• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Spider-man 2 |OT| - The 19" inches of Venom you're Kraven for

RyanEvans21

Stopped last night at the start of (what I think is) the final boss.

That final sequence of story missions is fucking nuts, almost 5 hours went by like it was nothing! The direction of the cutscenes and pacing of the missions is insanely good too.

If I have any criticism of the story, it's that Kraven dies a little too soon for my liking. Really enjoyed how good he was as a villain and how he pushed everyone to the breaking point.
He is happy though of dying that way. instead of cancer.

I was kind bored and started rushing through the story and I have to admit, it's been fucking great. I just killed Kraven and fought the symbiotes for the first time.
So let me ask you guys, is there any side content worth doing?

RyanEvans21

I was kind bored and started rushing through the story and I have to admit, it's been fucking great. I just killed Kraven and fought the symbiotes for the first time.
So let me ask you guys, is there any side content worth doing?
Mysterio

Kraven bases or something (You unlock another costume).

Drones chases (Cutscene).

Last edited:

YCoCg

Neat little video here showing some of the changes to the map between Remastered and 2, notice how things like clouds and foliage were touched up quite a bit.

Jesus…now i get why this game is rating 90 and above, ever since the mission where you

have to search for Conners, the fight against the Lizard, searching for Miles, Miles on that base fighting Li.

Everything that happens during those missions so far. This is AAA done right. I couldn’t even leave my seat for those hours and that barely happens for me anymore. I could only leave my ps5 alone after that last boss fight I just mentioned lmao

Lokaum D+

Just finished the game and i m really mixed about it, but my score is a 8/10

The Good:
- Graphically is way better then the Remaster and Miles games.
- Fast travel was god like.
- Spider Parker
- Bully Parker
- Harry
- Venon
- Combat was good
- Main story was good after Suit Harry showed up.
- Late game world map was a great implementation.

The Bad:
- The pandering is everywhere in Miles missions and sidequests.
- MJ sidequests ( broke all immersion )
- Everything that has Miles in it ( aside from the main story )
- Emile-May sidequest
- Prowler sidequest
- Mysterio, Kraven bases was so boring to do.

Game is good, but not good as the first one, this game made me feel like i was playing FF16 some times, main mission is good but the side stuff is horrific , i hope they dont try to put Peter to the side on the next games, if they do, game is dead to me.

Last edited:

Dunker99

Neo Member
Neat little video here showing some of the changes to the map between Remastered and 2, notice how things like clouds and foliage were touched up quite a bit.

This video kind of backs up what I was trying to say here…
I haven’t played the game yet, but I’ve noticed that nearly every screenshot or gif of SM2 is quite dull and flat compared to SM1 & MM. Like the suits and the city etc are lacking rich colour and contrast. Did they go for a more muted and “realistic” aesthetic this time? Or is it because they’re HDR and I’m viewing them in SDR? For example, Peter’s original suit in SM1 was bright, deep red and blue. But the equivalent suit in SM2 is dull and faded - like the contrast on a tv has been turned way down.

SM2 often seems drained of colour and contrast compared to SM1 & MM. Just look at the suit. What am I missing here? It looks so dull.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I'm so behind everyone on this game. At least I get to play as long as I want tonight.

The handful of major boss fights I've been in, aside from the game opener, have felt a little overlong to me. Like they go on for just one or two repetitive phases too long. I don't remember that being a thing with the first two games, but maybe I'm just looking back through the years with rose-colored glasses.

Zimmy68

I finished the main story yesterday. What a fantastic game. Kept playing until I unlocked the Final Swing suit.

I couldn't believe the have a Downs Syndrome Mary Jane mission during the final battle.
Insomniac really knows how to troll its customers.

At least she had a decent weapon.

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Just finished the game and i m really mixed about it, but my score is a 8/10

The Good:
- Graphically is way better then the Remaster and Miles games.
- Fast travel was god like.
- Spider Parker
- Bully Parker
- Harry
- Venon
- Combat was good
- Main story was good after Suit Harry showed up.
- Late game world map was a great implementation.

The Bad:
- The pandering is everywhere in Miles missions and sidequests.
- MJ sidequests ( broke all immersion )
- Everything that has Miles in it ( aside from the main story )
- Emile-May sidequest
- Prowler sidequest
- Mysterio, Kraven bases was so boring to do.

Game is good, but not good as the first one, this game made me feel like i was playing FF16 some times, main mission is good but the side stuff is horrific , i hope they dont try to put Peter to the side on the next games, if they do, game is dead to me.

Agree with almost everything except Miles and Mysterio sidequest.

I think Miles feels more mature this time around. Glad he finally realizes he doesn't need Peter babysitting him every single time.

