• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvin's Mittens |OT| Being a kid once again (2D Crackdown!)

Roquentin

ibixVVCDnNhDyV.png

Marvin's Mittens | developed by Breakfall | Single Player | 2D Plaformer | Controller Enabled

Release date
December 10th, 2012​
Platform
Windows​
Where to buy
Desura* (free demo available) | Vote for Marvin's Mittens on Steam Greenlight

* Don't be discouraged by Desura, creating account is fast and painless and you can even play the game without running Desura client. If you want to wait for Steam version, make sure it gets there by using the Steam Greenlight link above.
Pricing
$4.99 / €3.99 / £2.99​
Links

About the game
Marvin's Mittens is a story of a little boy on a quest to find his mitten that was stolen by a mysterious thief. It's a charming and relaxing adventure, with great art and wonderful music. In Marvin's Mittens you can't die and you can't fail. Just enjoy exploring the world and experience the nostalgic trip to your own childhood, when everything around you was full of secrets and magic.​

Videos & Screenshots

You can find Custom Steam icons for Grid View here (courtesy of Last Baron).

JasoNsider of Breakfall was giving out free copies of Marvin's Mittens in this thread (giveaway ended on January 1st 2013). If you got your key, but not played the game yet, give it a try. If you like it, remember to vote for Marvin's Mittens on Steam Greenlight.

GAF reviews
The game was fantastic. Ended up being the true sequel to Crackdown of all things.....gotta get those orbs to jump higher! Platforming for the joy and peace of it.

I let my son play it and he loves it. Especially since there's no added pressure of winning/losing. It's refreshing. In his words: "It's fun to play a game where you just play".

Just got it and tried it for a while, and I gotta say... 2-D Christmas Crackdown? Yes PLEASE!

Just finished the entire game, including finding all the snowflakes/animals. All I have to say is WOW :) That was a lot of fun! The length was perfect and I loved the ending. The platforming, art, and music is all really awesome.

Just finished this game 100%, amazing through and through, made me want to find every last thing in the game.

I found myself playing well past when I though I was going to tonight. Collecting snowflakes is fun and addictive, and everything is warm and charming.

My son insisted on playing this today INSTEAD of watching Thomas or Bob the Builder. Good job :)

It's a fantastic little game with beautiful music and visuals. My son walked in just as I started playing it and I ultimately gave it up to him after collecting a bunch of snowflakes myself.

Just finished it with the gf playing along with me. We absolutely loved it. We smiled a ton! You guys did a outstanding job and this is one of my all time favorite indie games by far. The ending was great and the soundtrack is just wonderful! Bravo! I am telling everyone I can about Marvins Mittens.!

Just finished it. The game is magical. Adorable art and the voice acting is just perfect. This would have made a perfect addition to the latest Humble Bundle, I think. Thank you for the code!

This game has been great the past few evenings for sitting back and relaxing. It really captures the feeling of exploration and spending all day out in the snow. (Although I didn't meet any elves as a child, so I guess Marvin beats me there.).

I absolutely loved the game and found it to be very charming, I adored the art and the music. The platforming was also fun, especially when your powers grew and you could fly around far longer. The added gameplay variations were also suprising and enjoyable.

Amazing thread!

Just wanted to show an awesome photo from the launch party! The little dude in the front is the voice of Marvin :)

What a great time! One of our family members had made us all Marvin scarves and hats! Just in time for this crazy snow and cold we've got in Ottawa :)

Also, to answer a question from the other thread that I'll bring over here (as this OT is ballin!):

How many votes does it take to end up in the top 100 anyway?

We're unsure, but it's a floating target anyway and is probably at least double the amount of votes we've already received - which is quite a lot!

Kammie

Just wanted to show an awesome photo from the launch party! The little dude in the front is the voice of Marvin :)
I like how he's wearing one mitten! Ha.

A great game, you guys really captured part of the wonder of childhood with it. Greenlight seems tough, but I wish you luck.

Roquentin

Congrats to everyone involved with this project!

We're unsure, but it's a floating target anyway and is probably at least double the amount of votes we've already received - which is quite a lot!
Hopefully, one of the big gaming sites will give the game some spotlight it deserves. To be honest, it's not a kind of game most people get interested in at first glance. I probably should have added Crackdown reference in this thread title to gather more attention from fellow Gaffers.

Re: The game, having your mother call you in as a time limit mechanic was clever.
Not only is it a nice way to implement time limit, it also servers as a very unique storytelling technique and it greatly affects overall atmosphere of the game (at least for me it did). And the save screen music is amazing!

EDIT: Well, someone is watching :) Thanks for the title change!

Ricker

Very nice...also you guys might get a lot of votes tonight for Greenlight on Steam...just watched the TV show M.Net with Angele Desjardins talking about the game...again,grats.

Very nice...also you guys might get a lot of votes tonight for Greenlight on Steam...just watched the TV show M.Net with Angele Desjardins talking about the game...again,grats.

That was a lot of fun! We went down to Montreal for the day yesterday and the production crew were so awesome :)

Piercedveil said:
Man, I still wish TotalBiscuit would do a WTF is... of this game! Definitely deserves the attention.

We'll see if we can get in touch with him. I think he'd enjoy it!

Roquentin

Crackdown? What Crackdown?
The Xbox360-Exclusive-Made-By-GTA-Creator-Came-With-Halo-3-Beta Crackdown. While the theme and style of these two games are very different, the feeling of being able to traverse levels quicker and get to new places with every snowflake collected in Marvin's Mittens is quite similar to the one induced by orb hunting in Crackdown.

The Xbox360-Exclusive-Made-By-GTA-Creator-Came-With-Halo-3-Beta Crackdown. While the theme and style of these two games are very different, the feeling of being able to traverse levels quicker and get to new places with every snowflake collected in Marvin's Mittens is quite similar to the one induced by orb hunting in Crackdown.

Oh okay, because I could not see any connection between the two. Haven't done enough research though. Seems like a cool game, I'll give it a try.

I love this game - easily one of the best indie games of 2012. Hell, it's in my top 5 games of the year period.

I wish I knew of a way to get this game more exposure. I know a lot of people are looking forward to a Steam release, but from what I'm hearing, Greenlight needs a startlingly high number of votes to get through to Valve.

Even games from well-known indie developers like Nifflas (Knytt Underground), and well-reviewed games from console developers like Wayforward (Shantae) are sitting in Greenlight with no real chance at getting Greenlit anytime soon. I guess all we can do as fans is continue to recommend the game to people, and encourage everyone to upvote on Greenlight in the meantime. GAF has really helped get the game in a lot of people's hands, and generate a lot of positive buzz, but the Greenlight "wall" is much taller than even a huge forum like GAF can climb on its own it seems.

Ave22

Bumping for some help. I'm in the Drafty Flats and I happened to lead the pickaxe elf to a wall on the far end of the level, where he then broke the wall and opened the secret path to Evergreen Hill. The problem is that the elf did not open the path to the previous area first, so now I have no way of opening that connection, and I have to proceed on foot from the frozen falls onward, taking up a lot of my day time. Is there any way I can get this connection opened up?

Bumping for some help. I'm in the Drafty Flats and I happened to lead the pickaxe elf to a wall on the far end of the level, where he then broke the wall and opened the secret path to Evergreen Hill. The problem is that the elf did not open the path to the previous area first, so now I have no way of opening that connection, and I have to proceed on foot from the frozen falls onward, taking up a lot of my day time. Is there any way I can get this connection opened up?

Ah, I think I know what's going on! Going to send you a PM :)

Tiu Neo

Sorry for the bump, but finally got to play it today, what a great game, very charming. I really like the way you guys did the fast travel system, really clever.

The exploration feeling is also very addicting, reminded me a bit of Glitch (RIP). Also, there are a lot of little touches here and there that make me smile.

Best of luck to you guys, you deserve it!

Top Bottom