• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mask Efficacy |OT| Wuhan!! Got You All In Check

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jtibh

Banned
Final update summary at the end of the day.
Today was soo eventful i dont think we can top it tomorrow. It might be a slow news day.

• Australia prepares 2nd stimulus package
  • Canada closes borders to foreign travelers
  • New York State closes schools for 2 weeks
  • Dutch PM says experts believe 'most' citizens will catch virus
  • House leaders postpone return to Washington 'indefinitely'
  • US airports seek $10B in gov't assistance, per CNN
  • Trump tweets US will "powerfully support" industries life airlines
  • MLB opening day 'indefinitely delayed'
  • New Jersey reports 80% jump in cases
  • Italy reports another 3,233 cases, 349 deaths
  • France orders people to stay home for 15 days
  • CDC says employee has tested positive
  • EU finance ministers announce 'coordinated fiscal response' worth 1% of GDP
  • White House releases new 'national guidelines' to stop virus
  • San Francisco earmarks $10M for those who miss work due to outbreak
  • El Salvador and Mexico spar over flight out of Mexico City:
  • Maryland governor bars utilities for turning off service for non payment
  • Barr tells American prosecutors to crack down on any virus-related fraud:
  • SF mayor orders residents to shelter in place beginning at midnight
  • 6 Bay Area counties to issue 'shelter in place' order
  • Actor Idris Elba tests positive
  • WH conference set for 3:30pmET
  • G-7 releases communique about 'coordinated' virus response
  • Trump tells governors to try and get their own respirators
  • Washington State shuts down bars, restaurants for 2 weeks
  • McDonald's closes dining areas at company owned restaurants, asks franchisees to do the same
  • First cases confirmed in Tanzania, Somalia
  • Ohio requests to delay primary until June 2
  • Russia 'limits' entry of foreigners
  • Roche starts shipment of 400,000 tests
  • UK reports 18 new deaths, asks citizens to avoid all non-essential contact and travel, but avoids public closures
  • S&P cuts Boeing's credit rating 2 notches
  • Chile tightens borders, bans foreigners from entry
  • Kudlow teases helicopter money; Romney pushes plan to hand every US adult $1,000
  • Cuomo warns US might not succeed in flattening the curve enough
  • Lombardy reports smallest jump in new cases since beginning of outbreak
  • Greenland reports first case
  • Google's virus website booked up on first day of operation
  • Moscow bans all events with more than 50 people
  • Top Iranian cleric dies
  • Germany closes restaurants, bars, gyms and nightclubs until further notice.
  • EU Commission bars "non-EU citizens" from entering the area, but refuses to cave on internal controls
  • NY, NJ, Conn bar large gatherings
  • Israel mulls national lockdown

Blond

Banned
This is how we react to a disease that's not even deadly. How the hell could we handle one that was?

By using what we learned as how to react to one that is? I don't think there's anything wrong with wanting to stop the spread of a new disease that damages people's organs even if they recover. We don't know the long term effects of this and it's an appropriate reaction given the circumstances.

User reply banned. The cuck thread is this way: https://www.neogaf.com/threads/sir-i-think-your-wife-is-very-attractive.1531590/
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
:messenger_tears_of_joy: I'm not Chinese.

So why did the epicenter of the virus do so much better at containing it than you, who has had 2 months to prepare?

And this bois and grls is why the virus is here to stay;

An estimated 17.9% of those infected with coronavirus will remain asymptomatic for the duration of the infection

They did a terrible job containing it and then scrambled with totalitarian measures to mitigate the disaster all while using their puppets at the WHO to downplay the situation and run damage control.

Last edited by a moderator:

V4skunk

Banned
China literally blaming the US for the virus outbreak in Wuhan....

ETRmNW5UMAEGfzl
Yeah and note that the Chinese are saying it is a bioweapon.

Kadayi

Banned
Death numbers are going up though, that's concerning.

Versus the overall, it's still pretty low though at around 3.4% (assuming my pre-coffee Math is correct) The estimates from China were around 1 in 29 infections and that's in that ballpark. The higher Deathtolls seem to arise from where effective treatment isn't available, so as long as the infection rate stays moderate or goes down, we should hopefully see deaths slow down.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
People suck. Went to get some last supplies before the lock yesterday and made a quick trip to Sainsbury’s to see if there was anything worth looting, and some dumb bitch was coughing all over the bakery section over baked stuff that wasn’t wrapped or covered. So pro tip right now, don’t buy any food that the public can cough on.

