• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mask Efficacy |OT| Wuhan!! Got You All In Check

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jooxed

Gold Member
Government insiders around my work in the DC area saying within the next 72 hours a nation lockdown Italy style announced essential personnel only. Take with a grain of salt.

Spain

:messenger_sad_relieved:

no it went up again

oJwq4ae.png

Last edited:

Cybrwzrd

Banned
It's a bet then? Two week ban, me and you?

Whats the condition, that in 2 weeks there will be less active cases globally than today? Because there certainly will be more active cases in 2 weeks than there are today.

You'd have to be, as V4skunk V4skunk likes to put it, Low IQ; to take that bet.

Last edited:
Ontario, Canada declares State of Emergency.

So we have a press conference yesterday to announce absolutely nothing, then another today to announce absolutely nothing except the closure of bars and restaurants. It's a start I guess but meh.

Anyway my gig tonight is now cancelled. That's fine with me, I fucking hate singing home for a rest anyway 😂

Kadayi

Banned
So question from a PA guy. We were told to close non essential businesses and avoid large gatherings

My job involves driving from my home to another person's private residence (usually a suburban house) in a private vehicle. So does that count? Or is just public business fronts like retail that they were talking about because that's the only one they mentioned specifically

Public businesses where you get a lot of foot traffic and chance for infection spread. If say you're doing one on one care work and neither of you is currently infected and are maintaining social isolation other wise you should be fine. Plenty of people who live at home still require care workers in attendance.

Gp1

Spain

:messenger_sad_relieved:

Leet Spain.

Ain't some countries forcing a early lockdown are doing more harm than good?

I mean, if the hospitals are not overburden or close to be, there is no need to a complete lockdown as it won't help to treat the group risk infected. (Which def. is not the case of stpain, Italy etc.)

Another thing, this crisis is more about supply than offer. So I doesn't matter if government injects trillions in the economy if no one is going out buying and no one is manufacturing. What we should do now is prepare the economy to be in a better position when the economy begin to warm up again. Or we won't have many healhy business around.

Last edited:
H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Get this shit you savages:
BM040.00.jpeg

I am using this due to Psoriasis for years and it's better than any toilet paper.

I ordered one for my new bathroom but the builder is stuck in Norway. May have to figure out how to install it myself at home. Had a look on Youtube and it doesn't seem an impossible task thankfully.

Pantz

Reports from Oregon:

My brother said he went to Walmart yesterday morning and there was a single National Guard at the entrance, not doing anything or saying anything and that only a few other shoppers were inside, with many of the shelves empty. - He's been known to tell tall tales so I cannot confirm.

There was about 40% less traffic on the way to work yesterday. It's still a little relaxed here in my county but still feels eerie. I also listened to the FFVI world of ruin song on my drive. Expecting there to be less today.

Starfield

The part with the mutations is completely out of touch with reality. So it's just a nice attempt to fuck with people. But apart from that some of it was true anyway, so respect if it was really posted like that.
Viruses mutate all the time. Thats why we have to make a new vaccine for influenza every year. I'm not sure if coronaviruses are mutate faster/stronger, but somewhere I read that between China and Italy outbreak the virus had mutated already over 13 times.

betrayal

Banned
Viruses mutate all the time. Thats why we have to make a new vaccine for influenza every year. I'm not sure if coronaviruses are mutate faster/stronger, but somewhere I read that between China and Italy outbreak the virus had mutated already over 13 times.

I'm not talking about the 0815 basics that everyone knows about viruses. I meant the "when the virus reaches Brazilian bats it mutates and becomes much more dangerous" part. It was just too much. The guy posting this should have left that out.

Last edited:

Starfield

I'm not talking about the 0815 basics that everyone knows about viruses. I meant the "when the virus reaches Brazilian bats it mutates and becomes much more dangerous" part. It was just too much. The guy posting this should have left that out.
Well idk about that lol

but something just came to my mind regarding sumemr and another potential high risk situation: Mosqitoes

In Summer lots and lots of mosqitoes will fly around transferring the virus from one human to another...is that possible?

I have a runny nose and cough. Is this just a normal cold?

yes, you're fucked... no you're fine

I've been feeling sniffles and feverish all week from anxiety alone I would not take it serious, I would walk to my nearest drive-thru testing if that was a thing. Stay calm and download Animal Crossing.

we will all get through this give it 14 days.

I've been feeling sniffles and feverish all week from anxiety alone I would not take it serious, I would walk to my nearest drive-thru testing if that was a thing. Stay calm and download Animal Crossing.

It's never been a better time to be a gamer. Ori, AC, full Xbox reveal, two week gaming holiday. I haven't played Rocket League all week unfortunately, been busy with home office work. But I'm imagining a heaven of no queues and easy wins against all the kids off school.

Fun Fanboy

Banned
It’s not trolling though. The narrative has shifted to protect the Chinese because everyone is terrified of them.

Remember when the NBA took China’s side over the HK protestors? Insane.
True.

And not sure why everyone is flipping out. I mean, there's a Spanish Flu, and nobody is shitting their pants about that. Because of it maybe, but...

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog

As someone who suffers from health anxiety I can confirm that you can worry yourself into a fever. Also, allergies can cause a fever.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
It's never been a better time to be a gamer. Ori, AC, full Xbox reveal, two week gaming holiday. I haven't played Rocket League all week unfortunately, been busy with home office work. But I'm imagining a heaven of no queues and easy wins against all the kids off school.

I would be enormously surprised if the xbox came out before all this shit calmed down. Not an ideal time to be releasing any product.

As someone who suffers from health anxiety I can confirm that you can worry yourself into a fever. Also, allergies can cause a fever.

yep this is true, I had many worries beyond this. I have bills and this thing is blocking some deals I needed to go through this week so I think I've been stressing on those things I know I have not left my home much so yeah.