He was plain boring in MM, but this time around I liked how they characterized him.

About Mysterio sidequest I honestly think is one of the best in the game, because at least it throws at you some tweaks to mess up with the mobs.

However, having two women subduing a villain like Mysterio and using his name to rob people felt cringe.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
This game has to be the best single player sony campaign since gow 2018. it is perfect. Great action. Great storytelling. Incredible setpieces. Perfect pacing. Im blown away tbh.

most games have one to two setpieces in a game. In this game, every story mission is a big setpiece. I dont ever want to hear complaints from SSM about how hard it is to do setpieces. Fuck you. learn from insomniac. Get gud. Maybe next time dont spend 5 years on single camera techniques and work on making some setpieces instead.

Also, just got to the venom reveal and again, every other game wouldve just played it safe, but nope, insomniac throws a massive setpiece at you that completely flips the narrative on its head. Wont spoil what it is, but i was not expecting them to take it there. Very refreshing to play a video game where I am actually surprised.

I hope this game becomes a blueprint on how to do proper story driven games. Even the walking sections arent bad. I remember wanting to kill myself in TLOU2 and Uncharted 4's walking levels. Here they are fun, engaging and go by fast. 5 minutes tops. Very similar to the uncharted 2 village level that started this ridiculous trend. Now we have 45 minute walking levels.

Lastly, really like the focus on 1v1 boss battles this time around. Very souls like and GOW inspired boss fights instead of the gimmicky boss battles from the first game. here they trusted their melee system to hold up in a 1v1 fight and every single fight has been fun. Im playing on normal and its been challenging though i havent died much. The parry system adds that final missing piece to the combat system which is crucial in some of these boss battles. I also love how the gadgets and abilities impact the bosses just like they do regular enemies. They dont just tank the hits.

P.S They even made MJ's sections fun. I never thought such a thing was possible lol

Zimmy68

What are the thoughts on the boss fights.

I am torn.
I hate the tired "refill the boss' health meter" 2 or 3 times and change a single mechanic trope.
I hated the unstoppable attack surprise the boss gets that kills you.
I hated the sponge adds (like Venom needs help)

But I loved...
You can use your gadgets like any other enemy and they work.
Parrying was fun and very forgiving (I usually suck at it)
Once you learn the boss' move set, you can quickly learn to adapt.

I also think the finisher move (O & ^) is too underpowered and I just saved Focus to heal.

Nothing makes me feel more like a superhero than getting punched by some skinny non-superhero woman and seeing 1/3 of my health bar disappear.

Interfectum

This game seems to be making a concerted effort to highlight its inclusivity, almost like a bait for online commentary. It's akin to a scenario where your boss walks into your office, introducing a new colleague who flaunts a My Little Pony diaper and sports purple hair, with everyone around seemingly awaiting a negative reaction from you instead of a neutral acceptance.

In this game, there's a constant influx of dialogue from NPCs discussing topics like overpopulation, environmental pollution, and their sexual orientations, among others. It's quite overt to the point where I half-expected the game to require playing via the PS5 camera, monitoring for any adverse reactions whenever an NPC shares personal details, like having a boyfriend, and potentially shutting off the game if any negative reaction is detected.

Last edited:

Twinblade

I'm still playing it, just taking my sweet time on it and make sure I get my money's worth. Gonna try and get 100% on trophies on it.

This game has to be the best single player sony campaign since gow 2018. it is perfect. Great action. Great storytelling. Incredible setpieces. Perfect pacing. Im blown away tbh.

most games have one to two setpieces in a game. In this game, every story mission is a big setpiece. I dont ever want to hear complaints from SSM about how hard it is to do setpieces. Fuck you. learn from insomniac. Get gud. Maybe next time dont spend 5 years on single camera techniques and work on making some setpieces instead.

Also, just got to the venom reveal and again, every other game wouldve just played it safe, but nope, insomniac throws a massive setpiece at you that completely flips the narrative on its head. Wont spoil what it is, but i was not expecting them to take it there. Very refreshing to play a video game where I am actually surprised.

I hope this game becomes a blueprint on how to do proper story driven games. Even the walking sections arent bad. I remember wanting to kill myself in TLOU2 and Uncharted 4's walking levels. Here they are fun, engaging and go by fast. 5 minutes tops. Very similar to the uncharted 2 village level that started this ridiculous trend. Now we have 45 minute walking levels.

Lastly, really like the focus on 1v1 boss battles this time around. Very souls like and GOW inspired boss fights instead of the gimmicky boss battles from the first game. here they trusted their melee system to hold up in a 1v1 fight and every single fight has been fun. Im playing on normal and its been challenging though i havent died much. The parry system adds that final missing piece to the combat system which is crucial in some of these boss battles. I also love how the gadgets and abilities impact the bosses just like they do regular enemies. They dont just tank the hits.

P.S They even made MJ's sections fun. I never thought such a thing was possible lol

Can’t wait for them to add Chapter / Encounter select and NG+

This game is very easily repayable like UC2.

sigmaZ

What are the thoughts on the boss fights.

I am torn.
I hate the tired "refill the boss' health meter" 2 or 3 times and change a single mechanic trope.
I hated the unstoppable attack surprise the boss gets that kills you.
I hated the sponge adds (like Venom needs help)

But I loved...
You can use your gadgets like any other enemy and they work.
Parrying was fun and very forgiving (I usually suck at it)
Once you learn the boss' move set, you can quickly learn to adapt.

I also think the finisher move (O & ^) is too underpowered and I just saved Focus to heal.
I feel mostly the same as you but I feel like they should almost all be one phase boss fights with an intermission in the middle. FF16 did this same kind of thing and it was annoying there too, but Spiderman 2 goes crazy with as many as five or six phases even.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I think I'm near the end of the main story, feels like I'm ready for the final showdown with Venom but I'll see. It's been a lot of fun. My only complaint is based on memory, I think I'm enjoying the side stuff less in this game than I did Spiderman 1. But that's just based on memory. The side stuff in this game is just ok IMO. My favorite were the Hunter HQs you had to take down because it encouraged stealth use. I remember the similar HQ stuff in Spiderman 1 being more fun and challenging though.

On a side note, MJ's taser is the most powerful attack in Marvel history. It would defeat Thanos in one shot.

A.Romero

Just finished it yesterday. Overall I liked it but not as much as 2018.

The combat was improved overall and it does change a lot during the game for the better with the new skills. The only thing I think it could be improved is making the effects of the abilities with "elemental" damage a little bit more prominent.

Side missions were kind of meh but I still enjoy swinging around to stop crimes. It was a bit of a chore to get enough hero coins for the upgrades and pretty much left it until the end which, in turn, I think made the game harder than it should be.

MJ needs to go, of course. I hope they don't triple down with Hailey next time.

The story was very derivative, but it was OK. The best part of the game was Venom's design, it's great. I wish they respected a bit more the source material about the symbiote's weaknesses (fire) and the hate Venom has for Spider-man was a little more evident.

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
I like the new movie suite, it looks very good and closer to the classic Spiderman suite.
spodemran.jpg

I finished the game a few days ago. The highlight for me was Kraven the Hunter, the VA was amazing and he steals the show every time he appears. What a bad ass fucking villain, so sociopathic that he constantly hunts for the ultimate fight.

"There are no good men, only good prey."

The soundtrack that plays in the background is badass too, Insomniac really gave him some amazing dialogue, scenes and design.

Two things that have been bugging me.

1) I really liked the photography side mission in 1, but in 2 it's both dumb and annoying. Last time it was stuff I actually was interested in finding (the Wakandan embassy, Dr Strange's house, etc.). I can see how they used everything up last time, but now the assignments are incredibly lame and then on top of it, that guy comes on and mansplains everything. *takes picture of a cafe* "Only in New York will you see people sitting around and drinking coffee!"

2) The complaints about police being in the first one are so silly when it's a game about vigilanteism. Training and licensing people to arrest people and then putting them on trial to determine their guilt is bad, but letting vigilantes attack people they think are committing crimes is okay? (I guess I should give this a pass because it's something people on the left really believe, but I won't.)

iorek21

Loved playing as you know who.

But I guess that’s it for him, right?

Also, is this Venom comic accurate? Tom Hardy’s version made me think him as some kind of antihero.

Laieon

1) I really liked the photography side mission in 1, but in 2 it's both dumb and annoying. Last time it was stuff I actually was interested in finding (the Wakandan embassy, Dr Strange's house, etc.). I can see how they used everything up last time, but now the assignments are incredibly lame and then on top of it, that guy comes on and mansplains everything. *takes picture of a cafe* "Only in New York will you see people sitting around and drinking coffee!"

As someone who is into actual street photography I don't mind the route they went this time around, art can definitely be found in the mundane (and, like you said, they used up a lot of touristy locations last time around). To me, it shows that Peter has grown as a photographer and can find nice stuff to photograph that isn't just yet another photo of the Manhattan Bridge from Brooklyn or popular locations... but then, yeah, that guy you're turning everything in to is a bit annoying and incredibly circle-jerky about NYC.

Loved playing as you know who.

But I guess that’s it for him, right?

Also, is this Venom comic accurate? Tom Hardy’s version made me think him as some kind of antihero.
Venom became so popular they turned him into an anti-hero. And had to create carnage to compensate.
But I stopped reading comics in the 90s so I have no idea what they are doing now.

By the way, I just fought a certain symbiote boss and the dialogue was so cringe it almost killed me.

Ulysses 31

Not to the 90s comics(where MJ was a photo model). Eddy Brock became Venom there and terrorised Peter for a while since he knew his secret identity.

Last edited:

3liteDragon

Just beat the story & finished 99.9% of the side stuff, gonna 100% & platinum tomorrow. This is easily the BEST fucking superhero game ever made by a COUNTRY MILE & one of the best game sequels I've played. The final hours are jaw-dropping, all the setups (there are setups in the side stuff as well, Flame ones & drone catching ones) for Spider-Man 3 are there & that game whenever the fuck it comes out is gonna be absolute fucking bonkers.

Things I didn't like:
- MJ missions, they're better than SM1 & I finished them all very quickly but I don't see the need for them to be in the game, completely unnecessary
- Brooklyn Vision side stuff were meh, prowler & spider-bot ones were alright but the rest of the side stuff were all:messenger_ok:imo, make sure you guys do them
- Wish Venom could've had more playtime

I'll update this post if i can think of any other negatives lol, everything else is top top-notch. Visuals, traversal, gameplay/combat, story, no other supe game comes CLOSE. I'm gonna play it again once the NG+ update drops in December I think, this is definitely one of my all time favorites.

There's also 2 post-credit scenes, BOTH are important & are setups for Spider-Man 3 as well.

9.75/10

I've taken 84 screenshots during my 5-hour play session today so I'm gonna take a long break & go to sleep cause my head's all fucked & sift through those tomorrow to post in the thread. I'll post a few here rn.

IMG_6368.png

IMG_6390.png

IMG_6373.png

IMG_6371.png

IMG_6395.png

IMG_6396.png

IMG_6397.png

IMG_6404.png

IMG_6398.png

IMG_6414.png

IMG_6415.png

IMG_6405.png

IMG_6411.png

Last edited:

sigmaZ

Just finished the
Scream
boss battle, holy shit the cringefest during this segment was unbearable. Sony Studios seriously need to chill with the constant yapping during boss fights it's getting ridiculous now.
Yeah and how it resolves when
MJ immediately calls and quits made my butthole fall out my anus

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I jumped back in for a few hours and this game is glorious to me.

Sure, it's gutting that the random crimes are still a bit poop but man...just traversing around new York and doing odd side quests etc is glorious. Its not wearing thin and there's some really touching writing. It's just a brilliant game so far. Can't wait to get back in tonight. Juggling this, starfield and Alan wake 2 at the same time...with dashes of Mario wonder just let's you know how much of an insane year its been. Never mind wrc, forza, gt7 and all my brilliant fun quest 3 games I'm playing.

Never has there been so many good games coming out at a steady clip.

But from my few hours with spider man 2, it's absolutely a game of the year contender for me. Beautiful game and nails spider man perfectly.

Strange how I just want to play as Peter in this, when I loved miles morales. Maybe that will change as I get further in.

Zimmy68

I'm in the end game and I think they should have given better bonuses for random crimes.
Unlike the last game, you don't need to do a certain amount for each district (unless I am missing something).
So, all you get is XP. I'm at max level so I happily swing by burning buses and venom attacks on citizens.
I need suit upgrades and these don't help at all.

buenoblue

WOW WOW WOW. Just finished the game and what a masterpiece. Easily my favourite game of this gen. Playing on 65 inch QD OLED with Atmos/3d sound cranked up.

At first I was a little underwhelmed with the sand levels. But damn, from saving Dr Conner onwards this was outstanding. Movie quality graphics, amazing setpieces, the pace the scenes play out with no loading. AMAZING.

By the end you have so many special moves and attacks the fights are insane. And I've never seen graphics like it.

I'm starting a new game straight away lol and I've never done this in my life.

Coming from Starfield this is just embarrassing what Bethesda are doing compared to this.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Finished it yesterday. I really liked it. Don't think I liked it any more or less than Spidy 1, about the same. I think I spent more time on Spidy 1. It felt like it had more content. This game was gorgeous though. Never got tired of swinging around. Didn't platinum it. I didn't feel like doing the camera stuff.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I was fighting Kraven, my senses dulled by cold medicine, and I just barely won the fight with what had to be 1 HP left ..... and the damn game crashed for the first time for me. :(

I miss the fake twitter from the first game. It made the world feel a little livelier. I also think the game could have used more J. Jonah Jameson's pathetic complaining. I'm well past the midmark and I am pretty sure I've only heard three of his broadcasts, and they were all rather short.

Top Bottom