Mate most of the people here getting their info from msm fake news

The funniest one I saw was a Corona virus fake news bingo card on FB (it was serious though, shared by a far-left philosophy academic). Basically it was a list of what you're not allowed to think.

It had a disclaimer: "What is fake news today, might not be tomorrow!" I thought, that perfectly sums up the MSM's approach to FN.

Last edited:
TUESDAY MORNING A GO-GO.

STAY SAFE GAFFERS.

I saw a neighbour walking his dog with a facemask. I'm nervous about wearing mine (conformity lol) but I should (I got a nice one).

Seriously though, Slovakia is a corrupt country (it murders journalists). It recently allocated about 12 million for facemasks, and the companies getting the money are all completely newly registered and owned by politicians. Easy money from EU.

Round up the sheep, the NWO are coming. Put me on your ignore list if the word conspiracy is frightening.

Last edited:
TUESDAY MORNING A GO-GO.

STAY SAFE GAFFERS.

I saw a neighbour walking his dog with a facemask. I'm nervous about wearing mine (conformity lol) but I should (I got a nice one).

Seriously though, Slovakia is a corrupt country (it murders journalists). It recently allocated about 12 million for facemasks, and the companies getting the money are all completely newly registered and owned by politicians. Easy money from EU.

Round up the sheep, the NWO are coming. Put me on your ignore list if the word conspiracy is frightening.

Mask won't protect you. Save it to wipe your bottom when paper toilet runs out.

sinnergy

Mask won't protect you. Save it to wipe your bottom when paper toilet runs out.
That’s what they want you to believe , why are doctors in full masks , three suits , gloves and glasses in China and Italy? They do work the fpp3 type have virus filters, but you also need gloves and glasses that are fully closed. And handle the masks with care don’t touch with bare hands afterwards and throw them away after couple of use .

It’s about supply to hospitals . It’s still saver than breathing through nothing.

Last edited:
That’s what they want you to believe , why are doctors in full masks , three suits , gloves and glasses in China and Italy? They do work the fpp3 type have virus filters, but you also need gloves and glasses that are fully closed. And handle the masks with care don’t touch with bare hands afterwards and throw them away after couple of use .

It’s about supply to hospitals . It’s still saver than breathing through nothing.
It was a joke.

VertigoOA

Banned
surprised construction sites in Manhattan haven’t been shut down yet. I doubt they will... so what? Just expect for the workforce to not show up as they have started to do?

Not sure which post apocalyptic future we’re looking at... Division or Death Stranding?

Goddamnit

Last edited:

Kenpachii

Netherlands basically predicts 60% will be effected at the end of the year in our country, Country will keep open and not on lockdown until hospitals start to get in danger with capacities which isn't the case right now. There is no point in a lockdown for anything else then that. Because even if you lock the country down you'll just end up getting infected anyway the moment it goes off lockdown.

Also lol at china starting production up again, RIp there old people. what a shit hole of a country.

Also a funny thing is that the EU simple is nowhere to be found at this point its everybody for themselves. Funny how nobody trusts those communists in brussel even remotely when shit hits the fan.

E-Cat

Netherlands basically predicts 60% will be effected at the end of the year in our country, Country will keep open and not on lockdown until hospitals start to get in danger with capacities which isn't the case right now. There is no point in a lockdown for anything else then that. Because even if you lock the country down you'll just end up getting infected anyway the moment it goes off lockdown.

Also lol at china starting production up again, RIp there old people. what a shit hole of a country.

Also a funny thing is that the EU simple is nowhere to be found at this point its everybody for themselves. Funny how nobody trusts those communists in brussel even remotely when shit hits the fan.
Which at that point could be too late, even if you react with 100% efficiency.

Also, even if the Netherlands does achieve herd immunity, do we have actual data on how long the immunization will last? What if you lose it within a year?

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member

Alx

If anything it shows that being a EU member doesn't remove your own sovereignty. But the different governments still discuss their decisions trough videoconferences, and try for a more consistent strategy. Also the major role of EU as it is is to make sure that all countries still have access to common necessities, and can guarantee economical stability of its weaker members if necessary (the funds created after the subprime crisis will prove useful there). Brussels also made sure there was better control of mask production and sales within EU (and for non EU markets)
It does show that the union may need better common infrastructures in case of crisis though. It will probably be discussed on how the crisis could have been better handled with a more centralized approach. So in the end, more EU.

jts

...hate me...
I can get over the panic for myself but my dad is 60 with a history of lung issues, chain-smoker. Lives with 3 other people. Businessman and can't be talked out of running still some errands about it (especially as the biz just crashed down hard from the Covid crisis). So I'm worried sick for him.

Doczu

Don't worry UK, Dutch and German bros. It's just an eugenics program. The goal isn't to get to 60% infected, it's "60% of the population survives as the rest are old farts that will help the country budget if they kick the bucket" /s

Although i don't knoe if you can call it /s when a lot of your population are old geezers 🤔

Airola

Final update summary at the end of the day.
Today was soo eventful i dont think we can top it tomorrow. It might be a slow news day.

• Australia prepares 2nd stimulus package
  • Canada closes borders to foreign travelers
  • New York State closes schools for 2 weeks
  • Dutch PM says experts believe 'most' citizens will catch virus
  • House leaders postpone return to Washington 'indefinitely'
  • US airports seek $10B in gov't assistance, per CNN
  • Trump tweets US will "powerfully support" industries life airlines
  • MLB opening day 'indefinitely delayed'
  • New Jersey reports 80% jump in cases
  • Italy reports another 3,233 cases, 349 deaths
  • France orders people to stay home for 15 days
  • CDC says employee has tested positive
  • EU finance ministers announce 'coordinated fiscal response' worth 1% of GDP
  • White House releases new 'national guidelines' to stop virus
  • San Francisco earmarks $10M for those who miss work due to outbreak
  • El Salvador and Mexico spar over flight out of Mexico City:
  • Maryland governor bars utilities for turning off service for non payment
  • Barr tells American prosecutors to crack down on any virus-related fraud:
  • SF mayor orders residents to shelter in place beginning at midnight
  • 6 Bay Area counties to issue 'shelter in place' order
  • Actor Idris Elba tests positive
  • WH conference set for 3:30pmET
  • G-7 releases communique about 'coordinated' virus response
  • Trump tells governors to try and get their own respirators
  • Washington State shuts down bars, restaurants for 2 weeks
  • McDonald's closes dining areas at company owned restaurants, asks franchisees to do the same
  • First cases confirmed in Tanzania, Somalia
  • Ohio requests to delay primary until June 2
  • Russia 'limits' entry of foreigners
  • Roche starts shipment of 400,000 tests
  • UK reports 18 new deaths, asks citizens to avoid all non-essential contact and travel, but avoids public closures
  • S&P cuts Boeing's credit rating 2 notches
  • Chile tightens borders, bans foreigners from entry
  • Kudlow teases helicopter money; Romney pushes plan to hand every US adult $1,000
  • Cuomo warns US might not succeed in flattening the curve enough
  • Lombardy reports smallest jump in new cases since beginning of outbreak
  • Greenland reports first case
  • Google's virus website booked up on first day of operation
  • Moscow bans all events with more than 50 people
  • Top Iranian cleric dies
  • Germany closes restaurants, bars, gyms and nightclubs until further notice.
  • EU Commission bars "non-EU citizens" from entering the area, but refuses to cave on internal controls
  • NY, NJ, Conn bar large gatherings
  • Israel mulls national lockdown

You can add Finland to that list.
Yesterday we were told to close most schools (preschools and grades 1-3 are still open with an option for kids to stay home if necessary), cancel all meetings with over 10 people, close theaters, all over 70-year-old people have to quarantee themselves etc.

Last edited:

sinnergy

Which at that point could be too late, even if you react with 100% efficiency.

Also, even if the Netherlands does achieve herd immunity, do we have actual data on how long the immunization will last? What if you lose it within a year?
It will take us minimum of 10 months .

But when next wave hit they get scared and lock down anyway .

3 weeks tops. Italy 2 In the making . With 4000 icu’s.

starting with the early birds today who already dropped some numbers overnight - South Korea still steady

lEScAMT.png

184K total cases expects USA spikes if they are testing

GHG

In other news - I think it really hit the mrs yesterday. She's worried and tbh I'm getting a bit scared myself. This shit really doesn't look good right now. It's quite difficult to concentrate on my work when my brain is just racing with "fuck the world's ending". I'll man up eventually, just finding it a little tricky at the moment.