Can't wait to play some Animal Crossing

New York governor: We have "no plan whatsoever" to quarantine New York City
New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo said there are no plans to quarantine New York City, despite rumors and fears.

"We hear New York City is going to quarantine itself — that is not true," Cuomo said at a news conference, adding that cities would need to get state approval to make such orders.

"We have no interest whatsoever — and no plan whatsoever — to quarantine any city," he said.
Earlier today, New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio said he is "absolutely considering" ordering the city's residents to shelter in place during the coronavirus pandemic.

"Right now we have taken a series of steps to reduce the number of people who are circulating around," he said. "But we're going to look at all other options, and it could get to that for sure."

the Mayor does not seem to feel the same watching him live right now

Last edited:
H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
A couple of entirely random thoughts circulating in my tiny brain.

1. We really ought to be going to some kind of rationing system sooner rather than later, as we did in WW2. However, how the fuck do you implement that in the world of online? That time a voucher physically existed and you'd take it to the shop and be allowed your purchase, but that's not feasible with online shopping - the potential to double-spend tokens is huge.
2. We can't get to hairdressers under lockdown. We're all going to be hairy motherfuckers with hair to our ankles or we're going to be doing it DIY - not sure which is scarier. My wife has made it clear that I won't be allowed near her hair!

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Girlfriend works in events, finally got the grim news. Voluntary redundancy on the table from now until 10am tomorrow when they start making cuts. 10-15 people losing their jobs (about 1/3 of the work force), everyone who stays will have shared responsibilities and a 20% pay cut. She's putting a case together now to fight for her job tomorrow. Grim.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
New answers from the Doc.

Any concern with nasal steroid sprays like Flonase? Thanks!
I wouldn't consider any nasal steroids to likely be dangerous as the amount systemically absorbed is very low. In addition as I stated previously controlling allergies is going to be important to help decrease the amount of coughing.

What's your thoughts on asthma meds such as albuterol or symbicort if your showing signs.
Those medications should be fine as there is not much systematic absorbtion of steroid with inhalers. Albuterol should be fine as it is a beta agonist and not a steroid.

I would recommend taking your asthma medications regularly because you want your lungs as healthy as possible!

Im generally not a hypochondriac but I've had a tightness in my chest today and have been needing to take extra deep breaths since it started. Early 30s. Good general health.

Worth noting that I had a physical Friday and nurse practitioner didn't comment on lung exam. Flu and TBAP adminiatered(I posted on the thread Saturday about that). Lab results were fine. LDL barely above optimal. White blood count a little low. Creatinine slightly elevated.

Slight cough/congestion that I've attributed to seasonal allergies. Needing to clear throat and the like.

Breathing/tightness has not prevented me from ADL but it's there. Any chance this could also be allergy related? At what point would you become worried and to call someone?

I generally get allergies this time of year but not asthmatic responses.

A combination of stress and allergies is the most likely cause. With all of the talk of COVID-19 it is not uncommon to think you may have it.

I use Spiriva and Advair for COPD. Any concerns about continuing to use these two inhalers?
No concerns. Spiriva is a long acting Muscarinic Antagonist (LAMA) while advair is an inhaled steroid not much at all is systemically absorbed. Like the other person I answered you want your lungs to function as well as possible just in case you do get ill you have more reserve available.

Finally his update for the day

What happened today?

As testing finally started to ramp up a little so did the total cases. We went from 3.680 total cases to 4,667 adding 987 cases in the past 24 hrs. Lots of people panicking as they see the numbers rise. We also added 19 fatalities to the numbers. Unfortunately the fatality rate remained at 1.8% but I fully expect it to start declining as more of the less severe people who carry the disease get tested. So stay calm this means currently 98.2% are surviving the infection and this will increase. However, it will likely get worse before it gets better. The total numbers will rise so focus on the mortality rate.

Why are they closing down the bars and restaurants? What are they not telling me?

Because this disease affects everyone differently it makes it very dangerous. Unlike the FLU who get sick rapidly and feel bad so they usually stay home. Many of the people under age 50 have minimal or no symptoms so they continue to spread the disease unknowingly which would not be a problem except that around 15% get seriously ill and about 5% get critically ill. So by not knowing who is infected we have to take extreme measures to reduce interactions with everyone.

We have been doing social distancing since last Thursday so why are the cases still going up?

Unfortunately, this virus has an incubation period from 2 to 10 days so it will likely take 1-2 weeks worth to start to see numbers level off and go down. The good news is the cases we are seeing now are almost certainly ones that were contracted prior to these measures taking place. Remember less than a week ago we had 15,000+ fans per night at NBA and NHL games so lots of people were potentially getting infected at the same time. Be patient and continue to practice social distancing and the numbers will decline soon.

Things you can do to help.

Many small businesses and restaurants are being hit hard financially. If a restaurant is closed then order some take out food, buy gift cards. Support your small and local business whenever you can to help keep them stay in business during these trying times.

Last edited:

Wvrs

I feel so bad for my friends back home who are in hospitality. I worked in the industry for 10 years and by a stroke of luck recently left to take up a government job overseas where my salary and position is protected until this craziness is all over. But so many people I know in the restaurant, bar and hotel trade back home have already been laid off or had their hours slashed to unlivable standards.

Basic income when?

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
From the BBC https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-51921683

The UK government's chief scientific adviser Sir Patrick Vallance is appearing at the House of Common's health committee.

He tells MPs that the UK should start to see rates of infection come down in two to three weeks.

He says it would be "a good outcome" if the number of coronavirus-related deaths in the UK can be kept to below 20,000.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom