorrect, the above is just my theory so far lol.

Last edited:

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
Beat the game and got the platinum trophy. A near perfect Spider-Man game let down by some uneven graphical moments, poor character modeling (especially when it comes to nearly every female and NPC in the game), awful side quest writing that feels like it came out of modern Marvel's hack writers, and some tedious near-end game arenas. Also the MJ sections sucked somehow more than the previous game.

Thankfully the speed and feel of movement and swinging felt better than ever, the main story was 90% amazing (Black Cat was awful and served zero point), and the collectibles and some side quests were fantastic.

Last edited:

Vestal

Gold Member
Really enjoying it so far.. The sense of speed and fluidity of movement/combat is otherworldly.. Overall visuals are great, and the story has been really good so far. 2/3 of the way into main story.

Have run into a few bugs with enemy AI and some of their pathing.. Also had 1 hard crash during a "cinematic". Nothing too egregious though.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Lol really? Because I don't.

The whole everything being quiet was fine, inclusion and different perspective and all, but the weird drawn on emoji symbols were eh .. also that particular mission has some of the worst PS2 caliber judding facial animations when the girl starts using the spray can.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I’d go so far as to say this is one of the best super hero games ever made. I like Miles a lot more than in his stand alone game. It was fun switching between the two Spider-Man characters.
Finished the game. What a massive ending. Truly epic main story and some awesome gameplay. The highs, imo, greatly outshine the lows. I'd say the game is deserving of its review scores, bugs and all.

Now just a couple of trophies to mop up and get the platinum.
Yea that was one hell of a finale. Reminds of Arkham City’s final moments but way way over the top.

Insomniac nails the action sequences. I feel like they are the Rocksteady of Spider-Man.

Arkham City and Spider-Man 2 are the chefs kiss. I want Spider-Man 3 now or Wolverine. I’ve got super high hopes for Wolverine, especially if they give Logan all his costumes (80’s and 97 Wolverine 😍).

I really hope Peter Parker isn’t retired. Miles is great, but Peter has a lot of story left in him

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

I may have hit the point of no return:

Venom fused the meteorite and now the whole city is fucked up and full of aggro mobs am I correct?

The story missions are incredible but the little sidequests ive done have heen terribly lacking, im gonna need GAF's help to tell me which ones are worth playing lol

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
SensationalSpider-Man25.gif

Is this suit in the game?
Isn’t that Sensational Spider-Man? I looked for that as well, considering they have the Scarlet Spider. I did not see it nor did I unlock it. I like that suit. Growing up I had issue #0 of Sensational Spider-Man. That comic had Ben figuring which costume he wanted to wear.

Sleepwalker

Theres a late game mission with miles where the game can freeze kinda consistently if you dont hit a button prompt quick enough. The game wont crash but the gameplay will be frozen until you reload the checkpoint. Kinda annoying since I died a few times in that part.

Finished the game. What a massive ending. Truly epic main story and some awesome gameplay. The highs, imo, greatly outshine the lows. I'd say the game is deserving of its review scores, bugs and all.

Now just a couple of trophies to mop up and get the platinum.

Nice to hear the bugs didn't ruin the game for you.

Right adamsapple adamsapple ?

Hopefully they don't make it a trash game for you.

pronouns are easy. flags are difficult...

always enjoyable watching the protectors of the easily hurt being hurtful...

Finished the game last night. Overall excellent game better than the original in every important way I.e combat, traversal, set pieces and Boss battles.

Boss Battles remain the stand out considering they were so average in the first game. The collection are here are some of the best ever in a video game. Pure quality over quantity I will remember them all and it makes me excited about what they can do with Wolverine.

Good job Insomniac I was expecting some comfort food OK open world game but they definitely exceeded that.

OK now to moan for a bit.

Why are there barely any traversal side quests or challenges? There's just the drones which are okay but you don't get to use spidermans full moveset.

It's baffling frankly they improved the traversal so much it's why the frigging ps5 basically exists and yet there's nothing to test it on other than just randomly swinging about.

I'am gonna blame the idiot gamers that cried about the pigeon side quests. What was wrong with them? They allowed you to test your Web swinging abilities. They feel a bit silly but you lost the ability to complain about silly the moment you started role-playing a spandex clad buffoon swinging through New York.

Feels like complaining about ubisoft open world design when it's ubisoft core gameplay mechanics that needs to improve.

Last edited:

Certinty

OK now to moan for a bit.

Why are there barely traversal side quests or challenges? There's just the drones which are okay but you don't get to use spidermans full moveset.

It's baffling frankly they improved the traversal so much it's why the frigging ps5 basically exists and yet there's nothing to test it on other than just randomly swinging about.

I'am gonna blame the idiot gamers that cried about the pigeon side quests. What was wrong with them? They allowed you to test your Web swinging abilities. They feel a bit silly but you lost the ability to complain about silly the moment you started role-playing a spandex clad buffoon swinging through New York.

Feels like complaining about ubisoft open world design when it's ubisoft core gameplay mechanics that needs to improve.
It's shocking how they removed Taskmaster's challenges, it really is.

Getting gold medals on the stealth and race challenges in the first game was one of the highlights, at least for me.

I understand replacing the combat ones with what we got in this but nothing for the stealth and races seems like a huge oversight.

I only hope we get some DLC with Taskmaster returning.

Topher

Gold Member

Getting gold medals on the stealth and race challenges in the first game was one of the highlights, at least for me.

I understand replacing the combat ones with what we got in this but nothing for the stealth and races seems like a huge oversight.

The Mysterium was a poor replacement. It was all combat based and felt cheap because you didn't have to get gold medals for the trophy. Feels like a participation award.

Certinty

The Mysterium was a poor replacement. It was all combat based and felt cheap because you didn't have to get gold medals for the trophy. Feels like a participation award.
And even then getting golds even on the hardest difficulty is a walk in the park. Pretty bland in general too I must say, they could have made them far more unique to stand out more.

Half the side content in this game is fairly poor, I think that's the best way to put it.

Exactly! The combat is good in this game but I can get that anywhere.

I cannot get this amazing traversal anywhere especially at this speed.

I want challenges to include all the new abilities. Imagine a time trial across the whole city that includes the Super sling, tunnels, air lifts , loop de loop... Well all I can do is imagine it 😅😭😭.

Topher

Gold Member
And even then getting golds even on the hardest difficulty is a walk in the park. Pretty bland in general too I must say, they could have made them far more unique to stand out more.

Half the side content in this game is fairly poor, I think that's the best way to put it.

Yeah pretty much. Base clearing, collectibles and the The Flame quests were all good. The EMF shit, mobile app side missions and mysterium were needless, and often pretentious, filler. Thankful the main story overshadows those negatives greatly. These shallow side quests are what separate Insomniac's Spider-man games from achieving God-tier status, imo.

Chronicle

Gotta say, the game is not grabbing me. It all feels very safe and familiar, with no real attempt at pushing either the gameplay or story into new places.

Video games have reached Hollywood movie levels of risk aversion, and that’s a real pity.
True. But if it ain't broke, don't fix it. And define 'new places'. That could mean anything.

Pilgrimzero

I think Im almost done with it story wise.

I don't think it (the story) is as good as the 1st games. As such, Miles side of the story is far more entertaining.

I think they should have kept Miles as a side character to better flesh out Peters story and then again have Miles pseudo-dlc.

And Venom himself doesn't get enough time it seems. I haven't finished it yet but looking it up I have about 5 main missions left. So we will see...

Certinty

Huge upgrade in The Amazing Spider-Man 2 suit with the latest update. A more accurate shinier red. Looks amazing (no pun intended) now.

Top Bottom