From the PDF you linked:

ujMErhA.png

People need to understand it's not the death rates that are the most concerning thing here, it's the % of people requiring critical care.

• 1 in 10 for 50-59 once hospitalised
  • almost 1 in 3 for 60-69
  • coming up to 1 in 2 for 70-79
  • 80+ doesn't bear thinking about
These are numbers that are crippling for any healthcare system and in turn have an effect where people with other medical problems can't get the required help/facilities so end up dying. It also becomes a death sentence for those who get COVID-19 and require critical care at a point when hospitals are already at full capacity.

This is what a serious virus with no vaccine looks like. This is why it's not "just the flu bro".

Last edited:

TheContact

standard sugical masks won’t stop you from getting the virus because they aren’t sealed. It will help to prevent you from spreading it though if you’re contaminated. The doctors who are performing the tests on patients used sealed masks.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
From the PDF you linked:

ujMErhA.png

People need to understand it's not the death rates that are the most concerning thing here, it's the % of people requiring critical care.

• 1 in 10 for 50-59 once hospitalised
  • almost 1 in 3 for 60-69
  • coming up to 1 in 2 for 70-79
  • 80+ doesn't bear thinking about
These are numbers that are crippling for any healthcare system and in turn have an effect where people with other medical problems can't get the required help/facilities so end up dying. It also becomes a death sentence for those who get COVID-19 and require critical care at a point when hospitals are already at full capacity.

This is what a serious virus with no vaccine looks like. This is why it's not "just the flu bro".
This chart displays hospitalization rates among those who showed up to the doctor complaining about symptoms.

From the start, doctors confirmed (and continue to confirm) that ~80% of people are asymptomatic or have mild-enough symptoms that they never show up to get it checked.

Not only does this imply it is far more widespread than official reports (I think most would agree on that), but it's also far less deadly than these charts are indicating. If you have ~184k cases worldwide and 7,182 deaths yeah that's a pretty big deal.

But what if the total number of infected is actually in the millions / tens of millions? Suddenly that death toll doesn't look so alarming, now does it?

In my mind, the only missing variable is to check how many people already have coronavirus antibodies in their system (a very different test and probably harder to conduct). I'd expect that millions upon millions have already gotten the virus and recovered without seeing a doctor once.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
This chart displays hospitalization rates among those who showed up to the doctor complaining about symptoms.

From the start, doctors confirmed (and continue to confirm) that ~80% of people are asymptomatic or have mild-enough symptoms that they never show up to get it checked.

Not only does this imply it is far more widespread than official reports (I think most would agree on that), but it's also far less deadly than these charts are indicating. If you have ~184k cases worldwide and 7,182 deaths yeah that's a pretty big deal.

But what if the total number of infected is actually in the millions / tens of millions? Suddenly that death toll doesn't look so alarming, now does it?

In my mind, the only missing variable is to check how many people already have coronavirus antibodies in their system (a very different test and probably harder to conduct). I'd expect that millions upon millions have already gotten the virus and recovered without seeing a doctor once.

I honestly hope you're right. Honestly that table is pretty horrific because of the kind of impact that can have on a country. Eugh my head's just not in a good place right now, sorry I'm not contributing something more intelligent. Trying to keep shit together for the mrs but the strain's beginning to show :(

Last edited by a moderator:

GHG

I know that but I see these numbers and alarm bells start ringing in my head for both mine and my wife's parents and my grandmother.

Doesn't help that we're also expats living in a different country to them so feel very much powerless in this situation.

Like my mums biggest concern at the moment is the fact that her holiday that she was due to go on next week got cancelled. She also would have gone if it wasn't cancelled by the travel agent. I'm like woman, do you understand what's going on right now!?!

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I know that but I see these numbers and alarm bells start ringing in my head for both mine and my wife's parents and my grandmother.

Doesn't help that we're also expats living in a different country to them so feel very much powerless in this situation.

Like my mums biggest concern at the moment is the fact that her holiday that she was due to go on next week got cancelled. She also would have gone if it wasn't cancelled by the travel agent. I'm like woman, do you understand what's going on right now!?!
I honestly hope you're right. Honestly that table is pretty horrific because of the kind of impact that can have on a country. Eugh my head's just not in a good place right now, sorry I'm not contributing something more intelligent.
You don't have to apologize. The virus has people rattled, rightly so.

It's a serious event. However, concerning the lethality of the virus and its ability to spread, I think we have greatly overestimated its deadliness and greatly underestimated how widespread it already is. I would wager that even among the vulnerable elderly demographic there are a lot who've already contracted it and gotten over it.

sinnergy

standard sugical masks won’t stop you from getting the virus because they aren’t sealed. It will help to prevent you from spreading it though if you’re contaminated. The doctors who are performing the tests on patients used sealed masks.
That’s why I said fpp3 mine are formed and for my size head.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member

It's a serious event. However, concerning the lethality of the virus and its ability to spread, I think we have greatly overestimated its deadliness and greatly underestimated how widespread it already is. I would wager that even among the vulnerable elderly demographic there are a lot who've already contracted it and gotten over it.

Weirdly the thing that's got me rattled isn't so much the lethality of it - it's obviously shit but I mean in my head I know what you're saying but there's still that nagging 'what if' but the bigger worry as stupid as it sounds is what the buggering hell is going to happen after. I mean the global economy is heading for fuckery and the question is whether I'll be able to continue supporting my wife, whether people around me will end up in poverty, what that will drive people to, etc. I honestly hope the government has the right plan to keep people alive economically as well as in health.

GHG

I hope you're right. If so we should see things settle down in the next few weeks and hopefully we can all return to normal ASAP.

The next 2-3 weeks will be critical everywhere.

8 former passengers on the Grand Princess cruise ship have returned home to Nebraska

Eight Nebraska residents who were passengers on the Grand Princess cruise ship returned back home Monday, according to a news release from the state's department of health.

More than 3,500 passengers and crew members on the liner were held off the coast of San Francisco for days after 21 people -- two passengers and 19 crew members -- tested positive for the illness.

The Nebraska residents disembarked the ship early last week and have been quarantined at a military facility in California before being flown back to Nebraska.

A total of 12 residents from Nebraska were on the ship. The remaining four are expected to return home in the next few days, the release stated.

UK warns coronavirus outbreak spreading faster than expected

The British government has warned that the coronavirus outbreak is spreading faster than it initially predicted, London Mayor Sadiq Khan said Tuesday.

The spread of the virus across the UK capital is "a few weeks ahead" of the rest of the country, Khan also said, citing guidance given by the government at Monday's emergency 'COBRA' meeting.

"I was told by the government, and the government's advisers, that London is a few weeks ahead of the rest of the country, and the way that this virus is spreading is faster than the government and advisers had thought," Khan said during an interview with ITV’s Good Morning Britain.

"We can understand why London is further ahead than the rest of the country, because of our connectivity, our global travel, our density," Khan said, highlighting that 23 people have so far died in London after contracting the virus.

"I think the advice given by the government now is the right advice...we've got to take sensible to steps to avoid the virus spreading faster," the mayor added.

Khan's remarks come just hours after Prime Minister Boris Johnson introduced new measures to tackle the spread of coronavirus, advising against all unnecessary social contact.

"Now is the time for everyone to stop non-essential contact with others and to stop all unnecessary travel," Johnson said Monday.
"We need people to start working from home where they possibly can and you should avoid pubs, clubs, theatres and other such social venues," he said.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
UK warns coronavirus outbreak spreading faster than expected

The British government has warned that the coronavirus outbreak is spreading faster than it initially predicted, London Mayor Sadiq Khan said Tuesday.

The spread of the virus across the UK capital is "a few weeks ahead" of the rest of the country, Khan also said, citing guidance given by the government at Monday's emergency 'COBRA' meeting.

"I was told by the government, and the government's advisers, that London is a few weeks ahead of the rest of the country, and the way that this virus is spreading is faster than the government and advisers had thought," Khan said during an interview with ITV’s Good Morning Britain.

"We can understand why London is further ahead than the rest of the country, because of our connectivity, our global travel, our density," Khan said, highlighting that 23 people have so far died in London after contracting the virus.

"I think the advice given by the government now is the right advice...we've got to take sensible to steps to avoid the virus spreading faster," the mayor added.

Khan's remarks come just hours after Prime Minister Boris Johnson introduced new measures to tackle the spread of coronavirus, advising against all unnecessary social contact.

"Now is the time for everyone to stop non-essential contact with others and to stop all unnecessary travel," Johnson said Monday.
"We need people to start working from home where they possibly can and you should avoid pubs, clubs, theatres and other such social venues," he said.

I watched that and honestly it was an exercise in Khan throwing the government under a bus. Total dick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom